Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7200 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:33 am

Post by Klazam »

That said, I've went octgn before and didn't have any problems
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7201 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:44 am

Post by Natirasha »

That and it is not a resource hog. Every time I've tried to run xmage on my computer it chugs and chugs and is impossible to actually use.
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7202 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:50 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

A) No, xmage doesn't have
all
the cards for modern. It does seem to have every relevant modern card. I've put together a ton of more uncommon decks (along with more common ones) and never run into a card availability issue; Bloom Titan, 8 Rack, Ad Nauseum, Puresteel Paladin Storm, Combo Allies, Turbo Fog, no issues.

B) xmage allows spectators.

~~

@Nati, maybe your toaster shouldn't double as your computer?
/s
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #7203 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:00 am

Post by Yaw »

Cool. How fast is XMage at getting new sets programmed? I think we'd want to allow Kaladesh cards, let people to deckbuild a bit with the new options. (OCTGN usually has new cards within 2 weeks of the full spoiler going up, I've heard Cockatrice might be faster than that.)

How interested are people at making a show out of this, given that we can spectate in any program?
Success breeds suspicion
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #7204 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:55 am

Post by McMenno »

xmage has the new sets running very fast, for example the whole kaladesh set is up already but it's still a little buggy and the bugs are being fixed
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All

Post Post #7205 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:57 am

Post by McMenno »

oh and of course it doesn't have all the cards in magic history, mostly obscure cards and cards that are hard to program (e.g. skullbriar only got added recently)
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #7206 (ISO) » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:52 am

Post by PJ. »

YAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7207 (ISO) » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:26 am

Post by Natirasha »

My first impressions of Kaladesh limited(after 12 drafts) is that this format is very linear but also hilarious. It's reaally hard to come back from behind, and it has Zendikar-Gatecrash "draft all the two drops" thing, but is waaay more fun overall. All the energy cards are powerful, way more than most would think. Don't bother with lots of do-nothing synergies, just play good creatures and turn them sideways.

Best color is black, worst color is blue by a half-mile. Green, then red, then white is the rest of the order. Which is a bit paradoxical one might think, but white's issue is it's all X/2s that trade the whole time. However, since there are so many 3/Xs as well, blue's defensive drops just don't work out and the whole color is good at Doing Nothing in this set. Die Young is the best common and it gets out of control so easily, one of my favorite removal spells they've printed in a long time.

Also, Panharmonicon is amazing if you go off but it's a trap :(
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All

Post Post #7208 (ISO) » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Post by McMenno »

panharmonicon best edh card though
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #7209 (ISO) » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:26 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 7207, Natirasha wrote:My first impressions of Kaladesh limited(after 12 drafts) is that this format is very linear but also hilarious. It's reaally hard to come back from behind, and it has Zendikar-Gatecrash "draft all the two drops" thing, but is waaay more fun overall. All the energy cards are powerful, way more than most would think. Don't bother with lots of do-nothing synergies, just play good creatures and turn them sideways.

Best color is black, worst color is blue by a half-mile. Green, then red, then white is the rest of the order. Which is a bit paradoxical one might think, but white's issue is it's all X/2s that trade the whole time. However, since there are so many 3/Xs as well, blue's defensive drops just don't work out and the whole color is good at Doing Nothing in this set. Die Young is the best common and it gets out of control so easily, one of my favorite removal spells they've printed in a long time.

Also, Panharmonicon is amazing if you go off but it's a trap :(
I was really curious about this. I listened to most of Limited Resources on the set and every time a 2 drop comes up LSV is all like, "2/2 or 2/1 is a weak baseline so we are really looking for the ability to sell us on this here.", but when the entire power level of the set is obviously above average and the vehicle mechanic seems very aggression favored it seems like you expect aggression to dominate and for things to skew that way.

"draft all the two drops" sounds like you're agreeing with my suspicions. I guess I would also ask, does that seem more universal or archetype specific? Does B/x aggro want to draft all the 2 drops and the other colors want to draft a higher curve and pick up one or two ways of dealing with that, or does every deck need to pick up some extra low curve stuff to "keep up" with lots of general ability to do damage quickly in the set.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #7210 (ISO) » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:42 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

drafted and played one round of a Legacy Cube league

y'all know what's better than going Grim Lavamancer into Abbot of Keral Keep into Ancient Tomb & Beetleback Chief into Hellrider into Goblin Bushwhacker game 1?

doing this game 2.

deck here

it really saddens me to not play Consecrated Sphinx but I think it's the right call

[edit] went 2-1, no repeats of match 1 unfortunately. also in hindsight, should have considered dropping the Mutavault. it only ended up attacking once in all 3 matches, and it messed with Ashenmoor Gorger once or twice (and was awkward w/ Koth)
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All

Post Post #7211 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:57 am

Post by McMenno »

I feel like there's some salt going on with your opponent there
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7212 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:39 am

Post by Natirasha »

In post 7209, popsofctown wrote:I was really curious about this. I listened to most of Limited Resources on the set and every time a 2 drop comes up LSV is all like, "2/2 or 2/1 is a weak baseline so we are really looking for the ability to sell us on this here.", but when the entire power level of the set is obviously above average and the vehicle mechanic seems very aggression favored it seems like you expect aggression to dominate and for things to skew that way.

"draft all the two drops" sounds like you're agreeing with my suspicions. I guess I would also ask, does that seem more universal or archetype specific? Does B/x aggro want to draft all the 2 drops and the other colors want to draft a higher curve and pick up one or two ways of dealing with that, or does every deck need to pick up some extra low curve stuff to "keep up" with lots of general ability to do damage quickly in the set.
It's across the board, you can't durdle around til turn 4 in this format. Even the most defensive deck in the format--UB--has a 2-drop as it's marquis uncommon as a reason, it's just that important to put down a wall of some sort. That being said, the aggro-y decks definitely need them more. My most picked commons in the format so far are in order (1) Die Young, (2) Thriving Rats (3) Sage of Shaila's Claim. Of course, this is partly personal bias(I think GB energy is the best deck in the format and it's not even close). Pikers are good in this set except against one specific deck(WG fabricate) because there really aren't that many servos all things considered and it's really easy to trade up with 2 power. On the other hand, a card that would be amazing in most formats like Aether Theorist(or even Contraband Kingpin, UB is pretty bad) are worse than average because they don't block well and are easily overwhelmed.

Or to put it another way, I think playing for the long game is a mistake in this format. With the exception of a few absurd bombs, there's just not enough inevitability in the lategame decks. Like, the deck with the best lategame is probably GB energy and that deck has a super proactive gameplan so like ???

To put it a final way, they actually made a format where Mulldrifter is bad(I also think most vehicles are bad unless you're in white or have the rares, most of the creatures grow as the game goes on due to all the shenanigans you can pull in this format so you already have undercosted beaters).
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7213 (ISO) » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:56 am

Post by popsofctown »

The thriving cycle reminds me a lot of plated geopede in terms of having a hidden can't block text that can skew aggro
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7214 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:40 am

Post by Natirasha »

Opened Crucible, Chandrs, Dovin, and 3 fastlands. Feels good.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #7215 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:55 am

Post by InflatablePie »

Opened promo Nissa and regular Nissa with some really good GW. Went 4-0 and won twelve packs.

In my last match, I killed my opponent's Chandra and played my regular Nissa. She died but I ended up winning. Game 2, I played turn 5 regular Nissa, make a dude and pass, turn 6 ult Nissa, land and draw, and play the foil Nissa I drew for turn.

My opponent almost got whiplash from the double take.

Only drew Nissa in 3/9 games. Drew the 3GW "+5/5 trample to one creature or +2/2 and vig to all" card most games and that card was insane for me. Then again, I had 6 two drop creatures (two Hawks, Sage of Shalias Claim, energy mana dork, two Trusted Companion), some good 3s (two Glint Smith Artisan, a Thriving Rhino, the guy with etb +1/1 to a creature) and two of the 3/3 trample fabricate dudes, so I definitely had the deck for it. I think LSV was kind of low on the card but I don't think I lost a single game after casting it.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #7216 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:00 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

I played black/white servos and things that make servos awesome (master tinkerer, underhanded designs, the artifact creatures get +1/+1 dude, and aaaangel of invention

Won the first two matches pretty solidly, lost to a chandra/do ysoverign deck where we went to game 3 where I intentionally attacked when I shouldn't have with about 30 seconds left on the clock and then died to the skysoverign played after, and then played another match where I mulligan ed both games and couldn't get my synergies together before getting killed by an aggressive blue deck with 3 of the 4/3 whales and the blue 'bounce everything but this' rare (though I flooded out the 2nd game pretty hard)

Went 2-2 and beat pie at pack wars
So I'm the real winner here
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7217 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:32 pm

Post by Natirasha »

I won first place on the back of skyship stalker and fabrication module and Chandra and Architect of the Untamed and Cloudblazer.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7218 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:51 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Bombs seemed pretty strong in sealed, I'm hoping draft is better.
"Well, I..."
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #7219 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Post by xyzzy »

I did so bad all weekend but I did a 2HG at Star City Game Center and opened a Chandra. sadly we never got as far as Chandra actually leaving the library, much less getting onto the battlefield. but, like, that's one more Chandra than I had yesterday. Brad Nelson personally murdered me with a flying boat though
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7220 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:27 pm

Post by Natirasha »

You didn't miss much, Chandra isn't great.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7221 (ISO) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:14 am

Post by DeathNote »

If I cast this and then another spell, do I gain 2 life or 1 life?
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7222 (ISO) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:37 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I believe it works like Storm does, where the "Spells cast" goes up when you play it, not when it resolves. So if you cast a spell, and then cast a second spell before the first resolves, you gain 1 life with the first and 2 life with the second, for a total of 3 life.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7223 (ISO) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:41 am

Post by DeathNote »

Ok so the triggers are based off what the spell number is right? So If I cast the reservoir as my second spell and then cast a 3rd spell that turn I will gain 3 life from reservoir.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7224 (ISO) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:01 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Right. Reservoir "sees" cards that were played before it enters play, since it only cares about the number of spells per turn. So if reservoir is in play, the first spell you play immediately gives you a trigger to gain 1 life, the second spell you playing immediately gives you a trigger to gain 2 life, and so on, regardless of whether the spells in question actually resolve. Similarly, if the spell you cast is the third spell, you immediately get a trigger to gain three life, even if Reservoir itself didn't see the first spell.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

Return to “The Arcade”