Cases are anti-town?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Cases are anti-town?

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Post by UberNinja »

Panzerjager brought up the point that chamber thinks cases are scummy, and then chamber comes in and says "wellllll they're anti-town". I disagree entirely, and he won't explain it because he's tired. Somebody convince me of this shit because I am totally incredulous as to how this is even remotely considered valid.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #99 (isolation #1) » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Post by UberNinja »

In post 39, Yosarian2 wrote:I should be clear, though, that when some people say "reactions tests" they mean "I'm going to do something stupid, scummy, and anti-town and see how people react", and that's a terrible idea. Never do something actually anti-town in order to get a reaction, or the reaction will be "all the townies quicklynching you"

Not surprisingly, I too disagree with Yos... as always.

I tend to think reaction tests of doing stupid and/or scummy things are brilliant for helping to find scum. Scum doesn't have reasons to vote townies, so you have to give them reasons to vote townies. If the reason for voting you is better than the reason to vote someone else, they'll vote you.

You just have to a) know the difference between a townie voting you and a scum voting you (Junpei hints at this in #38), so you can get them lynched, b) have the time/patience to explain to people that it was a reaction test, and c) have the street cred to steer the wagon off you before you're quicklynched.

But reaction tests are for another thread, which, entirely coincidentally,
I just made
about ten minutes ago, mostly in response to having returned from Scummer of Love in desperate need of playing more mafia than I am right now (which is very little, and none IRL :(), but also because I want to have something to point to for when newbies ask me why I do what I do when I begin ICing in a week or two.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #100 (isolation #2) » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Post by UberNinja »

Haha. Nice pic. But not to worry, iama. I know how to clean up my act from how you may have seen me play before. I have multiple, very distinct play styles, and I have very little doubt that I'll be an excellent IC thanks to quite a few comments I've gotten thus far, both from newbies and non-newbies.

So my gathering of this thread thus far is that "cases are scummy/anti-town in a sense because they encourage too much logic and not enough gut" is one reason people believe the premise of the thread, and "cases are scummy/anti-town because they tend to encourage walling/quote-stripe rebuttals, depending on the players in the game" is another. The flip side of the argument is that "cases are not scummy in any way; in fact they are necessary to convince more logical-minded scummers of a certain person's guilt where a simple 'that player is scum. just believe me' will just not do".

And those are all valid viewpoints. I just wanted to stimulate some discussion on the topic. If anyone else hasn't said anything on the topic and has a different opinion (or comments on what's transpired thus far) then I encourage them to post their thoughts.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #132 (isolation #3) » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Post by UberNinja »

Not gonna lie, I find myself doing that from time to time.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #134 (isolation #4) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:30 am

Post by UberNinja »

Guess not.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”