Newbie 1562: Olympus or Hades? You decide!

Forum for old private topics
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Newbie 1562: Olympus or Hades? You decide!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Post by fferyllt »

The tales are contradictory regarding where the Fates live. Some set them in attendance of enthroned Zeus. And some set them in Hades.

Welcome,
deathfisaro
and
Tammy
!

This private chat thread is for your pregame and night phase plotting.

You can PM your night-kill choices to me or bold them here.

This chat will be open during the pregame and during the Night phases, and will be closed during the Day phases.

Good luck!
Last edited by fferyllt on Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:39 pm

Post by Tammy »

Hi deathfisaro!
I am in the top 90% of scumhunters onsite!
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Post by Tammy »

I'm grading final exams and getting ready to fly out tomorrow so I don't have much time to be around but I'll try to out whatever information I can in fits and bursts.

Since we're both goons, these are the possible setups.

Town Jailkeeper, 6 vts, 2 goons
Town BP, 6 vts, 2 goons
Cop, 6 vts, 2 goons
Town Doctor, Town Tracker, 2 goons

I think. Anyway, if one of us is run up, we might want to consider claiming one of the town roles so that we can out the actual role or live another day. (I've never actually done that, so this will be a new experience for me to try it!)

I'll post some other bits of advice someone gave me when I first drew mafia on another site, but I'm not sure how much time I'll have.

So, my first piece of advice, don't vote me in RVS. If either of us flip, people will be analyzing the RVS votes, and one thing they'll pick up on is who you vote for. A lot of times people vote their partner in RVS thinking it will look like distancing, and a lot of time people have been lynched over that and nothing else after one person flips.

I'll post more later.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:51 pm

Post by Tammy »

Addendum to the don't vote me in RVS, if there's a bandwagon growing on me feel free to join in for the fun of it. :)

1. Our ultimate goal is to survive, this means we're already entering the game with a different mindset than all the people who drew town. One of the things that people look for is mindsets; we want to emulate a town mindset as much as possible, but remember our goal is to get townies lynched and survive to the end.

2. Even though our ultimate goal is to survive, we don't want to make it obvious that it's our ultimate goal. Freaking out because someone votes you is generally seen as more scum like behavior because scum have a survivalist mentality. (This is not necessarily true; I actually have a town meta of freaking out if I'm voted and near a lynch, though it's something I'm trying to work on because it's not really helpful in games. Also, people new to the game sometimes do have strong reactions to being voted. This is mostly personality based, but in general you don't want everyone to know that you just really don't want to be lynched.)

3. Try to avoid freaking out about every little point against you. Remember you know you're mafia, but noone else knows that but me. Now this is definitely personality based. This is not to say don't defend yourself, because you should do that, but try to avoid making that all you do, so if someone is calling you scum and raising points against you try to balance the amount of defending you do with actual scum hunting. You want to look like your ultimate goal is to lynch scum.

4. There are lots of different schools of thought on how partners should interact. Some people think that you should always distance by suspecting your partner and pushing them just enough. This gets a little tricky though because if you're suspecting your partner for silly things, it can very easily look like distancing when one person flips. Remember no one else knows I'm mafia either except for you. The things I do are going to look suspicious to you because you know that but they might not look suspicious to anyone else. Some people think that defending your partner is always a good route, and being able to pull off a perfect win is amazing, but just like distancing this has to be done carefully as well. Town reading someone who legitimately looks scummy can back fire. I prefer to see how things go in a game. I'm a bigger fan of defending your partner than bussing, but bussing occasionally becomes necessary.

5. I don't get nervous at all interacting with partners though, so don't be nervous to interact with me in any way. Question me on a read, something said, etc, whatever feels natural for you to do. I won't get upset at some pushing either, though if I feel like it could look like a bus I have a tendency to push back strongly. Now, here's the thing, you'll have to figure out what you're going to do if and when that happens. You don't want to make sure that you're on my wagon just for the sake of it as people will look for who bussed and got on because they felt they had to. But, you also don't want to stay off the wagon for no reason if you decide to stay off. So, I'll leave that up to you to decide.

6. Being a newbie is a wonderful thing; you have about 5 games to hide behind with that. Often times newbies experience paranoia towards town leaders who have way more experience than they do because they feel like they're being fooled by others who know how to direct the game their way. I know I did, and it's something I see a lot.

7. Okay some people think it is a really bad thing to give middle of the road reads about people. So being wishy washy, or null reading too many people, can get you extra attention from people. It's looked at as a good thing if you are a bit more definitive in your reads, at least some of them. People think that being wishy-washy is you trying to keep your options open and vote people if it becomes an option for you to do. This isn't necessarily true. I, for instance, have a meta of waffling and getting pretty paranoid, so it is personality based, but it is something that a lot of people do look for. What I can tell you is just try to look like you're trying to figure out the game. If you like fooling people, this won't be difficult for you, but if you don't it might be a little harder trying to lynch people you know are town. Try to look invested, like you're trying to figure it out, and that will go a long way.

8. If you do make a case for someone, vote them. It's okay if you're not voting someone every second of the game, but if you're pushing someone as scum and not actually voting them, people will wonder why. I think one of my biggest mistakes the first time I was mafia was making a case against someone and not voting them. The people who were on my side beforehand were way less willing to listen to me after that.

9. You want to have your own thoughts and reasons for voting someone though. Don't just "parrot" other people's cases. You don't want to just look like a follower. Granted, you're still new, so some of this you'll be able to get away with, and there's not a whole lot wrong with agreeing with someone else's case and "being convinced" by it, but be careful about just following someone willy nilly. Also, along these lines is you want to make sure you can track read changes. Some people look for what our mod calls trajectories and this is (if I understand it correctly) looking at the progression of people's reads and if they make sense. So, if you decide that someone you were previously town reading is now scum, you need to be able to track why you've made that change of mind. (In most cases, there are some of us who are prone to reseting and changing our minds for no discernible reason, but again it's a meta that one builds over time.)

10. Act natural and have fun. Try to emulate your town game as much as you can. Try not to be too overly aggressive or hostile. If we get lynched, we get lynched. These are just stepping stones, and if your first attempt at mafia doesn't go well you can learn from it. (I got lynched in like my first 5 or 6 times as mafia before I was able to pull out one decent mafia game, and I still suck at it because I hate it.) Mostly I just try to have fun when mafia.

Okay, so, ^5, go team, and all that jazz. Sorry if I've given you useless stuff in my rambling, but this will be fun. I'm also sorry if this is overwhelming. I'll keep checking in today to see if you come around :)
deathfisaro
deathfisaro
Goon
deathfisaro
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Post by deathfisaro »

Well I feel like the newbie games are Town skewed so people can learn how to play town (looking at the setup, I see the win rate of mafia at 1/3). So I'm approaching this game as just a learning experience and if we win, I'd say that's actually an accomplishment.

I play very active, react calmly (even at L-1) when attacked. I think I'm gonna stick with it because my only game on this site was town and mimicking my play in that game exactly here will seem town =P
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:33 pm

Post by Tammy »

Doing whatever comes naturally is good!

We'll just do the best we can and have fun!
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:17 am

Post by fferyllt »

Day 1 has started! I'll reopen this thread when the game day ends.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:00 am

Post by fferyllt »

Topic reopened for Night 1. Happy plotting!

Idic
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:49 am

Post by Tammy »

Oh hey we made it through the day!

Cheers.

Who do you want to kill? Does anyone seem like a power role?
deathfisaro
deathfisaro
Goon
deathfisaro
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Post by deathfisaro »

Phew, I thought I made a huge misplay and was going to get lynched when I jumped on firebound wagon.
I knew I was going on a vacation and I got impatient which led to hasty jump =P It's not a hot issue at the moment but I feel like it's going to come up when I'm on the spot.
deathfisaro
deathfisaro
Goon
deathfisaro
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Post by deathfisaro »

Let's think about who's gonna shoot who.
Looking at Matrix 6, it's not row 2 or col A. So 4 cases

Row 1: 1 JK. I feel like you're gonna be JK'd just because you're IC. So
I shoot X (most towny)
Row 3: 1 BP, 1 Tracker. I don't think any of us is significantly more likely to get tracked so
either of us shoot Y (towny)
Col B: 1 Cop. Same as Row 3.
either of us shoot Z (Cop)
Col C: 1 Doc, 1 Tracker. Same as Row 3,
either of us shoot Y

Row 1: I think
X = RayFrost
for being globally townread.
Row 3: At the same time he might be BP and trying to draw a NK, so
Y = SilverWolf
Col B: I can't read Cop this game. Maybe there is no Cop.
Z = ?
. If no strong Cop suspect, just shoot Ray?
Col C: You're very likely be Doc'd for being IC, but from my previous game, it sounded like scums shoot IC first but Docs don't protect IC as much. So Ray might be a candidate also.

Personally, I just want to roflshoot House. He's just so unfun to play with as he plays like a stubborn child who's also deaf and blind, if he can't be policy lynched I just wanna remove him from the game lol.
It's just shooting House would be a bad scum play. We could scapegoat Dooku but if I vote him I'll seem very scummy so he might be hard to lynch. And I could be super suspicious for House's death. Dani's last visited is 29th so if he doesn't come online he gets perfect alibi. I also expect a chaotic Day 2 if we shoot House. Actually that might be interesting and fun, despite me having a high chance of being lynched =P.
deathfisaro
deathfisaro
Goon
deathfisaro
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Post by deathfisaro »

Now if we somehow end up with a no kill (possible in 3/4 setups although actual chance would be quite low) I'm going to say you're either JK'd or Doc'd or is BP or is scum because "ICs ALWAYS die Night 1." I'll just quote my first game's DT where the IC literally said that.
I don't think You played like BP and VTs don't know the setup either so probably you'll be on the spot but don't think it'll be too much of a problem beyond that.

If we successfully kill someone, I'm going to suspect you for scum for the same reason (and the same quote). It won't seem like distancing because I played 1 game, got lynched D1 and IC got shot N1. This event is super fresh and is entirety of my experience on this site so it'll seem like a legit suspicion. Just hope you'll be able to defend yourself if we come to that =P.

And I'll be busy till 2nd. Should have V/LA'd till then =( I'm overextending now after a 16 hour day. I don't know if I can check in again before D2. If deadline is close and I'm still away, just shoot whoever you like =P
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:48 pm

Post by Tammy »

Happy new year!

I just looked at our deadline and we have a couple days so I'm going to go drink wine. :)
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:18 pm

Post by Tammy »

Hey throwing some paranoia my way because I'm the IC and didn't die is just fine.

I'll make the kill. I'd prefer if there's a tracker out there that he track you to nowhere if you are tracked. I don't think you will be though. But I really haven't set up a play that I think I can win in end game with. Part of my approach has been on purpose; it's how I decided I would play an IC game beforehand.

I think that ray frost is a solid kill. He is the most obvtown person in the game. If we have a doc that's who they should be targeting.

I have no clue what house is doing. He could be a pr who thinks it's wise to play hostile and scummy to avoid the nightkill? I don't know, but all his theory expositions are not right. Though, victors replace out from this game while playing in others could mean he's vanilla, but that's also personal preference. Usually if someone is a pr they have a bit more investment in the game and a reason to stay whereas some people find vanilla boring and will let it go.

I didn't pick up any pr tells from anyone else though except firebound when he was saying that he wished it was like at his other site where they could just say their roles but here we have to keep quiet about it. But then when he was asked to claim he seemed confused, so idk. But that was the only possible pr tell I picked up.

Ray frost holding back on some thoughts could be a pr keeping things close to the chest though.

I'll be around off and on tonight until deadline, but as of right now I'm thinking Ray frost due to being the most obvtown.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:32 pm

Post by Tammy »

I'm so glad I just did the time conversion. One day I will learn it properly. I thought we had two more hours than we actually have.

Okay couple things:

You can throw paranoia on me for being alive and the ic.

Victor is still playing other games right now, I'm pretty sure. You can have seen his name in other games currently and get paranoid of that slot if you notice and look it up because he's still around. Bonus if he's recently signed up for another game soon after replacing out here. (You have to be very careful not to violate talking about ongoing games here, but it's fine to bring up this much as a concern.)

Dani is rather non committal and hasn't been around, you can find scummy things there.

If I get lynched, house will probably be convinced dooku is my partner, killing wolfie in that instance might be beneficial. Or the breeze?

Count dooku might be roled actually r he might just be happy to be town and trying to figure things out.

I think you're doing just fine. Don't listen to house attacking you because you haven't changed scum hunting procedures enough from your first to second game. Even if you were town here the approach is just fine for your early games. There is no need to force reads you don't have and house is just learning how to play this game too.
deathfisaro
deathfisaro
Goon
deathfisaro
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:10 pm

Post by deathfisaro »

Hmm okay just shoot Ray.
I'm going to play a little bit slower Day 2 but going to be slightly more aggressive and when people ask me why the change of pace, I'll just say people accusing me of not scumhunting made me become a tryhard now or something like that.
As for House, I'll consistently belittle him, commenting how his posts are lacking reason and logic (strong contrast to player like SilverWolf). I hope other players are smart enough to see that (I bet they already do =P). House as VT threw my first game, probably could use it to my benefit somehow.
As for the alive IC paranoia, probably not gonna be my first post. Not sure how I'll open D2, don't wanna be fluff but don't want to be overaggressive either. Probably going to analyze the result of NK.
Also if we're pushing a wagon, we may have to split up. Both of us on mislynch wagon 2 days in a row together would seem suspicious?
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:23 pm

Post by Tammy »

Don't feel like you have to open or be any way, just be natural.

What weird, especially at being scum is you have to fake Scumhunt and somehow come off genuine and natural. Everyone is learning here. It's lovely to win, but here is your playing grounds - to see what works and what doesn't.

Some people are planners, sounds like you might be :), and some people aren't, I'm not at all I pretty much just roll with what's out there. Either way is fine. Just have fun!

As far as wagons go. Eh there are varied schools of thought on that. I wouldn't worry about it too much, though some people do. Old school of thought is split up on wagons because scum won't want to be on the same wagons. I say meh do whatever, vote wherever you want. You'll have to figure out in which school of thought you feel is best, so if you want to split up, we can split up.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:24 pm

Post by Tammy »

Idk if you're a cat person, but my cat is so cute.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Post by Tammy »

kill ray frost
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Post by Tammy »

Me I do that.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:31 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Tammy kills Ray Frost acknowledged.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:54 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Thread closed until Night 2!

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:15 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Thread reopened.

Idic
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:19 pm

Post by Tammy »

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry.

I knew that I was hammering, but the urge was too great.

If we lose because I lolhammered, I'm so so so sorry. It will be a good learning lesson for what not to do. But I just kind of jumped off the plank.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:19 pm

Post by Tammy »

Obviously I'm going to pretend tomorrow that I didn't know it was the hammer.

Return to “Completed Game Topics”