Considering Self-Ban and Self-Ban Discussion

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #10 (isolation #0) » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:41 am

Post by Isis »

Self-bans are unappealable for a minimum of one year.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #15 (isolation #1) » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:55 pm

Post by Isis »

A long long time ago we've had users request self bans then request their self ban be lifted. That defeats the purpose and is an inappropriate tax on mod resources. Moderators usually do things users can't do for themselves. Every user can refrain from using the forums or any section of it themselves.

There is a super clear hard minimum now.
There has to be a hard minimum. Self bans that are lifted when the user wants them lifted are the same as an individual resolution, except with moderator's tedium added.

The most we could do is change the minimum. I think the thinking is that six months would result in lots of users using that length back to back or almost back to back so neither the site mods or users gain much. But maybe that's poor guess on demand.

I can't remember why it's sitewide only, I could come up with reasons to argue that policy with little effort but I don't remember which one was most applicable or one I didn't contemplate. I guess I can say that as a mafia listmod I'm not instinctively excited about a player getting self banned from the discussion forums and then playing mafia. I would worry they player would view their opponents as less human and have a detached adversarial experience playing with the community.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #17 (isolation #2) » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:20 am

Post by Isis »

I feel like I have to categorically oppose something that weakens your account security (it is easier for someone to successfully impersonate you over a break than it is for someone to crack a strong four thousand years of guesses password on your email or account)
The comparative administrative efforts between those two becomes irrelevant
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #26 (isolation #3) » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:29 pm

Post by Isis »

In post 22, Something_Smart wrote:I thought zakk impersonated another user with their permission.

Regardless, with the advent of discord, it seems unlikely that locking yourself out of your account and then asking for a reset is going to be dangerous.
Anyone can make a discord account with your name and avatar and dm me that the reason S_S hasn't posted in a year is because of an email password scramble and an ms.net password scramble. If someone does that, I feel like I would likely email the email on file with "hey someone is saying they're you, if they are not please holler."
If you never cut off your own access to your own recovery email, you can respond to an email like that. My Spotify premium account was stolen for about 18 hours and I responded to exactly such an email a couple weeks ago, and the account was handed back to me.

If you say I'm supposed to write down your discord ID or do xyz other thing so it's more secure I do want to fall back on the whole, why are we hassling the mods for an unecessary selfcontrol device.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #41 (isolation #4) » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:26 am

Post by Isis »

I don't mind the workload from pressing a button and someone getting self banned. I imagine many of them getting appealed before they're up, since their goal is to conflict with the user's own will.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #43 (isolation #5) » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:05 am

Post by Isis »

We are discussing the pros and cons of different minimums internally and are at least giving consideration to a change.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #44 (isolation #6) » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:07 am

Post by Isis »

Man how do I phrase that without committing to anything without sounding skeptical.
"Well, I..."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”