Open 575: Friends & Enemies-Together At Last (OVER)

Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #1475 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:47 am

Post by Wisdom »

What does the timing of the explanation have to do with that? He still found an excuse to hop on the wagon and that's what matters.
acryon
acryon
Mafia Scum
acryon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1476 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:51 am

Post by acryon »

Sorry for the wall in advance.

Splitting this up into a few sections to keep it organized/focused on things I think are notable.

Early Game/Wgeurts Questioning

- was basically just a re-wording of my initial questioning of Victor’s question. I didn’t really think much of it at the time, but now it seems like may have been trying to gain some town-cred by calling out Victor even though I already did that. It looks like it worked because in Mathdino seems to give him some of that cred.
- we see Wisdom seconding a question from wgeurts about why I thought the vote on him may be justified. I thought it was painfully obvious to everyone but wgeurts why people might be suspecting him given his erratic play. This made sense coming from someone who is new, but looking at it from Wisdom now seems fabricated. I think he should have known better.
-In , he questions wgeurts on unvoting him. This is one of those things that I think isn’t inherently scummy, but if you are looking at it being done by potential scum, it looks really scummy.
- is another example of this I think. He questions TTH this time about not engaging him directly. He is very proactive in his defense.
- and are more of the same. Now that I’m reading through it again, all of these types of posts are really rubbing me the wrong way. I’m still don’t know that they point to him being scum, but they do help prop up a scum-case on him I think.
-In , he calls for wgeurts to stop the mason-talk, which is pro-town, but he does so after Mathdino already calls it out, so it’s hard to give him real town-points for it.
- he begins to go after SW for defending him. I’m all for looking into those appearing to WK you as scum, but the way he is going about it does seem a little too aggressive to be genuine.

Push on SW

-I actually agreed with the push on SW, as I joined in as well. If Wisdom is scum, there is still a chance, I think, that this was a bus. It did feel quite genuine, but I don’t want to rule it out just because it felt good.
- pings as he says he will self-vote over a NL. This is not town-motivated. Lynching a random person is better than a NL, but if you are town, then lynching what is a confirmed town to you is not better than a NL.

Miscellaneous

-Looking at this vote-count, I think there is a
very
good chance that there was some bussing going on:
Wisdom (4) - TellTaleHeart, wgeurts, SilverWolf, Newbie
wgeurts (4) - VictorDeAngelo, blindmewithscience, Wisdom, Mathdino
VictorDeAngelo (1) - acryon
acryon (1) – Malakittens
I’m not going to speculate pre-flip, but I wanted to make a note for future reference if Wisdom does end up being the lynch and flips scum.
-In the VC in , I don’t know how likely it is that 2+ scum would be on the wgeurts wagon at that point in time. I’m certainly not saying it’s impossible, but my initial thought on it is that this gives Wisdom some town-points.

Mala/Mid-game

-In , I made a far-fetched (and I admitted it as such) post about a potential Mala coaching wgeurts situation. I think most people recognized this as some wild speculation (as it was), but Wisdom jumped on it in .
-Then in , he sort of begins to run with it by questioning Mala on her reads, although he hadn’t really engaged her much at all before now.
-In / he votes and pushes for more info from Mala. I actually liked this, because Mala had been pretty weak with her reasoning.
-In Wisdom mentions masons maybe voting each other to muddy the waters, and this doesn’t really make any sense at all. Town don’t vote players who are confirmed town to them; they either vote scum or vote to pressure those they are unsure about. Very weird comment to make, especially from someone with a good amount of experience.
- he gets weirdly defensive toward TTH and says he is “starting to consider [him avoiding interaction with him] a scum tactic.” This just reads really awkwardly.
- he again is asking for people to explain town-reads on him. All of this focus on explanations for town-reading him seem to indicate a greater desire to clear himself to town than to actually find scum. It isn’t scummy to be concerned about what people think of you, but the degree to which he has focused on it is suspect.

Late-game

- and [/post]740[/post] do read like scum trying to protect their buddy. The soft-defense definitely pings a bit.
- and do venture into hard-defending territory, but it is quickly backed off in where he concedes that Victor did some weird things.
-I agreed with a lot of his pushing on Constantine, and still do.
-His post in pings. He asks both myself and Mathdino, knowing that we shared similar views on SW in the past, so it seems like he could be trying to keep us strung along behind him.
- is super weird. “The remaining scum is mala and most likely acryon”. What?? He had never even really mentioned me before that point and now I am most likely scum?
- is just so weak. He says I am scum simply due to PoE, but could also be N_M or BMWS. This is just so confusing. His reasoning for thinking any of me/MMWS/N_M is nonexistent.

The fact that I have agreed with more than one of the wagons he was pushing makes me obviously reluctant to push him over someone I have completely disagreed with(Constantine), but it does appear that there is a very good chance he is scum. I think it is an absolute certainty that one of Wisdom/Riddleton/Constantine is scum, and very probably that 2 are scum.

VOTE: Wisdom
Get to know me! | Unavailable on nights and weekends.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1477 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:53 am

Post by Mathdino »

In post 1151, borkjerfkin wrote:
In post 1146, Wisdom wrote:The VD lynch sucked, nobody who was voting him ever gave any good reason for voting Victor. I hated it and wanted actual scum lynched.

This pings me a little
because it's a pretty hyperbolic/sensationalist take on what actually happened (the 'sucky' lynch that flipped scum vs the 'actual scum' that is both unflipped and, as far as I can tell, you're not actually pushing anymore)
In post 1263, borkjerfkin wrote:my lynchpool today is probably:

Riddle
Constantine
Wisdom

Would not surprise me if both scum were in there.
In post 1264, borkjerfkin wrote:The rest of my play today is probably going to try to come up with compelling reasons that two of them are town
In post 1367, borkjerfkin wrote:Wisdom definitely NOT scum w/ Newbie.
In post 1377, borkjerfkin wrote:leaning newbie town now.

He needed an excuse? He could've jumped on your wagon ages ago, COMBINED with Mala's argument for you being scum, Wisdom.
By the time he made that votepost, he had multiple opportunities to get on your wagon, not even counting "Hey guys, I reread the game, and Wisdom looks scum because [REASONS]".

Edit: Haven't read acryon's post.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #1478 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:55 am

Post by wgeurts »

Darn you acryon, you've just said (a lot) of what was in my case on wisdom. I'll continue it anyway due to my differen't perspective.
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1479 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:57 am

Post by borkjerfkin »

In post 1478, wgeurts wrote:Darn you acryon, you've just said (a lot) of what was in my case on wisdom. I'll continue it anyway due to my differen't perspective.

Please read the last few pages; TIA.
beefycheese
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #1480 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:57 am

Post by Wisdom »

@acryon
I've only read your first paragraph, but I can already see that your case is a bunch of confbias.

@Mathdino
That doesn't change the fact that his "reason" doesn't make any sense. What's the scum motivation in doing what he says I did? I don't understand how you can agree with that.
acryon
acryon
Mafia Scum
acryon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1481 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:59 am

Post by acryon »

In post 1480, Wisdom wrote:@acryon
I've only read your first paragraph, but I can already see that your case is a bunch of confbias.

It definitely has a decent bit of confbias, as do most cases, and I mentioned that a number of the pieces don't point to you as scum on their own, but rather help prop up the pieces that do point to you as scum.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1482 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:59 am

Post by Mathdino »

acryon i love you

please write all my cases for me

literally checked every one of those posts

everything checks out

Edit: It's not scum motivated. What you did was an error, sure. But you would be a helluva lot more careful about it if you were legit playing town.
I, on the other hand, can't understand how you don't see what I see when you ISO those players.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #1483 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:00 am

Post by Wisdom »

In post 1476, acryon wrote:-299 he begins to go after SW for defending him. I’m all for looking into those appearing to WK you as scum, but the way he is going about it does seem a little too aggressive to be genuine.

Since when aggression is scummy? You're trying hard to find my actions scummy and it just looks silly.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #1484 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:02 am

Post by Wisdom »

In post 1482, Mathdino wrote:Edit: It's not scum motivated. What you did was an error, sure. But you would be a helluva lot more careful about it if you were legit playing town.
I, on the other hand, can't understand how you don't see what I see when you ISO those players.

Not really, in fact, if I was scum, I would be actively looking for such things and there's no chance I'd miss this.
I don't see what you see for the same reason I don't think they're scum together.
acryon
acryon
Mafia Scum
acryon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1485 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:03 am

Post by acryon »

In post 1483, Wisdom wrote:
In post 1476, acryon wrote:-299 he begins to go after SW for defending him. I’m all for looking into those appearing to WK you as scum, but the way he is going about it does seem a little too aggressive to be genuine.

Since when aggression is scummy? You're trying hard to find my actions scummy and it just looks silly.

Nothing is an absolute here. Aggression is not scummy. But
your
aggression toward multiple players who were town-reading you is. I already said there is nothing wrong with trying to out people who are WKing, but it seems that one of your primary objectives is making sure everyone knows why people are town-reading you.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #1486 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:05 am

Post by Wisdom »

In post 1476, acryon wrote:-346 pings as he says he will self-vote over a NL. This is not town-motivated. Lynching a random person is better than a NL, but if you are town, then lynching what is a confirmed town to you is not better than a NL.

Wrong. If you are town and escape the lynch via NL, you'll just get wagoned again the next day and the town will lose another day. Besides, lynching yourself over a NL is more useful to town for the same reason lynching anyone is better than a NL - more information for the town.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1487 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:05 am

Post by Mathdino »

In post 1484, Wisdom wrote:
In post 1482, Mathdino wrote:Edit: It's not scum motivated. What you did was an error, sure. But you would be a helluva lot more careful about it if you were legit playing town.

Not really, in fact, if I was scum, I would be actively looking for such things and there's no chance I'd miss this.
I don't see what you see for the same reason I don't think they're scum together.

Holy shit, you're actually going with "too townish to be town".

Wisdom.

There are pretty much no alternatives.

Considering the correct play for you would probably to start pushing acryon, wouldn't be surprised if that happened in the next page.
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile

Post Post #1488 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:06 am

Post by borkjerfkin »

In post 1480, Wisdom wrote:What's the scum motivation in doing what he says I did?

There's no scum motivation in leading town on a wild goose chase / pushing lynches you know won't go through? Like what I did the last time I played this setup?

In fact

http://www.quicktopic.com/49/H/KpjZBCV3DsW
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=25295

I want people to at least experience how scum mindset works in this setup. Last time I played this I had the mason team narrowed down to two possible sets on D1 of a game I had just replaced into. I whiffed on the kill N1, but after that I knew who the team was exactly. It's not that hard to find a set of three masons; they have all the associatives scum have and more because they're not afraid to hard buddy each other. Scum probably knew post TTH flip. TTH was pretty fucking town though so I can't begrudge them that kill.

That didn't stop me from pushing them on subsequent days, because it 1) wastes tons of time (I am actively trying to make sure this doesn't happen anymore today because it's getting out of hand) 2) still looks like scumhunting and 3) forcing the claim allows you to make a 0 info nightkill and 4) sometimes the game just naturally moves there (this happened a lot in my case)
beefycheese
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #1489 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:08 am

Post by Wisdom »

In post 1476, acryon wrote:-In 610 Wisdom mentions masons maybe voting each other to muddy the waters, and this doesn’t really make any sense at all. Town don’t vote players who are confirmed town to them; they either vote scum or vote to pressure those they are unsure about. Very weird comment to make, especially from someone with a good amount of experience.

More wrong. Masons have in mind that scum are looking for them. If they are smart, they'll try to fool scum into making false connections and muddying the waters. As such, voting each other is not that unlikely as you seem to present it.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1490 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:13 am

Post by Mathdino »

In post 1489, Wisdom wrote:
In post 1476, acryon wrote:-In 610 Wisdom mentions masons maybe voting each other to muddy the waters, and this doesn’t really make any sense at all. Town don’t vote players who are confirmed town to them; they either vote scum or vote to pressure those they are unsure about. Very weird comment to make, especially from someone with a good amount of experience.

More wrong. Masons have in mind that scum are looking for them. If they are smart, they'll try to fool scum into making false connections and muddying the waters. As such, voting each other is not that unlikely as you seem to present it.

You've made a logical error. I'm not going to convince you on this so this is mostly so people don't somehow fall for this muddying argument. Consider:

Behaviour A is something that most of the time only masons will do.
Thus, masons are capable of avoiding behaviour A.
This means that doing the opposite of A does not necessarily make someone a mason.
Well guess what.
Masons are still pretty much the only instances of behaviour A.
You don't need to play dumb anymore.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #1491 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:14 am

Post by Wisdom »

Ok bork since we're saying things as they are now.

Why the fuck would I post what I posted instead of noting to myself that those two are possible masons? Scum, like you're correctly saying, are constantly on the hunt for masons. How likely do you think it is to ignore such a connection and post something about it like I did? And how likely is it they'll just shut up, don't talk about any connections, and do their work at night?

Things are simple. I didn't even consider them being masons as I made that post, all I was thinking about was whether they make sense as scum together or not. Yes, looking back, I should have thought that that post could have helped scum greatly, but I just didn't. Because I haven't cared to look about who is mason.

So why are you pointing at this and call this scum? Do you think that I'm smart enough not to do this mistake as town but dumb enough to do it as scum? It doesn't make any sense.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #1492 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:17 am

Post by Wisdom »

In post 1490, Mathdino wrote:

You've made a logical error. I'm not going to convince you on this so this is mostly so people don't somehow fall for this muddying argument. Consider:

Behaviour A is something that most of the time only masons will do.
This means that doing the opposite of A does not necessarily make someone a mason.
Well guess what.

That doesn't mean that masons have to be sitting ducks. Anything that might confuse scum is useful.
acryon
acryon
Mafia Scum
acryon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1493 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:17 am

Post by acryon »

I disagree with this and your point about no-lynches. It goes more like this if you are town and are in danger of being lynched: lynch probable scum > lynch anyone > no-lynch and fight tomorrow to convince people you are not scum > lynch you, a confirmed(to you) town.

As for the masons argument, it is just wrong and I don't agree with it. Doing that may make it harder for the scum to find the masons, but it also makes it harder for the town to find scum, and the latter is much more important than the former.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #1494 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:18 am

Post by Wisdom »

In post 1487, Mathdino wrote:
In post 1484, Wisdom wrote:

Holy shit, you're actually going with "too townish to be town".

Wisdom.

There are pretty much no alternatives.

Considering the correct play for you would probably to start pushing acryon, wouldn't be surprised if that happened in the next page.

No, I'm going with masons shouldn't be this obvious. Especially since the players we're talking about are not some dumb idiot like Constantine.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1495 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:19 am

Post by Mathdino »

In post 1492, Wisdom wrote:
In post 1490, Mathdino wrote:Behaviour A is something that most of the time only masons will do.
Well guess what.

That doesn't mean that masons have to be sitting ducks. Anything that might confuse scum is useful.

Your logic disturb me.

No they don't HAVE to be.

But sometimes they ARE. If they display behaviour A, well, ya know what they say...

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and sits like a duck...
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile

Post Post #1496 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:20 am

Post by borkjerfkin »

In post 1493, acryon wrote:As for the masons argument, it is just wrong and I don't agree with it. Doing that may make it harder for the scum to find the masons, but it also makes it harder for the town to find scum, and the latter is much more important than the former.

Correct. Especially on Day 2.
beefycheese
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #1497 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:20 am

Post by Wisdom »

In post 1485, acryon wrote:
In post 1483, Wisdom wrote:

Nothing is an absolute here. Aggression is not scummy. But
your
aggression toward multiple players who were town-reading you is. I already said there is nothing wrong with trying to out people who are WKing, but it seems that one of your primary objectives is making sure everyone knows why people are town-reading you.

No, I just dislike being townread because scum buddy me all of the time. Therefore when someone states a townread on me, I want to know the exact reasons.
acryon
acryon
Mafia Scum
acryon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1498 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:20 am

Post by acryon »

In the interest of not being purely blood-thirsty and mindless, 1491 pings town, but it could just be me trusting the emotion behind it too much.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1499 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:21 am

Post by Mathdino »

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You never asked me why I townread you for literally all of D1.

Return to “Completed Open Games”