Kids TV Show Characters Mafia - Dead thread (Some spoilers)

Forum for old private topics
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

I mean I feel like if you get mislynched you are at least partially responsible

That goes for getting vigged too like I was :(
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:45 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

Ugh that was the first time I was ever vigged what a disgrace

Hopefully he actually is an SK so my ego can feel better
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:57 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 225, Spiffeh wrote:I mean I feel like if you get mislynched you are at least partially responsible

That goes for getting vigged too like I was :(
Unless you do something like fake a cop guilty, it's pretty useless to think of people as responsible for their own mislynches.

It's much more productive to think about why your model for "scum" was broken.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:58 pm

Post by BROseidon »

"Towning it up" is mostly arbitrary and bullshit.

As much as MoI can say my ISO was "obviously scum," I can come up with arbitrary reasons as to why it was "obviously town," and I'd be "correct" in the sense that I was literally town this game.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:59 pm

Post by Antihero »

In post 225, Spiffeh wrote:I mean I feel like if you get mislynched you are at least partially responsible
i don't agree with that at all

but that's just my opinion. and you know what they say about those, they're like assholes. they stink and they get really itchy when you don't wipe well enough.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:04 pm

Post by Antihero »

and i suspect the reason you and other people believe this is so that you don't have to feel so bad after you mislynch someone

i also disagree with that

after mislynching someone, you should feel horrible. let that guilt suffocate your ego until you think you're a piece of shit who doesn't know the first thing about scumhunting. only then can you hope to improve.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:10 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

I think it's more a joint effort than entirely the fault of the mislyncher or the mislynched

And I always feel guilty when I mislynch someone even if I don't show it dw

I am a delicate little flower on the inside
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:16 pm

Post by KittyMo »

Transcend has submitted two very stressed out PMs during N6, neither of which had an actual action submission :o
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 231, Spiffeh wrote:I think it's more a joint effort than entirely the fault of the mislyncher or the mislynched

And I always feel guilty when I mislynch someone even if I don't show it dw

I am a delicate little flower on the inside
Tbh it's mostly bad to think of "avoiding mislynches" as a useful skill because there's a certain percentage of mislynches you kind of need to eat for optimal play.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:37 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

That's fair
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:41 pm

Post by Antihero »

In post 233, BROseidon wrote:Tbh it's mostly bad to think of "avoiding mislynches" as a useful skill because there's a certain percentage of mislynches you kind of need to eat for optimal play.
i don't really agree w/ that. but i do think it's bad to think of "avoiding mislynches" as a useful skill because unless you're doing something objectively awful (like faking guilties) or purposefully making an effort to be unlikable, it's largely out of your control.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:43 pm

Post by Antihero »

i'll stop being a horrible, pedantic douche and shut up and go away now

/bleh
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:50 pm

Post by BROseidon »

lol
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:12 pm

Post by Cephrir »

you're great and we love you

i do anyway
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:11 pm

Post by Plotinus »

In post 238, Cephrir wrote:you're great and we love you

i do anyway
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:06 am

Post by DiamondSentinel »

In post 230, Antihero wrote:
and i suspect the reason you and other people believe this is so that you don't have to feel so bad after you mislynch someone

i also disagree with that

after mislynching someone, you should feel horrible. let that guilt suffocate your ego until you think you're a piece of shit who doesn't know the first thing about scumhunting. only then can you hope to improve.
This

If people would learn this (definitely myself included), then town would have a much higher win rate. (Instead of just happy little accidents like this one (I call this an accident because town wins based on the results of one guy).
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:09 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 239, Plotinus wrote:
In post 238, Cephrir wrote:you're great and we love you

i do anyway
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:18 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 235, Antihero wrote:
In post 233, BROseidon wrote:Tbh it's mostly bad to think of "avoiding mislynches" as a useful skill because there's a certain percentage of mislynches you kind of need to eat for optimal play.
i don't really agree w/ that. but i do think it's bad to think of "avoiding mislynches" as a useful skill because unless you're doing something objectively awful (like faking guilties) or purposefully making an effort to be unlikable, it's largely out of your control.
You both have decent points here. I have seen some people avoid being mislynched to the detriment of the town. They either drag themselves along until they are a Lylo mislynch or distract the thread enough scum can hide easily. I have also gladly accepted that I must die at times in order to clean up the thread and concolidate people onto a proper path of victory. Sometimes the mislynch is the best thing that can happen to a game with no vig.

However, being mislynched is, a lot of the time, unavoidable. Whether a scum framing was done brilliantly, a guilty is faked or assumed, or you are v/la and nobody defends you, all of which I've seen, it is merely something that happens.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:50 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

In post 242, Aristophanes wrote:You both have decent points here. I have seen some people avoid being mislynched to the detriment of the town. They either drag themselves along until they are a Lylo mislynch or distract the thread enough scum can hide easily. I have also gladly accepted that I must die at times in order to clean up the thread and concolidate people onto a proper path of victory. Sometimes the mislynch is the best thing that can happen to a game with no vig.
This so much. While avoidance of a mislynch is an important skill in a Town player's toolkit there are times when it isn't necessarily good for the win chances for your faction.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:54 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

In post 228, BROseidon wrote:As much as MoI can say my ISO was "obviously scum," I can come up with arbitrary reasons as to why it was "obviously town," and I'd be "correct" in the sense that I was literally town this game.
From an outside observer who isn't you (and thus access to your role PM) the fact that you were much more interested in pushing Town over any of the scum players makes it a reasonable conclusion you were scum. A wrong conclusion but reasonable.

I wish Zulfy had pressed hard yesterday he was absolutely on the correct track with Firebringer and asking Grib about my final comments on him.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:00 am

Post by Gammagooey »

eh

I think that almost always both the lynchers and the lynchees (when its town on town) can work on their play and do better, unless one side or the other is being massively stubborn or there's very good setup reasons to lynch someone. (and even then adding in people's play to that equation can sometimes point pretty strongly towards the setup reason being not actually great) Sometimes you eat a lynch for being bad at the game for a few days but you'd be surprised at what you can pull out if you put enough effort into it.

If you're active enough and interacting with the lynchee/your lynchers and trying really hard to get at exactly why they think you're scum and giving all your thoughts on it, it can help a pretty ridiculous amount. Like, I've been lynched exactly twice as town here in 6 years of playing and both of those were for some variance of bullshit setup reasons (having my vig kill which I never even got to godamn use have the same flavor as the scum kill, and 3 people giving their vote to a player who got replaced and having the replacee decide that I was a good lynch with 4 hours left in the day while all the actual scum were being 'cleared' by people in neighborhoods with them because of literally retarded setup spec).
Granted, I only play in 1-2 games at a time and can tend to obsess over those a bit in important situations, but taking what other people are saying about you in good faith and just trying to hammer out everyone's thoughts is really really important.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:02 am

Post by Gammagooey »

do think that for vig kills it's reaaally going to be the vig themselves who should be shouldering all the room for improvement there though, if you've got a vig tunnelling on you as town you're probably not going to be able to do shit about it.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:39 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 244, MagnaofIllusion wrote:From an outside observer who isn't you (and thus access to your role PM) the fact that you were much more interested in pushing Town over any of the scum players makes it a reasonable conclusion you were scum. A wrong conclusion but reasonable.
Perhaps that's because

I don't know who the scum are

Because I'm not omniscient.

The only lynches I "pushed" through were DS and Ceph. That's really not that many.

Someone being wrong, therefore scum is a really, really bad model for scumhunting.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:40 am

Post by BROseidon »

Fuck that was 2 syllables off from accidental haiku.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:40 am

Post by BROseidon »

Remove the word because from that post and it's a haiku.

Return to “Completed Game Topics”