Song Contest 201 (Results posted)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
BS2000
BS2000
Goon
BS2000
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (isolation #0) » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:34 pm

Post by BS2000 »

submitting a fairly new song that gives me warm fuzzies
i was going to learn the keyboard and write several ballads
But i went to a barbeque and got lost by the tater salad
BS2000
BS2000
Goon
BS2000
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (isolation #1) » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:09 pm

Post by BS2000 »

Spoiler: how I ranked em

1st: Bob Dylan: Ay it's Bobby D. I've never really gotten into this guy, but I've also not given him a chance in a long time. I think I still have a Bob Dylan Unplugged CD buried somewhere in a box. This is actually pretty enjoyable and doesn't make me think of insufferable Boomer Hippies. So that's good. Big ups for no chorus in sight in this song.

2nd: Allan Holdsworth: Pic and song title made me think this was gonna be some sort of parody. But no this is actually really cool! I usually hate guitars that have this sort of tone, but that main riff he's playing is so bizarre I really like it. There's enough of a prog rock vibe here to scratch an itch for me without going overboard. Plus now we got some goofy bass shredding underneath. Very good. I already voted as I type this but I maybe shouldve put this ahead of Bobby D. Oh well.

3rd: Diablo Swing: Violin intro but I'm just waiting for the intensity to hit. Oh wasn't expecting this. Gwen Stefani? Those horns plus that style of singing sounded very no doubt. What do you call that like a higher register trill tremolo thing? I dunno music theory. She's got a great voice and the music is like part metal part latin ska or something. Maybe I'm projecting the latin vibes but it sounds like it to me. This is actually kinda cool despite being all over the place.

4th: buck-tick: I like the mix of acoustic guitars and feedbacky lead guitar happening here a lot. Liking those middle eastern guitar flourishes. Overall I'm enjoying this

5th: Khai Dreams: Nice start. Singing is ok. Very poppy but I do really like the verse/chorus/verse flow. And also big ups for not forcing a bridge or a 3rd verse or anything. Just ends when it needs to. Surprisingly enjoyed this

6th: Holly Humberstone: Sounds very contemporary. That's the best way I can describe this. Sounds good but doesn't stick out.

7th: Foals: Band I may have heard a bit of but not much. I like the tense buildups in this song the most and kinda wish there was more of that. Then the release. the riff comes in and it honestly makes me think of Audioslave lol. Not necessarily a bad thing. I appreciate the long intro and outro too. This is decent radio rockish stuff.

8th: October Project: It's hard not to be influenced by this wonderfully 90s music video. The song itself is very early 90s adult alternative. I kinda vibe with this honestly. I love the music when it goes back to the verses and it's very meloncholy.

9th: Parius: First of all man what a cover. But right away I'm also enjoying this vibe. Well kinda. The one thing that's underwhelming here is the guys voice. It's giving like Five Finger Death Punch or something akin. Oooh now were getting a spacy quiet part. Kinda wish it went further in that direction. Song resolves itself kinda unusually

10th: Springwatch: Oh this song is only a minute? What is springwatch? A bbc show? A podcast? Hmmm. I mean this is lovely can't complain.

11th: Maylene: AAAAAHHH. Yeah not usually into this stuff, but I kinda like the slightly southern twang the guitars have. Or I dunno if that's the right way to describe them, the strings are just being bent. But they sound like they are tuned standard interestingly. And the guitar solo is more classic rock than you would expect. Not terrible.

12th: Miranda!: Whoa 40 mil views. The Spanish might be the only fun part of this for me. Oh man this chorus is goofy sounding. I dunno not much to say about this one

13th: INCHIUVATU: Ooh this is interesting right away. Oh now starts the growling. Man if these lyrics were being sung a different way I could love this.

14th: The Callous Daoboys: I literally started laughing as this started. I mean I appreciate the mathy stuff, but it never locks into a groove. So it just kinda feels tacky. Anyway not into the guitars, the singing, the screaming, etc. Oh there's some saxophone or something happening during this softer part that's cool. "Bombarded with angel numbers" is pretty great. But otherwise this aint for me.

i was going to learn the keyboard and write several ballads
But i went to a barbeque and got lost by the tater salad

Return to “General Discussion”