Updates from a Failing Democracy

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #13 (isolation #0) » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:21 am

Post by Vi »

And they won in <year>. Big time. Two thirds of the vote. Which gave them unlimited access to the constitution itself. And it didn't seem like a good idea, no, but it's been way worse and way more absurd than anyone could have predicted.
I always wonder if that could happen in my country.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #16 (isolation #1) » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:48 am

Post by Vi »

There's an element of gripping fear in my post that didn't come across, because of which party is more likely to be in that circumstance.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #18 (isolation #2) » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:51 am

Post by Vi »

In post 17, SleepyKrew wrote:The US is too divided for that to happen.
Unfortunately.
(mutiny)
Actually, a one-party takeover is more likely
because
the US is so divided. It's just a matter of what percentage of power is on either side.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #26 (isolation #3) » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 19, SleepyKrew wrote:By "that" I meant getting two thirds of the vote. Unless you think that could happen in the near to middle future?
...eh, considering they need 75 people in the Senate when they're currently struggling to get 50, no. On the other hand, if you have the Supreme Court you don't need to amend the Consitution.

My theory (I Am Not A Political Scientist) is--
Non-ideologically-driven Republicans know that if things stand as they are their control over the government is going to erode. Their (positive) rebranding is severely limited because of their rabid base. Under these circumstances, the best bet for their long-term survival is to go for a power grab, then rewrite the system so they can stay in power.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #29 (isolation #4) » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Post by Vi »

@Psyche: The problem is that we're heading for elections where you can win without the popular vote, PLUS economic woes, PLUS a significant portion of the population that has been told for years that armed revolt is a pretty cool idea, PLUS we're not as isolated (geographically, not politically) as we were during our previous moments of weakness. There are all kinds of ways this could end poorly.

@Vi: Well, I think that may happen for any non-ideologically-driven party/group. Once they're in power, they'll just want to stay in it, since they don't actually have an idea on what they want to do with said power.
I'm pretty sure the Saud family has a good idea of what they want to do with their power.

Return to “General Discussion”