Someone Used My Account

Obsolete, fixed, and incorrect bug requests and problems. Browse here before posting a new topic, to avoid duplicates.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:49 pm

Post by jeep »

The list below shows everyone who has been logged on within the last 5 minutes or so... And there are some login issues, so it's more likely that the cookie was set but the session variable wasn't right...

Change your password just in case.

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #7 (isolation #1) » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:57 am

Post by jeep »

How long have you been logged off? Did you clear your cookies? Did you change your password? Do you auto-login?

In order to use your account, the person would have to know your password and even I can't do that. Passwords are stored as a MD5 hash. MD5 is a one way algorithm that, as far as I know, hasn't been cracked yet.

We do have the latest patch applied to phpBB, and no new security warnings have been issued.

Search for your posts and see if there are any that you didn't make...

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #9 (isolation #2) » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:13 am

Post by jeep »

My mistake, there was a security warning posted 2 hours before my last post that could be related to this:

Code: Select all

We've been notified of a flaw in search.php. This, under the right circumstances with certain server versions be exploited to obtain password hashes.

Even assuming we've been hacked, once the person gets the hash, unless you use a dictionary word, it still takes a lot of work to determine what your password it.

I will apply the security patch this weekend and will recommend that everyone change their password in a global announcement.

-JEEP

Return to “Solved Requests”