'Devil's Plan' on Netflix

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
SIR CYANIDE
SIR CYANIDE
Goon
SIR CYANIDE
Goon
Goon

'Devil's Plan' on Netflix

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:31 am

Post by SIR CYANIDE »

This post does not contain any spoilers, aside from information about the set-up of the Mafia game (which is known information to everyone as it is explained when the game is introduced). This post does not contain spoilers about how the game went or the rest of the show.

I was wondering if anyone checked out the first episode of the show 'Devil's Plan' on Netflix? The first game is a Mafia-esque game. The rules are quite complicated (probably too complicated for a televised game show but that's just my 2c), so for a full breakdown I would recommend watching the first episode. Nevertheless, I will try my best to explain the game below.

The set-up is as follows:

12 players

Mafia faction:
2 terrorists (goons, but they only have 1 bullet per goon)

Town faction:
4 'ordinary citizens' (vanilla townies)
1 'antibody citizen' (some weird oblivious+motion-dependent townie, believing it is vanilla townie)
2 'researchers' (masons, with an additional role that I wouldn't know how to compare to a standard mafia role)
1 'journalist' (sane alignment cop)

Neutral faction:
Fanatic (Jester, but wins when he dies regardless of killing method)
Officer (Although described as 'neutral faction' this is actually a Vigilante, as his win condition is only met when Mafia faction loses)

As this is a game show based on the accumulation of resources throughout multiple games, they do not use a binary win/lose format but rather currency based on your performance - one of the metrics they use to assess how many coins a player gets, is the speed at which they fulfill their win condition. The fanatic gets more coins the faster he is eliminated, the officer gets more coins the faster town wins, etc.

The win condition for the Mafia faction is simple: kill all townies. The only townie they do not need to kill to ensure victory is the antibody townie (but if he/she dies that's fine too).

For town, there are 2 win conditions: 1) all mafia must die or 2) complete a cure.

The cure requires some interaction between the person with the antibodies and the researchers, one that I did not fully understand on first watch (and I am not planning on a second watch).
At the start of the game, the Mafia faction chooses one person to 'infect'. They can only do this once per game. Example:

In the above image, player 6 is infected.

The infection then spreads to the adjacent players in the next round - 'adjacent' is based on player number, not on their actual positions in the live game. Players 1 and 12 are deemed to be adjacent.

Players who have been infected for 2 rounds die, so the next round would look like this:

If a player next to an infected person is dead, the infection will 'skip' that player (or players) and spread to the first adjacent player.

Mafia faction has 1 antidote per terrorist which they can use on anyone they like - including themselves.

The 'antibodies townie' can get infected and spread the infection, but the 'infected' status will automatically return to 'not infected' after every round.

Each player can check whether they are infected once per game.

I thought this game was interesting (albeit needlessly complicated, especially for the medium and target audience), and was wondering what you all thought about this set-up. I feel intuitively like it can be hacked by a mass roleclaim at the start but can't pinpoint the exact strategy (probably because I also don't fully understand the game).
Your own blood will clean the blood for now
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:56 am

Post by T-Bone »

Might be interesting if someone took the time to learn the game a bit more.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:26 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I watched that show, and when they started explaining it, I was like wtf, this is so complicated, and they had to do it Face to Face. :lol:

I did like it overall, though, and would be interested in seeing it in action.
SIR CYANIDE
SIR CYANIDE
Goon
SIR CYANIDE
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:31 am

Post by SIR CYANIDE »

Maybe we can host a game here to see how it plays out? The only thing that would perhaps be tricky to implement is the non-binary win condition (instead of y/n it is point-based). Would anyone be up for participating?
Your own blood will clean the blood for now
ketchup777
ketchup777
he/him
Mafia Scum
ketchup777
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:32 am

Post by ketchup777 »

In post 3, SIR CYANIDE wrote: Maybe we can host a game here to see how it plays out? The only thing that would perhaps be tricky to implement is the non-binary win condition (instead of y/n it is point-based). Would anyone be up for participating?
yeah I would be up for it I loved the whole show

Return to “Mafia Discussion”