Chess Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:00 am

Post by chesskid3 »

In post 7, Sudo_Nym wrote:To build on what Yaw said, memorizing openings is basically a waste of time. You want to have an idea of the opening, and the ability to analyze, but really, the opening's purpose is to get you to the middlegame as efficiently as possible. It's far better to spend time studying tactics and positioning if you want to get good. Understand what you're trying to do, how to get there, and how to stop your opponent from doing his thing. As they say, the middlegame is the soul of chess, and if you get good at it, you can generally make up for being somewhat weaker at openings and endgames.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (isolation #1) » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:57 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

I mean, I don't believe in the fried liver

but then again I also don't believe in the four knights kind of shit
and I don't play e5 as black

and I play the ruy lopez as white because it's just a slight advantage you can grind out
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (isolation #2) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

I mean yeah like

up until say 1600 level fuck openings
but if you want to get GOOD you need to know openings.

Or at least
the openings you play decently well and SOME of other shit

but the difference between a 2200 and a 2000 say is that the 2200 knows openings cold
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #56 (isolation #3) » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:14 am

Post by chesskid3 »

In post 54, ActionDan wrote:Anyone going to the Manhattan Open? I believe it's held at the end of August (like 25th-27th)

I am considering this. But the entry fee is already enough that I am not paying for a hotel >_<
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #65 (isolation #4) » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:53 am

Post by chesskid3 »

In post 62, Llamarble wrote:They will not help you become better at chess. Or at least certainly not compared to a normal chess book.
Those books are about looking at an implausible-looking position and determining what must have happened to create it.
Chess mysteries of Sherlock holmes is probably my favorite logic puzzle book though, so I would say you should buy it anyway :).

ihaveasignedcopy
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #66 (isolation #5) » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:56 am

Post by chesskid3 »

oh and yeah Dan I can chip in. But I am pretty broke, even after my summer earnings because most of it is already earmarked for my cut of college/owed for stuffz
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #69 (isolation #6) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

In post 68, Ellibereth wrote:He fails and is switching apartments and the tournament is between the sell and buy times.
sorry. >.>

FUCK YOU

Return to “The Arcade”