The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #19950 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 am

Post by Klazam »

ETL, what's your timetable on this?

I'd honestly caution against including thaumcraft yet if it's happening very soon. the version i checked out was a few beta versions prior to this, and its still incomplete. I'm personally envisioning it getting finished up within one or two months, though.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19951 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2018 7:35 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

In post 19950, Klazam wrote:ETL, what's your timetable on this?

I'd honestly caution against including thaumcraft yet if it's happening very soon. the version i checked out was a few beta versions prior to this, and its still incomplete. I'm personally envisioning it getting finished up within one or two months, though.
beta pack ready for testing by end of this weekend, and realistically at least 2 weeks of trying to break things. i'm interested in thaum but if it's not ready it's not ready, and we can always look at it later.
Art is cool.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19952 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2018 7:57 am

Post by davesaz »

Re: power systems -- modern converter says it's a replacement for power converters, which lets you unify EU/RF.
I don't object to things like Tech Reborn if it offers an alternative way with tradeoffs. Choices are good at keeping interest in a server.
Same thing goes for mods I personally don't have an interest in, like blood magic -- choices are good for other people. :)

Agree on leaving stuff out if it really isn't ready. As much as I push for stability and long-term playability, there is also a sweet spot beyond which interest dies off. I like hoppin' servers more than dead ones, so perhaps quarterly upgrade and reboot if it craters.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19953 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Post by Rhinox »

What mod can i use to build a kick ass maze?

<3 you guys wish I had time to play
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19954 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Post by davesaz »

If you want one to conquer perhaps rogue like dungeon?
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #19955 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Post by Klazam »

building it, not conquering
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #19956 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 19938, Maestro wrote:
  • Dimensional Doors
    --- Some of you may remember this one from awhile back. An incredibly atmospheric mod spanning 2 dimensions, predicated on the idea that doors can be portals. Out in the world, and (to some degree) craftable, are magic doors that take you into so-called Pocket Dimensions. The doors can nest inside eachother, and if you go too deep, a la the movie
    Inception
    , you can eventually get dropped (or taken!) into the sinister Limbo dimension. Very cool. Very functional. Dimensions: check! Worldgen/Exploration: check! etc.
  • Aether Legacy
    --- Again, a blast from the past. The Aether was originally conceived in the early days of modded MC as an opposite to the Nether, but still quite dangerous and difficult to explore! A sky dimension populated by birds of paradise and creatures of crystal and light, the Aether also (I believe) has a boss system not unlike Twilight Forest, and cool new building materials, food, etc.
  • Da Vinci's Vessels
    --- The successor to Archimedes' Ships, an amazing mod that lets you build your own moving ship out of blocks that (for the technically-minded) shift between blocks and entities, allowing you to actually pilot water-bound and air-worthy vehicles. You can even put chests and other tile entities on your ships and take them with you! Have a floating base, within reason...
    please don't break the server...
these fucking please.

I WANT AIRSHIPS BACK D:

I will literally build a base as an airship and fly my home around this bish.

M was talking about an arch ships based pack once and its like 99% of why i so desperately wanted a better computer AND I NEVER GOT TO SEE IT D:

i loved archimedes'
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19957 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Post by Maruchan »

literally I would play 24/7 for da vinci's ships
Show
Join Now!

Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19958 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2018 7:19 pm

Post by Oso »

I didn't see it mentioned but it may be considered standard now.

RFTools and RFControl would be good. I like RFDiimesnsions as well but they can OP so if left out that is not a huge deal. I think there are ways to get dim shards in the latest versions of RFTools that don't require dimensions.

As to the Tech Reborn, I'm for that. The current server we have I never did come off IC2 for ore processing so EU or RF ore processing I'm good with.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19959 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2018 7:48 pm

Post by davesaz »

Tbh I don’t mind op stuff as long as it doesn’t cause lag. We’ve managed to keep it in check.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #19960 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 1:05 am

Post by Maestro »

Yeah the RFTools suite should go in. IMO those are pretty standard.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19961 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 1:18 am

In post 19960, Maestro wrote:Yeah the RFTools suite should go in. IMO those are pretty standard.
Yep :]
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19962 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 1:29 am

In post 19953, Rhinox wrote:What mod can i use to build a kick ass maze?

<3 you guys wish I had time to play
My first thoughts would be chisel for decorative blocks, secret doors for... secret doors XD
Art is cool.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19963 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 1:32 am

Post by Maestro »

Yeah, SecretRooms is back nowadays. Could be awesome, Rhi.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19964 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 1:45 am

If Rhinox comes back and makes a maze at spawn, he can have creative mode to do it :D
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19965 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 3:03 am

In post 19945, Maestro wrote:Just read it at some point! And hopefully respond... for my sake.
On the subject of AE2 vs RS

I'm in agreement with you that AE2 is "interesting". I personally prefer Refined Storage as it is simple, does what I need it to, and doesn't make me rage like AE2 does. They are both fantastic and both have unique features that the other does not. If I had to choose one over the other, for SSP, I'd probably go RS, BUT, I'm fine with leaving out RS simply in favor of a less bloated pack. I do recognize that AE2 provides more utility on the whole than RS does, so that's ok with me.

"YES"'s from M's list of dim stuff:

TechReborn
- looks like a better IC2. I don't care for IC2. Some of the items are fun, but easily replaced by others from better mods, imo, but this is a good addition.

Hunting Dim
- this is a BIG yes from me, simply for the AS utility. We'll have to see how they work together, if they work together. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Simply Void
- Yes, why not. Seems easier to use than going the RFdims route and void worlds are generaly server-safe.

MAYBE's

Dimensional Doors
- I remember this being server-crashing and buggy. Very cool concept; would need massive testing on beta server to be included in final pack though.

Aether
- Always loved the idea, and never got to play with it properly. Would have to see how it fares on server as far as lag/tps.

Betweenlands
- sounds interesting, I like that it's "opt-in" as a dimension you have to visit to participate. Curious about how well the server will handle it though.

NetherEx
- Ok this looks pretty neat. Would like to see how "cluttered" it makes the Nether. Of course BoP nether biomes will be disabled for the most part (I think we onlylike the "bone" one, anyway, right?)
NetherEx Wiki wrote:Three new armor sets, a brand new set of weapons, and four new food items allow for pure Nether survival. Three new potions introduced in NetherEx gives you a lot more options for various approaches to fights. An all new boss is introduced for you to summon and vanquish. Sixteen new structures can be found and explored, these new structures include nine mini dungeons with more on the way. A new gem can be found that allows you to trade with the Pigtificates, which can be found in their villages hidden inside the Nether, guarded over by their faithful golems and ruled by a greedy chief.
NO's

Creeping Nether
.... I'm personally not interested in having to disable my portal every time. What if I'm coming back from someone else's? NetherTaint isn't appealing to me. If others are super into this, I'll consider it, I suppose, but in terms of space for other mods, this is very, very, very low on the list.

Others

EnderIO - yes
Mekanism - maybe (it's one of my faves, but super OP, so we'll see)
OpenBlocks - YES
Weather Overhaul - ehhhh.... I'm gonna say no on this one. First, rain and t-storms? We don't need more of those. I toggle them off immediately anyway. Second, server load.
Zombie awareness - maybe. could be interesting. if there's room, we can consider.
Da Vinci - BIG YES.
Embers/Roots - Maybe. I still haven't gotten into either of these, so it's a positive maybe.
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19966 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 3:07 am

Speaking of Dims, Lost Cities is probably not gonna be included, in favor of something like TF instead. TF provides more "purpose" and if we're gonna have people genning chunks in other dims, I'd prefer it to be TF over Lost Cities, which loses it's novelty fairly quickly, in my opinion. If you have a serious disagreement with this idea, let me know what you think and what I'm missing.
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19967 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 3:44 am

Also... the thing I really love about RS that isn't a thing in AE2 is the remote access function. It's expensive enough that it's not "OP" -you have to go to the end and collect ender rods to make it and even then the power requirements are huge, but immensely useful for my lazy ass in the mid to late game.

nvm. Just found what I need to add to AE2 to make this a reality. :mrgreen:
Art is cool.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19968 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 4:14 am

Post by Maruchan »

Yay da vinci
Show
Join Now!

Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19969 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 4:23 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 19965, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:both have unique features that the other does not
I disagree with this in the AE2 vs. RS debate, so just for the sake of discussion I'm curious what comes to mind when you make this point. Wireless Crafting Terminal is definitely another solid add-on for AE2, and if that's the only issue than yeah. Definitely go that route, IMO.

RESPONSES TO "YES"s

TechReborn
- The aesthetic kinda matches Industrial Foregoing too, which I really like. Also, RE: discussion of Energy types - TechReborn and many other new and popular tech mods are switching to the new Forge Energy (FE) standard. It automatically converts 1:1 to RF, so there's no need for any power converter of any kind, and you could even forego TechReborn generators altogether, I imagine, but of course that will affect balance as expected in any modpack.

Hunting Dim
- The only reason I could think that it wouldn't play nice with AS is if AS only works in certain dimensions (e.g. the Overworld). I imagine if that were the case, AS would include a dimension whitelist/blacklist to allow for tweaking.

Simple Void World
- This has been in packs for awhile now, with most people not even realizing it, so I'm excited. I do think that if any of the other dimension mods on the "maybe" list become "yes", than maybe this + those can allow for the nixing of the RFTools Dimensions module? That's something to consider.

RESPONSES TO "MAYBE"s

Dimensional Doors
- Of course test it. But I can tell you the main issue we ran into over our time with this mod in the past is that the "Rifts" that the doors are placed on can be configured to turn hostile and start sucking in blocks and entities. Obviously no bueno. But again, that's configurable and player behavior in-game also makes that problem a non-issue. (Don't break doors! Simple as that. lol) The pocket dimensions themselves wouldn't cause any lag, since they're such tiny areas inside a mainly-void dimension.

Aether
- This is another dimension that's primarily void, since the whole thing is made up of islands. I imagine generation lag would be minimal to unnoticeable. It's not going to be the Aether II that most people know; this is mostly a callback to what the mod was like when it was simple and exploration-based, or at least that was my impression.

Betweenlands
- This is only thing I'd be concerned about sucking up digital capital, but as always we can test fairly easily. I'm interested in how the dimension interacts with tools/food in portable containers (e.g. Bag of Holding, Satchels, Backpacks, etc.), and/or if anything circumvents the decay. If some things that're commonplace in modded can, this dimension will be significantly more accessible. Otherwise, it's basically a hardcore dimension so I'd be willing to let it go if testing indicates it doesn't suit us.

NetherEX
- Didn't look to me like it would add a ton of clutter, but yeah my vote is ALWAYS to disable all BoP & Natura Nether biomes, except maybe Corrupted Sands. The Bone things are from Natura, IIRC, and I believe they're just generated structures, not a full biome. But I could be wrong.

Mekanism
- I'd disagree that it's comparatively OP! (Unless you're talking about the Obsidian Tools/Armor.) The amount of time and logistics it takes to actually get to 4x Ore processing are... almost not worth it for most peoples' usage. And by the time you get automation going for it, you could probably power (for example) the Digital Miner 24/7 and just get more base Ore, instead of maxing out your efficiency.

Zombie Awareness
- Consider that this mod is one of several that doesn't actually add any block or item or generation into the game. It's purely an AI upgrade, and as such would cause negligible impact on-server, if any. (Totally understand nixing
Weather Overhaul
, btw. I really like it, tho.) :P

Embers / Roots
- I'd push hard for both unless there's major pushback. Just to put this opinion out there preemptively, I don't think "vast majority of playerlist has not bothered to try" is a justification for not including something. We have so few magic mods as it is nowadays!

Speaking of which, another I just thought of making a case for (it's under my spoiler from the last long post) is Pokefenn's
Totemic
, a Native-American-inspired magic mod, that seems both respectful, intuitive, and fun. And again:
SO FEW GOOD MAGIC MODS

Finally, if it's TF or Lost Cities, I'd choose TF every time. And it does lose its novelty quite quickly, but I personally love it as an easy source of spawners. TF serves that purpose fairly well too, I guess, as will some of these other dimensions, I'm sure. If we're talking trade-offs and compromises for server health, this one is a good idea. I'm not sure I know anybody who truly loves Lost Cities anyway - it has more appeal to me as a custom world type for an adventure/hardcore map than it does as an extra "opt-in" dimension.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19970 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 4:52 am

In post 19969, Maestro wrote:I don't think "vast majority of playerlist has not bothered to try" is a justification for not including something.
I meant it as a justification TO add it :]
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19971 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 5:02 am

In post 19969, Maestro wrote:Mekanism - I'd disagree that it's comparatively OP! (Unless you're talking about the Obsidian Tools/Armor.) The amount of time and logistics it takes to actually get to 4x Ore processing are... almost not worth it for most peoples' usage. And by the time you get automation going for it, you could probably power (for example) the Digital Miner 24/7 and just get more base Ore, instead of maxing out your efficiency.
Maybe it's just me, but I can usually rush a digiminer before I have a full set of EIO or TE stuff. Powering it is not that bad even if you have a slow trickle from something like an IE windmill. With the dimensional energy blocks from RF tools (I think), you can "set it and forget it". It's a generous boost into the late game, foregoing much of the mid-game machine and automation stuff, especially when you're talking about using it to find draconic ore in the nether. That's my only concern, because I've personally done that :lol:
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19972 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 5:13 am

Is nether portal fix still a necessary thing?
Art is cool.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19973 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2018 5:16 am

Post by Maestro »