How can you tell when a set up is balenced?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

How can you tell when a set up is balenced?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:31 am

Post by Fircoal »

IS there any way to tell when a set up is balanced?
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:34 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

No. Not for certain. Even after the game has ended.

The best you can do is use your experience, and ask others for their opinion. If you post in the Set-up Review thread, someone will offer to help. I'll always give my opinion on a Large Normal Game if I'm asked. I'm a bit too busy at the moment to help out on other games.
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:36 am

Post by Fircoal »

Mr Stoofer wrote:No. Not for certain. Even after the game has ended.

The best you can do is use your experience, and ask others for their opinion. If you post in the Set-up Review thread, someone will offer to help. I'll always give my opinion on a Large Normal Game if I'm asked. I'm a bit too busy at the moment to help out on other games.
I already know about the Set-up review thread, but thanks for your input.
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:50 am

Post by Jack »

Well, you can make sure that no one person can have a huge effect on the game. For example, I played in a game once which had a cop who could investigate two people a night and roleblock them at the same time...lol. Bad idea.
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:14 am

Post by Fircoal »

Jack wrote:Well, you can make sure that no one person can have a huge effect on the game. For example, I played in a game once which had a cop who could investigate two people a night and roleblock them at the same time...lol. Bad idea.
What about a mafia person who knows all of the roles and can roleblock 2 people, and still keeps their NK.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:51 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

We sort of had that in Switch Mafia, where the scum could disable two out of three of the cop, doc, and vig, without knowing who they were.

It was criticized that this made the game practically vanilla. Some roles (cop and usually the vig) will just always be the block choices.

You can go a long way balancing a setup by looking at the most extreme directions the game can go. I always look at the best and worst case scenarios for the town and scum. If any possible result looks ridiculously unfair, then it's probably not balanced well.
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:13 am

Post by Fircoal »

Kelly Chen wrote:We sort of had that in Switch Mafia, where the scum could disable two out of three of the cop, doc, and vig, without knowing who they were.

It was criticized that this made the game practically vanilla. Some roles (cop and usually the vig) will just always be the block choices.

You can go a long way balancing a setup by looking at the most extreme directions the game can go. I always look at the best and worst case scenarios for the town and scum. If any possible result looks ridiculously unfair, then it's probably not balanced well.
Sorry, for being noobish but how do look at the most extreme directions, when you have many different roles it might be hard.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:17 am

Post by Fuldu »

Well, one place to start is to think about what would be the worst thing that could happen the first night for each group. Usually these are pretty unlikely outcomes, but they're certainly possible. If any group (leaving out singles like SK or, for N1 anyway, cult leaders) can be put in a position where luck of the draw could have them start the game totally outmatched, it's probably not a balanced set up.

You can do the same thing for subsequent days and nights, but it generally becomes too difficult to track, and also, by that time, if the worst possible thing happens to a group on a particular night, it's probably as a result of something they've done wrong, not luck of the draw.
It takes a village to raise a lynch mob.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:19 am

Post by Yaw »

I normally do a basic check by assuming every role that can kill will do so at every opportunity, and that they'll all hit pro-town players. That tells me the minimum number of days the game could run, which is also the number of chances the town has to kill scum. I find it's best if the town gets around 3 to 4 chances before the game ends. Two chances is ok, but I personally think it's a bit too few.

Otherwise, just try to get an impression of how roles might interact. This is more where experience comes in, though, and you'll find each mod has a different opinion on relative strengths of roles. (I would rarely if ever include a role that couldn't be killed at night, for example, as I've played in such roles before and found them to be game-breaking. Others have had different experiences with that sort of role.) Even for the most experienced of us, though, there are going to be interactions we don't anticipate. (In the first game I modded, there was an insane cop and a mafia framer. They both targetted the same person the first two nights, giving the cop an innocent results. Then on the third night, the cop targetted the godfather, and of course got a guilty. I don't think anyone could have seen that one coming.)

The last thing to look at is the actual role names, and details you give in PMs. Make sure that the scum have the ability to reasonably claim roles that will seem pro-town. You don't want a situation like in The Hobbit Mafia where all the pro-town roles had important role names, and the scum had to make claims like "random hobbit down the street from Bilbo". It makes scum far too easy to pick off.
Success breeds suspicion
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:36 am

Post by Fircoal »

ok I see your first modding game was good for the insane cop. I'm modding a game, and I can tell which of the odd roles, I'm not going include. I haven't tried giving out role names yet, but I might.
Fircoal strikes me more like an awful fake claim that gets you lynched in under 25 posts. - Kelly Chen
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Like Yaw, I work out the worst case scenarios for each side, then consider how likely that it, and then consider how bad that scenario is.

if that game is (barring freak eventualities) still winnable by either side after several days, then that's the best you can hope for, in most cases.

I also often design games by strating with a game that has finished, which was shown to be balanced, and tinkering with that.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”