Dance of the Title Fairy: ORCA's Greatest Hits

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #575 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Post by Umbrage »

I want to nom Hiraki for something based on his recent posts in videogames centring on him being scared to death of slenderman pictures, Dear Esther, basically everything. Only thing I'm coming up with is
But not TOO scary...
which frankly sucks. Anyone else have a better idea?
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #576 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Post by Quilford »

No, because Hiraki's reasonable fear of scary things is not worthy of a title.
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #577 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Post by Kcdaspot »

but his spastic posting about such things is.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #578 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Post by Quilford »

No, it isn't...
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #579 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:03 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

Since when was spastic posting rewarded?
To be clear: quack
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #580 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:37 am

Post by Umbrage »

I don't see how having a title based on your fear of everything is a reward.
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #581 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:40 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

I didn't know Umbrage had multiple personality disorder.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Isa
Isa
Mafia Scum
Isa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #582 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:19 am

Post by Isa »

In post 580, Umbrage wrote:I don't see how having a title based on your fear of everything is a reward.

Titles are meant as rewards, case closed.
Lär Känna En Isa

(Bork bork, motherfucker.)
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #583 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:33 am

Post by Korts »

It's not so much a reward as an acknowledgement. Users are not dogs doing tricks for titles.

At least I hope not.
scumchat never die
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #584 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:57 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Wait are we really considering meet-based titles after being told point-blank last January that meet-based titles weren't allowed?

And, also, I'm not sure I think of "drunk posting" when I think of singer. Hell, there's a "drunkposting" thread in F62, and the people I think of posting in that thread are Korts, Ythan, and sapo. I don't know if singer has even posted in that thread.

And if she's a notorious drunkchatter in Skype or LoL or scumchat or whatever, that's cool... but I distinctly remember a conversation in this thread about how titles that come from off-site events/groups/communities/social circles can't really work with what titles are supposed to be.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #585 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:59 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 548, Oman wrote:
In post 543, Mr. Flay wrote:It's pretty bad, but it's also kind of funny. I'm torn for once.

I am totally in this position. It's terrible, it's obnoxious, but it makes me lol, and it reminds me of Singer. And if you strip away the rest, I think that's kind of what a title needs to be.

48hrs, and I'll approve this. This is a great chance for dissenters to rise.

You should probably take a step back from being one of the scummers closest to singer and one of her better friends, and think about this from the perspective of someone who hasn't had as much face time with her.

Hell,
I've
had plenty of face time with her and spent a lot of time talking to her and would consider her a good friend, and I don't even think this image of singer being a drunk really fits her, at all.
green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #586 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:02 pm

Post by zoraster »

Yeah. I'm with Reck.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #587 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 586, zoraster wrote:Yeah. I'm with Reck.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #588 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Post by quadz08 »

In post 585, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 548, Oman wrote:
In post 543, Mr. Flay wrote:It's pretty bad, but it's also kind of funny. I'm torn for once.

I am totally in this position. It's terrible, it's obnoxious, but it makes me lol, and it reminds me of Singer. And if you strip away the rest, I think that's kind of what a title needs to be.

48hrs, and I'll approve this. This is a great chance for dissenters to rise.

You should probably take a step back from being one of the scummers closest to singer and one of her better friends, and think about this from the perspective of someone who hasn't had as much face time with her.

Hell,
I've
had plenty of face time with her and spent a lot of time talking to her and would consider her a good friend, and I don't even think this image of singer being a drunk really fits her, at all.

I see where you're coming from with this, and yes, bias blahblahblah. But if anyone would know about her tendency to be post dumbshit things while she's drunk, it's the guy who edits them for her. >_>

Not to mention that the
main drive behind this title
has really nothing to do with Singer's penchant for drinking; rather, it was the thread/post that Brandi made in 62. Meet-related? Yes. Only funny/relatable to people at the meet? Absolutely not.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #589 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:00 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 588, quadz08 wrote:if anyone would know about her tendency to be post dumbshit things while she's drunk, it's the guy who edits them for her. >_>

this is kinda my point.

also -- I wouldn't say a single thread in 62 is enough cause to give a title.
green shirt thursdays
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #590 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Post by quadz08 »

"GD is my wingman"

*shrug*
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #591 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Post by Glork »

In post 589, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 588, quadz08 wrote:if anyone would know about her tendency to be post dumbshit things while she's drunk, it's the guy who edits them for her. >_>

this is kinda my point.

also -- I wouldn't say a single thread in 62 is enough cause to give a title.

Most tiltes come from a single thread/post/game/etc. It doesn't have to be recurring to be memorable.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #592 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 590, quadz08 wrote:"GD is my wingman"

*shrug*

While I don't necessarily agree that a title I got two years ago is accurate for me anymore, at the time, it was a defining characteristic of what I was known for on the forums. GP2 also had a much more widespread community effect, wasn't in F62, and involved a lot more of the community.

Contrast this with a drunken thread Brandi made in F62 that had about three pages of stuff in it and was mostly Brandi & Uberninja posting, not to mention that the original purpose of the thread was meet-specific, something that has been vetoed in the past.

I simply don't think the title has enough traction in forum-specific events and doesn't have enough visibility to be passed appropriately.

If we're going to start awarding titles for one-off meet stuff or one-off threads, there are tons more people who should be getting titles left and right. I think this title only has traction because there's a small, vocal minority of people who know singer or who attended Scummer of Love that want her to get the title, but there's not enough presence on the forums to warrant it.

*shrug*

I'm probably sounding like a dick here, but even outside of the grounds for the title, I think the title itself doesn't fit singer very well.
green shirt thursdays
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #593 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

In post 584, xRECKONERx wrote:Wait are we really considering meet-based titles after being told point-blank last January that meet-based titles weren't allowed?

And, also, I'm not sure I think of "drunk posting" when I think of singer. Hell, there's a "drunkposting" thread in F62, and the people I think of posting in that thread are Korts, Ythan, and sapo. I don't know if singer has even posted in that thread.

And if she's a notorious drunkchatter in Skype or LoL or scumchat or whatever, that's cool... but I distinctly remember a conversation in this thread about how titles that come from off-site events/groups/communities/social circles can't really work with what titles are supposed to be.

btw, can I be on record as thinking these are silly rules?

As the community both grows and ages, many of its older members are retired from mafia and only exist on the site to interact with the other members socially. There is an area in North Carolina where scummers are slowly but steadily moving to, partially (but probably not entirely <.<) to be with other scummers in real life. As the community matures and we reach the point that many of the people on this site have been friends with other scummers for
years
and might date or even marry these scummers, the site is no longer so easily contained within the bounds of mafiascum.net.

A title doesn't have to just be about something memorable that happened on the site. It has the capacity to be about friends bestowing an acknowledgement on other friends about an aspect of their personality that might not even come through on the site as well as it does outside of the site, but might be a truer indicator of their individuality than "posts one-liners a lot" or "did that funny thing in that game that one time". It has the capacity to acknowledge the way the site's userbase has become more familiar with each other, both offline and on.

Why, then, might someone want to give someone a title on the site for something that happened off-site? It's a way to honor the starting point of the relationship, if nothing else. Many couples return to the place of their first date on anniversaries; it's not so unusual that friends would want to acknowledge their friendship by giving them a title on the site they met on. Personally, I know that if mafiascum.net were to be completely decimated tomorrow with no opportunity for any recovery, there are still people I met on this site whom I would talk to on a daily (or near-daily) basis by means outside of the site. That's more than I talk to many of my real-life friends. And if that's the case for me, than I'm sure it must also be the case for at least some other scummers (hi scumchat).

Titles are not for the people new to the site, and I don't think anyone who's been here a while even really cares if people new to the site will be able to understand an older user's title. It's not there for their amusement. There's even a wait time before anyone can receive a title. We don't waste the effort of coming up with a title on someone who's only going to stick around for 8 months, usually. Maybe it's time for the title rules/guidelines to reflect the way people who've been around a while and are committed to the site's community engage with others of the community, because these are pretty much the only people nommed for titles in the first place.

(P.S. In case it wasn't obvious, I support the singer title effort)
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #594 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Post by quadz08 »

In addition to what Esu said:

Reck wrote:there are tons more people who should be getting titles left and right.

I don't see what's wrong with this, honestly. It seems like we're making titles this huuuuge deal when really they just aren't that important. It's not like you're in some special club or something when you get a title. "Was this funny?" "uhhh yeah." "Were there more people who thought it was funny / memorable than me? Let's find out by posting in the TF thread." If answer to question 2 is yes, then, pretty much, boom title. yayyyyyy. I may be in the minority with this thought process, but it just seems like we're taking titles wayyyyy too seriously lately.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
esuriospiritus
they/ask

Post Post #595 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

I'm with you on that. They're not so casual that we let users make their own titles (and I'm of the opinion it should stay that way), but I feel like trying to go all the way to the other end of the spectrum and make it super formal is no good, either.

As with many things in life, we need a happy medium.

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #596 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I wouldn't be so adamant if this exact same thing with the exact same reasons hadn't come up 6 months ago and The Reckoning peeps had been told "nope, not allowed, suck it up"

I totally support a policy change but it needs to be applied evenly and not just to people who happen to be buddies with those making the decisions.
green shirt thursdays
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
esuriospiritus
they/ask

Post Post #597 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

well duh. that's what I brought my torch and pitchfork for.

just in case >_O

singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #598 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Post by singersigner »

Like quadz said, it wasn't originally about it being because I drink a lot. It was because Brandi posted something publicly that was really awesome about the meet, and it so happened to be an awesome suggestion (in my mind) because it made subtle reference to me being drunk a lot via site-connected social things (skype mafia, LoL, scumchat--even the meets I've been to before I was pregnant).

I've probably met more scummers in person than anyone on this site, and care a lot about each and every one of them...it was just nice to think Brandi was acknowledging that in the funniest way possible...I didn't mean for there to be so much drama about it... :?

Preview Edit:
Then maybe try to get the policy changed instead of punishing others? I don't really know that back story as I only poke my head in here once in a blue moon, but I assume that if enough people want to change something, it can be changed...
Glork and quadz08 are my favorite.

I like tomatoes.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #599 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I tried to get the policy changed in January and was shot down. I also don't think anyone is "punishing" you, unless you think not getting a title is "punishment".
green shirt thursdays

Return to “Player Titles”