Live action mafia setup

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Live action mafia setup

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:39 pm

Post by Miztef »

I'm trying to set up a sort of live action mafia with a whole bunch of people at my school. I wanted to have alot of flavorful roles, but I tried not to make it too messy. Here's some basic info on it.

Players: 16-20 (estimated)

Roles:
4 mafia
2 cops
2 doctors
1 hunter (vigilante)
2-3 masons
3-6 townies
2 special roles: "Bonnie & Clyde"

Bonnie and Clyde rules: Bonnie and Clyde are a team onto themselves. They only win if 1 or both are the last survivors. They do not know eachother's identity at the start. Each night both of them choose 3 players to examine (for a total of 6 identities given). If they discover eachother by any means, they may kill 1 person each night together. (by placing a pink & blue X on their locker, more on this later)

The game will be played with day being school hours (8:30am - 3:00pm) and voting must be in no later then 10 mins after the final bell. All votes are secret until the next day. At night (all non-school hours) players can communicate any way they wish (e-mail, phone, meeting in person) and the mafia places a red X on someone's locker (they are given a red marker and paper to do so with) The hunter a green X, and Bonnie has a pink marker, Clyde a blue, only if they work together can they kill someone. This repeats until mafia are eliminated, town = mafia, or Bonnie/Clyde are the only survivors.

Please post any thoughts, balance issues, etc. It would be much appriciated.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:44 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

You should also check out Live Action Mafia on the wiki, which was an experiment in this sort of game played in a dorm, I believe.
Retired as of October 2014.
Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:57 pm

Post by Miztef »

Mr. Flay wrote:You should also check out Live Action Mafia on the wiki, which was an experiment in this sort of game played in a dorm, I believe.
that's where I got the idea :wink: . Seemed like lots of fun, and most of the people I'm inviting have played normal mafia with me before.
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:21 pm

Post by Blackberry »

I like your idea Miztef! :)
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:43 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

It seems like Bonnie and Clyde are just like the mafia but weaker in a couple of ways.
Mgm
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:16 pm

Post by Mgm »

Unless you're at a boarding, the players won't be able to place those crosses at night. The school is going to be closed. How does that work?
Also, if someone sees a cross on a certain locker that might affect night choices of power roles who find out. How are you going to handle that?
How are you going to avoid non-cops going on the prowl to catch mafia meetings or intercept mafia communication?
Show
"Logic is a systematic method to come to the wrong conclusion."
[u][b]Next:[/b] Doctor Who Mafia[/u]
[u]Testimonials about Mgm:[/u]
:shock: - Stoofer
You put me through hell Mgm, my nerves are crushed :/ - Patrick
Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:23 am

Post by Miztef »

Mgm wrote:Unless you're at a boarding, the players won't be able to place those crosses at night. The school is going to be closed. How does that work?
Also, if someone sees a cross on a certain locker that might affect night choices of power roles who find out. How are you going to handle that?
How are you going to avoid non-cops going on the prowl to catch mafia meetings or intercept mafia communication?
all good points. I didn't want to explain alot of how I deal with stuff like that, as I was in a kind of rush. My mistake.

By night, I'm talking the half hour before school opens, and the half hour after it closes. many teams/clubs meet at these times so it is not abnormal.

I am actually hoping people catch mafia communicating and such. It will add alot more fun. The mafia will have to be very smart about how they communicate.

Seeing another people's night choices is allowed as part of a person's strategy. since there is very little actual convestion time, things like this add a whole new level to the game.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:25 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Seems like texting and note passing (do people still do that???) will be more common than in-the-hall conversations. Which is as it should be...
Retired as of October 2014.
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:28 am

Post by Fritzler »

Mr. Flay wrote:Seems like texting and note passing (do people still do that???) will be more common than in-the-hall conversations. Which is as it should be...
no note passing really, unless you're just bored and want to doodle on a paper, and you can also give it to someone (preferably, it will involve pirates and murder)

also, be careful, because the scum are more powerful if votes are secret

just take that into account
Surfs up dude.
Primate
Primate
Mafia Scum
Primate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:40 am

Post by Primate »

I'd leave a video camera in the locker room overnight, thinking I was smart.

then it'd get stolen :(
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:43 am

Post by Fritzler »

boys or girls?

;)
Surfs up dude.
SpinWizard
SpinWizard
Townie
SpinWizard
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:46 am

Post by SpinWizard »

Fritzler wrote:boys or girls?

;)
ROFL :lol:
Mgm
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:51 pm

Post by Mgm »

Miztef wrote:Seeing another people's night choices is allowed as part of a person's strategy. since there is very little actual convestion time, things like this add a whole new level to the game.
I think that might have serious game-breaking effects. A doc could wait until the last minute and protect whoever they notice is gonna die. In your game, a cop would never investigate someone who ends up dead and scum never target the same person as the other scum. All things that make forum games balanced.
Show
"Logic is a systematic method to come to the wrong conclusion."
[u][b]Next:[/b] Doctor Who Mafia[/u]
[u]Testimonials about Mgm:[/u]
:shock: - Stoofer
You put me through hell Mgm, my nerves are crushed :/ - Patrick
Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:55 am

Post by Miztef »

Mgm wrote:
Miztef wrote:Seeing another people's night choices is allowed as part of a person's strategy. since there is very little actual convestion time, things like this add a whole new level to the game.
I think that might have serious game-breaking effects. A doc could wait until the last minute and protect whoever they notice is gonna die. In your game, a cop would never investigate someone who ends up dead and scum never target the same person as the other scum. All things that make forum games balanced.
Good point. I guess I'll just ask everyone to email their choices to me, then I'll put them up each day. it's more boring, and more work from me, but it's the only way to balance it.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”