Civers unite!!!!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2 (isolation #0) » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:05 pm

Post by Bub Bidderskins »

I love the Civ games. Civ IV was my favorite, though. I'd always pick Mansa Musa and become a cash whore.
Show
Total: 17/15/1
Town: 10/13/1
Scum: 7/2/0
Other: 0/0/0

"Bub Bidderskins-If he's scum, I'll catch him in 2 posts. If he's town, he'll probably be somewhat useful." ~Parama
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (isolation #1) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:54 am

Could we set up a play by email game so we don't have to work around people's schedules?
Show

"Bub Bidderskins-If he's scum, I'll catch him in 2 posts. If he's town, he'll probably be somewhat useful." ~Parama
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (isolation #2) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:09 am

In post 12, Nero Cain wrote:Civ 3 was easy. I'd just use the Romans and kill everyone. Its one of my fave in game memories, I was playing the world map and had total control of Australia. The Greeks had conquered all of Africa so when they declared war against me I thought I was fucked. I built a massive navy and blockaded all of their ports then I started landing my legionaries and ended up beating them into submission.

Quadz-When would you be able to play?

Bud-can you explain what exactly is a play by email game?
I don't know if you can still do it in V since I don't have it, but basically what you do is you complete your turn, and then email it to whoever's turn is next. I've never tried it so I don't know exactly how to set it up, but I'm sure it's pretty simple. This does mean that games can take a very long time, but you don't have to worry about schedules/time zones/etc.
Show

Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (isolation #3) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:12 am

I did a little digging and found this forum post explaining PBEM:
Wow! Ten responses and nobody answered his question. I will do my best. It's pretty simple.

1. Start game. Click multiplayer, click PBEM, click New game.

2. Type in a game name at the top left corner. Call it whatever you like. The game will automatically use this name for all saved games. Type in an admin password in the top right corner. Let's pretend you called the game "friend".

3. The first line of players should be called "administrator". Click on the little computer to the left of that name. Now you can fill in all your information. Give yourself a name, blah blah blah, type in your e-mail, your password, and your SMTP information. The e-mail is there because the game knows to send you the game when his turn is over with. It's a neat little feature. The SMTP is there so when you hit end turn, the game will automatically send the game to your friend through your e-mail without you having to e-mail it to him manually. I personally don't use this feature but some people do.

4. The next line should be called "player". Click on the little computer to the left of that name. Now fill in all your friend's information. If you don't know his SMTP and his password then no problem, he can fill that out on his turn by hitting the escape key, then clicking on "your information". Let's call your friend Dave.

5. The next line should be called "player". This is where you can either put some AI players in the game or close them all to make it a two player game.

6. To the right of both your names is the word "random". This is where you choose your civ and leader, as well as your friend's civ and leader. You can also go random.

7. At the bottom of the page is where you customize the game. I'm sure you know what settings you want.

8. Now you click the bottom right button called "launch". The game is now started!

9. When you are done with your turn hit the little flashing red light near your minimap to signify you are done with the turn. If you entered your SMTP information and your friend's e-mail, then game will ask you if you want to e-mail it to him. If you do, then hit yes. Your friend now has the e-mail in his inbox. If you hit no, then exit to desktop.

10. Go to your civ4 folder. Mine is called: c:/programfiles/Firaxis Games/Sid Meir's Civilization 4/_civ4saves/pbem. In there you will find a brand new folder called "friend". Remember, that's what we called this game. In that folder is a file called friend_BC_4000_to_Dave. Simply e-mail him that game.

11. The first time your friend gets the save he will not have a a folder is his save folder called "friend". He will want to double click the file from his e-mail and the game will launch. After he is done with his turn and he hits end turn, the game will generate the "friend" folder in his save folder. He entered his SMTP info then he can send the file to you from the game. If he didn't enter his SMTP info, he can find the save in his new folder. He can e-mail the save to you from there.

12. It helps to make a shortcut to the friend folder and put it on your desktop. That's what I do.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you need anymore help. Oh and another thing, if you look towards the top of the multiplayer page here on the civfanatics forum you will notice a link called PBEM. Go there to find more PBEM games.
Show

Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (isolation #4) » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:13 pm

I always hate it in BTS when your ally turns the enemy that you've almost completely destroyed into a vassal that you can't attack anymore.
Show

Return to “The Arcade”