LOLhammering

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #21 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:11 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 16, Magua wrote:
In post 9, Klick wrote:It would be interesting to see a mechanic that stops quickhammers from happening. Something like, the day ends if someone keeps a majority of votes on them for 24 hours. It would change several aspects of the game.

This has come up before; I know GreyICE had a 24-hour grace period after a hammer for people to unvote in one of his Mini Themes, though the intention was to keep the scum from quickhammering in lylo if I recall correctly.

I wanted to see how players would use it. In practice it worked miserably.

It turns out the nice thing about hammers is that the debate ends. With a 24 hour grace period someone on the wagon ALWAYS gets cold feet for the first few days, so it just stretches to deadline.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #24 (isolation #1) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:55 pm

Post by GreyICE »

That would just encourage people to stalk the thread and spam more.

I like the decisiveness of a hammer. It happened. The game moves on. Too many games hit deadline anyway. If people idiot cast the hammer vote, that's on them.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #33 (isolation #2) » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:23 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 32, quadz08 wrote:I see your point, but if we move to a primarily gut-based method, then all you get is "I AM RIGHT NO I AM RIGHT NO I AM RIGHT NO I AM RIGHT" and everything is yelly and terrible and not fun forever

The major problem I have with cases is that they tend to try and look at the aggregate of a player's posting history. The aggregate of a player's posting history is usually heavily dependent on the player's strength in Mafia - for example, Furcolow v. Hito, you'll tend to lynch Furcolow over Hito regardless of their alignment.

It's better to focus on one or two posts, and jump immediately. It's also not necessary to immediately make a case, because often that derails pressure - three votes in quick succession if all three people see the same thing puts a LOT of pressure on a player.

Gut based voting is pretty terrible overall, but there's a lot of scumhunting that looks like "gut" to people who want a 12 point list.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #42 (isolation #3) » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:20 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 37, choof wrote:
In post 24, GreyICE wrote: Too many games hit deadline anyway

if this is an issue to people then 2 week day phases are too long

To be clear, 2 week day phases are fine (although I'm starting to lean 10 day) because they allow discussion when its necessary. Bringing up the deadline would only make MORE games hit deadline.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #49 (isolation #4) » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:08 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 46, Muffin wrote:I'm saying that encouraging a dumbed-down style of play where everyone just goes "psyche is p scummy for #404" but never is held accountable for why hypothetical post #404 is actually scummy is analogous to the growing anti-intellectualism movement in America and elsewhere in society.

I have a nominee for the most pretentious post in the history of mafiascum.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones

Return to “Mafia Discussion”