Kerbal Space program

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:09 am

Post by Who »

My greatest achievement is either landing on Tylo (unmanned) or landing and returning from Moho (manned). My current project in KSP is a mission to both Eeloo and Moho (Both manned landings, both with the capability to return but who probably won't return because profit). I won't use reverts, quick saves, or crew respawn for that, though for most things I allow myself reverts.

After I'm done with that I'll launch an unmanned mission to land on and then reorbit Laythe and Tylo (It will break up into two ships while around Jool), then depending on how that goes I'll launch a manned mission to those two.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:21 pm

Post by Who »

No I have not. I sorta tried a Kerbin rover before I knew about ijkl controls, but it completely failed.

There's not that much point to them. It's far easier to use suborbital hops/multiple landers to check out multiple biomes.

Speaking of multiple landers, another thing I once did which was awesome was launch a ship to Minmus which broke up into 9 landers, one for each biome. I'm not sure, but I think that that was before I learned about the amazingness of struts. If it wasn't then that was when I learned about them.

I should do the same thing for the Mun. That will be after the manned Jool mission.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #5 (isolation #2) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:07 am

Post by Who »

I meant strut connectors, not those other things.

I still don't use those other things with the name strut that often. Strut connectors on the other hand to absolutely everywhere.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #8 (isolation #3) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:42 am

Post by Who »

Interesting design. I generally do things a bit differently, I would post a pic but I'm currently without my computer for a while.

For example, I never have engines on the side connected by fuel lines like that, I'd just give them their own tank (Which may or may not be fuel lined to the central one). Also, since .24 I've stopped usng rockomax-sized parts for anything other than getting into orbit. I'll start using them again though, because the smaller parts aren't as good when carrying around multiple manned landers.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #10 (isolation #4) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:42 am

Post by Who »

The heavy interplanetary transfer stage I used in .235 and will soon use again formerly involved a rockomax jumbo, 4 lv-ns attached to radial fl-t800s, and a bunch of drop tanks. I suppose that I would get more delta-v by side feeding the lv-ns and changing the fl-t800s they're currently attached to into more drop tanks. I'm considering redesigning the entire thing though.

When launching the radially attached tanks are 100% necessary. Well, hypothetically I could redesign it but that would make it obscenely tall and a nightmare to stage...
And also a hair more effective. I should look into this.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #15 (isolation #5) » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:04 am

Post by Who »

In post 10, Who wrote:The heavy interplanetary transfer stage I used in .235 and will soon use again formerly involved a rockomax jumbo, 4 lv-ns attached to radial fl-t800s, and a bunch of drop tanks. I suppose that I would get more delta-v by side feeding the lv-ns and changing the fl-t800s they're currently attached to into more drop tanks. I'm considering redesigning the entire thing though.

When launching the radially attached tanks are 100% necessary. Well, hypothetically I could redesign it but that would make it obscenely tall and a nightmare to stage...
And also a hair more effective. I should look into this.

I take that back, I shouldn't. It would probably increase payload fraction by a bit, but it would make part count skyrocket.

(I was planning to put all my fuel into small tanks and ditch them as they ran out)
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #18 (isolation #6) » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:03 am

Post by Who »

Droptanks are a well-established thing, I think they might even be used irl. (They would be far less effective irl though, real fuel tanks have waaaaaayyy better mass ratios than KSP fuel tanks, so droptanks are less necessary)

I was planning to turn it up to 11 and make everything out of FL-T100s* and drop them as I used them.

*Actually given how decouplers have mass there might be a better option, I would do math and figure out which fuel tank was best. But I currently use rockomax jumbos, smaller tanks would definitely be better.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #20 (isolation #7) » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:43 am

Post by Who »

In post 19, Oman wrote:Career mode is hard. Funds and shit

I take it you have not yet figured out how to use bases and stations/satellites for massive profit?

Because they yield seriously massive profits if you know how. As in, enough that you will be swimming in funds no matter how much you spend massive.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #23 (isolation #8) » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:00 pm

Post by Who »

How to get rich quick in KSP:
Spoiler: Spoilered in case anyone enjoys not having funds
Step 1: Get a satellite with solar panels and which is capable of collecting and transmitting data in orbit of something
Step 2: Accept contract which tells you to "Get science data from space around ***" when ***=the thing you have said satellite orbiting
Step 3: ??? (Do experiment+transmit data)
Step 4: Profit!

Alternate method:
Step 1: Land "base" (Kerbal+command pod) on something
Step 2: Accept "plant flag on X" contract
Step 3: ??? (EVA, Plant a flag on X, return to capsule)
Step 4: Profit!

Useful notes:
You don't have to transmit data worth science. Provided you transmit any data, it doesn't matter how much or how little science you get from it.
You don't have to plant the flag of the company giving you the contract, it's just plant a flag, any flag.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #25 (isolation #9) » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:00 am

Post by Who »

In post 24, CooLDoG wrote:^or just build silly ships that you know will reach the proper conditions for a test... they look pretty fucked up, but they are dirt cheap and rake int he dough. Funds aren't a problem. Even when my ship costs a shit ton, I always have enough funds.

But that takes effort. Once you've launched the satellite (which can weigh as little as .04 tons), it's ~250k for just a few clicks.

Alternately you could accept all the missions, build a solid gold monument (Well, some really expensive thing anyway) with all your funds, cancel all the missions, you're at 0 funds so you lose nothing, recover the monument while it's still on the launchpad, repeat. But that tanks your reputation which might make you get bad contracts, idk I haven't tried it. Also it takes more effort than the satellite method.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #27 (isolation #10) » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:44 am

Post by Who »

In post 26, Klazam wrote:
In post 21, Klazam wrote:How do i get this game

ahem

Steam or here.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #29 (isolation #11) » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:23 am

Post by Who »

In post 28, Klazam wrote:goddamnit. was hoping it was free...

does it at least have a multiplayer aspect somehow?

It does not.
Well, I think there are mods that make it MP but other people are lame so why would you want to play with them?

Also, there's a free demo. If you're unwilling to spend money then play that until you are.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #38 (isolation #12) » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:57 am

Post by Who »

Finally I have access to a computer again, time to do the Eeloo-Moho mission.

I take back what I said about not reverting
, instead I'll do a no-revert career save (Max out tech tree+Explore all bodies) as soon as I'm done with it. And also in that save I'll do a manned Tylo landing+return. And then an Eve return.

I take back what I said about not reverting for this mission. I have an excessively large pile of funds and reverting really doesn't mean anything.

Going back to the space center while still in the atmosphere reverts anyway because it won't let me leave the test-rocket to die. Bah.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #39 (isolation #13) » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Post by Who »

Despite a mishap involving one stage hitting the next and destroying the rocket, the Explorer made it into orbit. I'm very glad I switched off revert, otherwise I would just have reverted but instead I went "Shit shit shit" for a few seconds, tried to figure out how to abort and save the pilots, could not think of a way, realized that I could just decouple both the rocket-less fuel tank and the rocket+tank on the other side to maintain symmetry, went through a few scary but exhilarating seconds while I searched for the decouplers, and got to space. Then when getting to orbit I ran out of fuel on the launch stage when I had a periapsis of 56km, but fortunately that was high enough that the transfer stage could bring it into space.

Also Eeloo is in a really shitty point in its orbit right now, I think I'll need to timewarp a few years.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #42 (isolation #14) » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Post by Who »

So that Eeloo/Moho thing still hasn't happened yet. Eeloo is in a shitty point, and the launch window planner lied and the point where I thought it would be good still isn't good. So I've been doing other things while I wait.

I flew close to the sun with a Kerbal, which I had done before in my other file. Now I'm planning to return from Tylo and Eve.

I'm going to look into the many-staged FL-T100 monstrosity I thought about earlier. When it comes to Tylo and Eve it might help.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #43 (isolation #15) » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:07 am

Post by Who »

So I sorta stopped playing for a bit. But now that .25 is out I'm playing again.

Difficulties and strategies make things interesting when starting, but later in the game they probably won't add anything. I haven't used any of the new parts yet though, cargo bays might be really helpful.

And I love the new navball.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #45 (isolation #16) » Wed May 06, 2015 3:52 pm

Post by Who »

Are you playing career mode or science mode?

In career mode you can complete science giving contracts, but you shouldn't need to. Are you sure you've done all the science everywhere you can go? Where have you gone so far?
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #48 (isolation #17) » Thu May 07, 2015 10:59 am

Post by Who »

You get science by doing experiments at a particular place.

If you do an experiment landed at Kerbin, you can still do the experiment in space and get more science. Also, as KJ said, biomes are a thing. Different areas on the same planet in the same altitude (as in, ground/flying/flying high/space/far space) will give different science.
Who said that?
Or is it?

Return to “The Arcade”