Music Exercise Research

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Music Exercise Research

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:10 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

What is the ultimate music for exercising?

A question asked since the dawn of time.

Yes, finally, someone is ready to tackle this question, and as you may have guessed, that someone is me: Cheetory6. Noted enthusiast of scientific discovery, occasional listening to of music and infrequent exercise of body.

Every day I will use a fair and balanced randomized selection process to choose an album from my spotify library.

I will then exercise to it on my scientific
Standing Bike©
and then determine the song's
Intrinsic Exercise Value
or
IEV

The results will be plotted.

There may or may not be some additional notes mentioning other potentially pertinent but tangential findings.

Eventually we will determine some kind of valuable results which will be published in various scientific journals.

For now though, we have to start getting to work.
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:18 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

Duration
:
47 minutes 40 seconds

Hypothesis
:
First half will be good. Second half will be less good.

ODOm
starting value
:

ODOm
ending value
:

Mood Indicator
:
:triumph:

IEV
:

Rationale
:
This is the first time I've biked to an album that I'm generally pretty familiar with. As expected, the first half was filled with "bangers" which really juiced the value of the IEV, but the slower and longer second half wasn't as conducive to motivated exercise. By the end hitting another 7 minute slow burner was quite a blow to my will to continue. Her singing is a high point. The layered guitars work well sometimes but I wish the technical skill matched the overall intensity of the songs.

Discussion
:
Unclear what she's saying on Sister, is it "All my life is gonna change"? or "All my life is on a chain"? Further research has resolved the matter:
"All my life I thought I'd change" yeah that makes sense.
Last edited by Cheetory6 on Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog
Pronoun: she

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:46 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

Maybe mildly incomprehensible lyrics are a good distraction
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:59 am

Post by Ythan »

Uptempo
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:47 am

Post by hellbooks »

is the IEV a scale, like do we yet know what the maximum IEV is or is that something we'll just have to wait and see about
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:54 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4, hellbooks wrote: is the IEV a scale, like do we yet know what the maximum IEV is or is that something we'll just have to wait and see about
gosh I hope its the latter.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:37 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

Duration
:
41 minutes 39 seconds

Hypothesis
:
The two songs I know off of this album are
Tricycle and Hi.
The former is a good song but unlikely to be high on IEV.
The latter is fairly frenetic.
Unsure how the album will lean overall, but I'm guessing it'll be in the 5-7 range.

ODOm
starting value
:

ODOm
ending value
:

Mood Indicator
:
:sleepy:

IEV
:

Rationale
:
The percussion did a lot to keep me moving. The songs were overall much more energetic than I thought they would be. Even tricycle was fun to bike to. I didn't really reach full exercise zone mode on any one song in particular, but I did get into a bit of a groove in the second half.

Discussion
:
Upstairs freaked me out holy moly I thought someone started jumping around upstairs right above me.
It's hard not to compare this album against the last one. Should I be analyzing it for its own merits? Is it even possible to without comparing it against some kind of meaningful sample size? It's all rather unclear whether the IEV will be a useful measurement value by the end of all of this.
You may have noticed, but I have also added some new measurements which I have added in retrospect for the previous entry. Hopefully this hasn't compromised the entire experiment.
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:41 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

Peer Review Discussion Entry 1
:
In post 2, DeathRowKitty wrote: Maybe mildly incomprehensible lyrics are a good distraction
This is an interesting point. When we have more of a meaningful sample size, we should definitely come back to this.

Peer Review Discussion Entry 2
:
In post 4, hellbooks wrote: is the IEV a scale, like do we yet know what the maximum IEV is or is that something we'll just have to wait and see about
We're still doing some research into exactly how IEV is generated. Early results seem to indicate that the average IEV might increase overall over time? Again, it may be too early to make any kind of conclusions though.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:04 am

Post by schadd_ »

its metalcore honestly
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:45 am

Post by Doctor Drew »

My two completely different go to's are underground European techno, really atmospheric and and almost dark and eerie sounding. Coupled with the the repetitive 4 on the Floor beat really keeps me in an almost trance like state that makes the workout fly by.

The other is Brutal Slamming Death Metal. Lyrics that you can barely tell are lyrics(which is good because the subject matter if the songs can get a little out there), and a back an forth between blast beats and hyper riffing with super slowed down beat down like slamming riffs. Definitely knuckle dragger music but damn sure gets you pumped.
'dREW DID IT BETTER' - T-Bone
'actually ya drew is useless' - Snivy
'I love playing with him, he's got an amazing presence to him that just feels like the game is lacking something when he's not there' - JacksonVirgo
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:18 am

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

In post 9, Doctor Drew wrote: My two completely different go to's are underground European techno, really atmospheric and and almost dark and eerie sounding. Coupled with the the repetitive 4 on the Floor beat really keeps me in an almost trance like state that makes the workout fly by.

The other is Brutal Slamming Death Metal. Lyrics that you can barely tell are lyrics(which is good because the subject matter if the songs can get a little out there), and a back an forth between blast beats and hyper riffing with super slowed down beat down like slamming riffs. Definitely knuckle dragger music but damn sure gets you pumped.
Oh thank goodness someone else likes caveman slam. You should check out Snuffed On Sight. It's goofy even by the standards of its kind.

My contribution to the topic: have you considered nu metal? No, seriously. Pull up Coal Chamber's Dark Days. Rowboat is a probable skip, but otherwise...
199-member plural system. We kinda exploded. We'll sign if we switch, but it's a host-centric setup round here now.

It/its pronouns only.
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:55 am

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 10, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:
In post 9, Doctor Drew wrote: My two completely different go to's are underground European techno, really atmospheric and and almost dark and eerie sounding. Coupled with the the repetitive 4 on the Floor beat really keeps me in an almost trance like state that makes the workout fly by.

Oh thank goodness someone else likes caveman slam. You should check out Snuffed On Sight. It's goofy even by the standards of its kind.

My contribution to the topic: have you considered nu metal? No, seriously. Pull up Coal Chamber's Dark Days. Rowboat is a probable skip, but otherwise...
I actually just discovered Snuffed On Sight, reminds me of No Face No Case, I definitely have a soft spot for goofy slam/beat down. If you want something similar but a little more serious in tone, yet still will make you want to run through a wall, check out Paleface.

I used to love Coal Chamber way back in the day, not sure if I could take them serio6now though, but maybe I will try.
'dREW DID IT BETTER' - T-Bone
'actually ya drew is useless' - Snivy
'I love playing with him, he's got an amazing presence to him that just feels like the game is lacking something when he's not there' - JacksonVirgo
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:54 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

May I suggest Bomb the music industry: vacation.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner

Return to “General Discussion”