NY 177: Simple Complexity (GAME OVER: Scum Wins!)

Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5198 (isolation #0) » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:27 pm

Post by Wake »

Good game, everyone.

Everyone may now post.

Dead QT
Spoilered Dead QT
Mafia QT
The Frozen Dunes
Swampland City
Breezy Desert Oasis
NY177
Serial Killer's Notepad
Mini Normal Review

The reviewers allowed three 4-player neighborhoods.

Time to create a truly chaotic and fun game. :P

If you think there's anything I could do better, please say so. :]
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5220 (isolation #1) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:59 am

Post by Wake »

I messed up later into the game as work/busy-ness took over, in that I didn't provide VCs as frequently as I wanted to.

Will be refining the way I post in future games I mod.

The Large themed game I'm preparing is aimed at being massive, chaotic, and with some diabolical mechanics in place. House may recall USMB games #5, and #6, and others may remember games #1, #2, and #3. :D
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5222 (isolation #2) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:07 am

Post by Wake »

28-33, depending on if the mod in charge of Large Themes will allow it.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5225 (isolation #3) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:32 am

Post by Wake »

It'll be Semi-Open.

I won't reveal any roles or abilities, but will disclose the very basic structure.

01)
If 28 players, 16:4:4:4 (If 29+, it will go towards Town)
02)
Strictly Nightless
03)
Elemental Mafia
04)
Mafia Factions cannot kill one another. NKs by one factional onto another turns into an elemental "Guilty" instead.
05)
Neighborhoods. Neighborhoods everywhere.
06)
Scum have Daytalk.
07)
Every single PR will be given a personalized PT.
08)
There will be no Day extensions. If there is a wagon tie, the player that got there first is lynched.
09)
Scum in their PT and each PR in their PT will be able to put down who they want to target within those threads, and will be enacted once Day X turns to Day Y. They can choose to change their minds, do nothing, or cancel an action and state they'll do nothing. This saves the hassle up sending me PMs in a hurried manner. These guys can take all the time making up their minds as the Day progresses. Energy and time efficient.
10)
Role Madness, befitting a series dubbed 'Swirling Chaos'.
11)
There will be abilities that activate only once per game, and only during the Day. They will create chaos.
12)
No Cults, Jesters, or Bastard elements.
13)
Game's gonna be themed on
Fire
Ice
, and
Lightning

These are the bare bones of the structure.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5228 (isolation #4) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:35 am

Post by Wake »

I'm considering only allowing a few special abilities. Maybe more if they're simplistic. Regardless, if they're used, they'll be linked in order within each VC for easy reference.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5229 (isolation #5) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:48 am

Post by Wake »

At this moment, I'm considering waiting with those Special Abilities (and Timesets) for now, or add only a smidgen. I'll introduce them slowly into later, themed successions of this series. This game will be explosive even without them. The first one I wanted to make under a 'Supernatural' theme, but the first should be as itself. Subsequent games will have more players added to them, and the mechanics and triggers will become more elaborate. What I will say at this point is that this game has the possibility of becoming the biggest game to date at this website.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5231 (isolation #6) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:40 am

Post by Wake »

In post 5230, T S O wrote:You are almost definitely going to have to enforce some kind of rule regarding posting amounts per player because otherwise people will simply check out, even if they say they won't.

1) Days will last two weeks exact.
2) Prod/Replacement structure will be strictly enforced.
3) I will be actively seeking Back-up players as a precaution.
4) The Neighborhood PTs are meant to funnel some posts from the main to them, to help keep what should be said in the main thread.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5234 (isolation #7) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:04 pm

Post by Wake »

Thanks, guys.

I'm going to try to pick up the pace on this game's completion.

Already have the Neighborhoods and Alignments completely randomized. I want to make the Role PMs as simplistic as possible. Gotta decide which exact PRs to use and also augment the Game OP.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5237 (isolation #8) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:21 pm

Post by Wake »

I considered an SK, and saw how it could kill the Mafia Factions, but then the death rate would be too great.

At least with these three 4-player factions, there's always the possibility of the Mafia targeting themselves, buying time for the Town while creating devious chaos amongst the baddies. >:)

The beauty of it is that each faction must Scumhunt, but not appear to be leading too many wagons. Since Scum cannot kill Scum they must do what they can to lead lynches on opposing Scum, while appearing genuine.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5240 (isolation #9) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:55 pm

Post by Wake »

I guess just post here or PM me. I need to go back and write down everyone who's pre-inned so far.

Not setting a date for when this game is ready yet b/c I don't want to rush it and screw it up. :)
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5242 (isolation #10) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Post by Wake »

You've only seen the bare bones, ika.

Not the PRs and abilities to be used.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5245 (isolation #11) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:37 pm

Post by Wake »

If you'd like to criticize the game before it even begins, you're free to PM me. The game will happen as it is. Creating the game, I have a far better view of it then the glimpse you've been given, and that's the honest truth of it. If you want to take a decidedly negative stance on it without really knowing me or how I run my games then you can decide to not play in it and not spoil the suspense for others.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5249 (isolation #12) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:54 pm

Post by Wake »

In post 5247, ika wrote:
In post 5242, Wake wrote:You've only seen the bare bones, ika.

Not the PRs and abilities to be used.

your missing the point.

no matter what PRs or abilites you have, you always should run worst case scnario. you assume that PRs and abilities will counteract it, and yes it most likely will but what happens if in the 1% that it doesnt and what i shows happens (the town lynch+triple kill)? the balance is ruined and town lost what is argubly their most powerful weapon: the living majority

i have seen this kind of setup framework used before and it does not bold well. your missing the fact that i am an offsiter where the setups were mechanics and prs alone.

so if you want to ignore the adivce of EXPERINCED mods and that it can be broken very easily then go right ahead.

I think you rush to judgment far too quickly. I have been modding games for at least 6 years.

Do you honestly think I haven't been carefully writing and rewriting this game for the last 6 months?

You come in here, look at the very bare bones of this game in the making, and you make the worst assumptions imaginable.

Have some faith, ika.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5250 (isolation #13) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Post by Wake »

In post 5244, Marquis wrote:also i do not think it will be feasible at all for you to run a game of the size you say you are planning for.

you are far from the ceph-level kind of rep you will need to get that off the ground.

I think you severely underestimate me, to be frank.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5252 (isolation #14) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Post by Wake »

You know, I get it. You're being unreasonably negative, and trying to create any way to basically say the idea is crap, when you don't even know the idea I have in mind. I really should just delete your posts for just being one massive buzzkill. I think people like you are part of the reason why some people don't want to share any idea about future games, because all you'll do is home in on the negative or what you perceive to be weaknesses, without stepping back and realizing that you don't even know what's going to be played. Since you don't know, you should hold off and think "hm, maybe Wake will use this or that to remedy this potential problem or that." You think I must be pretty stupid, ika. If you want to keep finding all the faults you think you see, without giving me any benefit of the doubt when it comes to modding, I'll have no problem deleting your posts here.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5256 (isolation #15) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:42 pm

Post by Wake »

In post 5253, Marquis wrote:wake i think you're out of line and i think you need to learn to take constructive criticism better.

we're not saying this to be mean. what i'm saying is that you need to realize that even if you design a grand game, no matter how excited you are about it, without well-known experience and time spent building a good reputation here is it likely not feasible for a game of yours with 30+ players to 1) fill and run 2) continue running

Except I have damned good experience, and I know how to run a Mafia game. I also know how to fill and run a game of that size. Please do not tell me otherwise when you don't know me nearly enough to reach that conclusion.

In post 5254, SilverWolf wrote:Don't delete his posts Wake. I think he's just trying to help you. At least, that's what I see here. I never saw him say your ideas were crap.

It's pissing me off. He and Marquis think I'm inexperienced and stupid, in that I don't have there wherewithal to formulate and run a very large game. They need to stop treating me as if they know me when they don't. If they're going to piss on my words when I say I've been running games for over six years, then they're being insensitive, and striking nerves.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5258 (isolation #16) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:44 pm

Post by Wake »

In post 5253, Marquis wrote:wake i think you're out of line and i think you need to learn to take constructive criticism better.

we're not saying this to be mean. what i'm saying is that you need to realize that even if you design a grand game, no matter how excited you are about it, without well-known experience and time spent building a good reputation here is it likely not feasible for a game of yours with 30+ players to 1) fill and run 2) continue running

You think I can't.

I know I can.

That's the problem.

You don't know me.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5262 (isolation #17) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Post by Wake »

You say you're trying to help me, but you come off as basically treating me like I'm stupid, incapable, and don't have the ability to draw in players to play my game.

How would anyone feel when they're treated as if they're incompetent? "Oh now Wake, you don't have experience or a good reputation..." Me: "Bullshit, f*****. I know how to run a game and I know exactly how to make all the pieces come together when they need to come together.

There's helping people, and then there's "helping people" to the extent that you imply they're so stupid they can't do it, which just anger the snot out of them and makes him or her want to lash out. Jesus, man, you think I don't have the intellect, the experience, or the pull to make this game happen? It's like you're trying to humiliate me under the guise of helping me. It's like saying I'm not capable of driving, or able to care for multiple patients at once, etc. Stop treating me like I can't do things when I can,
with ease
. It's f****** infuriorating!
Last edited by Wake1 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5263 (isolation #18) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Post by Wake »

Wolfie, I can't reveal the measures I have in place to ensure the game doesn't get broken.

Ika thinks I'm too damned stupid to have spent time forseeing all these potential problems.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5275 (isolation #19) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:25 pm

Post by Wake »

Please read this epic game before subtly implying that I don't have the knowledge, the experience, or the pull to be able to bring this kind of game about on a much grander scale.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/threads/o ... -6.371364/
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5277 (isolation #20) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:32 pm

Post by Wake »

There would be an elemental flavor added if the NK did target enemy Scum.

Elementally-Bulletproof players may or may not play a role, too.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5279 (isolation #21) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:42 pm

Post by Wake »

If you're not going to play the game, I can share with you privately the details at play in this game.

I'm going to bed now. Going to sleep it off.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5285 (isolation #22) » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Post by Wake »

Will do guys. Apologies ika and Marquis for blowing up on you. These last couple weeks have been putting my body/peace of mind through the grinder.

I'm still working on this game. When I get time to collect my thoughts I add what I can to it. Will be seeking reviewers soon and getting this show on the road in time. Having rested through much of the day I feel better now, and can manage eating a regular meal. Finally regaining feeling in my right foot, too. The hard part is deciding exactly which PRs and abilities I want in this game, and that indecision is what's holding me up a bit. It's like having 100 favorite songs but having to pick only the top 20. I'll get it done, but I'm gonna have to make some compromises on which roles will be used. :P
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5287 (isolation #23) » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Post by Wake »

I am worried about Scum revealing who the other Scum are upon death, which would make the game more Town-sided. I could just make it so that the NKs fail on enemy Scum, but simply include abilities that may also prevent NKs, thus crossing that problem out. Hey, maybe instead give one or more Scum teams the option to investigate players to deduce if they're Town or Elemental Mafia. Yeah, hey, that does sound a bit more reasonable.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5289 (isolation #24) » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Post by Wake »

My lips are sealed.

I do have some devious ideas at the ready. :D

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”