Tell me a story!

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (isolation #0) » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:54 pm

Post by sthar8 »

I'm a story guy!

Spoiler: Remember the story about fording the river and climbing the glacier?
The third night, we slept around this tiny little lake on top of the mountain. It was cold enough to act as refrigeration, so we made instant cheesecake in a bowl and floated it in the lake until it was done. The next day we started down the mountain, and I learned that while I have no problem climbing
up
a rock face, going
down
totally freaks me out. Still, I made it without having to be lowered like the dog. That afternoon we were hiking down through an old-growth forest, and it rained so hard that my 'waterproof' rain gear bled its green dye into every unbagged article in my backpack.

The fifth day was our last on the mountain and the older guys were starting to show their age so we reorganized our hiking order a little. The older kids were given a radio and sent on ahead, the adults brought up the back. Since the older kids couldn't be trusted to stay to my pace and the adults were way slower than me, they gave me my own radio and let me hike in the middle by myself (note that this is
fantastically
against the rules). Over the course of the day, we get spread out over maybe 5 miles, but we were keeping in touch via radio. We were stretching the effective range due to terrain, but never out of contact for very long.

So about 8 miles from the end of the trail, the route cuts down into a little valley and follows a creek. The valley is filled with tall grasses and wildflowers. It's absolutely beautiful, and of course swarming with mosquitoes. And my radio goes off, "*crackle crackle crackle* trail. *crackle crackle crackle* water." So I transfer my ski poles to only one hand and unhook my radio, "Say Again?" I figure the older guys are stopping for a water break and calling to say they'll wait on the trail.

"*crackle crackle crackle* water *crackle crackle* bridge!" The grass is taller than me now, and thick right up to the edge of the trail. "Guys I can't hear you. What about the bridge?" Now I'm worried that there's another bridge out and I'm gonna have to ford another river.

The radio is silent for a few moments. "Guys? Guys?" I come around a corner, and just have time to register that the trail is now made of wood before WHOOSH! my foot slips out from under me and I hit the deck. 80 lbs of gear and 200 lbs of kid hit hard on the wood and it knocks the air right out of my lungs. My radio goes flying, the ski poles are swinging around and all the heavy and hard stuff in my pack drives hard into my lower back.

I'm gasping and wheezing and trying not to cry while I flail around like an upside down turtle, and my radio crackles from right next to my head, "Watch out on the trail! There's water flowing OVER the bridge, and it's very slippery!"

So I roll over to discover that yes, there is about 2 inches of water on the bridge. And it's quite cold. And about three inches from my face is a chunk of quartz crystal about the size of my fist. Now the Scouts have a pretty strict "take nothing but pictures; leave nothing but footprints" policy, but I figured the mountain owed me something for the attempt on my life. So I grabbed the rock and stuck it in my pack, and it's sitting on the bookshelf next to my bed right now!

Spoiler: So when I was a sophomore in high school
I was in a senior level math class. And because the universe shares my sense of humor, there was also a freshman in this class named Emily who was ethnically Chinese and
insanely
good at math. She might have had a crush on me, but teenaged sthar was far to oblivious to notice something like that. So one day, I'm sitting on my desk with my back to the door, talking to Emily. And this senior who was also named Steve walks in. Even in the class of super-math nerds, this guy was exceptional for his lack of social awareness. And he interrupts us and says, "Emily! Are you OK? You don't look normal!" And of course, since I'm the devil, my eyes pop super wide and I get all excited. She says "I'm fine" in a very flat tone. But he keeps going, "Are you sure you feel alright? Your skin is kinda yellow." And I'm sitting there, biting down laughter and hiding the biggest shit-eating grin I've ever had. But when he says, completely earnestly, "I think there might be something wrong with your eyes" I just busted out laughing. I almost fell of my desk, and the other Steve is looking at me like I'm a moron. The teacher yells across the room, "What the hell is so funny?"

And Emily, without missing a beat, looks right at me and says "Lacism."

For the next three years, every time I saw Emily I greeted her with "You OK? You're looking kinda yellow."

Eight years later, I went back to my highschool to watch a school play that one of my boys was in. Emily was there to watch her little sister in the same show. We saw each other in the audience and talked before the curtain. "Emily! It's been forever!" I said, "How are you?"

She grabbed me by the chin. "My God!" she said. "We've got to get you to a hospital! Your skin is so pale, and your eyes are so big!"

Spoiler: When I was 19 or 20
I went to a New Years Eve party with some of my friends from highschool. They had all moved away for college, and I was struggling to pay for my school while working full-time and spending as many hours as possible combining my meds with intoxicants. But one of the girls got homesick and moved back, and everyone I hadn't seen in two years got an invite to her shitty studio apartment for New Years.

About 20 people showed up, and I severed a bunch of social ties by bringing a traveller of Jim Beam for myself, popping off the plastic pourer with my pocketknife, and chugging the whole thing in about an hour (a traveller, if you didn't know, is a fifth in a compact plastic bottle. You know, in case you fall down.) I got sloppy fast, which resulted in me making a pass at my best friend's girlfriend
in front of him
and telling a bunch of horrifying stories about my other friends who happened to be drug dealers.

A little later, we went to a park to watch the fireworks. My buddy Matt, who we'd all thought was dead until that night, had discovered that we'd had a fight club in highschool (because of course we did) but nobody had ever invited him. He walked up to me in the middle of the park and said, "I want you to hit me as hard as you can."

So I did.

I sucker punched him and put him on his ass. And then I wandered away and blacked out.

I don't remember it, but apparently he came back for seconds later and we knocked each other around a bit. I'm told I impressed everyone by kicking Matt in the head just before they pulled us apart.

At the end of the night, everyone with a brain had a DD to take them home. I didn't, so I called my Dad. While Matt and I were waiting for our rides in the apartment, I sat up and said "Ow! Why do I hurt everywhere?" The girl who lived there explained patiently, "You and Matt were fighting." I was puzzled, "Why?"
"I have no idea," she said.
"Oh. Did I win?"
Right about then Matt groaned, rolled over, and said "Why am I bleeding?" and she said "Yeah, I think you won."

Incidentally my Dad brought Jingle, who was 13 or 14, with him to pick my drunk ass up at 4 in the morning. He still gives me shit for the things I don't remember saying that night.
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (isolation #1) » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:04 am

Post by sthar8 »

TTH has the same problem as jingle with spoilers :lol:
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (isolation #2) » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:05 am

Post by sthar8 »

1. you were 11.
2. you didn't buy shit. You stole socks that I already owned out of my bedroom. I was confused for a week before christmas at why I couldn't find any goddamn socks.
3. some of them came out of my hamper and were quite dirty.

We gave Jingle the same package of coal every year from when he was 7 until he was 16. And when he was nine I gave him an empty refrigerator box with six more boxes russian-dolled inside.
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #67 (isolation #3) » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:44 pm

Post by sthar8 »

So I've been meaning to type this one for forever. Sorry...

Spoiler: Re: my job
There's a little boy, maybe five or six, who has been coming into the store recently to buy pokemon cards. I think he's made every adult he knows come in to buy him cards, and every time they look at absolutely everything. There's a lot of "[relevant adult] LOOK! It's so cool!" and questions that I get to answer. Excited and inquisitive kids are my favorite thing to deal with at work. So one day, the little guy comes up to the counter and declares "I wanna work here when I grow up!" Which was completely adorable.

But one of the older boys was hanging out in the store too, so I replied, loudly enough for the bigger guy to hear,

"Have you ever heard a story about a genie who lives in a lamp? Think about what it's like to be the genie. You get to meet all sorts of people, good and bad. You get to grant wishes, and make people very happy. You get to do magic, and wonderful things, and have experiences that make everyone else jealous. So why does nobody want to be the genie?

Because you're trapped in the dumb lamp!"

Spoiler: When I was 19, I drove to a party with some friends...
but we were a little late, and arrived to find the place surrounded by cops. So I kept driving, and one friend made some calls. He located another party and gave me the address. It was for an apartment building in a less-than-safe part of town, but I'd partied in sketchier places. When we arrived, we were instructed to park a couple blocks away and enter the building through a side entrance.

Inside, we found an apartment with no furniture in it occupied by about a dozen burly white dudes in leather jackets with tattoos drinking and smoking pot. About half of them were my age, but the rest were clearly older. One of the older men was standing at the window, looking out between the blinds with binoculars.

I learned quickly through conversation that it was a group of Aryan Nations guys, and that they were posted there to 'watch' someone. I didn't ask who or why, because frankly I didn't want to know.

They introduced us to a couple cases of beer, and we got a game of "I have never" going. I abstained because I was driving and because "I have never" gets me blackout very quickly.

About an hour in, one of the Aryans came over to sit with me. His head was shaved, and he had a swastika tattoo on one side of his neck, and an iron cross on the other.

"hey"

"hey"

"how's it goin'?"

"good..."

"I like your beard"

"thanks?"

"can i touch it?"

"Uhhhh... sure?"

At this point, the neo-nazi is touched my face and ran his hands through my beard. He spent the next half hour drunkenly explaining his group's philosophies, until I announced loudly that it was time for us to leave. As we were getting ready to go (read: I was herding my drunk friends to the car) the same white supremacist pulled me aside:

"you should drop off your friends and come back. We're moving to Detroit tomorrow, and you can come with us."

"uhhh I'll think about it..."

"If you come with us, you can marry my cousin and we'll kill [racial slur] together"

"OKAY THEN! TIME TO LEAVE! LATER GUYS"

Spoiler: Bees
A couple years ago, I went hiking with the Scouts up at Priest Lake. Friday night the first group hiked in to our campsite. It was me, two 16-year-olds, and an 18-year-old. Midway through the hike, at about 3 in the afternoon, we got hit with a downpour. Luckily everyone had packed correctly, but the clothes we were wearing got soaked on the way in. So once we got the tents set up, I made everybody change and we set up a clothesline on the beach.

The next project was cutting down a tree and turning it into firewood for the group of younger kids that was coming in the next day. While I was chopping, one of the boys came over. "There's some bees on your socks." I replied on autopilot "That's OK. Don't bother them and they won't bother you." "I dunno, there's a LOT of bees."

There were a lot of bees. Like, a whole hive of bees. About a hundred bees, just hanging out on my socks. Nobody else's socks, no other articles of clothing. Bee-beard thick bees all over my socks. Bees
can't get enough
of my sweaty socks.

Return to “General Discussion”