Stoofer's 3rd Law

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:10 pm

Post by Adele »

Mr Stoofer wrote:
Adele wrote:I certainly agree that:
-> All roles (pretty much) have some cost.
-> They should also have a benefit.
-> But the benefit suffers from diminishing returns under Stoofer's law at a greater rate than the costs do.
-> Thus as amount and complexity of roles increases (complexity within roles also, such as a commuter has a greater effect here than a bulletproof), the town's power increases more slowly and may eventually be harmed.
I <3 Adele.
>.>
<.<

QFT

/flees
ubertimmy
ubertimmy
Goon
ubertimmy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:46 pm

Post by ubertimmy »

Yosarian2 wrote: Say a roleblocker uses his ability at random night zero. Let's also say that this is a 12 person mini game with more town power then average, with a cop, a doc, a vig, a roleblocker, with 3 person mafia, and a SK.

The vig probably shouldn't do anything night zero anyway, so if you block him, no big deal.

So there's a 1/12 chance you prevent the cop from one investigation, which stops the town from getting an investigation off, but also means that the cop can confirm your claim later if needed. Small - for the town.

There's a 1/12 chance of blocking the doc, but he's only got a 2/12 chance of stopping a kill night zero, so the odds of stopping a doc from saving someone is only 2/144. Not worth worrying about.

There's a 2/12 chance that you'll stop either a scum kill or a SK kill, and either way you both prevent a kill (more likely then not a kill on a good guy), and once you figure out that there's usually two kills, you also might have a pretty good idea you might have blocked a scum night 1. Huge + for the town.

So even on night zero, with no information, a random roleblock is more likely then not the right decision for the town.
I just want to say this logic has got me lynched as protown roleblocker in scumchat multiple times. :( People need to learn that Night 0 blocks are GOOD things.
Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:26 am

Post by Zindaras »

You can pull off all kinds of math on roleblocking or not roleblocking Night 0, but I think that roleblockers and other roles that are double-edged (can mess up scum and town) are always more fun when used Night 0. Except vigs or one-shots, those not.
Show
Finished: 159 (120 Town, 33 Mafia, 5 Other, 1 Cult, 4 Cultivated)
68 Wins, 71 Losses
Town: 52 Wins, 54 Losses (2 Wins as Cult)
Mafia: 13 Wins, 15 Losses (1 Win as Cult)
Other: 3 Wins, 1 Loss (1 Win as Cult)
Cult: 0 Wins, 1 Loss
Cultivated: 4 Wins, 0 Losses
59 Survived, 31 Lynched, 60 Killed
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:23 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Pie would disagree.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:33 am

Post by Fiasco »

I think it's hard to justify not vigging N1. Mafia is a race between the town's more-or-less random lynching and the mafia's nonrandom nightkills. Most setups would be skewed toward the town if they were nightless. Vigging makes the game closer to nightless.
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:52 am

Post by Patrick »

Fiasco wrote:I think it's hard to justify not vigging N1. Mafia is a race between the town's more-or-less random lynching and the mafia's nonrandom nightkills. Most setups would be skewed toward the town if they were nightless. Vigging makes the game closer to nightless.
I disagree with blind vigging on a first night. I also don't think that a town's lynch is more or less random, not if the town is any good.
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face
remussaidow
remussaidow
Goon
remussaidow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:59 am

Post by remussaidow »

if you blind vig on night 1, you not only seriously risk getting a town power role, you're also letting the mafia know that you're there. A good part of the vig is the surprise attack.
Now, life is civilized. Once there was a city, barbaric in its ways. Yet, they were an empire. But even before that, they were two brothers. They fought. Remus said ow, and it all began.
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:33 am

Post by Fiasco »

Fiasco wrote:Most setups would be skewed toward the town if they were nightless.
I half take this back. 3:9 is only 50-50, for example. Still not awful, and you have to take into account the vig not killing himself. (Town lynches possibly being better than random should already have been included in the balance for the game as a whole.)
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:41 am

Post by Thesp »

remussaidow wrote:if you blind vig on night 1, you not only seriously risk getting a town power role, you're also letting the mafia know that you're there. A good part of the vig is the surprise attack.
A known vig does make counterclaiming by scum far less likely.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:48 am

Post by Zindaras »

Thestatusquo wrote:Pie would disagree.
Pie is right as far as math goes, but I disagree with it ethically. I don't like dying Night One, and to kill someone because the maths say it's a slightly better option I don't like either.
Show
Finished: 159 (120 Town, 33 Mafia, 5 Other, 1 Cult, 4 Cultivated)
68 Wins, 71 Losses
Town: 52 Wins, 54 Losses (2 Wins as Cult)
Mafia: 13 Wins, 15 Losses (1 Win as Cult)
Other: 3 Wins, 1 Loss (1 Win as Cult)
Cult: 0 Wins, 1 Loss
Cultivated: 4 Wins, 0 Losses
59 Survived, 31 Lynched, 60 Killed
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:51 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

More days = more information = better lynches. The math doesn't account for that. Vigging for the sake of vigging is bad.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:21 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:More days = more information = better lynches. The math doesn't account for that. Vigging for the sake of vigging is bad.
Agreed.

Also, lynches create information, based on who was on the bandwagon, who supported the bandwagon, who opposed it, ect. Nightkills create much less information then lynches. More nightkills means less lynches, which is bad for the town.

Of course, it depends on the number of kills there already are; if there's just one town and one scum group, then two vig kills=1 less lynch, and not incidentaly 1 less night for cops and to investigate, a pretty high cost to the town, so your kill had better be a lot better then random to make it worthwhile.

On the other hand, if there's already like 10 kills a night (say, Checkmate mafia as an example) one more's not going to speed the game much.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:45 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

My experiences as player and mod have actually led me to the exact opposite conclusion as Stoofer. The basic theory behind it seems to be that one of the mafia’s main strengths being that they are “informed” working against the “uninformed”. So as the number and complexity of Pro-Town power roles is increased, the mafia lose this advantage. As a result, the balance moves against them. There’s probably more to it than that, and I’d like to respond to this thread more fully, but I don’t really have the time for a bit.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:24 am

Post by Adele »

I think that, at the least, more power roles make balance less predictable, and playout scenarios more potentially extreme; there may be town wins or scum wins much earlier than one would expect from a balanced scenario (do few players making it to endgame point to a balanced setup, or just a GG?)
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:34 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

EmpTyger wrote:My experiences as player and mod have actually led me to the exact opposite conclusion as Stoofer. The basic theory behind it seems to be that one of the mafia’s main strengths being that they are “informed” working against the “uninformed”. So as the number and complexity of Pro-Town power roles is increased, the mafia lose this advantage. As a result, the balance moves against them. There’s probablyfor the S more to it than that, and I’d like to respond to this thread more fully, but I don’t really have the time for a bit.
The reason why I disagree is that it is
much
easier Scum to figure out what is going on. They know which kills are theirs and which kills were not. They know which claims are true and which are not. etc etc
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:18 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Well, it's always easier for the mafia to figure out what's going on, but what the mafia knows isn't as important as what the town knows. The best that can do is to improve their kill choices, whereas the more the town knows, the better their lynches get, and the better all of their night actions get; roleblocks, vigs, investigations, re-directs, or flying pumpkins. Not only that, if the town is confused having trouble who to believe, then they can often figure out a way to use their complex roles to answer questions about who is telling the truth.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:40 pm

Post by Rainbow Brite »

stoofer's 3rd law applies when people overcompensate, particularly with "bastard-modding", for the addition of extra power. the law isn't in and of itself meaningful - it's all about balance, which becomes increasingly difficult as the game gets more saturated, and the approach of the meta to balancing saturated games.
hey, a sig!
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:55 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Rainbow Brite wrote:it's all about balance, which becomes increasingly difficult as the game gets more saturated, and the approach of the meta to balancing saturated games.

The point of Stoofer's 3rd Law is to make mods think: will adding [role] to the game really help the Town? Or will it make it more difficult and confusing, due to (amongst other things) unanticipated interactions between pro-town power roles?
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:48 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Mr Stoofer wrote:The point of Stoofer's 3rd Law is to make mods think: will adding [role] to the game really help the Town? Or will it make it more difficult and confusing, due to (amongst other things) unanticipated interactions between pro-town power roles?
now that raises an interesting question - you're implying the former is a good thing and the latter is a bad thing, which i don't think is
necessarily
true. i'm not a fan of the spiderweb nightgame, but some people appear to be.

what is the purpose of town roles? that's probably worthy of a thread w/ poll in its own right... :D
hey, a sig!
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:54 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

I wasn't meaning to raise any interesting questions. In my response "more difficult and confusing" = more difficult and confusing for the Town = moving the game balance in favour of the Scum.

It's up to the mod to decide whether he wants to make life harder or easier for the Town. My only point is: don't think that adding that [elaborate power-role] will necessarily move the game balance towards the Town; it might move it the other way, especially if you already have loads of other elaborate power-roles.
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:11 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

yeah, i was being tangential - that's ok isn't it?
hey, a sig!
MightyFireball
MightyFireball
Goon
MightyFireball
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:58 am

Post by MightyFireball »

Ah Stoofer's third law. I see what both sides are saying here, but I don't think that, neccissarily, adding more power roles will help or hurt the Town. There is a balance in between, and it is the Mod's job to find that balance.
[color=orange][b] MIGHTYFIREBALL [/b][/color]
[color=green][i]An optimist believes that the world is as good as it can be Unfortunately, a pessimest believes the same thing; War is not the answer[/i][/color]
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:32 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Isn't that what I said?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”