Town won 46% of Matrix 6 games

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Post by talah »

That's a bit hyperbolic.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (isolation #1) » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:29 pm

Post by talah »

Just to clarify, I *do* think there is a problem with replacements at MafiaScum, and especially in Newbie games, and *especially* with newer players, which I think exacerbates the problem for SE's and IC's, because let's face it, the main cause of replacing out of any Mafia game is FRUSTRATION.

And before anyone takes the light-hearted version of that as the truth of it all, that can pretty quickly lead to issues with mental health.

If you try to make MafiaScum some kind of elitist-oriented -we-should-stigmatise-unwanted-behaviour- community, -- as opposed to the slightly more correct but still euclidian -we-should-not-accept-unacceptable-behaviour-, then I think MafiaScum is actually being quite backwards. (Please note the "If" at the start of that sentence.) When it comes down to it, there probably should be some kind of penalty periods for replacing out out of games which make people think twice about doing it, especially for first-time players. Players who have been around for longer should be expected to give a *damn good reason* for replacing out if they wish to avoid a penalty, and that might be something that is subject to review by someone other than the mod, and also not something which is subject to first-decision-is-final-type penalties.

People who hang around this joint long enough, ARE a part of the community. You/(let me say it, "we") just need to be inclusive and fair, and consistent. And reasonable. So we need to start with rules which are clear-cut, and they shouldn't be overly onerous, and they should take into account personal circumstances if a person wishes to challenge a penalty.

And I'm just going to say it: three strikes and you're out is the scummiest fucking idea that the great nation of USA has ever adopted. The problem is that the number three has nothing to do with anything except a mechanism for permanent bans for reasons which don't have to be explained further. So don't do it. People as opposed to spambots are people and deserve second chances. Penalties sure. But permanency is not a thing.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (isolation #2) » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:33 pm

Post by talah »

Yeah cabds take is hyperbolic comparing replacing out of a game to a death in the family.

My last post didn't consider your post, so reading.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (isolation #3) » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:41 pm

Post by talah »

Tierce wrote:There's no excuse for replacing out outside of a real life emergency. An emergency. Something that could not have been predicted and that is actually hindering your ability to make time for this responsibility, not "hey I just remembered I am spending the summer elsewhere so I have to replace out".
Plan your schedule and know yourself. Not just how much time you think you have, but how much psychological stamina you have to handle a game where apathy is a real power and a tool. There's no shame in not signing up to play, but there's quite a bit of shame in being refused entrance to a game because you have a flaking history.
Yeah this cannot be the hard and fast case. There's no way to pre-assess the psychological impact of a psychological game. Sure you might get better at handling that aspect of things but it's not the only aspect of why a person might replace, either.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (isolation #4) » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 pm

Post by talah »

What if I have a death in the family, is that a good reason to replace out?
What if out of nowhere my boss challenges my work performance, " " ?
What if I break up with my girlfriend, " " ?
What if I'm severely frustrated by the game, " " ?
What if I'm just frustrated by the game, " " ?
What if I'm not having fun anymore and want to fuck off from this game, " " ?

Etc etc, obviously the " " in each example is just "is that a good reason to replace out"
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (isolation #5) » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:22 pm

Post by talah »

Agreed on the last paragraph.

Although I think probably the first four are legitimate, the last three should have a shortish (couple of weeks?) game-joining sanction unless challenged, and the boss and girlfriend examples really deserve judgement calls from admin and token signup embargos.

Something like that so as to prevent excessive replacing but take into consideration the onus on players to be responsible, themselves.

ed: couple of edits.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”