Geocaching

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Post by Tierce »

Official Geocaching website
, by the way. (I'm Caeliat, if you want to add me.)

This thread is relevant to my interests. (Surprise.)

I've cached in Portugal, Spain, Scotland, Ireland and the US. And--gasp!--it's much easier after you acquire a GPS unit.

Love to go caching with the fiance at night in the middle of the desert, even when the hints are something like "pile of rocks by yucca". :mad:

Favorite finds so far include a pinecone, a magnetic strip perfectly camouflaged on a roadblock sign, a fake metal plate added to a technical box, a fake rock, a snail shell, a cache called "Well Done or Half Baked" where the container was inside an old oven, and a multi-cache about "heroes, villains and justice" that had a logbook which was essentially a laminated superhero comic book. There is a multi-cache in Edinburgh that took me down the Royal Mile, with intermediary points related to gruesome events in those locations. Macabre, but deliciously fun, and a new way to view the city. I really like the places and stories you go through while seeking a cache.

...in between, way too many film cannisters and altoid cans tucked into impossible locations. And those diabolic nanos that are the size of a fingernail. :igmeou:

Trying to clear as many of the Lisbon caches as I can in the months before I leave the country. It's always a good way to spend an afternoon.
Last edited by Tierce on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #8 (isolation #1) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Post by Tierce »

It was geocaching that took me to (at least one) gorgeous area in Edinburgh that I would have completely missed otherwise--like the Water of Leith Walkway (my own photos still have to be uploaded. /lazy) Gorgeous, gorgeous place. So much green and water; I would love to live in the wetlands, and the beauty of this area really hit home.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #10 (isolation #2) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Post by Tierce »

It is quite big indeed. Density of caches varies according to location and how nuts the local cachers are--yesterday I met four cachers, including one of the most prolific cache placers/finders in the country.

Today I should be able to net quite a few, there is a park 5 miles away with a power trail. :D
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #16 (isolation #3) » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:21 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 10, Tierce wrote:Today I should be able to net quite a few, there is a park 5 miles away with a power trail. :D

Well, there was the power trail on the way there, the power trail in the park itself, several other caches scattered here and there... gotta cache 'em all.

Long story short, was stung by a bee because I was an idiot and poking at pretty flowers without looking
what
I was poking at, walked around during the hottest part of the day, and generally logged lots of caches--35 today, which is my most caches/day so far and puts me over 300 total. Wooo!

...now to fall over. That was a lot of walking on little sleep (because, again, I'm an idiot >.>).
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #35 (isolation #4) » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:16 pm

Post by Tierce »

I'm Caeliat.

Hit 340 yesterday, and attending the Geocoinfest Europe 2012 this weekend; with the events and side stuff, I should break 350 before Monday. \o/
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #38 (isolation #5) » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:39 am

Post by Tierce »

Hit 408 today.

\o/
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #40 (isolation #6) » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Post by Tierce »

453~
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #47 (isolation #7) » Wed May 01, 2013 2:28 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 44, Elmo TeH AzN wrote:Also where's Tierce when I could use her
Here.

I have about 60-70 caches to log, I'm considerably above 700 finds at present. :effort: >.>

I use a Magellan eXplorist GC as a dedicated GPSr, and then my Android has the free and awesome c:geo app.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #49 (isolation #8) » Wed May 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 45, Vi wrote:It is possible to go without a GPS entirely, but geocaching has enough schadenfreude associated with it without flying blind.
I found my first caches like this. However, I do not advise it, it is really quite frustrating and pre-checking things with Google Maps will still lead to a lot of error in the final result. Additionally, it becomes even worse for urban environments, because you are trying to be discreet and have such a huge area to look through in comparison with what a GPSr user would be doing.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #52 (isolation #9) » Wed May 01, 2013 2:44 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 50, Elmo TeH AzN wrote:
In post 47, Tierce wrote:
In post 44, Elmo TeH AzN wrote:Also where's Tierce when I could use her
Here.
Still haven't broken 100 yet. Had a lot happen. But now I'm ready to get back into the swings of things and break out the camelbak
Trying to figure out what you "needed" me for.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #53 (isolation #10) » Wed May 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 51, Vi wrote:I never got c:geo to work. :/
Solved, thanks!
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #56 (isolation #11) » Wed May 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Post by Tierce »

On Android, c:geo is considerably better than the Geocaching.com app, T-Bone. I've tried both, and most reviews say the same.

If you live in an urban area in the US, you're likely to see a lot of LPCs (lamp post skirt caches). The main issue with them is that there is a lot of them and they are your typical parking lot cache; the first few are cool, but they can get old quickly, because there isn't much to appreciate in terms of view/history of the place. If that happens, don't despair--branch out on what you are searching for! There are very original caches out there, just look out for their descriptions and commentary on other users' logs. Keep an eye out for those green areas you never knew existed, geocache hiders have a knack for taking you to cool places you don't know about.

Return to “The Arcade”