Title Fairy: Out With The Orca, In With The Moogle

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #1900 (ISO) » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:02 pm

Post by Porochaz »

I ended up in this thread by accident I think I clicked somethinfg. HI OMAN!!!!
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1901 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:45 am

Post by Oman »

Vi wrote:
xRECKONERx wrote:Look at the people on this site who have titles. They're not just handed out like candy, usually. Hey, look, I'm modding an entire SERIES of games on Lost, maybe we should make me a title to reference Lost! /sarcasm
If they're decent games and you have no other particularly relevant defining characteristics, why not?
All of these things are what people are generally well-known for...it's what gives their title character. Nobody, except for the handful of people who have actually PLAYED in DKU's superhero games (and I'm one of them, for the record) would know/get/appreciate his title.

Kise has an entire series of games based on Square-Enix, where's his title?
Dramonic has an entire group of games based off of obscure/not amazingly popular JRPGs, where's his title?
I could pull out a thousand more examples, but you get it.
We can go the other way with that though.

What off earth does "Lyrical Rampage" mean?
(and why doesn't that title have something to do with Mith's Minions?)

I'm not Patrick's Rantbuddy (although he has had the misfortune of reviewing my setups, so I can give him some slack)
IH is "Always Scum"? Really?
When's the last time Yos2 (shrug)ged that anyone has seen?
I wasn't in PBuG's "I Win" game, should I care?
Ditto Oman's "NK Immune Miller Vig".
Ditto EmpTyger's "It's a JOKE!".
Ditto Talitha's "Dr. Death".
Ditto Thesp's "Supersaint".
Norinel got a somewhat odd title for laughable vote count skills ("Not Voting (3)"), but why should bad modding be commended?
Was "9 Years Old"
really
the best we could do for ShadowLurker?
"Yawesome". Enough said.
Is getting 62545 (or however many it was) PMs via a board glitch worth a title? It happened to me, so it's nothing special; that title should be stricken immediately.
All of these "I want a title" titles ("Unique", "Famewhore", "More /in than you!", "Entitled", etc.) can amscray as well...

You get the idea. I'm not in favor of taking any of these titles away; in fact, I would actually prefer if we WERE less strict about who gets titles. It seems like at this stage, you either need to win two Scummies at once, have a visible GD presence (Mafia what?), have a grating playstyle, or have ~*~connections~*~ in the social community to get a title. Before, granted the community was smaller so more people saw these things, but handing titles out was much more casual.

As for Kise and dramonic, why aren't people suggesting them?
Although I suspect that dram's title would relate to you in some way rather than his games.
Vi is entirely right, however, so is Reckoner. Now I'll get off the fence, pull the splinters from my arse, and explain.

Regarding Vi's points: There has been a significant cultural shift in titles throughout Thokreign and then progressing into mine. Previous titles from another era is not the right yardstick by which to judge upcoming titles (and that will be as true for the next cultural shift, whether I am fairy or not). Of the 17 titles that you gave as examples only two are really given within the last year or two (That's mine and Erg0's) and the others are from the era when titles were an expectation. If you take a look at the original Title Fairy Threads (or Dance of the Title Fairy) there are comments where people say "hey I just hit the post requirement" and then people start on titles. Is that where we want our titles to be? I think a cultural shift should be recognised such that we don't judge the new group of titles off the old ones.

That said, regarding Reck: I've found it incredibly difficult to judge titles that I personally haven't been a part of, especially now that I'm not playing mafia. I think that you're experiencing that as well, just have a think about it, and if you still feel this way, then give me something more than "no" to work with.

Hi Chaz!
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1902 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:32 am

Post by VP Baltar »

VPB wrote:Titles either work for a user's persona or they don't, and that's what judgement of their quality should be based upon. This BS about holding up the integrity of titles is such tired rhetoric.
Oh hai, relevant point that is being entirely missed.
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1903 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:37 am

Post by Vi »

Oman wrote:Regarding Vi's points: There has been a significant cultural shift in titles throughout Thokreign and then progressing into mine. Previous titles from another era is not the right yardstick by which to judge upcoming titles (and that will be as true for the next cultural shift, whether I am fairy or not). Of the 17 titles that you gave as examples only two are really given within the last year or two (That's mine and Erg0's)
and the others are from the era when titles were an expectation. If you take a look at the original Title Fairy Threads (or Dance of the Title Fairy) there are comments where people say "hey I just hit the post requirement" and then people start on titles. Is that where we want our titles to be?
I think a cultural shift should be recognised such that we don't judge the new group of titles off the old ones.
I thought the Title Fairy Policy was always that titles weren't expected, but if not, that explains things. Of course, we could just prevent anyone who asks for a title or looks like they're deliberately trying for a title (as judged by the Title Fairy) from getting one for, say, three months.

You get the idea though. I would prefer it more if title-giving was more liberal in general for the reasons stated before. By "more liberal" I'm not talking about turning it into a giveaway, the Internet is not America and there are more than two polar positions on issues, etc.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1904 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:48 am

Post by Oman »

Vi, I certainly appreciate that some people have different opinions on the title system than I, but executive decisions will always be made in accordance with the doctrine I set out on the first post. Taking a step back that policy was drawn from old policy, general opinion, and my personal ideas. And people have said to me that they don't want titles being handed out like candy (VPB obviously believe otherwise).

The best way I've ever heard it put was by Shea "A title should be 'Yup, that's X, alright!'" And I don't know how others feel, but I don't think this *is* X.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1905 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:06 am

Post by Vi »

Oman wrote:And people have said to me that they don't want titles being handed out like candy (VPB obviously believe otherwise).
I'm actually quite sure neither me nor VPB is saying that titles should be handed out like candy.

Even so, I'm not the Title Fairy and I'm sure I'm nowhere near being in the running to be the next Title Fairy, so.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1906 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:09 am

Post by VP Baltar »

Oman wrote:And people have said to me that they don't want titles being handed out like candy (VPB obviously believe otherwise).
That's not what I said at all actually. What I said is in accordance with what you are quoting from Shea. My problem is that the new titling policy seems to dogmatically criticize titles out of the gate without discussing their actual merits whatsoever. This tired shit about titles can't spring from a single event (or an avatar or modded games or whatever) is idiotic because there is no precedent for titles NOT being given that way. Titles can spring from these singular events and be acceptable IF THEY FIT THE USER'S FORUM PERSONA. So, to say dana's title is bad because it's based on some games he modded is a shitty argument and signs of a terrible titling policy being enforced. A much better approach would be to say, 'I don't think that title quite fits dana because I see dana as XYZ and not just the guy who only mods super hero games.' or something of that accord. Placing arbitrary rules that the title must represent a player's presence in X number of threads, or whatever subjective criteria is being pushed this week, makes absolutely no sense as a titling policy.

Further, I find dismissals like Reck's completely arbitrary because it is seems like made no effort whatsoever to even look at the games MoI posted to see if they were representative of dana's persona. Nor did you I'm assume. Maybe more effort should be put into actually thinking about the titles instead of finding bad reasons to laze about. Just my two-pence.
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #1907 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:28 am

Post by Empking »

Though there is a middle ground for titling policy its a logical fallacy to think that that middle ground is necessarily better. I, for one dislike Dana's title for two reasons.
1. Dana modding superhero games is neither a) memorable b) funny c) capable of raising a smile despite not being funny or memorable.
2. "I want a Cape" as a title is neither a) memorable b) funny c) capable of raising a smile despite not being funny or memorable.

In my opinion failure on both counts makes it a pointless title that just drags the average quality down.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #1908 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:30 am

Post by SensFan »

Maybe you should actually read what Reck's saying, VPB. He's in the ongoing game about Super Heroes. He just thinks that a couple of games run about Super Heroes isn't something that should lead to a title, and after reflection about it, I agree with him. Maybe its just me, but when I think of dana, I don't think 'Oh yeah, he's that superhero guy!'
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1909 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:50 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Maybe it's just me, but the real reason we seem to have less titles given out since Thokreign started is that there's fewer
legitimate
titles being suggested. So much of Thok's threads (and now, this one) are metabitching about titles, players, or the Title Fairy. *yawn*
Retired as of October 2014.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1910 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:30 am

Post by Vi »

Mr. Flay wrote:Maybe it's just me, but the real reason we seem to have less titles given out since Thokreign started is that there's fewer
legitimate
titles being suggested. So much of Thok's threads (and now, this one) are metabitching about titles, players, or the Title Fairy. *yawn*
*looks at list from a few posts up*
"Fewer"?

Also, what is SensFan's title for?
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #1911 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:44 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

SensFan wrote:
Thestatusquo wrote:I title based on three games doesn't really seem like it has staying power to me.
*shrug*

My title is based off a single game from 2007. I think
Hot Streak
has merit to it, personally.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #1912 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:57 am

Post by Herodotus »

Vi wrote:I thought the Title Fairy Policy was always that titles weren't expected, but if not, that explains things.
Long ago, it was not uncommon for users to request titles. (Though if you follow that link, remember that some of the requests are just users asking for their titles to be restored to what they were before they were lost, in what I assume was The Crash.)
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #1913 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:34 am

Post by SensFan »

Vi wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:Maybe it's just me, but the real reason we seem to have less titles given out since Thokreign started is that there's fewer
legitimate
*looks at list from a few posts up*
"Fewer"?

Also, what is SensFan's title for?
Quoth Glork, back in Feb 2008:
"Nominate SensFan for Fortuna Ex Deus (suggestion by JDodge) for his whacked out play in the religiously-based Martyr Mafia."
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1914 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:54 am

Post by dramonic »

the only thing I can think of when I see Danakillsu is that it's a play on Dana Scully.
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #1915 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:01 am

Post by SensFan »

[insert AniX-related title nomination here]
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1916 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:02 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Herodotus wrote:In fact, xReckonerx's title is no longer accurate now that Thread 13720 is no longer in Forum 6. It should be edited to reflect that.
This.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1917 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Post by Oman »

Sensfan played a suicide bomber, he hit scum in N0, killing himself and half the scumteam.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #1918 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:21 pm

Post by SensFan »

Oman wrote:Sensfan played a suicide bomber that would lose if he bombed Town, he hit scum in N0, killing himself and half the scumteam.
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #1919 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:32 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

I'm trying to walk this tightrope of Nominating RC for "Asstoot" and never Nom'ing him. Hrm.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #1920 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:03 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Vi wrote: Ditto Oman's "NK Immune Miller Vig".
I've got to say, this is more worthy of a title then almost anything else. We were still laughing about that fake claim at the last scum meet.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #1921 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 am

Post by shaft.ed »

inHimshallibe wrote:I'm trying to walk this tightrope of Nominating RC for "Asstoot" and never Nom'ing him. Hrm.
it's actually quite a good title if he would take it
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #1922 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:00 pm

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

Vi wrote:Is there some kind of fake superhero alter-ego nickname we can give him a la The Caped Crusader?
I think this suggestion has strong merit. It would have to be significantly generic as to not tie him too closely with either Marvel or DC (since he dabbles in both). I would also think some Mafia related flavor should be included.

Something like ‘Moderator Lad’, only less stupid. Or something like ‘DKU Editor-in-Chief’. Will mull for a day or so and see what my subconscious comes up with.
Flay wrote:Mr. Mxyzptlk ? He's kind of messing with the players' minds and the capes' lives...
If it wasn’t so directly tied to DC that would be a very good suggestion.
Reck wrote: This is a bad, bad reason to give someone a title.
Nothing personal Reck, but just because life is currently handing you lemons doesn’t mean you have to fuck with everyone else. Make some lemonade for God’s sake.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1923 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Post by Ythan »

Or maybe he just meant it's a bad, bad reason to give someone a title.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #1924 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Post by Porochaz »

I agree with shaft.ed. I also agree with VP Baltar. Frequently Ive read Oman's thought process and gone "I dont like his thinking" but at the same time I have done the exact opposite and thought exactly what he is thinking. Despite what is said "NK Immune Millar Vig" was a one time game and if Thok had taken the same approach I am seeing, it wouldnt have been made a title and have been forgotten quickly. That said, I am an agreeable person and I agree with Flay as well. Most of the titles recently have been shite, including dana's, there should be allowances in that NK Immune Millar Vig is a classic to all who read and are linked to that game, but at the same time when making a suggestion, are you going to find it amusing in a months time? is anyone else?
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.

Return to “Player Titles”