The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20075 (ISO) » Mon May 28, 2018 10:03 am

Post by davesaz »

Beta 2 mods directory zip https://drive.google.com/open?id=196AE4 ... NK6mXgZeWy
This may have client mods you're not expecting and be missing ones you expect, please adjust accordingly.

Mods folder has been uploaded to server but needs to have client mods removed etc before it will be ready.
Recommend you make a backup of your instance or otherwise take precautions in case you get ahead of things. :)
I'm posting in IRC on progress...

Edit: server updated, you may fire at will

Edit2: correction, fence jumper was not added. Will need to pick it up next update. :oops:
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20076 (ISO) » Mon May 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Post by davesaz »

Looks like one of the mods pulled in a bibliocraft update (or the 1st beta server had an old one).
Bibliocraft 2.4.3 is needed.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #20077 (ISO) » Mon May 28, 2018 4:40 pm

Post by Maruchan »

https://imgur.com/a/2XVLa5U

the first pirate battle on server
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20078 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2018 4:32 pm

Post by Maruchan »

<SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> also i suggest we lower the block limit on airships from 40 to like 10 or 20 percent
23:27 <SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> 40 percent makes aesthetic builds nearly unusable
23:27 <Oso> Let Arch know. I know nothing about DaVinci ships
23:27 <SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> like for a pirate ship if i were to cut down the masts, and remove ever log that isnt externally visible
23:28 <SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> then gut the interior
23:28 <SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> then fill the remainign space with baloons
23:28 <SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> i *MIGHT* hit 40%
23:29 <Oso> Ah, so you are saying the block % limit is too high then? As in it takes too many balloons to get it airborne/
23:29 <SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> ye
23:29 <Oso> Got it.
23:29 <SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> if you want an aesthetically pleasing exterior you guarantee no use of the itnerior
23:29 <SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> it will require full baloon fill to hit your 40%
23:30 <SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> unless you made a zepelin style where you hung from a baloon
23:30 <SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> which wouldnt be too bad
23:30 <Oso> That would suck. Make a mobile base that can store and process almost impossible.
23:30 <SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> mhm
23:31 <SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> even with removign every non-visible plank, and removign the two masts and sails, and filling the lower deck with baloons to the point I only had a 2-high walkway throughout the ship
23:31 <SP8Beta> <m​rcheesete0> i was only at 21%
23:32 <Oso> Yeah, I'll mention that to Arch when we talk next. You might want to go ahead and make a post about it so there is a chance ETL might see it as well.
Show
Join Now!

davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20079 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2018 7:16 pm

Post by davesaz »

Set to 5%, will take effect next restart.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20080 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2018 11:21 pm

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

noooo. archimedes was also 40%. its supposed to be 40%.
Art is cool.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20081 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2018 11:54 pm

Post by Maruchan »

Yes by default it is 40%. I explained why I think 40 is too high. 5 is lower than I expected (but not complaining) but 40 is too high. Read my post above and provide response to my point if you dont think it's a good one?
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20082 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 12:03 am

Post by Maruchan »

Image if you remove every single plank/bed/chest/torch/button/door/banner/block not externally visible (and beds/chests/torches/banners that are externally visible) on this structure then replace the sails with balloons you get roughly 5 percent. If you then remove the sails entirely and fill 1/2 (two out of four Y levels) of the hollow interior entirely with balloons, you get 21 percent. It would take making this structure completely solid blooms wrapped in planks to make it fly. Which then defeated the purpose of making it fly if you wish to use it as any kind of mobile base, as you dont have many spare percentage to play with, and absolutely no space to use at all.
Show
Join Now!

Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #20083 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 1:09 am

Post by Maestro »

Yes, and 5% (or roughly that amount of sail) is plenty to SAIL on. But have you seen a blimp, the closest RL-equivalent to one of these flying vessels you want to make? The balloon is at least the size of the living space, usually several magnitudes larger, so 40% (or a rough ratio of 1:1.5, balloon:block) is generous.

Flying is an arduous process, and it shouldn’t just require slapping a couple balloons on your design; it should be a major factor of design. I like ETL’s decision.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20084 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 1:17 am

Post by Maestro »

Like, what you fail to realize is that you can still make the famous mini-ship (1 plank or whatever, 1 ship helm, 2 balloon = flight) and that’s absolutely broken compared to more challenging methods like the Angel Rimg, etc. not to mention god-tier for exploring since you can carry chests if you expand the ship. I just don’t see any reason to make that all easier than it already is.
Impossibear
Impossibear
Mafia Scum
Impossibear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20085 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 2:19 am

Post by Impossibear »

Yes, it is INTENDED to be that way for a reason. Flight for the cost of a few mundane blocks is too easy.
Jangle and ESL!

The ETL half of this hydra is V/LA on weekends.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20086 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 4:25 am

Post by davesaz »

My opinion, it's an aesthetic mod not a flight one. You can't realistically fly the thing across the nether, and traveling to another player's base that takes a couple MC days is not reasonable either.
Maru's flying pirate ship can't be done at 40% and still look like a pirate ship.

The cost doesn't enter into the equation for me. It isn't a question of easy or hard, it's a question of what it looks like. Is it wrong to take looks into account in a pack dominated by endgame functionality?
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20087 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 4:32 am

Post by Maestro »

But it’s not aesthetic. It offers flight. If it weren’t for flight, Maru wouldn’t have this issue. So the issue is directly associated with how easy it is to fly, and to that I say “it shouldn’t be that easy”
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20088 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 4:34 am

Post by davesaz »

The flight it offers is
moving your base to a different place
, not running from blazes and ghasts!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20089 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 4:35 am

Post by Maestro »

Also, sorry but yes it can be done at 40%. Forget “replacing blocks”, because of COURSE that will look silly.

Make the sails bigger, and yes, I know that means A LOT bigger, but that’s close to what it would take to get a ship to fly IRL. Aesthetically, it would look silly for a ship that merely floats to have the same size sails as a ship that can actually fly, so even if you’re just going by aesthetics, you need bigger sail ratios.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20090 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 4:39 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 20088, davesaz wrote:The flight it offers is
moving your base to a different place
, not running from blazes and ghasts!
Ok? It still shouldn’t be too easy to get. We can argue this opinion all you want, but for exploration, nothing beats any kind of flight. Falling and other parts of the game associated with not having flight just go poof when all that stuff is easy. The End ceases to be a mysterious world and turns into a yawn-fest, long distances between settlements go from interesting projects involving canals and horses to trivialities (which already happens with teleportation, but that’s a whole separate issue) etc.
Impossibear
Impossibear
Mafia Scum
Impossibear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20091 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 6:00 am

Post by Impossibear »

It has always been 40% - it's meant to be that way. It's absolutely possible to make a realistic "pirate" ship with these ratios. This isn't really a config that I've ever considered changing because it works and is balanced in my opinion. Making certain things "easier for aesthetics" is something to consider more for SSP, and not really for a mod like this on a multiplayer server.

And really, to gain flight IRL you would be talking about at least a 60% ratio depending on what you're hauling. I think the 40% is generous and fair in this regard, especially when you're talking about moving all your containers full of everything you own in one trip, instead of ??? however many it would take on foot or even by teleportation.
Jangle and ESL!

davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20092 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 6:10 am

Post by davesaz »

OK fine, but I'm not responsible for any negative reactions there might be to putting it back.
Impossibear
Impossibear
Mafia Scum
Impossibear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20093 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 6:13 am

Post by Impossibear »

Maru can yell at me :]
Jangle and ESL!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20094 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 6:35 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 20084, Maestro wrote:Like, what you fail to realize is that you can still make the famous mini-ship (1 plank or whatever, 1 ship helm, 2 balloon = flight) and that’s absolutely broken compared to more challenging methods like the Angel Rimg, etc. not to mention god-tier for exploring since you can carry chests if you expand the ship. I just don’t see any reason to make that all easier than it already is.
Exactly. And I can make that if your limit is 1 percent or 90 percent with the same level of breaking the game level of easy. Limiting the balloon percentage doesn't make tech harder just negtmatviely impacts creativity. Why should I make an aesthetic build with no useable space when I can make an ugly build with a bunch of spsce?
In post 20083, Maestro wrote:Yes, and 5% (or roughly that amount of sail) is plenty to SAIL on. But have you seen a blimp, the closest RL-equivalent to one of these flying vessels you want to make? The balloon is at least the size of the living space, usually several magnitudes larger, so 40% (or a rough ratio of 1:1.5, balloon:block) is generous.

Flying is an arduous process, and it shouldn’t just require slapping a couple balloons on your design; it should be a major factor of design. I like ETL’s decision.
See where I said I think 5 percent was low. I was advocating 20 percent the recipe for balloons is so trivial that once you have the industry in place to make enough for 10 or 20 percent of a decent sized visually appealing structure to fly 40 percent is not difficult either. So the entrance-level difficulty to make a flying structure is not worse with 40 percent requirement. You're not adding levels of difficulty to obtain the tech. What you are doing is adding levels of difficulty to design an appealing/useful structure. I understand even 40 percent is unrealistic to real life examples, but minecraft is freaking unrealistic to real life examples. Lmfao. I refuse to attempt to punch any trees to test but I bet it wouldn't drop wood irl.

The goal isnt to add design roadblocks, that Hanover creativity. That just alienates creativity on favor of stark bland usefullness. I personally have no problem with a 15X15X4deep platform of balloons with. Fence around the edge to make sure I dont fall off and my basebuilt on top. But so you want me to park that anywhere near your place?

If adding balloon percentage equates to adding technological difficulty in building your tech web high enough to produce them I totally agree. Adding tech difficulty is fun and intuitive if you have under or overpowered mods. Like binnies by default she needs th fuck outta nilla food. If that's the goal ok. It adds several layers of tech tree between the original formula and the revised one for difficulty. But once you've built the framework of making binnies bread, it you dont have to build it again for 2 stacks of bread vice 1. You already have the tech.

Tl;dr: add levels off difficulty in mods to expound tech tree=good. Add levels of difficulty to a make aesthetically pleasing builds=bad
In post 20086, davesaz wrote:My opinion, it's an aesthetic mod not a flight one. You can't realistically fly the thing across the nether, and traveling to another player's base that takes a couple MC days is not reasonable either.
Maru's flying pirate ship can't be done at 40% and still look like a pirate ship.

The cost doesn't enter into the equation for me. It isn't a question of easy or hard, it's a question of what it looks like. Is it wrong to take looks into account in a pack dominated by endgame functionality?
+1
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20095 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 6:36 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 20087, Maestro wrote:But it’s not aesthetic. It offers flight. If it weren’t for flight, Maru wouldn’t have this issue. So the issue is directly associated with how easy it is to fly, and to that I say “it shouldn’t be that easy”
It is aesthetic. When I realized I only had twenty percent balloons I abandoned the pirate ship made a 5x5 platform with a sale out of straight baloons dropped a helm a bed and a chest and said fuck aesthetics I'm flying bitch
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20096 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 6:39 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 20091, Impossibear wrote:It has always been 40% - it's meant to be that way. It's absolutely possible to make a realistic "pirate" ship with these ratios. This isn't really a config that I've ever considered changing because it works and is balanced in my opinion. Making certain things "easier for aesthetics" is something to consider more for SSP, and not really for a mod like this on a multiplayer server.

And really, to gain flight IRL you would be talking about at least a 60% ratio depending on what you're hauling. I think the 40% is generous and fair in this regard, especially when you're talking about moving all your containers full of everything you own in one trip, instead of ??? however many it would take on foot or even by teleportation.
Were not trying to be like real life. Lol. Nuclear reactors? They're a joke in this game. And if you fail to make it right it turns into a bomb? Not a radioactive pile of molten metal? Not realistic. Nerf it.

If flying within two days of server start with da vinci regardless of this percentage. The question is do I kill 50 sheep and make. Pretty flying fortress or kill 5 sheep and be basic as fuck and fly a flat balloon floor with a bed and a chest?
Show
Join Now!

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #20097 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 6:45 am

Post by Klazam »

If youre so concerned with ease of obtaining flight, drop it to 5% and make the balloon blocks expensive. call them antigravity generators or whatever.

Wen we ran high seas, M, we dropped airship blocks to like 15% or something, and did that negatively impact our enjoyment? no, we had fun with our flying ships.

I think this's a question of enjoyment vs realism
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20098 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 6:46 am

In post 20096, Maruchan wrote:If flying within two days of server start with da vinci regardless of this percentage. The question is do I kill 50 sheep and make. Pretty flying fortress or kill 5 sheep and be basic as fuck and fly a flat balloon floor with a bed and a chest?
That's entirely up to you. Build up your resources a bit more and then you can make a bad ass pirate ship with a giant balloon holding it up.

We can help
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20099 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2018 6:47 am

In post 20097, Klazam wrote:I think this's a question of enjoyment vs realism
If it's really an issue, I'd consider dropping it to 30% but no lower really.
Art is cool.

Return to “The Arcade”