[OLD] Open Setup Discussion and Nominations

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2744 (isolation #0) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:45 pm

Post by popsofctown »

If the diviner helps, i think mass claim could break it, perhaps
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2802 (isolation #1) » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:34 pm

Post by popsofctown »

if you did:
1 Cop or 1 Hider or 1 Doctor or 1 Weak Doctor
1 Cop or 1 Hider or 1 Doctor or 1 Weak Doctor
1 Mafia roleblocker
1 Mafia goon, or Roleblocker if neither town power is Hider or Weak Doctor
5 Vanilla town

It'd be a lot stronger against late game massclaims. I don't think it's too bad as is, i mean, i like the idea. Just an idle suggestion.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2938 (isolation #2) » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:29 pm

Post by popsofctown »

My first attempt:

Crazy Monkey Mafia:
1 Mafia
1 Loving Traitor (the scum-without-nightkill kind, dies if mafia dies)
1 Jester, NK immune
1 Jester's crazy monkey (wants the jester to die. i. e., Jester-traitor)
1 Role+Alliance sane cop (i. e., gets a full copy of the role PM for his investigative targets.
5 townies

If the jester wins, everyone else instantly loses. (except of course, his pet monkey)
In any indecisive endgames, the jester suicides after two no-NK no-lynch cycles.

The reason i was thinking it'd be a pretty good setup is that the traitor and monkey can claim cop, and yet the cop is quite powerful.
To tweak any one side's power, the options that would seem good is adding a roleblock to the mafia, or roleblock to the monkey, or doctoring to the monkey, or a cop head start.
"nice for a first try but no, pops?"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2967 (isolation #3) » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:20 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Crazy Monkey Mafia v2:
1 Mafia (Knows who the jester is)
1 Loving Traitor (the scum-without-nightkill kind, dies if mafia dies) (also knows who the jester is)
1 Jester, NK immune
1 Jester's crazy monkey (wants the jester to die. i. e., Jester-traitor)
1 Role+Alliance sane cop (i. e., gets a full copy of the role PM for his investigative targets.
5 townies

No players can self vote
If the jester wins, everyone else instantly loses. (except of course, his pet monkey)
In any indecisive endgames, Mafia kills compulsively.

Less jester heavy? I can give the scum more advantages if i have to.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2970 (isolation #4) » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Post by popsofctown »

But if he's not NK immune, he can lose N1...
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2973 (isolation #5) » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Ok.. i'll come back some time later with jesters that aren't NK immune.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3084 (isolation #6) » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:33 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Plum wrote: Pillar Mafia

(3) Mafia
(1) Cop
(1) Pillar of Healing
(1) Pillar of Poison
(7) Vanilla Town

The Pillar of Healing Doc-protects whoever targets it, and is town-aligned.
The Pillar of Poison NKs whoever targets it, and is a self-aligned SK.

The Mafia have one NK action per night (if it hits the Pillar of Poison, the one who sent the kill dies).

The Cop has one investigation action per night.

Each townie has one action per night, which only does anything if the townie targets either of the Pillars.

All night actions are compulsive. Day Start?

This way, I think, you can have a protective role and a Cop in the same game without actually having an overpowered Doc-Cop combo, because if the PoH claims, the Cop (after, I suppose, investigating the player in question) has the choice of giving himself a Doc protect or investigating. The SK and mafia may need a little balancing, though. Might be an interesting mechanic that the SK has as many kills as he's targeted with, be that five or none, and can't choose whom to kill. Too many mafia? I don't think so but have a nagging suspicion.
this looks cool. I nominate it. Although my nomination means nothing
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3182 (isolation #7) » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:10 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Adel wrote:
Paris Mafia

3 Mafia Goons
2 Mime Goons (Both mimes must die by lynching in order for the Mime Goons to win -- they share a NK)
2 Vigs
2 Cops
4 Townies
I nominate this, i would actually play it. (whether or not anyone agrees to the changes i would like):
I think Mime Goon victory should cause the other players to lose.
Mime Goons should probably die once they've wiffed their win condition.. too many things could go wrong with a limbo player.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3194 (isolation #8) » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:13 am

Post by popsofctown »

Make one mime a doctor, and if that's not enough the other a roleblocker.

The doctor effectively has a bulletproof partner unless he dies first. But if his bulletproof partner is lynched, it gets interesting, he can start using his protects to just stall the game (he loses if the last scum is NKed and there are other uses that might come up for the protect).

That sounds like more than enough help to me, but a role block is an option too.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3197 (isolation #9) » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:38 pm

Post by popsofctown »

no, it's not the same. If the non-doc mime dies by lynching, then the other is no longer NK protected. The roleblocker was a possible thing for the other mime, not necessary.

Remember, they are only lovers if they die by NK (otherwise they can't win, ever)
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3221 (isolation #10) » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:06 pm

Post by popsofctown »

nominate
Mr. Flay's Paris mafia with or without joint roleblock
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3234 (isolation #11) » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:14 am

Post by popsofctown »

I like the sheep thing. I only like it if sheep's win condition causes loss for the other two factions. I don't like games where multiple factions can win. There's a complex sophisticated reason for the disdain, but i can't remember my beautiful explanation why. *shrugs*
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3236 (isolation #12) » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:53 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Is breadcrumbing allowed in the sheep game? Like some of the sheep could say "why wasn't the lynch yesterday a humorous failure? My it was a humorous failure, a total catastrophe"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3238 (isolation #13) » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:14 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Darn straight. I love it.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3252 (isolation #14) » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:08 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I like big small town. I have no clue about balance, but i like it.

There's definitely special cases to consider. I'd actually rather enjoy seeing who could break the game best though.

Like, if one part of town breaks down to one townie one scum, the jailkeeper of one town can target that scum to keep that section of town in perpetual tie. (a cross town shooting risks doc protection if that remaining townie is known)
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3298 (isolation #15) » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:54 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Adel wrote:Mr. and Ms. Smith
Mr. Smith (SK) (nk-immune)
Mrs. Smith (SK) (nk-immune)
1 Watcher
x townies

Daystart

x = number of townies necessary to balance setup. x = 6?

Mr. and Mrs. Smith are SKs, with the win condition "you win if you are the last player alive". If one ever targets the other, they get a qt thread to use for the rest of the period of night, and each following period of night, and their win conditions are changed to read "you win if either you or your spouse outlives the entire town"
nominate, this is really school, i like the lack of confusing mechanics. Did i just say really school? Man, i am excited about going to college. >_> Really cool is what i meant.

I thought x had to be >= 7, but i'm a newb
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3304 (isolation #16) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:25 am

Post by popsofctown »

i think it is meant to be played as an open by experienced players, the title just identifies the origin.

Although i happen to believe sanity issues don't belong in any game

Mr. and Mrs. Smith has lots of interesting quirks to it. If Mr. Smith claims Watcher before he meets Mrs. Smith, he instantly loses unless he does it in LyLo. If Mr. Smith claims watcher after he's met her, or gambles on meeting her the night after claiming watcher, he can still win, and can get the watcher killed by his partner. So belating the meeting, even if it's not totally prevented, could be significant.
"Well, I..."

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”