Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:57 pm

Post by implosion »

In post 73, Aventurine wrote: Going to take a gamble and say that Umlaut is likely to be town.
Why do you consider this a gamble?
May
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She | No they/etc

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:31 pm

Post by May »

In post 25, Aventurine wrote: I realized just now I could make a witty comment about how you could put me in your pocket, but I didn't think to do that when I made my first post, unfortunately.
I'm pressing the e key (pickup key in MapleStory)

god I hope that's wrong because if I actually remember the pickup key from that game still
May
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:39 pm

Post by May »

In post 46, implosion wrote:
In post 40, Aventurine wrote: And this compromise lies in not nominating yourself? Coalition-making is a different process from voting on coalitions.
This is also something to highlight in this setup; mechanically speaking, HEAL: s are 100% meaningless unless you heal 5 people. Voting for a coalition of 4 players will never actually mechanically contribute to a coalition forming because the day ends when 5 people have all voted for the same 5 people.

This is not to say we oughtn't vote because it's a good way to telegraph an opinion. But votes don't carry the mechanical weight that they do in a normal game of mafia, where voting for a player is putting them one step closer to being eliminated. Even voting for a full coalition doesn't have the same sort of weight because it own't matter unless 4 other people agree on the
exact
same coalition.
I'm reading this whole post in the voice of Mercy Overwatch
May
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
Goon

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:43 pm

Post by May »

In post 72, Aventurine wrote:
In post 46, implosion wrote:
In post 40, Aventurine wrote: And this compromise lies in not nominating yourself? Coalition-making is a different process from voting on coalitions.
This is also something to highlight in this setup; mechanically speaking, HEALs are 100% meaningless unless you heal 5 people. Voting for a coalition of 4 players will never actually mechanically contribute to a coalition forming because the day ends when 5 people have all voted for the same 5 people.

This is not to say we oughtn't vote because it's a good way to telegraph an opinion. But votes don't carry the mechanical weight that they do in a normal game of mafia, where voting for a player is putting them one step closer to being eliminated. Even voting for a full coalition doesn't have the same sort of weight because it own't matter unless 4 other people agree on the
exact
same coalition.
Yikes, I’ll see myself out. I
also
misunderstood the setup, since I didn’t really read it in detail; I assumed we were making coalitions first and then voting on several different coalitions. I guess they’re similar, through.
Every setup is more fun and has healthier day play if you just ignore mech as much as possible and solve alignments and do the mech stuff last minute
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:47 pm

Post by implosion »

mech is the spice of life
May
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:51 pm

Post by May »

I think it's town indicative for black to pushback skepticism on my slot, considering I hyperposted last game. Hyperposting town read scum is kind of a loss condition even more so than failition
May
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:54 pm

Post by May »

In post 67, Umlaut wrote: Actually

HEAL: Tsawwassen

It's a bit moon-logicky but I find the immediate about-face towny.
Does this mean the moon logic was scummy but the about-face is towny? I would think it's neutral and towny
Aventurine
Aventurine
it/he
Townie
Aventurine
it/he
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: it/he

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:31 pm

Post by Aventurine »

In post 76, implosion wrote:
In post 73, Aventurine wrote: Going to take a gamble and say that Umlaut is likely to be town.
Why do you consider this a gamble?
I don’t. It’s just that the character thus account is themed after has a gambling addiction so I want to make as make as many references to gambling as possible
Aventurine
Aventurine
it/he
Townie
Aventurine
it/he
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: it/he

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:31 pm

Post by Aventurine »

(He doesn’t actually) (it’s debatable)
Cutter B
Cutter B
she
Townie
Cutter B
she
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: she

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:43 pm

Post by Cutter B »

hello! did you wait for me? I'm going to reread the whole thread 4 more times to come up with points with my gut, intuition, experience or whatever i have, like you guys. No, a three more times if necessary. It's not easy, is it? 7 townies, 2 mafia goons and an 11 days long coalition phase. I wonder why 11 days. Does it take that long normally to come up with an agreement?
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:51 pm

Post by implosion »

mafiascum is pretty dramatically slow paced a lot of the time, yeah. Depends a lot on the game, the players, etc, but there are definitely plenty of games that use all their time. Also lots of games that peter out and then people drag their feet, so it's good to be vigilant that things are actually still happening. That said, the coalition phase in this setup is very high pressure since a significant amount of the time town wins this setup, it'll be in the coalition phase, and it only ends when 5 people agree on an exact coalition. So it usually lasts most to all of the deadline.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:53 pm

Post by implosion »

In post 81, May wrote: I think it's town indicative for black to pushback skepticism on my slot, considering I hyperposted last game. Hyperposting town read scum is kind of a loss condition even more so than failition
Why is this pertinent? I wouldn't describe you as hyperposting in this game. Just that you think Black-town should have some latent skepticism that you're capable of carrying a game as scum? If so, do you think Black-scum would be less likely to express that skepticism?
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:59 pm

Post by implosion »

In post 66, Umlaut wrote: Meh, mech talk. I nommed myself because I'm town and I want to nom people who are town.
In post 26, Tsawwassen wrote: I won't nominate people who nominate themselves
Weird. (Looks like you backed out of this quickly though)
In post 28, Moros wrote: i will nominate a person if and only if the person doesn't nominate themself
Okay, Bertrand.

In post 68, Umlaut wrote:
@Tsawwassen
, do you have previous Mafia experience?
I'm a little bit tempted to significantly townread this sequence. The fact that there's 3 posts and the spacing of their timing I think points to town who saw something weird, then realized they felt it was not scummy, and then thought a bit more on it and realized that it might depend on previous experience level. I think it's a bit less likely to come from scum since Umlaut would have to manually decide to take both the step to make the second post, and the step to make the third post. Maybe way over-reading into things but curious if anyone sees what I'm seeing.
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:08 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

HEAL: implosion
HEAL: Cutter B
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
Tsawwassen
Tsawwassen
Townie
Tsawwassen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:45 pm

Post by Tsawwassen »

In post 85, Cutter B wrote: hello! did you wait for me? I'm going to reread the whole thread 4 more times to come up with points with my gut, intuition, experience or whatever i have, like you guys. No, a three more times if necessary. It's not easy, is it? 7 townies, 2 mafia goons and an 11 days long coalition phase. I wonder why 11 days. Does it take that long normally to come up with an agreement?
Eagerly awaiting your input!

May
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:06 pm

Post by May »

In post 87, implosion wrote:
In post 81, May wrote: I think it's town indicative for black to pushback skepticism on my slot, considering I hyperposted last game. Hyperposting town read scum is kind of a loss condition even more so than failition
Why is this pertinent? I wouldn't describe you as hyperposting in this game. Just that you think Black-town should have some latent skepticism that you're capable of carrying a game as scum? If so, do you think Black-scum would be less likely to express that skepticism?
I'm not hyperposting this game yet but the game has been open 8 hours. I say yet but I am pretty sure I will not hyperpost this game. But yet as in, she could still expect I might.

I meant skepticism that I should be townbinned so I think maybe you have points backwards.

If she's scum I think it's probably in her range to emulate but would accomplish less of her goals because you can probably let one or two loud obvtowns develop comfortably in this setup
May
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
May
She | No they/etc
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:13 pm

Post by May »

In post 88, implosion wrote:
In post 66, Umlaut wrote: Meh, mech talk. I nommed myself because I'm town and I want to nom people who are town.
In post 26, Tsawwassen wrote: I won't nominate people who nominate themselves
Weird. (Looks like you backed out of this quickly though)
In post 28, Moros wrote: i will nominate a person if and only if the person doesn't nominate themself
Okay, Bertrand.

In post 68, Umlaut wrote:
@Tsawwassen
, do you have previous Mafia experience?
I'm a little bit tempted to significantly townread this sequence. The fact that there's 3 posts and the spacing of their timing I think points to town who saw something weird, then realized they felt it was not scummy, and then thought a bit more on it and realized that it might depend on previous experience level. I think it's a bit less likely to come from scum since Umlaut would have to manually decide to take both the step to make the second post, and the step to make the third post. Maybe way over-reading into things but curious if anyone sees what I'm seeing.
I initially read the third post as unrelated pure curiosity but as a related followup it does make a c-c-combo multipost tell
Cutter B
Cutter B
she
Townie
Cutter B
she
Townie
Townie

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:07 pm

Post by Cutter B »

I think there's a good ‘probability’ that we will find one scum in each group, if we divide us players into grups of least and most posts. So I'm also deciding to pick two players from both groups to add into my coalition.
Or, how about I sort out players who show high potential, so even if the coalition fails, I think they will do a good job figuring out the scum, since making them suspect means putting them under pressure. Well, that means I probably wouldn’t be in that coalition but, isn’t town’s win more important?
Cutter B
Cutter B
she
Townie
Cutter B
she
Townie
Townie

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:08 pm

Post by Cutter B »

somebody, whats c-c-combo and townbinning?
Cutter B
Cutter B
she
Townie
Cutter B
she
Townie
Townie

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:09 pm

Post by Cutter B »

Scum-reading, town-reading. This must be how pros play.
Black
Black
she/her
Twilight Princess
Black
she/her
Twilight Princess
Twilight Princess
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:33 pm

Post by Black »

In post 74, Moros wrote: from an objective perspective, i think there is a 72% chance that there's scum in the band. from a subjective perspective, i think it's Black.
Why do you think I'm scum?
I scumread Alianna.

ALL HAIL THE SCUM QUEEN!
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:00 am

Post by Umlaut »

In post 82, May wrote:

Does this mean the moon logic was scummy but the about-face is towny? I would think it's neutral and towny
No, I'm calling my own reasoning moon logic (meaning I don't necessarily expect it to be a convincing reason for a tr to anyone else)
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:01 am

Post by Umlaut »

I like the effort implo is making in reading my posts.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Tsawwassen
Tsawwassen
Townie
Tsawwassen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:08 am

Post by Tsawwassen »

In post 95, Cutter B wrote: Scum-reading, town-reading. This must be how pros play.
Are you insulting me, rookie? Calling people pros n shiz

Return to “Central Park [Open Games]”