[REVIEW] Open Setup Reviews

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #131 (isolation #0) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:00 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Not sure how I feel about Bad Tweed as a setup, but having played in one of the games where it was run, I can say a lot of bad town lost a game that was pretty winnable. (And me failing to claim with 2 innocent results because of the tailor aspect and one of those results ultimately getting lynched.)
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #133 (isolation #1) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:37 am

Post by Zachrulez »

It's funny cause in that game I really didn't think much about how to play the setup, I was playing more of a scumhunting game. The one scum we did lynch we actually lynched over suggesting hypocop innocent results. (Which was felt would make it easier to find the actual cop (s) due to scum's inside knowledge.)
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #148 (isolation #2) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:24 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 140, GreyICE wrote:If scum have lost two or three members and HAVEN'T earned any town cred they deserve their loss.

That being said all nightless setups that size suffer from the same thing - the more scum get lynched, the longer the game goes. 7:4 can be done in 3 lynches, but if one is scum, it takes 5, and then if another one hits scum it takes 7. Third scum? 9. It gets more and more and more painful for the scum and the town.

Hey GreyICE, read this game and suggest to me how you would counter the problem we faced in this game.

You get to lylo, scum lynch, BAM, town gets two more. Happened more than once there.

Edit: Setup's not 8-4 nightless, but I think it illustrates the point all the same.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #514 (isolation #3) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:03 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Is there a reason the game starts with an even number with a night start? Would it not work as a 13 or 15p game with a daystart? I really dislike night starts, you're basically asking someone to sign up who is going to end up not playing.

Also in regards to the bloodlust mechanic, it seems a lot simpler to me to just force the town to lynch and the scum to kill. As it stands the game can sit completely inert for 2 days and night phases. I don't see that being fun for anyone. At the very least the punishment factor should come into play immediately after no lynching or killing.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #523 (isolation #4) » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:12 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 518, pieceofpecanpie wrote:Hmmm, well that seems like a bit of a bugger.

I don't want people playing a game where there's a contention that winning or losing is based heavily on luck.

I think the mechanic is a refreshing way to change up how scum are expected to perform NK's and also changes the way town approach the game. I like the inherent risk with NK's, it means scum need to work more for them, I also like town having to rely on their strengths as players, rather than any expectation of abilities that they may or may not have.

However, with this concern over it's current form I'm losing confidence at running it. If it's not fun then it's not worth it.

(@T-Bone Yeah, it is weird, but the idea is that a tracker can retroactively track their killer, or the rolecop.)
Well it is an open setup so you can't really say that anyone that agrees to play the setup doesn't know what they're getting into.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”