A question about sportsmanship

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Nero
Nero
Goon
Nero
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:21 am

Post by Nero »

Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Post by Korts »

In post 23, Thestatusquo wrote:I agree with the article that if you are making up your own set of rules that are extraneous to the game and based off of your own sensibilities of how the game "ought to be played" then you are not playing to win, which is what they mean by "scrub." You are not a high level gamer. That's fine if you're not aspiring to be. But, and this is the important part, do not be surprised, or offended when you attempt to play people who are high level gamers and you lose because they are only playing by the constraints of the rules of the game, and you are playing by arbitrary self imposed standards.

Grace is winning. That's really the only way to look at in my book. If you're playing the game for aesthetics outside of that then I think we will spend a long time talking past each other trying to discuss this, because I really can't understand that perspective.

This might be an interesting read for you, though.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... aily/mr11b
Yeah, that's a really helpful article. I'm definitely a Johnny in every game I play. I don't avoid "cheap" tactics because they are cheating in some way, I avoid them because they don't show my full potential or express my playstyle.
scumchat never die

Return to “The Arcade”