The Cubing Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Adding on to that, the problem is not the turning. That much I have figured out. though confusing they are actually quite reasonable.

The problem being that I don't understand 4th dimension. Such as why red keeps appearing when red is not one of the colors of the cube.

It is too much for a 12:30AM endeavor.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Post by Psyche »

EST FTW!
Jun
Jun
Goon
Jun
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Post by Jun »

Hi everyone! I found this thread in Robocopter87's signature while playing in a newbie game. This is my first post on this side of the forums.

I have a megaminx that I haven't been able to solve. I was able to solve everything except the top, and can use some of my 3x3x3 solving methods to move around the pieces, but I can't flip and move around the top layer edge pieces since my normal 3x3x3 algorithms don't work on the megaminx. I'm wondering if anyone might share any tips or tricks to go about solving it.

I also have a 6x6x6 cube that is quite nice. It's not an official Rubik's cube, but it's interesting to play with nonetheless. Has anyone ever played with one of those? It's from the Greek V-CUBE company. I realized the way I randomize the cube before solving it isn't completely random so it ends up being relatively easy to solve by combining elements from the way I normally solve my 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 cubes.

So what's the largest you've ever tried to solve, and what's the largest you've successfully solved!?
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:34 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

For the Megaminx I gotta ask what methods of 3x3 solving you already know. From there I should be able to show you how you can properly solve that last layer.

V cubes are really nice. And I personally have only solved up to 5x5. But simply applying 4x4 and 5x5 methods should work.

Jun
Jun
Goon
Jun
Goon
Goon

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:32 pm

Post by Jun »

I first do the f2l, oll, and then pll. I don't know all of the algorithms, but I know enough of them to consistently get the job done. Not breaking any speed records over here, that's for sure. I'm sub 60 seconds on a good run.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 75, Robocopter87 wrote:Adding on to that, the problem is not the turning. That much I have figured out. though confusing they are actually quite reasonable.

The problem being that I don't understand 4th dimension. Such as why red keeps appearing when red is not one of the colors of the cube.

It is one of the colours of the cube. What you see there is kinda like what you see with a Rubik's cube lying on a table: You can't see the 'bottom' face.
Zaicon
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:57 am

Post by Zaicon »

Hey, Robocopter. What cube brands do you mainly use (for 3x3)?
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:45 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 80, Scigatt wrote:
In post 75, Robocopter87 wrote:Adding on to that, the problem is not the turning. That much I have figured out. though confusing they are actually quite reasonable.

It is one of the colours of the cube. What you see there is kinda like what you see with a Rubik's cube lying on a table: You can't see the 'bottom' face.

I don't understand...

I am fully capable of turning the cube, and I've turned and spun it. I still see no red. It simply isn't on the cube. The I spin it and red is suddenly on the cube. Unless this has something to do with 4d, then I am very confused.

Jun wrote:I first do the f2l, oll, and then pll. I don't know all of the algorithms, but I know enough of them to consistently get the job done. Not breaking any speed records over here, that's for sure. I'm sub 60 seconds on a good run.

Well the reason I asked was because CFOP doesn't work on a megaminx unless you expand your algs. It is a huge alg base for the last layer on the megaminx if you use CFOP.

I use regular F2L until i hit the last layer, and since I originally started cubing with Dan Brown on youtube, his last layer method actually can be applied to the megaminx.

Is it fast? No. Is it successful? Everytime.

Zaicon wrote:Hey, Robocopter. What cube brands do you mainly use (for 3x3)?

I am the proud owner of a Lubix Fusion, White, Fluorescent stickers with purple replacing yellow (Yellow is ugly).

This baby is the master of masters. Only second to the rather expensive Elite. Actually I do not fully know the market but when I acquired this cube it was the second best in the world. And it shows.

I began with Rubik's brands, which are pretty crappy in quality. However the actual quality range from cube to cube is significantly different. One cube you buy out of the box would take a lot of force to turn while others were actually quite smooth.

Using Rubik's I got down to 30 second solves, using the original method. Pretty much the limit for what I was using and the method.

I bought a Zhanchi and everything just changed. I dropped below 30 but I knew I needed CFOP, so I began to learn CFOP.

Somewhere during me learning CFOP I bought my Fusion and its been my cube ever since.

As for other sizes of cubes:

Megaminx: Mf8
Pyraminx: QJ
5x5: ShengShou
4x4: ShengShou
2x2: Type C WitTwo
Around 4 Magics, being the different 4 kinds. (Dont remember the names)
I also had a lucky find and acquired a Rubik's Missing Link (w/instruction manual)
Alexander's Star
Some sq-1

Lots of doubles though, all Rubiks brand.

So yeah thats what I have.

Jun
Jun
Goon
Jun
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:42 am

Post by Jun »

Dan Brown? I'll have to check his videos out.

Do you ever go to any of the speed solving tournaments? There's one in my area that a friend always invites me to. I never go since I'm still around the 60 second mark.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:46 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

Well he won some award for best teaching video or something.

It is a terrible way to solve the 3x3 but it is really easy to learn. And can be easily applied to Megaminx.

I personally wish I could go to some tournaments but I haven't been able to get to any. When I get my license I'll be sure to go to one.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:57 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

Holy frick. This man is the current world record holder.

You have one hour. As many cubes as you feel like. And then you get to memo as long as you like and solve as long as you like.

Though unofficial, this beats his WR and he will most likely be able to do it in competition.

His current WR is 26/29 in 53.01

Zaicon
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:26 am

Post by Zaicon »

My cube list includes...

1 x Rubik's Cube
1 x Alpha I
1 x Dayan Guhong I
1 x Dayan Lingyun I
1 x Dayan Lunhui (Main)
1 x Dayan Zhanchi

1 x Eastsheen 2x2
1 x Lanlan 2x2
1 x X-Cube 4
1 x Dayan+MF8 4x4
1 x Ghosthand 5x5
1 x QJ Megamix (Was supposed to be a QJ Pyraminx but the seller sent the wrong one.)
1 x Cubetwist Magic
1 x MF8 SQ1

I would buy a modded cube (from Lubix), but I'm happy with my Lunhui, so it's not really worth getting another cube yet.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:34 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Nice collection, what do you average?

Zaicon
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Post by Zaicon »

My fastest Ao12 is 19.60. I wouldn't consider myself fully sub-20 yet, but I'm close.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

I just want a sub20 Ao5

That is my current goal. Then Ao12.

Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 82, Robocopter87 wrote:
In post 80, Scigatt wrote:

I don't understand...

I am fully capable of turning the cube, and I've turned and spun it. I still see no red. It simply isn't on the cube. The I spin it and red is suddenly on the cube. Unless this has something to do with 4d, then I am very confused.
A Rubik's tesseract has 8 3d 'faces', each singly coloured. The 8th face is hidden in hyperspace, similar in a way to the bottom face of a cube resting on a table.

Edit:Try Ctrl-clicking on the side faces to see the red face.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Sweet baby jesus.

You wanna help me figure it out?

I don't know where to begin, I'm think possibly go from the ground up. I think it might be a good place to start just to apply cfop to it.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Every time I begin to get a grip on this thing I get too tired to do stuff.

This is all DRK's fault.

But I will figure this thing out. And solve it at least once.

While I'm here might as well write this down.

Colors on this thing:

Brown, Red, Purple, Yellow, Dark Blue, light blue, Mediumish blue, Green

Two of which aren't actually visible apparently.

This is going to be fun.

EDIT: Just got one of those 2:30 epiphany things. I understand the 8th face and how it interacts and spins with the rest of the cube. It makes this whole thing so much easier. But I'm going to go to bed. I'll work on actually solving it some other time. I'm just glad I can turn it.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Alright, I can do everything but Slices. I don't know how to do them. Anybody have anything on that?

Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 93, Robocopter87 wrote:Alright, I can do everything but Slices. I don't know how to do them. Anybody have anything on that?
From what I gathered from the short time I spent playing it, the only way is the long way.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog
Pronoun: she

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:31 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

Spoiler: mathy hypercube stuff
You can take the vertices of the hypercube to be the set of all (x,y,z,w), with x, y, z, and w belonging to the set {-1,1}. The "faces" of the hypercube (there are 8 of these and each of them is a three-dimensional cube) can each be described by a set of 8 points - the vertices of the face.

To find the vertices of a "face", choose 3 of the 4 coordinates and list all possible ways to make each of them -1 or 1. Then choose either 1 or -1 for the other coordinate (it should be the same for each point). This will give you the 8 vertices of one "face". By choosing each possible set of 3 coordinates and choosing either -1 or 1 for the remaining coordinate, you get all 8 faces.

So what was the point of mentioning all that? Well, let's say you choose the x, y, and z coordinates to vary. You would generate the vertices of two "faces" of the hypercube. The vertices of these two "faces" would differ only in their fourth coordinate....they occupy exactly the same location in 3-dimensional space. That's where the missing "face" comes into play. There's one face of the hypercube that's permanently hidden behind another. You can rotate the hypercube such that no face is completely hidden, but you'll always have at least one "face" at least half hidden. When that happens, that "face" is automatically hidden to avoid confusion.

You'll notice that rotating the cube by just clicking and dragging does not reveal this face. That's because doing so is rotating the hypercube about a line connecting those two faces. It just appears to be rotating about a point because rotating about a line in 4 dimensions gives the same number of degrees of freedom as rotating about a point in 3 dimensions. As for why that's the default behavior...if you haven't already, try rotating the cube while holding shift. That's what rotation about a point in 4 dimensions does in 3-dimensional space...I think. I don't really feel like trying to visualize what's going on with that or exactly how they did or didn't compress 6 (I think) degrees of freedom into two dimensions of mouse movement, so don't just trust me on that.

I'm not sure if any of that actually helps, but hopefully it does. And if not...well, I needed to fill my nerd quota for the week anyway.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

I think what helped me most was typing tesseract into google images.

because this,

Explained everything.

Also, I was taking a look at the names of the solvers and saw a name on there that I know. I think it might be possible to get a hold of him. His name is Dan Cohen. He is pretty active on another site devoted entirely to cubing.

When I'm back on my computer I'll see if I can contact him.

Scigatt wrote:
In post 93, Robocopter87 wrote:Alright, I can do everything but Slices. I don't know how to do them. Anybody have anything on that?
From what I gathered from the short time I spent playing it, the only way is the long way.

Dang! Well that isnt too much work.

combinatorialEnigma
combinatorialEnigma
Goon
combinatorialEnigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Post by combinatorialEnigma »

Oh look, it's a cubing thread.

Hi Robocopter, I recognize your username from Speedsolving.com.

I'm known as Specs112 on Speedsolving (I have three different usernames that I use for forums, and I try to keep it inconsistent). You might recognize that name. If you don't that's okay too. I'm only getting into Mafia now for the first time.

I average ~18 seconds. Used to be 16-17 but stopped practicing as much.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:29 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Oh yeah! Of course I remember you.

Mafia is super fun, and when I took my hiatus from here I went to speedsolving for a while. Then I left there and came back here.

I'm trying to hit sub 20 but I just can't throw myself over.

Thinking about learning full OLL.

combinatorialEnigma
combinatorialEnigma
Goon
combinatorialEnigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:33 pm

Post by combinatorialEnigma »

Did you see my PM to you on Speedsolving just now? Pffhehe.

I know full OLL minus ~10 algorithms.

If you need help with the cube lessons you had earlier in the thread, I can do that.

I've played a decent amount of face to face mafia but never online.

Return to “The Arcade”