Dnd

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Dnd

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Post by IH »

I remember there being a pen and paper thread, but I can't seem to find it.

so all campaigns or game rules/settings welcome! I'm currently involved in two 3.5 campaigns and writingmy own. it's pretty awesome having a household that can get together and play like 3 times a week.

in the first I'm playing a badger oriented druid where the story consists of elemental god candidates battling each other for dominance. The other party members are a halfling black rogue (as in he's a stereotypical black guy, being played by a black guy cause he thinks it's funny), who calls himself a captain without a real ranking looking to become famous and a sorceror with unrelated earth powers and an amnesiac past that he's worked out with the dm.

the second campaign is a nautical campaign where I'm playing a scholarly navigator monk. I come from a floating library, where at a coming of age they are sent out into the world to collect useful information for the library.(think a kind of quarian deal from mass effect, but instead of wealth or value, it's knowledge.) so far this story is super engaging, and the dm has made some awesome unforgettable characters. all I know is that some gold dragon, which is supposed to be a good dragon, is working with someone who emits such an evil aura he causes nausea and can knock someone out with presence. the other two party members are a sorceror tinkerer who is building spell guns and cartridges and a magically powered battle suit and a half orc barbarian who's like... chaotic instictually evil. he does whatever he feels like whenever he wants to, and is currently using a soulsucking battle axe, which us other two don't know about. he's the son of some pirate warlord, though in game his character hasn't realized it because he's stupid... with a strength of 19. when soul buffed, bulls strengthed, and raging he hit around 26 strength and then passed out for two days after wrestling with giant serpents.

so what about games you guys are playing in? tell me bout it!
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:22 am

Post by bv310 »

I really, really want to try a DnD campaign or something similar. Unfortunately, the town I'm in right now doesn't have a huge pen-and-paper scene, and I can't find enough people/a person to DM on roll20
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:25 am

Post by Majiffy »

THIS SHOULD BE IN THE GAME THREAD BECAUSE ITS A GAME HURR HURR HURR
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:01 am

Post by FakeGod »

The game started fairly normally.

Our party, which included a wizard, Rogue/Assassin, Artificer, and a Abjurant Champion (I think?), ran into some fiendish wolves chasing down a tiefling girl. We fight them off, and eventually kill the demon lord wolf who is their leader. We cut his head off and pack him up hoping to sell his hide for good price in town.

Fast forward a bit, we, including the tiefing girl, were resting in an inn, with our rogue/assassin keeping watch from a rooftop of a building across the road. Some guy climbs on to the rooftop next to our rogue, so our rogue stops him and decides to chat with him for a bit. He learned that someone paid the dude (he was a duskblade) gold to kill the girl and bring back her head. After bit of diplomacy and bribery, we convinced him to dupe his employer with a fake head. We disguised the wolf head (we still had it with us) with makeup & illusions and sent him on his merry way.

At this point, our DM starts to crack up. We ask him what's up but he told us to keep going, and that's what we did. Eventually, we ran into the final boss room where we find a high-level cleric, the demon lord wolf again, the duskblade, and non-functioning shadesteel golem. We were confused because the cleric had mostly defense and stall spells prepared, and we were high enough level that the demon wolf wasn't much of a threat any more. The golem became functional after the cleric died, but we ganged up on it and took it down. tl dr: easy final boss.

At this point our DM, who looked like he's been constipated trying not to laugh for the past two hours, finally spills the beans. Turns out the cleric needed tiefling souls to activate the golem, which was why he was sending minions to hunt the tiefling girl down. Apparently his plan was to cast resurrection on the girl's head to bring her back, then kill her with a special sword that can suck out souls. Imagine his surprise when he cast resurrection on the head, only to find his worthless wolf back instead of the girl. Also, the spells he prepared for that day made more sense if the golem had been active.

So we ruined the final boss's plans by sheer accident. It was a good day.
C/P'ed from reddit.

I was the DM.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:04 am

Post by FakeGod »

If anyone has a good bladesinger (from complete warrior) build they would like to share, I'd be grateful.

We don't play with anything other than core, phb2, and complete series.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:40 am

Post by Oman »

I am moving to a new city with a bigger DnD following. I'm really excited to play again.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:21 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I'm gonna need some people to talk with me who are experienced DMs so that I can get some help.

Grimm/Gamma/Fate/Nuwen kinda jumped the gun on the last campaign, killed one of the guys I was saving to be a big endgame encounter for their level, and now they're split in two separate areas because they all made different decisions at the end. I need a way to mend it back together, and I have some ideas, but I'm iffy on them. If you wanna talk story, message me.
green shirt thursdays
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:25 am

Post by chesskid3 »

kill half of them off
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:35 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Our players go off in every damn direction too. It's not so bad for us because Orbiting and I co-GM so one of us can ride herd on one group in the den while the other GMs the rest in the living room, until they reintegrate... if you're running it solo, you might consider asking one of the groups to show up early and play their part to completion/reunification? Or you can just let them wait as 'punishment' for splitting up.

How did they beat the endgame guy, lucky rolls? Cleverness? You can usually bring in HIS boss, or something like that, or just rework it so that their cleverness is rewarded (while giving them some other challenge to deal with, if that will make the end anticlimactic).
Retired as of October 2014.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:39 am

Post by Majiffy »

In post 6, xRECKONERx wrote:now they're split in two separate areas because they all made different decisions at the end. I need a way to mend it back together, and I have some ideas, but I'm iffy on them. If you wanna talk story, message me.

||
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:41 am

Post by Battousai »

I don't know what DnD rules you go by, but I would just bring him back as a wraith or vengeful spirit with an ability to teleport after receiving x amount of damage or x turns. This punishes the players for splitting up by not allowing them to coordinate on the boss, but also rewards them with extra rewards for killing an upgraded boss.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:53 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Well...

> They infiltrate a religious group that has corrupted a bunch of local town officials
> They are starved/stripped naked and must endure trials
> They get fed up with the abuse and assault the "acolyte trainer" with no gear or weapons and somehow manage to kill him because FUCK MONKS SO HARD

I had planned on them killing him at some point but they bypassed MOST of the adventure I had planned by killing him this early since he was going to run them through the motions. Also it doesn't help that now they've
killed someone in the cult
which is highly suspicious, so I had them go to the cult leader and he basically offered them to leave now for the trouble they've caused or stay and repent and continue in the cult. Three of them chose to stay to learn more information about what exactly the cult has planned/who is on their payroll, but Fate refused to stay and was thrown out on the street with literally nothing (no clothes, no gear, nothing). He's currently en route to the guy who told them about the cult to discuss what to do, and the rest of the party was thrown back into their cells and have quite the rigorous indoctrination routine coming up.

I just don't know how to blend the stories, this is also all I feel comfortable discussing openly in the thread since all four of them will probably read this, so if someone wants to hear my ideas/help me craft some kinda story for this, PM me.
green shirt thursdays
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:04 am

Post by Majiffy »

In post 11, xRECKONERx wrote:Three of them chose to stay to learn more information about what exactly the cult has planned/who is on their payroll ... and the party was thrown back into their cells and have quite the rigorous indoctrination routine coming up.
In post 11, xRECKONERx wrote:but Fate refused to stay and was thrown out on the street with literally nothing (no clothes, no gear, nothing). He's currently en route to the guy who told them about the cult to discuss what to do

||
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:04 am

Post by Majiffy »

There, I have mystically blended their storylines back together.

||
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:05 am

Post by Majiffy »

You can thank me later.

||
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:11 am

Post by FakeGod »

Well the obvious question first:

Wouldn't they see this thread?
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:12 am

Post by Majiffy »

The kool-aid will help them forget.

||
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:13 am

Post by Majiffy »

Besides, they don't know if it's Jones Kool-Aid or Kesey Kool-Aid, and we're going to leave them guessing
until it kicks in and they suddenly have an overwhelming urge to listen to Dark Side of the Moon.

||
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:27 am

Post by FakeGod »

In post 9, Majiffy wrote:
In post 6, xRECKONERx wrote:now they're split in two separate areas because they all made different decisions at the end. I need a way to mend it back together, and I have some ideas, but I'm iffy on them. If you wanna talk story, message me.
LotR is a great example of typical D&D game.

We have an adventuring party that sets off from Rivendell or whatever.

Gandalf realizes that he multiclassed his wizard with too many fighter levels in Moria, so he tries to kill his character off at what is clearly an encounter they're not ready for. (FLY YOU FOOLS!) Then after he takes a cig break, he makes a deal with DM to let him back in the game with a new character. This time, Gandalf makes a pure wizard, who everyone knows is absolutely broken. Just to ensure his victory, Gandalf tells Pippin and Merry, who got kidnapped by bunch of low-level mooks cuz we all know halflings are trash, to send the treemen at Saruman, who obviously didn't prepare any fire spells for that day. After Isengard gets cheesed by trees, Gandalf show up loaded with fire-resist spells and taunts Saruman, who now prepared nothing but fire spells to beat back the tree people. (LOL!)

Boromir gets owned cuz he built a pure fighter and didn't invest any points in Survival cuz who the hell invests points in Survival as a Fighter. But the DM tipped off Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas that they were going to be fighting in trees a lot so those three maxed Survival, and Boromir gets fucking separated and lost in the woods and gets surrounded and killed by bunch of mooks.

Meanwhile, Frodo dumped his Con so bad and he needs to be carried by Samwise half the game, who's playing a straight fighter and rolled all 18s, a.k.a. reliable as solid rock. Sam solos bunch of encounters and spiders and levels up like crazy, and ends up soloing a tower full of orcs. Sam carries Frodo to the Mount Doom and guess what happens??? Frodo fails ONE JOB he's given and fails his Will Save vs the ring. At this point DM goes "Aw helllll No I'm not playing any more of this shit" and sends in Gollum to finish the game, who bites Frodo's finger off just for good measure.
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:08 pm

Post by IH »

In post 6, xRECKONERx wrote:I'm gonna need some people to talk with me who are experienced DMs so that I can get some help.

Grimm/Gamma/Fate/Nuwen kinda jumped the gun on the last campaign, killed one of the guys I was saving to be a big endgame encounter for their level, and now they're split in two separate areas because they all made different decisions at the end. I need a way to mend it back together, and I have some ideas, but I'm iffy on them. If you wanna talk story, message me.
dude, lich that guy. Rez him and make him bigger badder and with an excuse for vengance! that's always a really fun sub plot, especially if you can make him stalk the players.
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Post by T-Bone »

I play these types of games all the time. I'm currently running through an Ironclaw campaign.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:18 am

Post by Majiffy »

In post 18, FakeGod wrote:
In post 9, Majiffy wrote:
LotR is a great example of typical D&D game.

||
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:26 am

Post by FakeGod »

Majiffy knows what I'm talking about.
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:28 am

Post by sthar8 »

I play RPGs for work :D

Not counting things on "extended break," I'm running:

-A fantasy Savage Worlds campaign for kids (three groups, total of 18 players between 9 and 16 years old)
-Don't Rest Your Head for three players, though they usually play separately
-The Deadlands: Noir Lost Angels campaign for four players.

And I'm playing in:

- an upcoming Deadlands: Noir campaign
- an upcoming Deadlands: Hell on Earth Reloaded campaign
- Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:42 am

Post by T-Bone »

What job do you have that you can do that? Because I want one!
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019

Return to “The Arcade”