League of Legends (Old)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #32446 (isolation #0) » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:45 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I play league, on NA, same name as here, and I'm not that good. Was Silver V last season but thanks to the Yi Rework and support items rework, am much worse this season (used to main AP Yi mid and Sona support). Got placed in Bronze V to start the season after some poor games and poor luck in my first ten of this season, made it up to a promo series to Bronze II but lost, and have been fluctuating in the Bronze III-IV range ever since. Recently demoted to Bronze IV after a horrible losing streak (7 games in a row and counting) :(. I tend to be a low-death player (ignore the Vayne travesty in my match history) but often low-kill as a result of playing safely.

Current mains in order of preference:

Syndra, Tristana (ADC), Nami, Ziggs, Miss Fortune, Lucian.

I like long range champs without too-excessive micro; I'm better at builds/decision-making/countering than I am at actual mechanics.

I play on a 3v3 team with two friends from another site I'm active on, where I main Ziggs and Syndra. Currently 3-2 and in Bronze II, lack of overlapping schedules makes it hard for us to get more games in.

Welcoming champion suggestions! Also feel free to add me on NA and hit me up for a game sometime! I love Dominion and ARAM too! *goes back to grinding soloqueue and trying to get better*
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32450 (isolation #1) » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:31 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 32449, Iecerint wrote:
In post 32446, theelkspeaks wrote:I play league, on NA, same name as here, and I'm not that good. Was Silver V last season but thanks to the Yi Rework and support items rework, am much worse this season (used to main AP Yi mid and Sona support). Got placed in Bronze V to start the season after some poor games and poor luck in my first ten of this season, made it up to a promo series to Bronze II but lost, and have been fluctuating in the Bronze III-IV range ever since. Recently demoted to Bronze IV after a horrible losing streak (7 games in a row and counting) :(. I tend to be a low-death player (ignore the Vayne travesty in my match history) but often low-kill as a result of playing safely.

Current mains in order of preference:

Syndra, Tristana (ADC), Nami, Ziggs, Miss Fortune, Lucian.

I like long range champs without too-excessive micro; I'm better at builds/decision-making/countering than I am at actual mechanics.

I play on a 3v3 team with two friends from another site I'm active on, where I main Ziggs and Syndra. Currently 3-2 and in Bronze II, lack of overlapping schedules makes it hard for us to get more games in.

Welcoming champion suggestions! Also feel free to add me on NA and hit me up for a game sometime! I love Dominion and ARAM too! *goes back to grinding soloqueue and trying to get better*

Those are all pretty OP champions right now, though the nerfbat is coming for Lucian.

Sona's still really strong; she's top 10 in ranked team Diamond right now, and just started getting picked in LCS in the last two weeks or so. Enjoy her now before her rework comes -- though they just buffed her PBE rework slightly, so maybe she'll end up in an OK place.

I think the viability of tank supports in season 4 (especially early game) is what's made Sona so much harder to play for me this season, and why I've switched to Nami (and Morgana to a lesser extent).

I started playing Trist around the release of Yasuo (had been maining MF pretty thoroughly before that) as a way to synergize with Yasuo's ult, and she's a really fun champ to play. The recent itemization changes make me fear for the inevitable nerf though.

I really need a good safe jungler and top laner to play, most of my champ pool in those roles is either out of date or situational (I sometimes get away with a mage (Ziggs or Syndra) top if the matchup is right, but otherwise have to play an old tank like Amumu, Malphite, Volibear, or Shen, and often get bullied by the Wukong/Pantheon type. Jungle wise it mostly comes down to Tiger Udyr or Amumu for me, but neither of those is really happy in this meta either.) I'm trying to pick up Irelia, but it's not going great so far.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32454 (isolation #2) » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:17 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 32453, Papa Zito wrote:
In post 32446, theelkspeaks wrote:Got placed in Bronze V to start the season after some poor games and poor luck in my first ten of this season, made it up to a promo series to Bronze II but lost, and have been fluctuating in the Bronze III-IV range ever since. Recently demoted to Bronze IV after a horrible losing streak (7 games in a row and counting) :(.

Welcoming champion suggestions!

There's no one champ that will get you out of Bronze. Likewise, there is no one build that will get you elo. There are no magic bullets in this game. One of the biggest myths I've seen in my climb is the thinking that if some player could just get that ONE perfect build, that ONE perfect champ, then everything will be gravy and it's Diamond time! Riot has done a fantastic job of making sure this never happens. If you want to get back to Silver record your games via your favorite method and then watch them. Note your mistakes and don't do those again. Watch a few pro streams and note how they position, the decisions they make, their item choices and warding patterns. (suggest you look for Geranimo type streamers vs Dyrus type streamers)

gl hf dd

Yeah, I'm not looking for a get-elo-quick magic bullet in asking for champion suggestions, just asking for tips on who's worth learning to play well and either fits well with the playstyle I already have (for example learning Syndra for her similarities to Ziggs) or fills gaps I need filled (I don't really play any early-game junglers and should probably learn one). Finding champs who are on the strong side is useful too.

Any suggestions for good streamers for learning to ward better, especially as ADC and mid?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32460 (isolation #3) » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 32457, AngryPidgeon wrote:
In post 32456, Iecerint wrote:I think it's much more important to play a champion well than to play an "OP" champion.

Sssshhhh, we don't want to start an uproar with these blasphemous preachings.

That's how I feel about MF (and used to feel about Karthus, though I've liked him a little less lately than I used to - even if not in vogue, they're solid picks that I know what I'm doing on).
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32465 (isolation #4) » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:25 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 32464, BROseidon wrote:Learn Malz.

He's super fun, has crazy overtuned damage, and nobody knows how to play vs him.

In all seriousness, just get good at stuff you enjoy..

I was playing him during early 2014 pretty regularly, I really love Malzahar! (I actually discovered him in Snowdown Showdown and decided to play him SR as well) Any good tips you'd like to share for playing him? I tend to use my E for safe farming in lane, and try to stay as far back as I can, and use a tanky AP build (ROA -> Hourglass -> Void -> Deathcap, for example)
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32487 (isolation #5) » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:59 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I usually ran heal/flash on Malz, but I'll consider running Ignite. Might give me more early game.

Edit: Still ran heal because I was against Ziggs, it worked pretty well!

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 9/50095874

Thanks for the tips guys!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32598 (isolation #6) » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:19 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 32595, Oman wrote:I'm falling slowly in love with MF. There's this weird point though where her ult feels useless if it hits any less than 4 people. I mean, my q was doing INSANE damages (crazy ratios, man) by the endgame, but my ult was still doing a little bit.

I've been loving duelist MF since preseason, she's so fun! Getting triforce on her, while not the most popular build, actually has some decent results - with it, almost no other ADC can beat her in a straight 1v1 thanks to both Q and W.

And the ult can also be used like Lucian's if the other team isn't grouped up (i.e. hitting someone out of range of your regular skills).
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32603 (isolation #7) » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:35 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

A while ago I remember seeing an AP Maokai mid who used saplings to bully midlaners much like a bombing Ziggs. Anyone know if that still works post-rework?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32650 (isolation #8) » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:43 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 32648, Saki wrote:I have lost every single game that I have built Essence Reaver on an ADC.

it will never be worth it no matter how much more they buff it

like, really.
no.
pls no.

please do not ever fucking buy this item.

Looks like it might be worthwhile for some non ADCs now, like Jayce? Maybe Pantheon?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32814 (isolation #9) » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:29 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I just played Gragas top in a game and I enjoyed playing him, but I'm not sure what buildpath is strongest on him.

I started ring and pots, rushed RoA, then went for Sunfire and Visage, into Sorc Boots, Iceborn, and a 6th item Liandry's because I wasn't really sure what to get on him. The game itself went 64 mins, so everyone was at full build, and I felt kind of underwhelming late. Is that just his power curve, or was that a poor build?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32831 (isolation #10) » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:25 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 32821, mykonian wrote:gragas build:

targons, sightstone, mobi, then branch with wardens/randuins, locket, frozen fist (esspecially for glacial) and visage as the bigger options depending on the opposing team.

;)

I was playing top, not support :P

If I were playing support, I'd just play Nami or Sona
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32930 (isolation #11) » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:28 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

How do I survive early game as Ryze? I just got owned by Ahri really badly.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32966 (isolation #12) » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:18 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Dear former Sona mains,

Nami is your new friend.

(But seriously)
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33028 (isolation #13) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:13 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I'm also on PBE. Starting playing right around the release of Elise, forget the date. Got onto PBE several months after I applied, which was like April of this year.

Also I've had honor ribbons literally since they were released, occasionally changing color - I've had all 4 at different points in time, but have been on a green for at least 5 months. Not sure if that helped me get on.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33524 (isolation #14) » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:23 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

I'm just about to start playing mid for a Ranked 5's team with a couple friends from another site, and I'd like to expand my champion pool a little. Currently I primarily play Syndra, Ziggs, and Malzahar in the midlane, with occasional niche matchup-based picks in Solo Queue like Akali or Rammus that probably aren't as well suited for 5's play. (Thanks for tipping me off to Malzahar by the way!)

What does that champion pool lack most? What champions should I practice so that I can play them? I own nearly all champions, but I'm not an especially high APM player, so champions that require high APM are probably not well suited for me. Our team's bot lane are our two highest ranked players, so supportive midlaners are probably worth learning - but I don't have good ideas of which ones I ought to practice.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33527 (isolation #15) » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:07 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Last time I tried Zed, he was a little too high on the APM for me. I might try him again though, he could be useful. How's Talon APM wise?

Forgot to mention, but in case it's important - our ADC mostly plays Cait and Trist, and our Support plays Leona most often, followed by Morg and Thresh. Which does mean that Morg is unlikely to be available to me.

Orianna synergizes well with Leona, right?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33696 (isolation #16) » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Anyone have a favorite mid lane streamer? Preferably one that commentates a lot for the benefit of bad players?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33918 (isolation #17) » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:37 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

elk here! I've been checking out that factions thing, and I think I'm going to declare for Bilgewater, but I'm not sure how to join - the link on the site for joining appears to still point to the last arc.

Summoner name is also "theelkspeaks", on NA, Bronze II mid main, but hoping to play mostly ADC in factions (former ADC main, MF was one of my main ADCs then, and Graves is currently my go-to ADC when someone else takes mid).

Also, looking for a good "easy" jungle champ to play when I end up jungling in SoloQ - it's my weakest role right now, and I'd just like to add a champ or two who's rarely banned/picked by the other team, doesn't have hard counter matchups (at low elo) and isn't mechanically intense. Basically, a jungler who's there to let his team carry him while contributing in some way. I've been jungling Yi or Tiger Udyr (as Feral Farmers), and I used to jungle Shen, Malphite, and Vi (as tanky junglers). Not sure how strong any of those are at the moment. I play some Maokai top when not picked/banned, but I don't know how to jungle as him. Any suggestions?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33934 (isolation #18) » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:33 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 33925, BROseidon wrote:Also I'd be willing to do some coaching. If you can make a Mac-friendly recording of your games, I can do an ls-style coaching (but not as good because I'm not that good)

Are OP.gg replays Mac-friendly?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34050 (isolation #19) » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:04 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Suddenly digging up Nautilus to practice for Factions - this champ is so hard!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34105 (isolation #20) » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:12 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34089, RayFrost wrote:Wukong top shouldn't even be a thing it's a horrible idea that's punished so much by so many things mother of god please stop doing it

Also, nautilus isn't that great right now because of how much weight has gone into more mobile, more flexible champions. Why pick naut when you can go kz / j4 / etc who all have better damage, more mobility, better dueling in the jungle, and still respectable/good ganking capabilities?

I mean, nautilus can't really be built damage if you need to snowball that way. Meanwhile, champs like j4 / kz can build damage items or build tankiness and be really good
either way

I'm trying to learn Nautilus because of Factions, where he's basically Bilgewater's only jungle option. I plan to play mostly ADC (MF/Graves) and support (Nami), but figured I should have some practice on our jungler in case it's needed.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34194 (isolation #21) » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:14 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Opinions on how strong Maokai top and Maokai jungle are after the recent nerfs? I mostly stick to mid/supp/adc, so I'm not really sure if he's still worth picking.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34226 (isolation #22) » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:31 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34224, JasonWazza wrote:
In post 34222, Iecerint wrote:The stacking rate doubles once you get AAs, if you didn't know. It's +4 vs. +8 per spell cast.

Tear -> RoA -> AA to maximize your ramp-up rate. Get a glacial thing along the way if you need the armor for your match-up, though.

+8 is only Crystal Scar, all you gain is the ability to stack off Auto's (which means you don't have to spam spells.)

Nope. +8 is for Seraph's, but you don't stack off autos. +4 but also stack off autos is for Manamune.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34231 (isolation #23) » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:47 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Hmmm, sounds interesting. How do I Fiora?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34272 (isolation #24) » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:58 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

I've long felt that Tristana's Q is one of the most fun abilities in the game. Then again, I love destroying turrets
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34303 (isolation #25) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:18 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I'm surprised not to see MF on the best ADCs list. I've been playing her again a little and she's still really strong. Might be a low elo thing though - maybe high elo players can take advantage of her weaknesses better (much like Malzahar).
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34347 (isolation #26) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34346, JasonWazza wrote:Yeah everyone build's Gnar way too squishy for what he is, i saw one get 3 shot by a vayne because of him being full squish, couldn't stop laughing.

In post 34306, Iecerint wrote:What are people's thoughts about TF on MF? The 3s CD on her Q works nice with it, she has AP ratios to use the AP bits of it, and the mobility should be handy on an escape-challenged ADC. But it's never really built on her.

I think the main problem would be (personal opinion) that the Tri force would proc on the first shot of her Q, and that is generally designed to be the lead to a champion.

Personally i find her strong with IE, BC, BT.

I love Triforce on MF, though I've always valued her for her dueling potential nearly as much as for her ult. I'm not personally a fan of BC on her, but I can see why people like it. For me, something like BT > IE > LW > TF is reasonable, as is Vamp > TF > BT > LW > IE. Getting Sheen if I have to back somewhere between 1200 and 1500 gold early game does give a nice powerspike.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34354 (isolation #27) » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:53 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

There are painful losses, and then there's this loss. In my promo series no less :(.

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 0/50095874
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34358 (isolation #28) » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:12 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Mostly it was the losing after having both nexus turrets down at 36 minutes and getting the nexus to half health twice. We thought we had a lead from the 25 minute mark (when I got a lucky triple) until the enemy's first Baron, though, so seeing the total gold graph shows that it was worse for us than we thought.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34361 (isolation #29) » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:13 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34360, Maestro wrote:
In post 34358, theelkspeaks wrote:(when I got a lucky triple)

and just before, Malph stole a penta :o

Actually, Malph got a kill on Trist right at the start of the fight, then I cleaned up the four survivors at the end of a fight. Lucian and I were pushing, Trist came up and tried to stop us, I went for the penta hoping it was still in time, but Lucian got the kill.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34372 (isolation #30) » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:29 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Champions I don't currently own: Gnar, Vel'Koz, Lissandra, Varus, Skarner, Wukong, Cassiopeia, Olaf. Current IP: 7108. I'm thinking I'd like to buy a champ soon, but I can't decide who - anyone on that list worth getting and learning?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34380 (isolation #31) » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:17 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34379, Oman wrote:TBH I don't know anyone who is invested in the lore. Find it interesting, sure, find it fun, sure, but invested?

You realize quite a few of the players in this thread play factions, right? :P (FOR BILGEWATER!)
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34385 (isolation #32) » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:35 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34384, Oman wrote:
In post 34383, animorpherv1 wrote:I believe Oman!

Lofty fuckin' heights!

Where you up to, mate?

Summoner name, server, main role/champs?

I've been up and down between BII and BIII on NA, if you're also NA we can duo sometime!

Main roles for me are
Mid: Malz, Orianna, Akali, Orianna, and niche pick Rammus as a Talon counter.
ADC: MF, Graves, Trist, sometimes Ashe or Sivir
Supp: Nami, Sona, Morgana
when top, I tend to play Malphite, currently training Fiora in normals with hopes of moving her to ranked soon.
please don't make me jungle. But if my team needs, I can play J4 or something. I love jungle, but I've been sucking at it basically all season :(
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34394 (isolation #33) » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:11 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

That awkward moment when the guy you agree to swap with in champ select swaps you Elise instead of J4 for no apparent reason....

That happy moment when you win anyway thanks to that guy playing Darius and an epic Syndra carrying you.

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 8/50095874

On a related note, how do I midgame as Elise? I went from 3/1/2 to 4/11/16, so something clearly went wrong in my midgame.

EDIT: Also, hey Saki, how do you mid/late game as Fiora? I've been practicing her a little in normals and stuff, and the laning is going ok, but I'm not sure what to do after that (how to teamfight and/or splitpush as Fiora, basically).
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34403 (isolation #34) » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:47 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34401, PJ. wrote:
In post 34394, theelkspeaks wrote:That awkward moment when the guy you agree to swap with in champ select swaps you Elise instead of J4 for no apparent reason....

That happy moment when you win anyway thanks to that guy playing Darius and an epic Syndra carrying you.

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 8/50095874

On a related note, how do I midgame as Elise? I went from 3/1/2 to 4/11/16, so something clearly went wrong in my midgame.

EDIT: Also, hey Saki, how do you mid/late game as Fiora? I've been practicing her a little in normals and stuff, and the laning is going ok, but I'm not sure what to do after that (how to teamfight and/or splitpush as Fiora, basically).

If you listen to Saki you'll never get to mid or late game.

I'm in NA Bronze III. Every game gets to mid or late game because everyone sucks and no one can end games.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34409 (isolation #35) » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:11 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34408, PJ. wrote:
In post 34405, Oman wrote:Bronze advice: to get through mid game you need to group earlier than your opponents. Once you knock one tower down, get together with your now free laner and run to bot. If your free laner is bot, run mid, then hard shove that turret down.

No, it's probably not best practice, but in bronze they won't react, you'll get the turret (or dragon or both) then you'll all go do what you want. Also, my own advice as a jungler is rush jungle item then sightstone then ward aggressively mid game in the jungle paths between their lanes. You're looking to stand with a damage dealer and use your cc and what tankiness you have to get them a kill or two.

Bronzies are fucking hard to predict because we don't play optimally, so vision is an important part of it all. With a cc jungler like Elise you want to get your buffs together, then go after their buffs, pick off roamers when you can. Basically be the first team to move from laning into team fights so you have the numbers advantage for the first fight or two. If you get a few kills for your carries but don't take objectives that's okay, so long as you're keeping to the gold advantage.

I'd add to what panzer says with "wait for their carry to run out front to poke, which they will because they're retarded, then cc them and pop"

Mine was pretty fiora specific. If you're jungling, just play Amumu. seriously.

Amumu, Malph, and J4 are my most preferred junglers for pretty much that reason - your team (more or less) can't miss the fact that you're initiating. Just figured I'd ask about Elise after the way that game went, because my jungling's been my worst role this season, and I know she's a strong pick.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34468 (isolation #36) » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:21 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34465, Ser Arthur Dayne wrote:Honestly one thing I recommended to a bronze friend that has helped him is to create a notepad page with champions in each role that he can play very well (and learn what each of them counters, which out of the ones listed is correct to pick in different situations, etc), and only play out of that pool. And open that every time you're in champ select. It helps you focus during champ select SOOO much. Because what ends up happening in lower elo is people sometimes people just pick champions based on "hunches", etc.

Here's an extremely good example (might or might not be biased because it's mine :shifty: )

TOP: Ryze, Fiora, Tryndamere, Malphite, Wukong
JUNGLE: Amumu, Fiddle, Wukong, Rammus, Shaco, Hecarim
MID: Karthus, Malzhar, Fizz, Soraka, Zilean, Talon
ADC: Lucian
Support: Morgana, Zyra, Braum, Brand, Zilean, Karma

BANS: WW, Braum, Maokai, Zed, Tristana, Alistar, Fizz, Yasuo, Leona

some of it is a little outdated (raka mid being the obvious one) but you get the point.
also obviously have a main position (ex i play about 90% mid, and then 95% of it is either Karthus or Talon right now).

I really like this suggestion, and I've been trying to do something like this - though I'll admit I don't always know which champion from my list is right for a situation. Any chance you could take a look at my current list and help me out with figuring out the cases for when to pick what?

my list from best role to worst role

MID (main role): Malzahar, Orianna, Heimerdinger, Syndra, Ziggs, Akali, Rammus (vs. AD melee only)
ADC: MF, Sivir, Ashe, Graves
Support: Nami, Sona, Morgana, Braum
TOP: Malphite, Amumu, Maokai, Shen, Fiora
JUNGLE: Amumu, Jarvan IV, Master Yi, Vi
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34481 (isolation #37) » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:54 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34479, Ser Arthur Dayne wrote:disclaimer: my opinions

In post 34468, theelkspeaks wrote:I really like this suggestion, and I've been trying to do something like this - though I'll admit I don't always know which champion from my list is right for a situation. Any chance you could take a look at my current list and help me out with figuring out the cases for when to pick what?

my list from best role to worst role

MID (main role): Malzahar, Orianna, Heimerdinger, Syndra, Ziggs, Akali, Rammus (vs. AD melee only)

Okay so since we're both mid mains and I'm somewhat busy, I can do a your mids vs mids for you to generally show you what you should be picking.

HOWEVER
(I can't emphasize this enough) your pick should not only be based on your lane opponent. It also depends on things like your team's front line, their team's front line, how much ap vs ad you have, how much ap vs ad they have, how many people with gap closers do you have, how many do they have, how strong is your team's late game, how strong is your team's early game, their team's early and late game, your team's cc vs their team's cc, etc etc.

For example, personally I would never pick talon into a team with a maokai, because he generally hard counters assassins extremely hard.

This also assumes that you play every one of those champions equally good. But you know yourself best, so adjust accordingly.

First, general trends:
- Syndra is the best lane bully you have in terms of harass and poking.
- Malzhar is best lane bully to deny farm and shove lane, strong late game tank buster. Note that he also does fairly well vs ad champions (by far the best from your list).
- Akali most mobile, easiest to get to backline, best roamer post-6. She's also not someone you generally want to pick VERSUS a particular lane opponent, but rather VERSUS an enemy team as a whole.
- Ziggs best champ to stall to late game (for example lets say your have a ryze top kog bot and they have a very strong mid game, dont try to fight them - tell your team to farm up and you just clear waves).
- Orianna is somewhat of a jack of all trades. But she doesn't really excel at anything necessarily. However she provides some really nice cc and engages if you have something like a zac on your team.
- Heimerdinger is a HIGHLY niche pick, and generally can be replaced with one of your other champions anyway even in the rare situations.
- You really don't need to be playing mid rammus - like ever. Again, Malzhar does fairly well vs AD meeles.

Now for actual mid vs mid. (First it's best champ to pick, second is second best, etc. Again, theoretically assuming you play them all around same level)

Spoiler:
Ahri - Malzhar, Syndra, Orianna
Akali - Malzhar, Syndra
Anivia - Ziggs, Malzhar, Orianna, Syndra
Brand - Syndra, Ziggs
Cassiopeia - Ziggs, Orianna, Syndra
Diana - Malzhar
Fizz - Malzhar, Akali, Heim
Galio - Orianna, Malzhar
Heimerdinger - Syndra, Malzhar, Orianna, Ziggs
Karthus - Malzhar, Syndra, Orianna
Kassadin - Malzhar, Syndra
Katarina - Malzhar, Orianna
Kayle - Orianna, Syndra, Malzhar
LeBlanc - Malzhar, Syndra
Lissandra - Orianna, Syndra
Lux - Syndra
Malzahar - Ziggs (
though really hard to do well against with any of your champion pool
)
Orianna - Malzhar, Syndra, Akali
Ryze - Malzhar
Swain - Syndra, Malzhar
Syndra - Malzhar
Talon - Malzhar
Twisted Fate - Orianna, Syndra
Veigar - Syndra, Malzhar, Akali
Vel'Koz - Malzhar, Orianna
Viktor - Syndra, Malzhar, Orianna
Xerath - Orianna, Ziggs
Yasuo- Malzhar
Zed - Malzhar
Ziggs - Orianna, Syndra, Akali, Malzhar
Zilean - Orianna, Malzhar

Wow, thanks so much for that - that's some good things to keep in mind! I've found Malzahar tends to get popped a little too easily against Talon and Zed - any tips on those matchups specifically?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34488 (isolation #38) » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:46 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34483, Ser Arthur Dayne wrote:Vs Zed if you rush seekers then go liandry's->rylais you really shouldn't have any problem vs him. you might be building malzhar too squishy. reason he does well vs ads and general bursty heroes is his build path allows him to build tanky.

The talon matchup is admittedly very very harder. Talon will give almost every midlaner a lot of trouble, but malzhar is actually one of his closest counters. If you can land some good Qs and either have Es bounce to him or just E him you can deal with him fairly easily because he should always be chucking potions and scared to engage you. Thing is, don't be afraid to go aggro level 1/2 on Talon to establish lane dominance. Talon generally doesn't all in you till level 3.

Edit: Oh right to add to wait Ani said, if they ever DO leave lane, Malzhar actually can take towers pretty quickly compared to other APs. And in fact, Malzhar rarely gives breathing room for opponents to even roam.
Edit 2: Oh lol I spell Malzahar without the other a ;_; Maybe it's because that's the way I pronounce it :p

Rushing seekers is a good idea. Most of the time on Malz I play the Liandry's->Rylai's build, but going for the early Armor before that might help keep me alive. Thanks!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34503 (isolation #39) » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:31 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

The recent itemization changes were kind to Tristana, as was the buff to the range of her ult. I picked her up slightly before that buff and was happy with where she was, but that buff pushed her over the top and into FotM status.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34527 (isolation #40) » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:17 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

INHOUS still going on? I'm theelkspeaks on NA.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34530 (isolation #41) » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Got my butt whooped in my first inhouse, sorry team.

At least I learned something! (Thanks Ray for chatting with me afterwards)
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34533 (isolation #42) » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:03 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Akali vs. Yasuo for me now, should be an interesting lane.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34535 (isolation #43) » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:42 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34534, RayFrost wrote:I'm like 100% sure akali destroys that lane.

I probably should destroy that lane (I picked into it on purpose), but I play a little too scared of Yasuo and get bullied off the CS pre-6. I have trouble reading when yasuo can just triple Q Quad E at me and kill me vs. when it's safe to engage. Still, I went 1/0/0 in lane (the kill was on the jungler), got picked off a couple times to end up 4/7/4, but got a triple in the last teamfight to end 7/7/5.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34537 (isolation #44) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:52 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34536, Venmar wrote:Don't engage when he has his tornado, or at least don't trade with him when he has it. Let him waste it then smash his face in.

This is what I like to call the "Bronze Yasuo problem"

When I play him (in normals for fun, I suck at him so he's not for ranked for me), I feel like I never have tornado up to cast when I want it.

When I play against him, that damn thing has like a 1 second cooldown. Have another tornado, and another, and another!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34628 (isolation #45) » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:29 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

God, I hate teams that bicker to no end. Our Ashe, Malphite (AP Mid), and Gnar (Top) were bickering basically the entire game. I was on Sona support. Malph and I both connected a little late, and Gnar just kept screaming at the jungler for camping Malph's lane because "he connected late, he deserves to lose lane". Meanwhile, I've gotten Ashe to 4/0/0 and I'm 0/1/2. Malph uses ignite when we have a 3v1 on the enemy Volibear (to prevent passive's healing), and Ashe blows up at him for wasting a summoner spell since we should've been able to kill him anyway. Later, Malph and I overextend trying to get a kill on the enemy Xin, but we get collapsed on and malph dies. Ashe and Gnar both blow up at Malph, and Malph blows up at Ashe for not ulting to try to save us (it wouldn't have worked anyway).

We eventually win thanks to correctly womboing a teamfight at the enemy mid inhib turret, but jeez. I just needed somewhere to vent about people that won't shut up.

(the game in question linked): http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 095874/eog
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34630 (isolation #46) » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:14 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34629, Saki wrote:
In post 34628, theelkspeaks wrote:God, I hate teams that bicker to no end. Our Ashe, Malphite (AP Mid), and Gnar (Top) were bickering basically the entire game. I was on Sona support. Malph and I both connected a little late, and Gnar just kept screaming at the jungler for camping Malph's lane because "he connected late, he deserves to lose lane". Meanwhile, I've gotten Ashe to 4/0/0 and I'm 0/1/2. Malph uses ignite when we have a 3v1 on the enemy Volibear (to prevent passive's healing), and Ashe blows up at him for wasting a summoner spell since we should've been able to kill him anyway. Later, Malph and I overextend trying to get a kill on the enemy Xin, but we get collapsed on and malph dies. Ashe and Gnar both blow up at Malph, and Malph blows up at Ashe for not ulting to try to save us (it wouldn't have worked anyway).

We eventually win thanks to correctly womboing a teamfight at the enemy mid inhib turret, but jeez. I just needed somewhere to vent about people that won't shut up.

(the game in question linked): http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 095874/eog

puh-
leeease

you can't even call this bickering in solo queue
its just your ordinary conversation over a cup of tea

I'm just summarizing the key highlights. They basically never stopped yelling at each other all game, and Gnar kept trying to /ff every 3 minutes because "I'd rather lose than keep playing with this Malphite".
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34631 (isolation #47) » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:38 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Then again, I tend to have pretty calm and good-spirited teammates, I never really see the kind of ragers most people talk about, so maybe I'm just not used to it.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34641 (isolation #48) » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:23 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Who's the best ADC for a bad player who just wants to get a shit-ton of CS and not die in the first 20 minutes? I feel like my farm game has been a little lacking, and my ability to play any given ADC is roughly equal aside from say Ezreal, Quinn, or Caitlyn (all three of which I find lacking in endgame damage and myself too poor a player to close out the game before it reaches late game.

When I play ADC (my second-best role, so reasonably often), I used to have really high CS on my best champs (MF and Trist at that time) compared to the other players in the game, at least once outfarming a proxy Singed on the enemy team, but lately I've been getting less CS and I'm not really sure why. I liked the power that having tons of gold gave me, and at my ELO, having consistent high CS is a pretty good way to have more gold than the other team.

My current ADC pool is MF, Trist, Ashe, and Sivir, with Ashe pretty much only picked if I see a Twitch, Trist, or Cait on the enemy team, and Sivir picked if I see a Blitzcrank on the enemy team - MF or Trist in all other cases. I own all ADCs except Varus, and as I said, can play most of them at roughly similar levels.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34675 (isolation #49) » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:25 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

With respect to the Caitlyn suggestion, how do I make Caitlyn still matter after 30-40 mins? I feel like her late game damage has been underwhelming most of the times I've played her, which is why she's been one of my least favorite ADCs.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34680 (isolation #50) » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34679, Brian Skies wrote:Can't decide whether or not I'm abusing Alistar in my current ladder climb. Something like 8-0 since I started using him again.

Under what circumstances do you pick Alistar? (also, top or supp?)
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34700 (isolation #51) » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:40 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I'm very firmly in the "never mute anyone" camp, though I also have more patience than most people. If you're going to rage back, mute them so you don't, but if you can stay calm, don't mute them, instead try to calm them all down, and try to be the best shotcaller for your team you can be (even if you don't usually shotcall). If two teammates are bickering, they'll never listen to each other's calls, so you have to step up and do it yourself.

Remember the golden rule of shotcallling: 5 people following a bad call is better than 3 people following a good call.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34701 (isolation #52) » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:42 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I'll also add this: I play at least 10 ranked soloqueue games a week, and I've had maybe 3 games with truly horribly obnoxious teammates since May. Those who are bad are pretty bad, but most of the time you won't get horrible flamers/ragers/trolls.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34702 (isolation #53) » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:08 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

And that'll be my perfect icon for Ascension.

5 total Ascensions this game: Sivir, Jax, Jax, Lucian, Sivir

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 4/50095874
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34708 (isolation #54) » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:39 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

First thoughts meta-wise:

Gragas is super useful for protecting your Ascended champs.

And then there's Ascended Mundo *shudders* you can't ever kill that thing.

I feel like "long range peel" (Gragas E, Alistar W, Maokai E, and so on) is super super important. Also, stealing Xerath from the other team is surprisingly fun and (at least at my ELO) easy. Since there's no such thing as smite for Xerath, any champion with a skillshot or gapcloser has a chance to steal it.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34760 (isolation #55) » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:48 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Based on some in-houses with RL friends yesterday, Ascended Xin Zhao is a thing of terror.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34795 (isolation #56) » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:13 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I mean, I'm in Bronze, and I complain about and/or take advantage of Bronze logic all the time.

I totally get away with shit half the time that I can only get away with because the people I'm playing against suck. Then the other half of the time I suck.

P-edit: To elaborate on Panzer's post, I'm trying to both find the Bronze logic in my own play to get rid of it, and also to find how I can win games because of opponents' Bronze logic. Grouping as 5 mid and just shoving would probably lose in high-level games, but it works wonders in Bronze because the other team won't react in time half the time and you get free turrets, for example.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34799 (isolation #57) » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:38 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34797, JasonWazza wrote:And after one game of lulu, i am now adding her to my ranked list for mid lane (there are unavoidable times of getting mid sadly), what matchups are bad for her in mid?

The problem with solo lane Lulu is that you can't carry hard enough in low ELO - she's an awesome supportive midlaner who can help your teammates carry, but it's hard to carry as a Lulu, according to a Bronze/Silver friend of mine who used to main Lulu (recently promoted to Silver).
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34808 (isolation #58) » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:42 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I'm not sure if this is just me or if this applies to anyone else, but I've found that I can only snap severe losing streaks by picking the less common champs in my pool. i.e. recently, I've been playing mostly Malzahar/MF/Nami in the three roles you'd expect, but I hit a nasty losing streak and eventually broke it by just instalocking Akali. For comparison, I have about 10 Akali games and 40 Malzahar games on the season at midlane, and my Malzahar is usually more reliable (I've even gone even in lane against a Platinum Brand in Team Builder on Malz once when queueing with four friends who were higher ranked than me). But for whatever reason, the champs I know I'm competent at but play less often are more effective at snapping losing streaks than the champs I main. Maybe something to do with mental state, though I'm not sure what.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34812 (isolation #59) » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:06 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34810, Maestro wrote:
In post 34808, theelkspeaks wrote:I'm not sure if this is just me or if this applies to anyone else, but I've found that I can only snap severe losing streaks by picking the insanely-easily-fed champs in my pool.

So...FTFY? This used to serve me quite well on Master Yi in the month(s?) leading up to and after Feral Flare's release. ETL can attest; we'd be doing a Normal and I'd yologank her extended mid-laner, drop ult when counter-ganked, and we'd double handily then take tower. Those were the days. Psure I got my first penta on Yi.

It hasn't always been the insane snowballers - I took a quick look through my document of stats for the season, and I've broken my worst losing streaks this season with Tristana, Udyr, Malphite, Lucian, and Ryze, in addition to the most recent Akali. Of those, only Lucian and Trist are champs I've played more than 10 times this season, and Lucian only 13 times total.

I think it's more that my losing streaks come from excesses of confidence, and playing champs I'm less confident (but still competent) on helps to reset my mind. At least, that's my best guess.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34817 (isolation #60) » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:27 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Akali gets shut down in lane, then randomly gets three kills in a teamfight and explodes into "I can one-shot every single one of you". Unless she's laning against Syndra, in which case she just gets shut down forever.

Syndra vs. Akali hardest counter in the game? Or am I missing a harder counterlane somewhere?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34821 (isolation #61) » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:47 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

With the rise of Zilean, I figured this would be an interesting question to toss to fellow LoLers - what champions gain the most from an early level 2, 3, or 6?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34840 (isolation #62) » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:27 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

On the other hand, I'll start an /ff vote in a normal if I feel like we're unlikely to win, but if my team doesn't vote with me, I'll play on as hard as I can.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34847 (isolation #63) » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Who's tito?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34853 (isolation #64) » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:05 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

I always vote "no" if I know that any of my teammembers are in a series. I figure that for series games, fight to the bitter end. If it's not a series, I /ff if the game is good and truly lost, but if we have the late game comp, I'll usually ask my team to fight on even if we're down. Like, if you're down 10K gold but you're Trynd/Yi/Karth/Trist/Alistar, you still have a respectable chance to win. On the other hand, if you're 10K down and you're Lee/Shaco/Lux/Graves/Leona, then yeah, we're done.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34866 (isolation #65) » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:48 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

I hate jungling in Season 4, but I have to say, jungling for an Orianna as J4 was some of the most fun I've had jungling in a long time.

Also, with that win, I'm promoted back to Bronze III after just one day of being demoted to Bronze IV. Now to get back into Bronze II, where I was at 90 LP a week or two ago.

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 095874/eog
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34880 (isolation #66) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:51 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

At first I thought I needed the change of champion to reset my mental state for playing, but now I'm thinking Akali might just be OP. At least at my ELO where Zed and Teemo have less CS in 10 minutes than Akali because no one can CS properly.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34882 (isolation #67) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:49 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Akali for low ELO, summarized:

Magic Pen Reds, Flat Armor Yellows, Scaling MR Blues, AP Quints
21/9/0 masteries (The "Mid def" page if you look at my lolking, which I took from some reddit thread at some point).
Heal/Flash. Heal will give you sustain in lane.

start cloth 5 and a yellow if against AD mids, null 2 and a yellow if against AP mids.

start Q at level 1, farm with Q as much as you can. Try to minimize damage taken.

Take E at level 2 for better CS under tower. You'll probably be pushed to tower around this point in time.

Take W at level 3, drop veil in the middle of the wave and clear it, then back off to tower while the enemy kills their wave. Q-auto them if they get close.

Max R>Q>E>W. Try to have no deaths on either side pre-6.

If you're low, back as soon as you hit 6 so you can charge up stacks of your ult. Buy as many components of gunblade as you can on your first back, prioritizing revolver. Buy a health pot or two as well.

When you have three stacks of ult, Ult>Q>AA>E the enemy mid, then drop W and run. Rinse and repeat as needed until they're low enough to kill.

Finish Gunblade, roam, get kills. Kill your enemy mid any time they go past the middle of the lane. Always shove to turret after they are dead.

Get hourglass, Soc Boots, Lich Bane in that order. If any gold left over, get a defensive item, usually Sunfire or Spirit Visage, depending on the most fed enemy champion.

Getting a kill is always worth, even if you die getting it. Your gold is worth more than theirs because you're motherbleeping Akali.

Run around and kill whoever's clearing a wave somewhere when the enemy team mostly groups. There's always somebody just clearing one more wave. If there isn't, split push to turret and take turret, especially if you already have Lich Bane.

If there's a teamfight, just wait until someone is within kill range of your ult>Gunblade>Q>AA (a low HP tank or a carry anything below 70%.) Do that, then drop W and wait. Kill anyone else within range of death whenever you see them, or just run away from the enemy team.

Win lots of games.

P.S. If someone is running away from you in a lane, especially an ADC, you can probably afford to burn one charge of your ult on the enemy minion wave to get close enough to ult the ADC.

In the Bronze II-IV range, this has gotten me 8 wins and 1 loss, and I was 10/7/5 in the loss. The enemy team had several good tanks with peel, including a fed Blitzcrank, and I couldn't get the kills in the teamfights.

Unsure what ELO this works up until.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34899 (isolation #68) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Akali works for different reasons at different ELOs. I know that the method I described won't work once I get to the point that people can smoke me in lane, for one. At high elo, Akali (if I understand correctly), in order to work, has to either A) be part of a pick comp, B) split push all day and all night, or C) bait out the pink/red eye in one place, then get their team to start a teamfight elsewhere before it's off CD again.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34907 (isolation #69) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:41 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34906, RayFrost wrote:As someone that's played a fair amount of akali mid, she does fine into a lot of mid laners but I'd go boots pots instead of null magic just based off of the fact that early akali needs sustain and the ability to dodge around skillshots / get in range to q e people. You shouldn't be super pushed by level two because you can literally walk up and q auto a lot of people if they try to push level one. You USUALLY don't want to be doing q auto after you have e because it draws minion aggro and you can do more dmgs with q e (it has better range anyway, so it means you take less damage when they poke back). A key thing about akali's matchups is playing her into things that don't have super sexy level 6 power. Meaning don't fuck with malzahar, don't fuck with cassiopeia, don't fuck with syndra, etc.

Anything that's squish and has little to no reliable disengage / hyper burst at six is free game. Veigar? Ziggs? Yasuo? Easy. Zed is a skill matchup because of his ability to hit you through your shroud allowing him to still do trades / etc but it slightly favors akali due to lower ult cooldown and better itemization options (seeker's for akali is a good item anyway, cloth start doesn't gimp her damage, etc).

The thing about top lane is that a lot of bruisers can afford to not give a fuck about akali's damage early, but she quickly outscales them in terms of consistent damage output. The q cooldown is short and the damage scales well, so she can build that early seeker's and at around level 7/8 she's just pushing out more numbers than the other guy. Pretty much how winning that goes. You survive the early game abusiveness, then you win the mid game.

I wouldn't ever really build lichbane on her as an early item. Gunblade, zhonya are pretty core. Past that, dcap, dfg, abyssal, rylai's are all pretty good depending on the situation. Obviously the void staff is necessary after a point but that's w/e. I actually haven't built lichbane on akali a single time this season. I don't like it.

The thing with people having pinks at high elo is it means you can't let yourself get caught out, but it doesn't mean as much as you'd think it does in a teamfight into the mid to late game. Them dropping a pink looking to kill you specifically when you've just burnt your cds means you can casually press zhonya while your team does stuff, which shifts focus away from you and lets you pop out of it ready to go again. Your team wins the fight, you clear the pink for free gold. Not to mention this means they don't have those pinks in other places that'd give vision control. Same for oracle trinket value. If you get caught then you're fucked, but that's an issue of getting caught out and not an issue of "oh pinks counter akali."

As for the Q-AA part, can't you do that then retreat into your W to drop minion aggro? I usually only get Q-auto off if the enemy is dumb enough to walk close to my W.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34909 (isolation #70) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:48 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 34908, RayFrost wrote:W is too long of a cooldown to burn just to drop aggro when you can q + e to harass without drawing aggro. W is your only escape early, so using it freely is really bad

I tend to drop it whenever I'm clearing the wave early, so that I don't eat free poke (assuming the enemy is ranged).
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34950 (isolation #71) » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:37 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

That awkward moment when you just go along with your jungler's build suggestions and suddenly you have more gold than either solo laner because you keep accidentally killing people with Q-AA?

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 9/50095874
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34993 (isolation #72) » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:36 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I have a friend who recently hit 30 and is trying to decide whether to play his 10 games right now in the hopes of getting a banner/icon, or whether he should wait til next season to start playing ranked. He's finishing off his rune pages in normals now in preparation for ranked. Opinions?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35001 (isolation #73) » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:25 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 35000, Maestro wrote:I'm sure it'll go on their upcoming album, yeah.

ALSO YES I HAVE CHAMPIPN THRESH IM SO HAPPY

Such a good skin!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35050 (isolation #74) » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:50 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

also while you're at it add theelkspeaks and 450master
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35081 (isolation #75) » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:24 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Is it just me or are assist streaks absolutely broken right now? I've been playing a decent amount of Sona and J4 lately, who are basically free assist machines, and I don't remember nearly having this much gold before.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35094 (isolation #76) » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:24 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Why is Janna suddenly considered good? She's been like D tier support like all season, but now she's getting picked everywhere? What changed?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35112 (isolation #77) » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:27 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 35100, Iecerint wrote:IMLS made a tier list awhile ago that left out Janna altogether and then put her in the D tier when he was asked about it later. I was annoyed. That may be what TES is referring to.

I am happy that he is eating his words. ^^

Basically every tier list I've seen this season has had Janna as the lowest support on the list. I don't remember whose lists they were, I read whichever ones show up on the r/LoL frontpage

Who's IMLS?

In post 35104, hiplop wrote:I couldn't imagine not having a gaming mouse in this game

active items...how do people use them on time without a gaming mouse?

I use 2-3-4 for my actives, and T for trinket. (2 is for Gunblade, BoRK, Mikaels, or Seraphs, 3 is for Zhonya's or GP10 actives, 4 is for potions or sightstone/wards).
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35195 (isolation #78) » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:03 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 35185, Maestro wrote:I followed theelkspeaks's example and added notes to my accounts by right-clicking the account name and selecting "Insert comment".

I can't see your comments - not sure why.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35218 (isolation #79) » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:15 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Does anyone build Lucidity on Lucian? Was just wondering if that might be a better choice than Zerk's on him.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35230 (isolation #80) » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:24 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

So I think I found a use for Essence Reaver

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 3/50095874

Maybe it only worked because the other team was bad, not sure. Seemed like it was a mismatch from the get-go.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35236 (isolation #81) » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:33 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 35231, zoraster wrote:wouldn't you prefer a bloodthirster?

Varus has some amount of mana problems, and generally stays fairly safe without the extra shield, I think.

Will have to test further.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35237 (isolation #82) » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:22 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

My second game on Varus had a Soraka support, so didn't build the Essence Reaver. Varus is either really strong right now or Support Azir is a bad idea. Possibly both.

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 7/50095874
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35242 (isolation #83) » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:43 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 35238, zoraster wrote:I imagine Azir support isn't great, but it could also be that two games of Varus in Bronze may not be enough data.

Varus has a 46.37% win rate in Bronze, 48.21% overall. Azir overall has a 36.84% win rate.

I didn't really play Varus much at all before the first of those two Varus games I linked (like a handful of normals/bots/dom), so I feel like I'm not that good at him - hence my concluding that Varus himself is good, since I'm not good at him yet I'm still snowballing hard with him. Obviously sample sizes are small.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35261 (isolation #84) » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 35260, Maestro wrote:Why do some people not like being able to post? #smh

Does the new ranked restrictions thing also ban you from the official LoL forums? I'm confused.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35294 (isolation #85) » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:13 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Re: new Viktor. Color me interested: How do I play him?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35330 (isolation #86) » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

I'm surprised at the comment earlier that new Viktor doesn't want to build tons of CDR - based on a quick play in CS/TT, he seemed like a prime candidate for Lucidity even (for more deathrays and Qs).
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35335 (isolation #87) » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:27 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 35333, lil g wrote:Also totally off-topic but of way more importance to me- anyone have a line on a decently cheap headset/mic that doesn't wear/sound/feel like absolute shit? I'm used to studio cans for audio, but my current setup has gotten more and more ridiculous where I'm having to load my protools interface just to use skype. I had the best headset of all time, a logitech g330 that had the behind the head headband so it didn't mess up my hair which made me so happy, but it broke because it was made of chinese lead plastic and the replacement I bought also broke and now I can't really find anything like that so I guess I'm willing to drop some bucks on a really shitty set of cans with a mic attached. Definitely happy to check out any suggestions, thank you :)

I use a plaintronics Audio 236 when I use a headset. It's pretty good, and it was only like 20 bucks on Amazon. Got it for skyping with my gf when we had to go long distance for a period of time, but it works awesome for gaming or anything else.

Most of the time, I use separate earbuds and mic - the earbuds are pretty generic 10 bucks at Walmart stuff, and the mic is a Telex brand, I've had it probably 10 years, and it's an awesome unidirectional recording mic. I used to do audio recordings of spoken text on it (think audiobooks) and it was awesome for that. When I use it for gaming, I just plop it on the desk next to me.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35336 (isolation #88) » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 35332, lil g wrote:We def need more how to smash out of bronze lessons. If someone wants to donate a bronze account, I'll take a turn smashing it out.

The inhouse we played tonight was a perfect example of how to turn it around and dominate. I was very busy typing and raging about our rice-related afk player, I let my guard down in lane, and before I knew it I was 0-2. I said nonono, not today, roamed up top for a kill so I had a handful of change, and never looked back. I did get "caught" bot by a tp on top of my 1v2 engage, but aside from that I thought my play was pretty high class. Nid is a skirmish champ and that's what you do: go in and out and in and out and wait for an isolated target or a favorable engage. A LOT of Nid play is just running around, splitpush, getting people to chase you, run away from you, etc. There's a method to my madness, I'm not actually just running around in their jungle like a chicken with its head cut off. Usually. The thing about "getting out" of low mmr is that you HAVE to be better than the ranking. You HAVE to win every single lane. If you are somehow in a low mmr game in a lane you can't win, you HAVE to be able to make up the money by roaming out. Winning your lane in no way guarantees you can win the game, but it ensures you start in the best possible position, (which is certainly not 0-2 but it did piss me off and lit the fire that would burn bright through many chases and dives).

The big thing is that coordinated play beats unorganized play every time, but it was in effect a solo queue game for me because I wasn't on voip, I don't know if anyone else was. I had the benefit of having players on my team who I already know are very aggressive, so a lot of times my stupid cat adventures brought us to a winnable fight. You can categorize your teammates in solo queue too, the one you want to look for and latch onto (in low mmr) is the guy who will fight to the death every time. He's the only one you want to fight next to, because you know he's not going to flake out and fuck you over. When you know your teammate will bulldog clamp down on his man, you can use him as a proxy to set up your next play. He's going to buy time for you and deal damage, so get in and around him. Use him for a distraction or bait, so you can do what you need to. The big thing for this is when guys always tower dive when a turret has only a couple hits left on it. Use your crazy bronze diver teammate to soak up turret shots while you kill the turret and move on with the game, DON'T get caught up in his shitty dive and end up dancing around in their base with the turrets still up.

Even though it was a 4v5 against a weird adc comp, there were plenty of examples of the old "hit em where they ain't". Keep rotating, keep applying pressure. Pressure means ACTIVELY pushing lanes and attacking towers, having a visible aggressive position on the map! Don't fall into the trap behavior of "split farming" where you just run up for cs and then disappear into the jungle. When you are off the map, low mmr people forget you exist. Low mmr players also beeline for the closest guy to them, so if you have a splitpusher on your team, the rest of the team needs to keep applying pressure. You can't splitpush when your team all backs/jungles because you will get killed by 4+ people.

Play high-impact champs who are strong in the midgame, because that's when you should be finishing the game. Make your presence felt on the map. Be aggressive and roam out, show that you mean business. When you show up on the enemy's screen, they should think OH SHIT! and then you take them down. Always use pings to show teammates to hit towers when they are backing next to you. Ideally you want a champ who (if ahead) can 1v1 anything. I think I'm 75% in about 17-18 games on the cat. Omg I lose so many games! Nid is a priority ban right now which is annoying, so I smurf with Lux because I prefer midlane and she has almost global ult presence and a very strong/safe lane vs almost everyone. Even in lanes that Lux should lose horribly, your skill differential will carry you easily over the bronze Fizz/Zed/Pantheons of the world who will get smashed by your early passive-proc autos and have to give up the level advantage. There are lots of guys who have easier, stronger lanes, but not ones that have the utility and roam/teamfight presence that Lux gives me. Know your target numbers for a kill and aggressively press the advantage, when you hit your target kill number, decisively all-in and collect your money. When you see your kill number, a giant red flashing sign should go off in your head and you should pounce for it and not stop until he's dead. Don't puss out of your early all-in! You don't commit unless you're sure it's a kill, that's why you know your numbers, so once you're in GET THE KILL. If they flash the kill and you can't follow flash to secure it, just let them go, slam the wave into the tower, and go spend some money if you're low. If you're not low? Stay in lane and continue to build the advantage. You can stay in lane at half health because when the guy gets back he will do something stupid and greedy and you'll take half his health off in the first bad trade he forces. Are you actually scared of bronze players? I'm not. They practically (and in some cases, literally) kill themselves in bad minion trades, all you have to do is hit them once so you get credit.

If you actually understand applying map pressure/"real splitpushing" as opposed to just running up for a big cs wave, and you can consistently win your lane, bronze will never be able to hold you. Unless you're a bronze support main, cause you are never ever getting out. I should have access to a B5 acc with like 200 games this season soon, so I should be able to run some bronze clinic games. B5 is the wild west, anything goes and you are gonna have to do it all yourself to break the game before it breaks you. The end of the season is a super exciting time to play ranked because tensions are so high and the boosters are out in force, but don't worry- there's enough idiots piled up on top of each other that you can still climb out over their dead bodies.

Can you talk to me about top lane in Bronze? I'm trying to smash my way out atm, and top lane is currently my weakest role now that I've remembered how to play J4 again (making jungle no longer my worst).
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35339 (isolation #89) » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:14 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 35338, chamber wrote:If top lane is your worst role, just don't play it. You might not always be able to get your best role, but you can usually avoid a role like mid or top.

I try not to, but sometimes I get stuck with it :P. I try to be the good teammate and listen to what roles teammates call, I could probably be more insistent on the not-top-lane thing, but I tend to have non-terrible games if I play Maokai or Malphite or something, and I'm hoping whoever I ceded a role to can carry if I give them their best. Is that bad logic?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35445 (isolation #90) » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:48 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 35444, Chevre wrote:Yay it worked!

I played through the first tutorial, so I at least understand what I'm doing. I mean, I know it's going to be more complex than that was, but I can do the basics. :/

Welcome, Chevre!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35468 (isolation #91) » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:04 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 35466, Oman wrote:
In post 35459, Saki wrote:There's reason to pick Taric over Leona but picking Taric over Braum in the current meta seems nonsensical

I could see him being now what Talon was for a while (i.e. never pick when Braum/Zed is up, but a reasonable fall back if he's banned? I don't play Taric at all, so I could be wrong.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35562 (isolation #92) » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:50 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

How do people deal with Pantheon top?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35605 (isolation #93) » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Also, just going to say that Miss Fortune is arguably one of the most dangerous bots (in terms of the AI actually being smart) right behind Trundle and Annie. So don't get too down, I'm sure we all have screenshots like that from when we started.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35692 (isolation #94) » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:59 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Update on my Essence Reaver Rush Varus play: I'm now at 15 wins, 6 losses, with an average KDA of 9.6/6.4/8.5. 4 of those games were Duos with a random Leona/Blitz main I found in one of those games.

This is mid-Bronze play, so it might not be strictly optimal in high Elo (in fact, it's probably not). Generally, I've found it to be functional because of the ability to spam Varus's Q more with the extra mana and the CDR. Before I get Reaver, I often am low on mana just from the amount Varus needs to use his spells to poke, though a better player could probably manage mana better, thus making this less a reason to use this build.

Generally, I try to get BF Sword or Pickaxe on the first back, depending on gold. I then prioritize Vamp Scepter and try to build into Reaver/IE/PD, in that order, sometimes with an early Zeal. LW and BT finish the build if I reach full build, or sometimes I sell the Reaver to get BT and go for another AS item, like Shiv. Defensive items (usually Veil or GA) are options, but luxuries.

So yeah, it's been effective in low elo, largely because the CDR and free mana helps me dominate the later portion of the laning phase, and also because no one at this elo knows how to lane against a Varus (and thus I get free poke for days).
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35831 (isolation #95) » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

How's Riven in 3s? I feel like I don't have any AD champs for 3s and should probably learn one.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35862 (isolation #96) » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:20 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I heard someone mention Mad-stone on a stream, but I don't really understand - is that just building Wriggles and Spirit Stone in the same game, and if so, why would anyone do that?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35864 (isolation #97) » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:47 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

But doesn't that sink like another Spirit Stone's worth of gold into "useless" stats? Is it really that much faster as to be worth it?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35885 (isolation #98) » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:18 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 095874/eog

Proof that an afk hurts a team more than even a blatant feeding troll.

(Though I can't view match histories right now, not sure if this shows up for anyone else).
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35920 (isolation #99) » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 35913, Siveure DtTrikyp wrote:Eh.

I was kinda thinking syndra a bit. Also mebbe karthus could work. Lulu is eh - I don't like playing lulu too much because I always feel like an asshole (too much toplane lulu does that to you). Also too supportish.

Like, grey is kinda right in what I'm looking for. Strengths/weaknesses don't really matter to me now. I'd kinda prefer it not to be supportish midlane boredomness. I do however want the mechanical complexity and buttonpressingness to be at a similar level (yuckleblancishard)

I'm in Bronze III, and Viktor is reasonably non-complex. Builds are kinda weird, but the mechanics aren't too bad once you get the hang of his E.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35938 (isolation #100) » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:29 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Or even just find a support main from one of your games to duo with. I had a great leona in one of my better Varus games, and we've duoed together like 10 times since, with pretty great success.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35962 (isolation #101) » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:13 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

To anyone suggesting that support can't carry, two words: "Flash Crescendo"
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35971 (isolation #102) » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:23 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I love arcade sona, but I hate that the ult particle is "hollow" between the two lines. Pentakill Sona, my next favorite Sona skin, keeps the original ult particle. Though I haven't played anything but Arcade Sona since Arcade MF came out
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35985 (isolation #103) » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:17 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I might drop one of the teams I'm on if there's an opening anywhere for me. Gotta get that ward skin :P

(I tried to start a ranked team of Bilge people, but didn't get a whole lot of interest - likely that'll be the one to go)
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36008 (isolation #104) » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:13 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I will be in for this, not today though. I have an exam in like 2 hours.

What voice chat do you all use? One of them, I think it was Raidcall, used to BSOD me regularly, but Weconspire and Skype are A-OK by me. I think Teamspeak was fine too, but not sure about that one.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36035 (isolation #105) » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

ok, closed my Bilge ranked team, which gives me a slot to join one with scummers. Will be around most of the morning and afternoon tomorrow.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36042 (isolation #106) » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:18 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Awake for a day of playing - will be playing solo queue for now, but hoping to get some team play going later!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36070 (isolation #107) » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:35 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 36068, Saki wrote:
In post 36066, Chevre wrote:I don't know like any of their names. I just recognized Annie, Garen, Lux

And...there can't really be a champion who looks like Uncle Sam, can there?

That's Ryze. Wearing the Uncle Sam Ryze skin. Some skins make really patent references to stuff.

The Uncle Sam reference probably would've been better with Gangplank.

but but but Minuteman Gangplank??
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36185 (isolation #108) » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:21 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I just had an AD Jungle TF on my team, and he was astonishingly powerful. Is this actually a legit pick, or is that just somebody's pet random build that works for them? (Flare into Bork, IIRC)
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36199 (isolation #109) » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Is there still room on the Urgot team for me?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36202 (isolation #110) » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:39 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

thanks for letting me play a game at your inhouse! Sorry I wasn't very good
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36207 (isolation #111) » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

If anyone who played has tips for me to improve based on that game, that'd be great - I'm quite a bit below the rest of you all in skill :P I know I had a couple of sloppy-mechanic mistakes, for one.

Heading to a quick powernap, but I'll read the replies later.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36225 (isolation #112) » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:04 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Finally won my promo series on like the 4th try. I kept going WLL, then getting a win to get back into series. Bronze II now, Silver is in sight!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36371 (isolation #113) » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:48 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 36370, Maestro wrote:BTW there was some comment earlier about somebody "never being excited about Gragas support" and I'd 100% agree, but it's not just Gragas. Most sub-par AP supports I see are people pushed into support who would rather take their champ mid and who don't understand the mechanical differences of taking that champ support instead of mid.

My own pet peeve, Lux, never excites or even gives me positive vibes. Just from a kit and numbers standpoint, she's sub-par in every way to Morgana, and if Morgana is banned you usually need to counter whatever they didn't want Morgana to be around for (usually Thresh/Leona/Braum or other hard engage supports, correct me I'm wrong here).

I ban Morgana whenever I plan to play adc and have any input into bans, she's just hell to lane against regardless of who your support is. Basically if you get hit ever by her Q or ult, you just die. (Bear in mind that I tend to play less-mobile ADCs like Varus, MF, and Ashe.)

My personal three "default bans" are Blitz/Fizz/Morgana, as those are the champs I hate playing against the most, but I'm usually open to my teammates' suggestions.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36373 (isolation #114) » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:01 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 36372, Maestro wrote: but her ult requires you sitting near her and STAYING near her to achieve maximum effect,

What I find most annoying about the ult is that you start to go in on the enemy ADC for a trade, morg runs at you and presses R, and you have to back off to avoid the stun, probably taking lots more damage than you were able to deal because now the ADC is hitting you while you run away.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36930 (isolation #115) » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Trying to grind out ward skins. Any spots on inhouse teams?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37121 (isolation #116) » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:21 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I want my Arclight Varus skin :(
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37662 (isolation #117) » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:14 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Ashe's ult can't directly hit baron, but the splash damage when you hit an enemy champ does damage baron. (Thus making it generally one of the harder steals and rather epic when done!)
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38071 (isolation #118) » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:18 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 38070, zoraster wrote:
In post 38065, pickemgenius wrote:q isn't a skillshot, that means you literally cannot miss on whatever you're targeting if its in range.

im so confused at how one can miss something that isn't a skillshot.

you won't 100% get the AA damage off the Q but when you spend your first 1000 gold on the hexcore Q upgrade and you get a 2.5s MS buff that basically lasts until your Q is back up again... it's not so hard. but you actually cannot *miss* a Q.

I asked this before but didn't get an answer so maybe now: Lucian's q isn't a skill shot in that you target somrthing but it can be dodged. Is that the only non skill shot where that's the case?

I'm pretty sure that's the case, yeah. Unless you count things like Cait's ult which are targeted but can be intercepted.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38149 (isolation #119) » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:49 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 38147, Oman wrote:I have a feeling Gnar is awesome. Can anyone confirm?

Gnar is super popular and high-tier in high elo play.

I personally find him one of the least exciting champs to play as, but that's just personal bias. I feel like he's a high skill floor champion, though maybe I just approached him all wrong.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38151 (isolation #120) » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:11 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

My problem was that he's like a tank, just he doesn't have reliable durability. Like, you can't build him like he has full in-kit tanking, or you die when you're small, and you can't build him like he's a kit-damage tank, because then you only do damage when you're small. And also his kit makes you want to build AS, but you can't really afford it.

IDK, to me he's just a mess.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38233 (isolation #121) » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:00 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I used to (read: about a year ago) play Veigar support. I thought he worked well as a counter-engage support, dropping cage when the enemy Leona/Ali tried to engage, keeping the enemy ADC out of the fight and often stunning the enemy melee support.

And the teamfights are amazing, so many chances for aoe stuns
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38271 (isolation #122) » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:58 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Just played a game of Legend of Poro with quadz and others, and Singed is really fun in it. You can help kill enemy king, zone enemy off your king, and also it's Singed with a possible gap closer on a 20 second cooldown.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38375 (isolation #123) » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

I self referred my two smurfs and I'm scared of the crackdown right now :/
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38677 (isolation #124) » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:38 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Battleborn Kayle

Also, any of you up for Fantasy LCS?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38810 (isolation #125) » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:01 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Is this RoA Malz, Liandry's -> Rylai's Malz, or something else altogether?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38862 (isolation #126) » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:31 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

0-2 so far. The first was an absolutely shitty Malph game where I held even-ish with a Fiora in lane for about 15 mins with both of us at 1/1/0 and me down about 5-10 CS, before imploding and finishing at like 1/9/3, and the second was a heartbreaking game where I got an early lead as the Varus in a Varus/Morg vs. Jinx/Leona bot lane, but played too aggressively trying to win the eventual 4v5 (after our Top Jayce had internet issues) and threw. Final score was 13/6/3, but I wasn't happy with my play.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38919 (isolation #127) » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:11 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I like playing with supports that have good CC, Zyra included, when I adc. Nothing's better then getting 3-4 free autos because your Zyra just snared their ADC. Heals are nice too, but at least at my ELO, most supports can't time their shields well enough to be good.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38956 (isolation #128) » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:12 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 38955, Maestro wrote:
If you say you're THAT much more experienced on a champ that you'll do significantly better on something that's off-meta, I'm gonna wonder whether you're supposed to be in my division and then I'm going to think you're trolling. Sorry. IMO, there's no real reason to pick Gragas over something like Alistair; there's no real reason to pick something like Lux over Morgana; and I'd even prefer a Karma to a Zyra. That's just my opinion.

I'm mostly in agreement with this part for the support rule, but I disagree with the third example, mostly on account of having seen far too many god-awful Bronze Karmas. A bad Karma is devastating to lane with, and is apparently a fairly hard champ to learn. I personally dislike her and can't comment on the difficulty except by observation of other play; my support preference is to play Sona or Nami, and very occasionally Braum.

I do think that in a player's less played roles, however, a past-meta support might be a pretty good option for a given player. For example, Shen isn't really in meta right now, but I still play him better than most other toplaners because I played a lot of toplane when he was in meta, and top is one of my least played roles in solo queue now, so he's who I have the most experience on when it comes to top. And if not him, other tanky walls like Malph are my first fallback.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39004 (isolation #129) » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:10 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Taking stock of my current state of different roles for solo queue (not exactly the same as my pool for ranked 5's, where I tend to play mostly top or jungle and mostly tank):

Roles in order of preference, champs in order of preference within the role
1st choice: ADC - Varus, MF, Trist, Ashe - pretty happy but should probably try to start playing Corki again.
Mid - Akali, various safe mages but mostly Malz/Syndra, Brand/Lux? - probably need to add some champs. I tend to like safe-farming mages, but Akali has been the lone exception so far and is my favorite mid.
Support - Nami, Sona, a little sketchy after this but Braum, Morgana - Need to work on tanky supports, should probably try to learn Leona(?)
Jungle - J4 and Vi are my favorites, the former generally pretty full-tank, the latter a little aggressive. Need to work on pathing and decision-making in general, as well as knowing how much and what damage items I can buy instead of just building all tanky items.
Top - Malphite, Shen, Amumu, all built mostly tanky - I'm out of meta right now, and need to learn new champs. Also need to learn aggro in the top lane, as I'm used to safe farmers. Probably want to learn Gnar/Irelia?

I tend to be above my average play when on Varus, MF, or Akali, and to a lesser extent Nami/Sona but on any other champ/role, there's not much of a difference in my level of play between say Trist, J4, and Malphite, so I don't actually put that much priority on getting "my main", especially if Akali is banned by the other team. I want to get better at each role, and I care more about generally getting better at the game than at mastering a particular role/champion or just raw climbing (though I'd like to climb eventually, it's just not my first priority).

If anyone would like to play games with me and/or offer advice, that'd be awesome! I'm also looking to add champions with low skill floors but still reasonably good in basically any role, and suggestions are welcome there. I own most champions (all but 7) and have like 8K IP saved up, so that's not a concern.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39006 (isolation #130) » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:20 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Hmmm. Darius, Wukong, Xin, and Morde are ones on there I could see myself playing.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39016 (isolation #131) » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:12 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

My reason for picking shen is to play a farm-under-tower type game early, with the threat of taunting into a huge gank or even solokill with tower if they overextend, then shielding my carries from across the map and peeling with taunts in the late game
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39022 (isolation #132) » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 39019, Ser Arthur Dayne wrote:
In post 39004, theelkspeaks wrote:Mid - Akali, various safe mages but mostly Malz/Syndra, Brand/Lux? - probably need to add some champs.
I tend to like safe-farming mages
, but Akali has been the lone exception so far and is my favorite mid.

I think I have the right champ for you!!1!1

Given that it's you, I'm assuming Karthus? I used to play him a lot season 3, but dropped him some time last year because I struggled with the supposedly favorable Yasuo matchup, and Yasuo was like 90% ban/pick at the time. Haven't gotten back into him - is he strong right now?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39119 (isolation #133) » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:17 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Into my 8th placement, playing Voli jungle because my teammates didn't want Vi or J4.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39123 (isolation #134) » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:43 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Enemy Morg ragequit after two solokills by our Ahri in lane (my one gank mid by this point burned a flash but morg lived). We proceeded to stomp the 5v4 as expected, and enemy Jinx says "I wish riot would force disconnect a player on the opposing team whenever a player disconnected." WTF??
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39129 (isolation #135) » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:15 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

9th placement coming right now, 3-5 overall so far. Playing MF because I'm on red side and I don't trust my red side Varus right now.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39131 (isolation #136) » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

(I find certain abilities easier or harder to hit depending on camera angle (red v. blue), with Varus Q being much easier on the blue side. This is true regardless of whether I use locked camera, fully unlocked, or hold space, and is probably just a player flaw.) One example of a red-side skillshot for me is Lucian Q, which I actually find much more effective at aiming through minions onto champs on the red side.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39137 (isolation #137) » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:42 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 39135, zoraster wrote:I didn't say it wasn't real, I absolutely think it exists. I just wouldn't know where to begin in how to pick to account for it.

For me it's mostly based on experience - I know that I play certain champs better on one side or the other from having played them.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39139 (isolation #138) » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:52 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

As for the game itself, we lost hard. Had a tiny bit of lag early which interfered with my CS, but my mechanics and decision making were shitty even after it cleared up, so it wasn't the lag that caused me to lose. All lanes lost and we got stomped, gg, ff at 20.

Gonna go play some basketball with friends, which should get me off tilt if I'm on one. Will likely play 10th placement tomorrow if not tonight.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39144 (isolation #139) » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:38 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Starting my 10th now, ADCing as Varus with a Teemo supp (o_O) into Cait/Malph.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39145 (isolation #140) » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:30 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Ended up being malph mid, lux support for the other team. Died a couple times to ganks and wasn't playing well, like 1/4/3 or so, but our Rengar jungle was carrying us. Then our top Renekton dc's. In the midgame we're playing a 4v5 but we have 4 drags to 0 and more kills, so we have a chance, and I've gotten to like 8/9/6, so I'm a legitimate threat, but we had a couple shit fights, partially due to being 4v5 and partially due to our sequentially running into the enemy team and dying. We lose, I'm 3-7 and Bronze V to start from.

Can't complain, I played pretty badly overall in my placements and probably deserve to have gone down several divisions due to them. I hope I'll be able to climb to where I was last season if not higher before too long, but yeah.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39249 (isolation #141) » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 39243, quadz08 wrote:nope that's a real thing

riot sent out a tweet saying "we're committed to diversity and everyone playing and are working with our global leagues to align on this important issue" which is corporate-speak for "seriously, fuck that shit"

In post 39245, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:It kind of puts me off LoL E-sports in general, even with Riot coming out and "kind of sort of condemning it".

Not sure whether the tweet was edited, but the final tweet I saw was stronger than that. "LGBT players are welcome at official LoL tourneys. We're working with partners to ensure consistency with our values across all regions." Still leaves a foul taste, but is a much more thorough condemnation of that horseshit.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39253 (isolation #142) » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:55 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Yeah, basically. Fuck Garena.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39254 (isolation #143) » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:53 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

UPDATE: http://esports.garena.ph/newsArticle.ph ... %20LEGENDS
Garena removed the restrictions. Thank finally.

Not shown in article: Garena being threatened within an inch of their business relationship with Riot. Riot has a lot of problems, but they've done a decent job trying to crack down on slur-users, and this seems like the sort of thing (combined with the tweet yesterday) that they just won't tolerate.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39274 (isolation #144) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

So can someone talk about building fighters like Irelia, Darius, Fiora, and so on? If I build sunfire/randuins, my damage is low, but if I build Tiamat first and then build into tankiness, I don't have enough survivability.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39276 (isolation #145) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:50 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 39275, dramonic wrote:Don't build Fiora the same way you build Irelia.

The specific items in the post were mostly aimed at Darius, but the concept of AD first -> I die, tank first -> I'm useless applied to all 3 in my experience.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39325 (isolation #146) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:06 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Given the fall of AP Malphite in the post DFG-world, wonder if tank triforce malphite will make a comeback
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39333 (isolation #147) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:58 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

I would sometimes build it if ahead or in a super long game a while ago, it was respectable but IBG tended to be better.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39354 (isolation #148) » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:20 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 39352, xRECKONERx wrote:most of my time spent playing League now is spent playing dumb shit that shouldn't work and it has made the game much more fun

IE: Support Jinx -
Curious how this works

Support Orianna -
A longtime favorite of mine

Support Velkoz -
A cool choice I haven't tried but have heard of

Jungle Jinx -
Wait, what? How do you survive?

Jungle AD Malzahar -
Been meaning to try this

AP Koggles -
WootWoot, I love this shtuff!

Top Tank Karthus -
What sort of stuff do you build? Is it like double RoA or something?

etc

It's just fun

Thoughts on these added in bold
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39398 (isolation #149) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:39 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

3 games so far of Nemesis - one as supp Nami on a low damage team and got carried by our hybrid carry Janna, one as top Taric where we got rekt by a Lissandra, and one as Karthus mid where we mostly owned the crap out of them including me getting a quadrakill. All 3 of them were on champs I've actually played in the last year in ranked in the relevant role, so nothing too wacky for me (beyond supporting a Janna as Nami in lane, that is), though some of my teammates have been on adventures.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39400 (isolation #150) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:58 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 39399, dramonic wrote:...You played top taric in ranked?

During Season 4 preseason right when relic shield came out and 2-1-2 was the meta.

EDIT: And possibly after the rework of his passive to the sheen-like thing, I remember him being strong then but can't remember if that was only supp or also top.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39408 (isolation #151) » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:24 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 39402, BROseidon wrote:
In post 39400, theelkspeaks wrote:During Season 4 preseason right when relic shield came out and 2-1-2 was the meta.

Oh my god that was so dumb.

I'd actually love to see map objectives and support items balanced so that having a jungler or playing 2-1-2 are balanced enough that we sometimes see 1-1-1-2 vs. 2-1-2 in LCS/etc. One of the 5, probably the top lane support but no guarantee, would have to take smite for securing stuff, but if (for example) relic shield stacked faster but had a reduced heal, allowing the two players to share gold fairly efficiently, I think it could be balanced without being OP. A jungler of course has the advantage of being unseen most of the time and creating gank pressure, so it would be a trade-off of potential gank pressure vs. raw gold in my imaginary balanced universe.

Riot is committed enough to dedicated jungling however that I don't see this ever happening.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39430 (isolation #152) » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Apparently (from reddit) there's a small amount of ELO-helling going on in the ranked 5s ladder right now, where a lot of teams full of diamond/plat players are being formed and playing their initial placement matches, where they're getting matched up against other teams in their promo series (I think it was Silver III to II, might be off by one or two divisions). It's a feature of where the starting "neutral" MMR is and the fact that there are more games played by new ranked teams right now with high skill players than there are existing teams at the neutral MMR. Thus teams climb to that point, hit the "new team brick wall", and fall back a little. Like all ELO hell situations, this is temporary and will go away once the flood of new teams dies down.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39532 (isolation #153) » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:34 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 39527, xRECKONERx wrote:
Re: Jungle- Amumu is the low elo wrecker, good call. Voli can get super OP but he's also stupid easy to kite. If I were you, I'd play it like... tanky-AP Amumu... then pick a champ that does well as a real pure tank (like Nunu)... then get a bruiser in your lineup (J4 is OP obviously, Vi or Pantheon are always strong picks). Also just as a note, Fiddles is ridiculously good right now in the jungle, I've been playing a ton of him recently.

Ok, I'll bite - how does Fiddles jungle work currently? (items/early route/skill orders)
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39694 (isolation #154) » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:04 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Got DJ Sona and played one game as her already, it's pretty awesome. Still need to fiddle with volume settings, I'm used to turning the music fairly low and need to find the right balance.

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... b=overview

Only thing I dislike is that using /toggle actually stops you the same as if you'd pressed S.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39717 (isolation #155) » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:38 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Doing at least the first game of my promo out of B V now if anyone wants to stream.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39718 (isolation #156) » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:48 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Jinx with a Morg support, I feel good about this.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39719 (isolation #157) » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:23 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Our Vi and Akali bickered all game, I started out ok but got caught out, and now I'm 0-1 in the series :(

And onward to game 2!

Volibear Jungle for me.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39720 (isolation #158) » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:16 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

A win there brought me to 1-1 in the series, helping a MF/Annie lane snowball off an underperforming Quinn/Morg.

Playing the decisive game now, Volibear jungle again, and my MF and Rek'Sai (top) from the previous game are in this one as an Annie supp and a Darius top.

EDIT: Lost it, enemy Yasuo got kills in trades, and we couldn't deal with him. He saved an inhib 1v3 against us and got a triple kill in the process, and a while later they got 5th dragon and won with it.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39734 (isolation #159) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:10 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Got back to promo series after a win with on-hit Sona from the support position (after my team had a semi-rough early game). We won the game via split pushing through probably not the best strategic decisions, as the game from about the 20 minute mark on consisted of two of our team trying to push a lane, all 5 of them responding and killing those 2, but the other 3 pushing and destroying towers/inhibs in the other two lanes and sometimes getting a pick or two when the other team tried to react to the pushes. We lost the first 3 dragons, but got the timer on the third and took it very quickly when it came up the fourth time to ensure no 5 dragon shenanigans from the other team, and we got a decisive ace when they tried to defend an inhib around the 40 minute mark.

I'll probably be playing my series on Thursday afternoon or evening (starting around 1 PM East Coast US time, possibly).
Last edited by theelkspeaks on Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39735 (isolation #160) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:15 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Also, does anyone have good stats for what champs are likely to be on rotation for a given week? The esports prediction site proxy.gg started including a game where you predict what champs will be on free week and it has the potential to be very profitable if you can successfully get good predictions. I know I've seen a skin sale predictor going around that's not bad; wasn't sure if there was an analagous one for rotation.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39755 (isolation #161) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:28 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

playing first game of promo now. Going to go for my recent success jungle Volibear.

Ugh, we were doing so well, and then our Aatrox had a technical issue or something, he was stuck in base for 15 minutes or so spamming nonsense characters in chat. Not sure if troll or bugged
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40025 (isolation #162) » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:46 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Depends on who you are, but probably not.

However, in low elo you can do stuff other than sightstone/support upgrade early if you have the right gold. Sheen on Sona is one I've done quite a few times if we get an early lead.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40040 (isolation #163) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:11 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 40034, PJ. wrote:Leona blitz Taric for relic shield. Janna, zyra, annie, sona, Nami for not relic shield. Don't play other supports. Oh Morgana too

What happened to Braum? Last I heard he was still fine but I don't really play him so might have ignored a nerf.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40060 (isolation #164) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:21 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

sad about the new Ashe passive, I like the current one.

As for skillshots in low ELO, I'd actually expect more skillshots not less to be hit, because it's also low ELO players trying to dodge them. Diamond players can dodge better than Bronze players, so more skillshots should land in Bronze.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40062 (isolation #165) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:38 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In Bronze you fire at his current position and he doesn't flash in time to dodge :P
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40132 (isolation #166) » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Been loving Voli jungle lately, I should try Rammus again too
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40276 (isolation #167) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:34 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends ... now_about/

Just found this collection of links on reddit, some of these are plretty cool!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40405 (isolation #168) » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:27 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 40404, The Bulge wrote:
In post 40403, animorpherv1 wrote:Ascension was best mode.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40441 (isolation #169) » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:58 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Morgana and Lux were my favorite urf-ers last year, will have to see if they're still good.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40476 (isolation #170) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:04 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Since the patch before the most recent, I keep getting dc'ed from PVP.net while in client and even sometimes during champ select. Once I get in game, everything's fine. Anyone else having this problem?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40485 (isolation #171) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:46 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I'd even argue that in solo queue the guy who feeds should shot call.

Everyone in that game is at the same ELO by some combination of their game sense and their mechanical play. If you're feeding because your mechanics suck, logically you have the most game sense in that game.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40770 (isolation #172) » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:46 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

While it would still be far too few diverse characters even if true, I've heard it alleged that Ryze is supposed to be black also.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40790 (isolation #173) » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Why is Vi not crosslisted Fighter/Tank?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40805 (isolation #174) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:14 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Except we do give a fuck because representation really matters in the quality of life for members of various groups, a fact which has been documented in study after study.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40898 (isolation #175) » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:19 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In case no one's named one yet, Kennen perhaps?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41367 (isolation #176) » Fri May 08, 2015 3:28 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Sona is also 1350 if I remember correctly and is a great first support to learn!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42039 (isolation #177) » Wed May 27, 2015 5:30 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Champion Suggestions Bot
Hi, you are theelkspeaks from NA.
Your top 3 most played champions in ranked games this season are: Varus, Volibear, Jinx
Recently, you have played: Nami, Graves, Sona, Volibear, Corki, Varus, Jarvan IV, Lux, Syndra, Lucian
Based on your personal records in comparison with hundreds of thousands of other players using data mining techniques, I will make the following suggestions:
Champions you might want to try: Vayne, Caitlyn, Ezreal
Other champions you might want to try: Kog'Maw, Kalista, Darius, Sejuani, Lulu, Twitch, Janna
If you wish to further test the bot, it is recommended that you do so here.
Champion Suggestions Bot v0.1.1 powered by PRAW, Riot API, and PostgreSQL. Champion Suggestions Bot is not endorsed by Riot Games and does not reflect the views or opinions of Riot Games or anyone officially involved in producing or managing League of Legends. League of Legends and Riot Games are trademarks or registered trademarks of Riot Games, Inc. League of Legends © Riot Games, Inc.

Anyone else tried this thing?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42092 (isolation #178) » Thu May 28, 2015 4:28 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

There are basically 3 playable tanks right now (Anub'arak, Diablo, Stitches), a few playable Pushers (Sylvanas, Vikings), and a few damage dealers of high tier (Jaina, Illidan, Valla, Nova (?)). Supports are ok balance-wise. Playing any non-healer not on that list puts you at a severe disadvantage.

That said, Anub'arak, Jaina, Malfurion (a healing Zyra) and Valla are super fun, so I've not gotten too grumpy yet.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42095 (isolation #179) » Thu May 28, 2015 5:34 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 42093, pickemgenius wrote:
In post 42092, theelkspeaks wrote:There are basically 3 playable tanks right now (Anub'arak, Diablo, Stitches), a few playable Pushers (Sylvanas, Vikings), and a few damage dealers of high tier (Jaina, Illidan, Valla, Nova (?)). Supports are ok balance-wise. Playing any non-healer not on that list puts you at a severe disadvantage.

That said, Anub'arak, Jaina, Malfurion (a healing Zyra) and Valla are super fun, so I've not gotten too grumpy yet.

HEY WRONG THREAD BUT LEL

Was replying to the post directly above me :P

I just hit Lv. 40 in Heroes today, so I'll be back into playing League now! Put most of my other games on the back burner to get the beta hero portrait.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42127 (isolation #180) » Fri May 29, 2015 5:24 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Anyone have a preferred site for looking up ranks/stats of other players in your game? I forgot which site I used to use
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42135 (isolation #181) » Fri May 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 42128, JasonWazza wrote:I personally do way too many checks in my own mind but meh.

OP.GG i use the multi search in champion select
Carry.GG i go over the broader game wide spectrum.

Thanks, carry.gg was in fact the one I was looking for!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42238 (isolation #182) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:59 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... b=overview

Finally out of Bronze V in a season where I've played terribly for significant portions and haven't played that much altogether. Still feels great to be back on the right track!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42355 (isolation #183) » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:41 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

First 10-game win streak!

http://imgur.com/OKjCE3d
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42357 (isolation #184) » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Yeah, I learned a lot from that game.

Things like don't play Jax.

Especially not AP Jax

Even if you're stuck with top lane and your team's AD heavy.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42440 (isolation #185) » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:33 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Isn't there a mystery champ and a summoner icon reward in there? I own most champs, but one more would be nice!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42442 (isolation #186) » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:01 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 42441, animorpherv1 wrote:
In post 42440, theelkspeaks wrote:Isn't there a mystery champ and a summoner icon reward in there? I own most champs, but one more would be nice!

I believe Panzer already owns all the champs.

Ah, ok! I'm still going for Azir, Bard, Cassiopeia, Ekko, Kalista, Rek'Sai, Skarner, and Wukong. At about 9K IP right now, so I can pick one of those up if/when I feel like it.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42444 (isolation #187) » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:14 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I'll probably get one after I get mysteried one, currently leaning Rek'sai but still deciding - is Wukong really that good right now?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42464 (isolation #188) » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:36 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

I might be up for some games this week to get some points towards those team up rewards. Would be interested in making (temporary) ranked 5's teams so we can get wardskin points at the same time, but team builder is fine by me too.

Will be out of town most of tomorrow and Monday.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42500 (isolation #189) » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:48 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Haven't seen the item yet that you guys are talking about, but if it's a jungle item with Lich Bane ability, might make Akali jungle back to being a thing.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42544 (isolation #190) » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:52 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

If you like to poke, join the ADC Varus main club! He's great, just poke forever with Q while rushing IE -> PD.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42549 (isolation #191) » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Just played a game with a few of you, was playing Voli jungle. We won, but I feel I definitely could've played better - anyone see any obvious mistakes to point out?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42884 (isolation #192) » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:26 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Been having a little trouble with new Ashe, seems I just don't do enough damage, anyone have advice on her?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42955 (isolation #193) » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:43 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I got a free gaming mouse with my new laptop a month or so ago, and it had two side buttons (as well as DPI adjustment button).

No idea how to use them effectively for gameplay, lol, so I just bound Sona toggle to one and laugh to the other.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43084 (isolation #194) » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:57 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Got Arclight Varus for my Mystery (only about 7 champs not owned). Best skin for my main champ, super stoked!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43186 (isolation #195) » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:19 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 43183, quadz08 wrote:
In post 43181, Maestro wrote:I'm gonna start hopping into the "Scumchat" public room on login

I am also doing this

I have mine set likewise.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43484 (isolation #196) » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:37 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 43477, tn5421 wrote:I am mildly displeased to be solo ranked in Bronze 3. I am further displeased that both of my games after getting ranked were troll games where my teammates basically threw the game by not acting like a team.

I like to play top and mid and definitely prefer to play mage type characters. Malzahar, Mordekaiser, Kennen, Annie, Brand, and Heimerdinger all make me giddy.

My Summoner ID is tn5421 @ NA if anyone wants to play with me.

I primarily play both roles of bot lane (Varus and Sona, respectively), and just made it to Bronze II yesterday - I'd be up for duoing some time! I'm still called theelkspeaks on LoL (NA).
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44395 (isolation #197) » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Maining a champ who's relatively underplayed but still playable is also an option for climbing ELO (currently me on ADC Varus for over a year). You almost always get your pick, and if you know how to play all the matchups, you just straight up win the game a decent amount of the time unless the other two lanes are way behind.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44557 (isolation #198) » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Pentakill Karthus anyone?