Dance of the Title Fairy: ORCA's Greatest Hits

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Dance of the Title Fairy: ORCA's Greatest Hits

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:24 am

Post by Oman »

I am the current Title Fairy and am the sole judge on who gets a title and what it shall be. Titles should follow the policy below:

Oman's Title Fairy Policy

1. The Title Fairy (in his position as mith's appointed official) is both a moderator of the Title Fairy Thread, and a moderator of titles in general. Title Fairy word is law within these confines.

2. A title is designed to be an informal representation of a user's personality and individuality. It is also a badge of honour that the title-holder has become an individual within the community, valued by his or her peers. A title should be something that user is recognised by, including a lasting appeal, not a quickly waning fad. In layman's terms, one should say "Yup, that is User X alright!". It should be easily accessible to all people, with wittiness/humour being a benefit.

3. Titles based on usernames (especially username puns) or avatars are not recommended. It is important to remember that titles are placed underneath the username and avatar, and the repetition is not required, and looks cluttered. Also forcing any suggestion, even the particularly clever ones, into a pun rarely become more personal, or more humorous. Avatars are also often transient and the title becomes outdated very quickly. However, exceptional titles containing these may still be awarded at Title Fairy discretion.

4. The minimum threshold for a title is six months on site. This limit is designed to ensure that once a person receives a title, they are entrenched as an individual, and that the title they are nominated for is suited to their personality. This limit is for the person, so a change of username or making an alternate account the primary will not disqualify the user. By no means does reaching the required time instantly mean the user is deserving of a title.

5. Any user can recommend a title for a qualified user. It is a simple request that extraneous titles are not suggested on a whim, as these clutter the thread. To recommend oneself for a title is bad form, it is a gift from the peers, not something to bestow on oneself. However, users are encouraged to become involved in discussion of their own title within the thread. Abuse of the ability to suggest titles, by suggesting insulting, or otherwise frivolous titles will result in that user's privilege being removed. Note that Site Ideas (including Title Fairy) is covered under the site rules, and abuse may warrant reporting to Site Admins.

6. Titles are subject to the recipient's approval as well as the Title Fairy's, and may be rejected regardless of other support. Titles can be removed at the request of the user. This is an exception for "outdated" or irrelevant titles, and not a standard action.

7. The Title Fairy Thread is for title discussion. Its fixture in Site Ideas, as opposed to General Discussion should indicate the administrators' view on how it should be used. While some light-hearted discussion is okay, a good rule of thumb is that title discussion should be the primary focus. Title Fairy reserves the right to delete posts, or split them to General Discussion as required.

8. For any issues regarding the Title Fairy, Title Fairy Thread, or Titles, see first the Title Fairy then, for any issues not resolved at that level, see Mr Flay, then mith.

You may make suggestions for titles for people other than yourself here. You should not nominate yourself for a title. A title nomination will generally be ignored for a user with less than X posts in Mafia games (X is currently 100, but this may change). Reaching this number of posts does not entitle you to a custom title - users will nominate you for a title when something noteworthy warrants it.

Titles should usually be Mafia related. If you are thinking about suggesting a title based on an ongoing game, please wait until the game is over. If it's a good title, it will still be good a few months later.

In general having three or more people show support for a title is sufficient for the Title Fairy to consider it. A post whose only purpose is to nth a title will be deleted (Posts that continue discussion of the title, by either suggesting possible tweaks, or giving further reasons for the title may not be deleted).

Previous versions of this thread can be found here, here, here, here, and here...and here.
Oh, and here.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:47 am

Post by Oman »

You make a game where I'm a Vig and I'll reference you in a thread title. Until then, this is the Vi show.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #7 (isolation #2) » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:36 am

Post by Oman »

In post 4, SleepyKrew wrote:Oman, would you be open to ever getting a new title?

Yup, I've considered a "legacy title" for Title Fairy. I also almost picked up "Disgrace to NK Immune Miller Vigs Everywhere" to reference my original Thok-mimicry when he was Title Fairy. To be honest I'd change my title if something came up, but it's a pretty high bar to jump.

In post 3, bv310 wrote: Were there any titles in discussion?

Magua's was the last one and it was quashed at his own request.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #19 (isolation #3) » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:39 pm

Post by Oman »

With all of Flay's work, you really want to name him after a bitter old man with a phrase that he never uses?
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #44 (isolation #4) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 am

Post by Oman »

I don't like Umbrage's because frankly I don't think grammar titles are any fun, and I don't think that being a grammar nazi on the internet is anything special. It's kind of like being a Brony, or a Furry, or really into Anime, you're kind of hitting 30% of the Internet with the one title.

I make an exception for cyberbob's here.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #98 (isolation #5) » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:37 am

Post by Oman »

GreyICE's title isn't in trouble because it is or isn't statistically significant, it's in trouble because it's a weak title.

I mean weak in the purest sense of the word, not that it's a
bad
title, but that it's fucking
weeeeeeak
. So the first problem is the question mark, it's inherently weak because it turns a statement about a user into a question to be answered. If a title is meant to describe a user, do you really want it to be so horribly soft?

The second problem is that I think it focuses on the wrong part of the situation. The Hidden part is actually the fun part, the miller part is mediocre. The result is that with the weak question mark driving the entire POINT of the title, but the beat on the upward inflection of the word miller. It ends up being a soft title, focusing on the word Miller.

That said, it's a solid idea, chase it! Recommendation is to focus more on the word HIDDEN or how it's about unrevealed information rather than on a question mark.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #101 (isolation #6) » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:45 am

Post by Oman »

AIM wrote:[00:11] The1AndOnlyAgar: Oman, can I just tell you "no" here so I don't have to clutter my egosearch with the inevitable shitstorm that happens weekly in the TF threads?
[00:13] omanscum: What don't you like: That suggestion, or the idea of it
[00:14] the1andonlyagar: It was the concept of a title based on that thread, didn't feel right
[00:14] the1andonlyagar: However, I now have to post Vamilla Ice apparently
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #135 (isolation #7) » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:44 am

Post by Oman »

In post 134, Chevre wrote:Maybe we kould get Lady Lambda to ask him.

I'm not happy with it contravening a ban in any way. And I certainly won't be awarding anything while the ban is in place. I don't mind (and encourage) you guys discussing it until then, but it banned members don't get titles.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #145 (isolation #8) » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Post by Oman »

I'm sick of the "GreyICE says faggot a lot" jokes. I don't like it, I think it's a terrible thing to put in a title, and it actually got close to me shutting down all GreyICE titles for being a shitposter. Please, keep it out of the thread, I'm sick of deleting posts, I'm sick of reports.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #149 (isolation #9) » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:54 am

Post by Oman »

I've done it before. I don't like doing it because in the end titles are Funtimes. I am pretty forgiving, and always spell out a few chances for people, depending on how they display themselves.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #151 (isolation #10) » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:39 am

Post by Oman »

Your suggestion is taken on board and considered. Thanks for the note.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #176 (isolation #11) » Sat May 05, 2012 1:04 am

Post by Oman »

Hey guys, I just got home after about 18 hours of flying, waiting, driving, and crying babies. Please give me a day or two before looking at this, I have to sleep so I can drive more tomorrow to destroy my girlfriend's ladyparts.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #198 (isolation #12) » Tue May 08, 2012 3:12 am

Post by Oman »

Poke nuke coming, Amrun gets
Killed the Radio Star
in 48 hours unless I hear a new and compelling reason otherwise.

I have my reasons beyond Amrun digging it and the sweep of support, and they'll come through in that same 48.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #208 (isolation #13) » Wed May 09, 2012 11:49 pm

Post by Oman »

It's LOOOOOOOOOONG guys. LOOOOOONG.

Titles should be snappy. My title is too long, and even then part of the joke is that it's looooooong.

If I have to wonder if our character count can handle it, it's too long.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #214 (isolation #14) » Thu May 10, 2012 4:35 am

Post by Oman »

Okay, so I think it's a pretty poor basis for a title overall, but what's wrong with just:
Swedish høliday
? What does adding the extra words add to the joke or the description?

There's a rule in joke-writing that the funny thing should be the last words that you say. Every word you say before the turn adds to the funny, every word you say after it detracts.

In a title assume that you only have the punchline. You have to build a joke in 2 words. The backup is that you have a lot of context, it's an inside joke. It's subtle, but the break is definitely there.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #236 (isolation #15) » Thu May 10, 2012 10:08 am

Post by Oman »

On the face of it, I disagree with Flay and SKrew, but I'll think on it today. I've been wrong before.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #272 (isolation #16) » Sun May 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Post by Oman »

Equi = Horse (as in equine). Not sure if there's more to it.

There's a fine line between bickering and constructive title discussion, guys. Keep your focus.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #273 (isolation #17) » Sun May 13, 2012 10:33 pm

Post by Oman »

So Amrun is sporting a fancy new title
Killed the Radio Star
, but why:

First and foremost is This post where Amrun states that she likes this title. It's not the only thing that matters, but when a community title clicks with the user that is a huge marker to me that a title describes that person well.

Secondly it's a very easy link to make: Who killed the radio star? Video. Video -> Youtube, bam. It's not a long convoluted in-joke, it's accessible.

I think it's a very cute little story, and Amrun's response to it is very indicative of her (to me, at least, and evidently to a few others).

Finally, a good marker that this isn't a horrible decision is that most of the argument was not "title-worthiness", but more about exactly what form the story should take (think back to Thor's title if you don't get why this matters). People evidently support Amrun receiving a title, people evidently support the incident being funny, I just had to choose the punchline.

To those who came up with ideas that weren't selected, I'd just like to thank you for making that one an awesomely interactive discussion, rather than general bitching and sniping.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #333 (isolation #18) » Thu May 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Post by Oman »

In post 320, mastin2 wrote:If it were an alt, sure, but it's a hydra.
C'mon man, think of the spirit of the rules not the words.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #380 (isolation #19) » Sat May 19, 2012 11:24 am

Post by Oman »

In post 343, Kublai Khan wrote:I believe there were profanity concerns.

(ridiculous, IMHO)

Not from me...not from anyone I know that matters. Unless it was implosion himself that didn't like it, in which case it pretty much ceases there. I still like Bullshit is my Middle Name, and I still wholeheartedly support it.

No Cure for the Rabid doesn't flow well, but it honestly could be that I'm just sick of hearing that Kuribo is an arsehole...from Kuribo.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #382 (isolation #20) » Sat May 19, 2012 11:52 am

Post by Oman »

Yes, I will explain it in greater detail when less hungover and less on a radio show
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #401 (isolation #21) » Thu May 24, 2012 9:36 am

Post by Oman »

What? No.

Cocks is a cody thing, it's filtered.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #501 (isolation #22) » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:06 am

Post by Oman »

Pony name, Pony avatar, Pony Posts, and you think we need a title to define them as a Pony lover.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #503 (isolation #23) » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:36 am

Post by Oman »

<3
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #512 (isolation #24) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:03 pm

Post by Oman »

*Blank* Nazi is a pretty tired expression. I dunno. Happy to hear more on it.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #534 (isolation #25) » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Post by Oman »

So titles in discussion that aren't shit:

Was there anything that came of the Singer discussion that wasn't wholly meet related?
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #536 (isolation #26) » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:09 pm

Post by Oman »

Does it need the drunken mispellings? They always come off as kind of obnoxious to me.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #548 (isolation #27) » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Post by Oman »

In post 543, Mr. Flay wrote:It's pretty bad, but it's also kind of funny. I'm torn for once.

I am totally in this position. It's terrible, it's obnoxious, but it makes me lol, and it reminds me of Singer. And if you strip away the rest, I think that's kind of what a title needs to be.

48hrs, and I'll approve this. This is a great chance for dissenters to rise.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #571 (isolation #28) » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:56 pm

Post by Oman »

I'm obviously not taking Uberninja's idea into account because he doesn't have a custom title.

I joke, I joke.

I'll post more on it (and the titles) later, but I've no intention of restricting the amount of people that can post here except in extre circumstances (I.e. the reapercharlie affair). Even when I do, that limitation will not be proactive, that is I will extend my hand to anyone in the community, and the onus is on the member to not take advantage of that.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #605 (isolation #29) » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:58 am

Post by Oman »

This is actually turning into a bigger deal than just one title, and it's only fair I give it a better assessment that I could tonight. If I can get to this tomorrow I will, otherwise 2 days. I think this might drive something bigger than just one title though.

This will lead to an abuse of power in one direction or the other, so be prepared for that. However, I'll be reading both sides and using that to base my decision, so please feel free to weigh in. PM inbox is always open for the pee-shy
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #640 (isolation #30) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:53 am

Post by Oman »

Subtle, Reck ;)

I've been reading up on this and trying to give you the most complete answer with all of the history in mind, and here we go:

My primary approach behind titles has always been "By the community for the community" and part of that is accessibility for all (or, as we've grown, for most). Meet based titles are not inherently bad titles, but neither are they inherently good, they are instead inherently
exclusive
. The problem with these types of titles (meet, scumchat, LoL, skype, etc) is that they have a context that cannot be researched, or wouldn't be understood if it could. I remember saying back when Pie's was in discussion that it could be reattacked in a couple of months if it had staying power, but looking back now, it wasn't really about permanence.

To explain the difference between these two (singers and pies): Singer's feels accessible ("Yeah man, she has a habit of drunkposting, then she hosted this meet and someone posted a thread, here I'll link it. Plus she's awesome"), whereas Pie's feels like an inside joke ("He never drinks...except when he does! He never buttfucks...except when he does!").

To put it another way, Singer's joke is like "Where do cows go for entertainment? The mooooovies!" Whereas Pie's feels like "Why do lions get lost? Because Jungle Is Massive."

In post 636, VisMaior wrote:HOw about "meet based titles are ok as long as you adequately detail the joke behind it on the wiki for those who wish to understand". I`d be for that one.
This is a good idea, but not the right execution. VisMaior definitely hits the point that joke needs to be accessible though. However, just putting a story on the wiki does not validate a title.

I'm not saying that meet titles are bad, it's that they need to be accessible and they need to be a representation of that person within the community. They may feel like I'm holding them to a higher standard, but that's simply because to you (the people at the meet) "oh it's so funny and so perfect, why is Oman being a whiny cunt about this?!" Remember, I wasn't there, I need to access the title as much as anyone else.

Finally, if I say we should reattack a title later, and that person stops posting on the site completely for 6 months, well...it gives some interesting context.

So hopefully that lays out the policy a bit more. And hopefully the discussion can continue with a new focus on how we all feel about the title itself.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #654 (isolation #31) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Post by Oman »

In post 645, implosion wrote:
To put it another way, Singer's joke is like "Where do cows go for entertainment? The mooooovies!" Whereas Pie's feels like "Why do lions get lost? Because Jungle Is Massive."

The second joke is funnier than the first.

God I hate it when people run through an entire post and just spin out on one topic.

In post 649, quadz08 wrote:I'm not sure that's the case, re: secondary meaning. If we're looking for titles to be accessible to the whole site or etc, while that obviously makes for a holy-shit-omg-this-title-is-perfect kind of thing, it's just not realistic in the majority of cases. I don't think there's anything wrong with letting down our hair a bit on titles. :P

I agree that not everyone will understand a title these days, we're a little too big for that.

In post 652, Cyberbob wrote:"how far can we bend over backwards to make sure this title goes through and still be able to pretend like we are vaguely consistent"

Considering there have only been two meet-ish titles in my time, and neither of them actually had any policy written around them, there is no "consistency". I think you're just being silly again. It's not necessary in this thread.

In post 641, xRECKONERx wrote:He didn't stop posting completely and once again I am on this site like all the time and I don't ever see singsigner drunkposting and the title doesn't make any sense to me. But I accept the ruling. Now, the title...

She's better than everyone? Why? Because she posts drunk just like TONS of other people do?

I just don't get how this isn't a blatant attempt to shoehorn a title because she hosted a meet. I think singsing has a big site presence but "she drunkposts and this title comes across as kinda arrogant" is NOT the title I would pick.

I agree, I'm not a massive fan of this title myself. That said, the discussion was about the "meet-ism" of the title, which I don't think is the problem.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #663 (isolation #32) » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:03 am

Post by Oman »

Allcaps is super obnoxious in titles, what I wanted to talk about was whether we wanted to take something so inherently "sitewide" and apply it to one guy.

I'm happy with the idea, but like...that tiger joke has been around for years.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #681 (isolation #33) » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:49 pm

Post by Oman »

In post 679, Mr. Flay wrote:
In post 664, xRECKONERx wrote:oman is a skittle now?

In this thread only, he is.

Damn straight. Don't you even think about branching me outside of my comfortable home here ;)
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #687 (isolation #34) » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Post by Oman »

Scum miles already exist for praising exceptional mafia play.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #689 (isolation #35) » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Post by Oman »

Autocorrect. Obv scummies
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #712 (isolation #36) » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:57 pm

Post by Oman »

In post 700, SleepyKrew wrote:
In post 687, Oman wrote:Scum miles already exist for praising exceptional mafia play.

Oh hey, legitimate question, how good is good enough for a title (Sotty/Glork)?

No play is good enough for a title.

Special enough for a title (Sensfan) is a different story.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #898 (isolation #37) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Post by Oman »

Hey dudes,

So I've been out for a few weeks and there have been a few reasons for that. Title Fairy isn't really a "Time Critical" position, so I don't usually nominate someone in my stead. If I did, they would have to have the mod privileges (to do anything effective like delete spam), which means it would likely be a mod...which isn't something that I want to happen. It's a discussion for another time, I think.

In post 885, Om of the Nom wrote:I think we should elect a new one. I don't think Oman has posted on-site in at least a week.

Again, busy as fuck, not neglecting you personally here. I'm happy if you feel you need to nominate a new Fairy though.

In post 886, UberNinja wrote:
In post 922, Om of the Nom wrote:I think we should elect a new one. I don't think Oman has posted on-site in at least a week.

If Oman steps down, I nominate shaft.ed

He always has good comments about titles even if he doesn't suggest too many.
Sounds like a good fit to me.

I have a list of volunteer names. I'm not saying that to stifle the discussion here, but just that posting it in the thread probably isn't the best way to keep it noted. My inbox is always open.

In post 889, Timeater wrote:

The title fairy has nothing to do with the moderation team. :eek:

This is true, but not accurate. Remember that while I'm not part of the moderation team I do have to play by the rules. In the end the title fairy needs to support the moderation team on the whole. However that doesn't mean that Ythan is a bad choice at all, anyone who can present themselves professionally and has an interest would do a decent job.

In post 892, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 938, izakthegoomba wrote:It's still a staff position, chosen by mith. And considering the fairy has total control over very user's title, I'd say it's a pretty important one.

Eh, it's usually chosen by the outgoing title fairy, I think.

Picked by Mith/the mod team is my understanding. I would like to believe that my suggestions are an important part of that, but who really knows.

In post 890, Timeater wrote:I like Oman he's a good guy but isn't it about time for some new blood fairying up the place?

A valid point. I've been Title Fairy for upwards of two years now, I believe. I think I'm still doing a roughly effective job (barring the three times I've had more than a week's absence).

Now for the Titles!

Mattp
Dr Feelgood
was probably the best from this bunch. I like the MDMA references, they weren't bad. If he is doing medicine of some deviation, this rocks.

MoS
Lollipop Guild
I laughed but he'll probably call veto on it.

Kinetic
Hire This Guy
I also lol'd at this. Don't think there was much discussion on it though.

Tazaro
If it walks Like a duck
God no. This guy doesn't need more spotlight, it won't end well.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #906 (isolation #38) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Post by Oman »

In post 904, shaft.ed wrote:you know you like dumb rage Oman
you know it

Oh god, don't I really it. Stupid fucking pun, hilarious though.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #923 (isolation #39) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:45 am

Post by Oman »

Most of the time, yes. I got through periods of up to a month where I really don't. About 2-3 a year.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #952 (isolation #40) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Post by Oman »

How many pages did you skip, bro?
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #954 (isolation #41) » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:42 am

Post by Oman »

Okay, robo, very witty.

You're both done with this now.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #957 (isolation #42) » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:57 am

Post by Oman »

In post 956, Robocopter87 wrote:Titles based on relationships are bad bad bad

Pretty much this, especially when they both have pretty valid titles as is.

Deleted a page or so of posts.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1035 (isolation #43) » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:37 am

Post by Oman »

In post 1007, Ythan wrote:It's like none of you remember any of the pages before the current one.

This

Also everyone shut up and stop being twats. I'll delete posts later but now shutupshutup
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1049 (isolation #44) » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Post by Oman »

In post 1039, saulres wrote:I can't really get into it at the moment, but, skirting site rules, look for his games in the Micro queue.

In post 1045, saulres wrote:
In post 1039, saulres wrote:skirting site rules

Nope, I'm not talking about them. I'm just suggesting a title and suggesting how people can determine for themselves why I suggested it.

This isn't how things should be done. It makes you look silly when you're trying to say things without saying them. Wait a month and suggest it or whatever. If it's a good title, it'll keep.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1068 (isolation #45) » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Post by Oman »

In post 1060, xRECKONERx wrote:I AM A GOD is too clunky and obvious. Godlike is much more subtle and not as HEY LET'S QUOTE THE EXACT LINE THAT HE SAID IN THIS ONE GAME. I'll
2nd Godlike

I agree with Reck, but the kick is pretty big for
I AM A GOD
. I'll let this sit for a bit and await more discussion.

In post 1062, N wrote:Why is Ladies' Night being modded by a guy?

Nominate RedCoyote for
Ladies' Man

Mediocre reason, nice sounding title. I'm going to think on this one too. Someone convince me why modding a game with an ironic theme is worth a title.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1117 (isolation #46) » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Post by Oman »

In post 1136, Timeater wrote:can we get some rulings oman

I'll think on this one, but I'm reading the discussions before I jump in and stifle it by saying "THIS IS/N'T HAPPENING!"
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1119 (isolation #47) » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Post by Oman »

In post 1150, Om of the Nom wrote:Well 12 people have essentially agreed already...

I notice people only have this train of thought when it's their title.

Obviously you're keen to get it, but breathe deep.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1129 (isolation #48) » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:02 am

Post by Oman »

In post 1159, UberNinja wrote:
In post 1157, quadz08 wrote:>_> because he's the title fairy, UN. That is, in fact, his job.

True. But his job is to
give out
titles that are appropriately well liked, not to be some tight-ass Roger Ebert kind of fellow that only deigns to enjoy the "cream of the crop" and bashes everything else. Not saying that's what Oman does, per se, but that's what his last post seemed like.

Perhaps the punctuation threw you.

This is/n't happening is a sentence that can be read as either This is happening, or This isn't happening. The slash provides optional choice, as in "he/she" or "s/he".

You're fucking weird UN, you always seem like you've got some underlying message in every post, just stop trying to impress or insult people, or stop trying to avoid doing those things, and say what you want to say.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1242 (isolation #49) » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Post by Oman »

Shut the fuck up.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1243 (isolation #50) » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Post by Oman »

Okay, that's good for a laugh.

I'll actually be in here with a thorough cleaning this Friday. I'm absolutely swamped at work again this week (like wasn't supposed to happen) and ms as a whole has fallen off.

Expect some stuff on the weekend, decisions and shit.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1302 (isolation #51) » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Post by Oman »

Okay let's start with the rulings, for all those people that just want answers:
Om of the Nom: SpamWow!
No.
Gold Star
I like it, user rejected
Killerjester: Target Practice
I like this. I do want to hear more on it though.
Kdowns: Goddamnit, Kdowns
I don't
the doubleup of the name, but I don't think its a dealbreaker. I like the title idea a lot. If Kdowns approved/denied, I missed it. Mate?
KublaiKhan: Lord of the (Golden) Hoard
Much better than what he's carrying now. Not as much discussion on it as there needs to be. The "whore" variants are just terrible.
Pidgey: Angry Birds
I reeeeeally like this. This is a good, snippy, concise, pop-cultury title that I love.
UN's bunch of suggestions
Nothing really memorable in any of them. Appreciate the effort though.
Izakthegoomba: Mish Mash titles
I like Mishion Imashable enough. Again, need more on this one across the board.

So there have been a few things here about people contributing to discussion about their own titles. The fact is that I wholly support people getting involved, but there is an indistinct line between discussing and campaigning, and Om definitely stepped over that line. I don't want to talk too much on his specific case (I'll get to that later), but I do want it to be very clear that users discussing their titles are definitely welcome and should not be seen to have a negative impact on the process. I think the difference is between being part of the process, and being the process. Remember that Titles are still a "gift" bestowed by the community. Getting to pick your own title shouldn't be the goal, because then people are just letting you play with your toys, not actually showing what you mean to them. Getting your own title is just saying what YOU mean to the community, which is...well it's pretty lame.

In Om's case...well zoraster really nailed it for me: "Right. he rejected it. he just has to understand that the choice he had was Gold Star or Mafia Scum, not Gold Star or something else." Om doesn't really understand that if a title is the community saying "Nice work, bro, here is how we see you", he is saying "No, that's not how you see me. You all see me like this, don't you?! DON'T YOU!?!" The best example is the "potato" comment where everyone else said "You are literally the only person that refers to you as a potato."

Kdowns and the name issue. Well, like I said, I don't enjoy the doubleup of the name, but fuck it, it's part of the joke. I like it. In terms of Flay's hesitation: "Which is not an absolute bar to a title obviously, but gives me extra pause when the shtick is being mostly propagated by people other than the proposed recipient." Actually, having people OTHER than the recipient propagate it makes it even better for me. It's a community joke, it's the people saying "this is funny, you are fun". If it was Kdown's walkaround joke I think it would be a lot more tired.

Older titles. Yes I understand the idea of precedence, but the title fairy policy wasn't designed to be all inclusive or as a ruleset. It's much more about guidance for how we press forward. Titles are a self-moderating thing, because they're about the community. If the community wants titles to be X, then they should gradually move towards X. The big takeaway is that the rules aren't designed to stifle titles, but to guide them (Which were drawn from our community discussions).

Overall, there has been a lot of good discussion lately. The latest cleanup didn't delete NEARLY as many as I used to.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1354 (isolation #52) » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Post by Oman »

In post 1352, realgodfather wrote:hey who deleted my post

it was a valid suggestion

I did, and it wasn't.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1451 (isolation #53) » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Post by Oman »

I've been avoiding this last batch of titles because I've been working on the handover process.

After over two and a half years, several changes to the structure, and a lot of deleted posts, I'm stepping down from Title Fairy. I've had a lot of good support, and a lot of good laughs that made the work that I put in over this time more than worthwhile, however this job needs to evolve with the community, and I'm determined to see that the change occurs in a very real and important way.

I intend to let my successor work his own reveal, but I will say that your next Title Fairy is an excellent man, a great part of this community, and (in all likelyhood) a very successful Fairy-to-be. I hope you show him the same courtesy and honesty that you showed me, including keeping me honest with PMs and abuse ;)

Thanks again for the last few years, ladies and gents, you're an amazing community, and it was my joy to work with you.

Return to “Player Titles”