A Pie Vig Rant! (tm)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Pie_is_good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Massclaim_is_Good

A Pie Vig Rant! (tm)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:09 pm

Post by Pie_is_good »

That's right, kids, it's time for another schooling on vig theory from Pie.

"But Pie," you say, "You've already been so incredibly right on two occasions, what possibly could be left for you to be right about?"

And I say to you, shut the hell up and be more patient. I'll get there eventually.

The topic this time:
Viges should be directed by the town at the end of every day.

This is based off a similar principle as the other two vig rants - The vig role should be treated as simulating a lynch, rather than an independant but town-interested killer. The town's attempt at vig-directing, except potentially in endgames, will be about as accurate as the vig's attempt (more opinions and observations is a plus, group including scum is a minus). It will yield the same information as a lynch, even if that information comes a day later. The town is also more likely to direct away from power roles.

A straight-up vig kill, on the other hand, yields less information - the death was not discussed, and all opinions thereof are taken postmortem. The shot is more likely to hit power roles - an individual is more likely to miss breadcrumbing or generally have less information than a town pooling their knowledge.

It improves accuracy of the vig and information given to the town (when there is a vig, practically 2 lynches per day), at very little cost. The major drawback is Mafia Doctors and Un-NKable scum roles, but both are relatively uncommon, similar roles exist on the town's side, and neither outweigh the benefits.

Conclusion: Pie is right again.

Pie
I am a stand-up dude of genuine flyness.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:27 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

You went with this? This is nothing. I believe I offered you these superior suggestions in chat:

1. Protown players should spend most of their time campaigning for doc protection

2. The town should repeatedly vote NL until lylo

3. Vigs should suicide N0 if allowed
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:02 pm

Post by Patrick »

I agree with what pie said. That was easy.
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:07 pm

Post by IH »

Pie I can't believe it! You were right again! What else can you be right about?

:grin:
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Turbovolver
Turbovolver
Mafia Scum
Turbovolver
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:00 pm

Post by Turbovolver »

But that's no fun...
Primate
Primate
Mafia Scum
Primate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Post by Primate »

If the town picks someone I don't think is scum, then I'm not going to vig them. Not to mention the fact that this entire discussion would make it
so
easy to pick out the vig it's silly.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:31 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Primate wrote:If the town picks someone I don't think is scum, then I'm not going to vig them.
Truth.

Anyway, are you suggesting that the town do this after a vig is out, or when a vig is suspected to exist, or basically every day that a vig might exist? Becasue at least discussing/suggesting the vig target after the vig is out is pretty common practice, AFAIK.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:06 pm

Post by Fritzler »

i disagree sir, but ill defend to the death your right to say it

unless i kill you at night
Surfs up dude.
Pie_is_good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Massclaim_is_Good

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:11 pm

Post by Pie_is_good »

Primate wrote:If the town picks someone I don't think is scum, then I'm not going to vig them. Not to mention the fact that this entire discussion would make it
so
Not really. All the town has to do is decide on two lynches before the day is up, and the vig will carry out one of said lynches. It would be cause for no more vig-pointery than any other lynch would, if executed properly.

And I believe I just spent a first post disagreeing with your first sentence.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:34 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

On the other hand, the vig has some information in knowing he himself is protown, and also the scum don't have any direct control over the vig's personal preference.
klebian
klebian
Mafia Scum
klebian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:02 pm

Post by klebian »

Pie_is_good wrote:
Primate wrote:If the town picks someone I don't think is scum, then I'm not going to vig them. Not to mention the fact that this entire discussion would make it
so
Not really. All the town has to do is decide on two lynches before the day is up, and the vig will carry out one of said lynches. It would be cause for no more vig-pointery than any other lynch would, if executed properly.

And if town picks the vig?
HezLucky
HezLucky
HEZZZZZWAVRE
HezLucky
HEZZZZZWAVRE
HEZZZZZWAVRE

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:48 pm

Post by HezLucky »

um...hello? fake claims?
The following people own: Pie, Fritz, Inhim

The greatest mafia game ever: http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18080
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:49 pm

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

I'm still gonna kill you at night, Pie, and there's nothing you can do about it.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:44 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

This conversation is evidence of the validity of Stoofer's 3rd law -- a vig power in the wrong hands (e.g. mine -- I've never vigged scum yet) can cause more damage to the town than benefit.
Primate
Primate
Mafia Scum
Primate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:32 pm

Post by Primate »

Pie_is_good wrote:
so

When you have that many people talking about the correct way to use a role, for that amount of time, the way people act will give it away, even if it's by the way that several non-vigs act, and not just a carefree vig. It's idealistic.

Also, If I think someone is town and the power is entirely in my hands to kill that someone, then why would I kill someone I think is town? for information, you say. So, what you're saying is that you think that the additional information gained via a the voting pattern leading up to lynch is a decent substitute for the life of a townie. I disagree.

Of course, you're entirely justified in saying that I'm being a little egotistical, thinking my opinion is worth more than that of the town. Thing is, though, if I'm going to vig someone, I will do several hours of playstyle research, and will reread the thread several times, making damn sure that my opinion on that person isn't fleeting, and that I really am as sure as I think I am. I make sure that my opinion is more informed and well thought out than anyone else in the game. Then, unless I'm 80%+ sure, I still don't vig them. Azwolging is fun and all, but it's also really selfish.

I think the only 'duty' a vig has to a town, the only real need it can easily fill for a town, is clearing away people who are near certain lynches in the future, even over people it thinks are scum. This is the only circumstance I can think of offhand where I'd vig someone I don't think pro-town. This doesn't come up often though, a lot happens overnight, and people are calmer at the beginning of a new day. But anyway.

I guess this is kind of similar to the question 'If you were a governer, would you stop the lynch on someone you thought pro-town'? I probably would, especially if we had had another lynch previous.
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:33 am

Post by Fircoal »

I argee more with Pie.
Fircoal strikes me more like an awful fake claim that gets you lynched in under 25 posts. - Kelly Chen
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:07 am

Post by Thesp »

Pie_is_good wrote:The topic this time:
Viges should be directed by the town at the end of every day.
Of course. 'Cause then you look at the people who weren't directing the vig, and logic dictates those people must be scum. ;)
Mr Stoofer wrote:This conversation is evidence of the validity of Stoofer's 3rd law -- a vig power in the wrong hands (e.g. mine -- I've never vigged scum yet) can cause more damage to the town than benefit.
I would argue that killing (particularly vigging) unconfirmeds who happen to be town may not be inherently bad.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Pie_is_good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Massclaim_is_Good

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:37 am

Post by Pie_is_good »

klebian wrote: And if town picks the vig?
Well, the prospective vig target would claim first just as any lynchee would. If the town picks a vig in this manner, it should be treated as any lynch would (see: viewtopic.php?t=3499)
HezLucky wrote:um...hello? fake claims?
Hi! and what about them?
Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:I'm still gonna kill you at night, Pie, and there's nothing you can do about it.
Kill you first!
Mr Stoofer wrote:This conversation is evidence of the validity of Stoofer's 3rd law -- a vig power in the wrong hands (e.g. mine -- I've never vigged scum yet) can cause more damage to the town than benefit.
'zactly. Which is why the target should be decided by everyone; not just a potentially suck-vig.
Primate wrote:When you have that many people talking about the correct way to use a role, for that amount of time, the way people act will give it away, even if it's by the way that several non-vigs act, and not just a carefree vig. It's idealistic.
Which is exactly why the conversation doesn't go that way. Just "lynch" two people each day, except don't actually lynch one of them. The most suspicious dies by lynching, the second is the theoretical vig's target.
primate wrote:Also, If I think someone is town and the power is entirely in my hands to kill that someone, then why would I kill someone I think is town? for information, you say. So, what you're saying is that you think that the additional information gained via a the voting pattern leading up to lynch is a decent substitute for the life of a townie. I disagree.
Your first half is correct, but you draw a wildly wrong conclusion. I'm saying two things--
-The decision that the town makes is more accurate than the decision you (the vig) will make
-The decision that the town makes yields more information than the decision you (the vig) will make

...Your ending sentence implies 100% accuracy on the part of the vig, which is completely unrealistic.
Primate wrote:Of course, you're entirely justified in saying that I'm being a little egotistical, thinking my opinion is worth more than that of the town. Thing is, though, if I'm going to vig someone, I will do several hours of playstyle research, and will reread the thread several times, making damn sure that my opinion on that person isn't fleeting, and that I really am as sure as I think I am. I make sure that my opinion is more informed and well thought out than anyone else in the game. Then, unless I'm 80%+ sure, I still don't vig them. Azwolging is fun and all, but it's also really selfish.
Then you are a very informed vig; good for you. Feel free to contribute that kind of effort to the town, but the fact remains - multiple opinions will be more accurate than your opinion alone, and if you make decisions defying the crowd just because you, personally, disagree - I think
that's
being a little egotistical.
Primate wrote:I think the only 'duty' a vig has to a town, the only real need it can easily fill for a town, is clearing away people who are near certain lynches in the future, even over people it thinks are scum. This is the only circumstance I can think of offhand where I'd vig someone I don't think pro-town. This doesn't come up often though, a lot happens overnight, and people are calmer at the beginning of a new day. But anyway.
Yes, I'd agree. In fact, I'd argue that that's the only thing the vig should do - shoot after future lynches. Which is why telling the vig where the future lynches are likely to be is a good move.
Primate wrote:I guess this is kind of similar to the question 'If you were a governer, would you stop the lynch on someone you thought pro-town'? I probably would, especially if we had had another lynch previous.
I vaguely considered writing about that once. I'd say the governor role should be played like a townie, except in the case of quicklynches.

[win]
Fircoal wrote:I argee more with Pie.
[/win]
Thesp wrote:I would argue that killing (particularly vigging) unconfirmeds who happen to be town may not be inherently bad.
I completely agree. In scenarios in which you can be reasonably sure that even a confirmed will be lynched the next day, I'd argue it's sometimes worth shooting confirmeds as well. (see: viewtopic.php?t=3499)
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:33 pm

Post by IH »

My actual stance on this is to let the vig kill anonymously until the vig is claimed.

Of course this may defeat the purpose of that whole rant.
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that

Return to “Mafia Discussion”