Anyone familiar with Warhammer?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Anyone familiar with Warhammer?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 11:00 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, I've got some friends who are into Warhammer and 40K, and a Games Workshop store just opened up near me. Is it worth spending the money to get into? I hear the game is capable of being ridiculously expensive, and I'm not sure its worth the layout, or the time it would take to paint.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 3:57 pm

Post by gorckat »

There is a huge time investment in painting and assembling- if you do not enjoy that, do not take the leap.

Your best bet is to go to the store and your friends and play all the demos and free stuff you can. If you like the game, take $100 and buy a squad (a single box) and the paints and the tools you'll need to assemble them. Spend a week or three (depending on how much time you have) painting.

If your jimmies are rustled, decide how much you want to invest (both time and money) and go from there. You don't need to leap into a 2000 point army right away. You might spend a couple hundred bucks and then change directions. You'll need to decide if you will be a dabbler in all races and have a couple squads of each for little pick up games or go all out for one race.

I dabbled in high school with the Squats (space dwarves) and after ~$200 (15 years ago, probably $400 now? Not sure how there pricing has changed) got out because they released a new Codex that made my minis obsolete. Each race has a Codex that describes the history and has the army lists/compositions. Not sure how often they cycle Codex's these days.

I'm looking at getting into the Flames of War WW2 line of minis, but with WW2 are so many mini options there, you aren't locked into one line of minis or one set of rules. It's possible to buy one set of minis and use it in various rule sets with minimal issues. Games Workshop is uber strict about what you can play with at their tables. Their minis, fully painted. I've got enough contrarian in me that it always annoyed me.

Return to “The Arcade”