Amstaad general discussion (almost there!)

Amstaad
was
IS an attempt at a site-written and site-run RPG that started back in the early days of the site.
It is currently being resurrected - inquire within if you want to help or play!
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #23 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 22, ManiacalLemon wrote:Hmmm... Maybe there should be a skill for music xD
I'm working on a character now but I'll probably wait until the rules about magic are released.

Anything a character can do that you want to be a skill can be a skill. You just need to give it a name.

Music, for example, could be worked any number of ways, depending on your intentions with the character:

Perform (Music)
Play [Instrument]
Write Music
Sing
Profession (Musician)
Knowledge (Music)

And so on endlessly. Just think of a word for something that your character can do with music and that's your skill.

DeathNote wrote:@Bub- What do you mean extra? Where are you seeing this?

I think he is referring the extras one can take in loo of a skill point. Let me try to explain as best I can:

Aspects are representive of specific periods of your character's life that allow a player to manipulate rolls in their favor. For example, if your character was a soldier, you could call upon this history in a situation where having a military past might help (Dealing with other soldiers, fighting, etc.) It makes sense that being a soldier would allow you to increase a fighting roll, right?

Extras are more...extra. Things that are added to your character that don't influence your rolls directly. For example, a family heirloom sword isn't standard equipment and you wouldn't otherwise get it. At the same time, having the sword isn't a past event. It is a physical object that you carry around with you. It didn't shape who you are, it is a possession of yours.
Extras could also be things that didn't shape your character so much as a ongoing status. For example, I want my character to be infamous and used an extra in order to allow for people to recognize my character. It doesn't add to any rolls, other people recognizing me isn't anything I would roll for, but the extra serves as a catch-all to let me set her up as infamous. Same for her alcoholism. Her being addicted to alcohol isn't something I can roll for (Alcoholism isn't a skill) but if I want her to be drawn to drinking and be unable to stop once she starts, it is hardly something I'd use to increase any roll either. Thus, an extra.

Now, the two can often go hand-in-hand. You might both have the heirloom sword and have receiving it a hallmark moment in your life and make the sword itself an extra and "Bearer of the Sword of ________" as an aspect that you use when you want to convince someone to trust you (if your family is well-known for being honest folks) or intimidate someone (your family is renowned for their war-making skill) or even swordfighting (You earned the sword by being the best of your family with the blade).

For my character, for example, I have her both have the ongoing addiction as an extra and her history as an alcoholic as an aspect.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #169 (isolation #1) » Wed May 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Post by AniX »

Here's my position: If your aspect could be applied to any other character perfectly, you are doing it wrong.

Ask: How many others sharing your aspect would there be in the world? If the answer is more than handful (unless to point of the aspect is by nature a group aspect[a secret club, a specific gang), your aspect is bad and you should feel bad. The SotC aspect chart Flay posted is good to reference, but go even further.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN

Return to “Amstaad, City of Fate”