Title Fairy Policy Changes

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Oman wrote:
1. What do you think titles should be? Should they be an expression of each user's individuality? A reward for long standing Scummers who have been active in the community? An entitlement after x years/posts/games?

I don't feel that they should be an entitlement. They should be a witty, humorous or insightful reflection of a person's individual personality or a reference to a defining moment in that person's M-S "career".

2. What do you think the Title Fairy should be? A passive administrator to update the first page only? A moderator to ensure a sense of order in thread and titles? A way to make sure crap titles don't get through by his own judgment as an appointed official?

2 and 3. The Title Fairy needs to be the gatekeeper, both cleaning up the thread and making sure that the really terrible titles don't get through.

3. What limits/restrictions need to be placed on title recipients? 100 posts is still okay? 1 completed game? 1 year on site? No requirements?

I think we could safely bump it up to 500 posts. Heck, I was past that line within 3 months of being on this site. I think a year's too long, but I'll let those with titles be the judge of that.

4. What limits/restrictions need to be placed on title suggesters? One suggestion/week? No limit? Bannings from Title Fairy on repeated insulting titles?

I don't like putting a limit on it, since I see it as a sort of fun mini-game, but I do think that excessive bad titling should result in a tempban.

5. Should titles be on for the life of the account? Expand on what you feel to appropriate length of time before someone's title would be changed.

I think they should be on the account until that person's history on the site either makes the original title seem like a non sequitur or a better title comes along.

6. Should titles be suggest by the community and then "accepted" by the person-in-question (for want of a better term), or should they be thrust upon them regardless of their thoughts on it? Of course, this links with "title fairy moderation of titles" as above.

Absolutely should be accepted - otherwise, you've got title rape. And there's nothing funny about title rape.

7. What do you see the Title Fairy Thread as? A spam thread? Srs Title Business? A place where you can post whatever without fear of moderation/incurring wrath?

Not really any of the above. It's a lighthearted place for reflection on the unique personalities that post on this site. Too much spamminess or too much seriousness would be counterproductive.

8. What should a title be given
for
? Mafia games? Scumchat? GD?

I'd say not scumchat because it's not something that has permanence on the site. The other two, sure. Like it or not, GD has a huge impact on how this site functions as a community.

9. Where do you want it? Site Ideas, Mafia Discussion, GD?

I like it where it is, in site ideas. If it was in GD, people would tend to more casually self-nominate.

10. Round it out with anything else you have to add.

So far, I like what you're doing with it. Just try to strike a good balance between fun and on-topic.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (isolation #1) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:16 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Fair enough. Like I said, I'm flexible - that's the area that I have the least concern over. As far as PolarBoy and Sugar go, though, from the looks of things, they were from the era during which games were over in less than 20 pages. The level of expected activity on this site has gone up dramatically since then.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (isolation #2) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Post by Netopalis »

shaft.ed wrote:
Ether wrote:Yes, Shafted has a period in the middle of his name.
I don't know how I avoided getting a title related to menstruation to be honest.
Too easy, especially given the username "shaft.ed'

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (isolation #3) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:09 am

Post by Netopalis »

Cayke: I think the important distinction is the permanence of words on the forum - we can link to a post made on the forum, but we can't link to a joke made in scumchat.

Return to “Player Titles”