How does one be a more enjoyable Mafia player?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #17 (isolation #0) » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:05 am

Post by mastin2 »

Espeonage's advise is all good.

When I play, how I play is largely dependent on the playerlist. I generally play in the matter that I find most natural given who I am with. Generally, with strangers, that results in some more formal playing, and with a playerlist filled to the brim with people I know, a far more relaxed approach, but overall, the thing that I generally do to be a more enjoyable mafia player is to just have fun, to not take things too seriously. I'll crack jokes, I'll do witty banter, I'll just be personable, opening up to the other players and also being open to them. I'll let them know what's going on in my mind, and try to know what's going on in theirs. That little bit of empathy can take you a long way.

It's also good for both scumhunting and manipulating as scum. Scumhunting, because it allows you to both see their alignment better and be more persuasive; manipulative as scum, because it allows you to smoothtalk them better. But I always try to keep things light and casual. I'm not afraid to hunker down and go serious, though, meaning that in a way, I can help bridge the mafia worlds between players who're super-serious and players who're super-casual, in that I can address both halves when I choose to.

Basically, the more relatable you are to them, the more enjoyable you are to them. And I find it's a two-way street; the more enjoyable you are to them, the more fun you yourself can have in a game, which with luck builds a self-feeding loop of fun: you have fun, causing people to like you, causing you to have more fun. Get that process rolling and give it some time to build (as said, it's not an overnight success; it's taken me years to build mine and it's still not even close to perfect), and you'll be much better off.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”