2021 Fantasy Football(PJ Edition)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:28 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

/sure
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #7 (isolation #1) » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:50 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

$100 is standard but it really doesn't matter since everyone is playing with the same amount of house money; default in the event of a tie (which happens fairly frequently, because inevitably there are going to be lots of players you just bet $0 on) is waivers the same way they are implemented in the standard league.

PJ do you not believe that FAAB randomly rewards people who don't use the waiver wire? Because it does, by leaving them with more money to use on later acquisitions. The only benefit to FAAB is that it makes "do I pick up this player and lose my waiver priority?" not a binary decision.

Waiver priority by inverse of standings is absolutely dreadful because it allows players at the bottom to take any relevant waiver wire acquisition. And it also legitimately creates a breaking strategy of tanking Week 1 and putting every player on your bench to get zero points and have the ability to pick up every single Week 1 breakout.

(profile pic by datisi)
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #10 (isolation #2) » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:31 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In post 9, PJ. wrote:
In post 7, D3f3nd3r wrote:PJ do you not believe that FAAB randomly rewards people who don't use the waiver wire? Because it does, by leaving them with more money to use on later acquisitions. The only benefit to FAAB is that it makes "do I pick up this player and lose my waiver priority?" not a binary decision.
Not using is a choice, even if the choice is "i forgot". And if you haven't been using your money prior to get acquisitions, then using it later is the intended outcome. Like...that's a feature not a bug.
I agree with you, I’m just trying to say that you could say the exact same thing about the waiver system in the main league. Just swap out the word money for “waiver priority”.

My biggest issue with that system is that it’s initially assigned by the inverse of the draft order, which is a bit problematic when you consider that there’s no “obviously best” draft position but there is an “obviously best” waiver position.

(profile pic by datisi)
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #12 (isolation #3) » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:28 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In that scenario, people are incentivized to just not use the waiver wire for a week, which would put them right back at the top of the order (or, well, at #4) for the next week. Also I can't remember a time last year in Scumleague where there were enough players that got picked up on waivers in a week for the order to cycle all the way around - looking at the league, there were a total of 50 times two or more of us tried to acquire the same player and waivers had to come into play (an average of just over three per week), but there was one week where ten players got picked up on waivers, and even then all of those pickups were made by seven teams since three teams used their waiver priority twice.

Spoiler: Waiver wire pickups in Scumleague L1 on September 23 last year

Also, to the best of my knowledge, with FAAB in place you do still end up with the issue where waking up as soon as FAAB things resolve is useful in terms of being able to pick up players that you didn't want to put money (or $0 waiver claims) on. Though I believe there's a way around this by just having all roster pickups use the waiver system, not just those made on day one after a week finishes up, which might be worth implementing here if you weren't already planning on it.

(profile pic by datisi)
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #14 (isolation #4) » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:24 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In post 13, PJ. wrote:The issue w/ the always waiver is that it takes a day to process so day of pick ups are not allowed, which is uh..not great
Yeah that's also very true, you're kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't unfortunately since it's either no minute-of pickups or "oh boy 4am!" pickups for anyone with a sleep schedule like yours :P

(profile pic by datisi)
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #19 (isolation #5) » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:27 pm