2015 Open Setup Design Contest - Winners!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Aneninen
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Very Important Pigeon
Pronoun: He

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:06 am

Post by Aneninen »

Yes, Titus, I said "fortunately" because I was able to vote and leave out my own setup.
ActionDan
ActionDan
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
ActionDan
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:25 am

Post by ActionDan »

Yawn
I'll give you a moment to let that sink in
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:24 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

Next round will go up tonight or tomorrow. Its been a long week
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:16 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

The following are the setups for the Micro Open competition.

Please review on a scale from 0 to 10. A setup that you rank as 10 is a setup that you would always sign up for when possible. A setup you rank as 0 is a setup you would never play.

Remember this is your opinion of what you want to play, you do not need to rate a setup based on balance, originality, or anything else along those lines. Its if you would play it.

You may vote for setups in the category you entered, but may not vote for your own setup.

Spoiler: Vengeball

Spoiler: Shortnight
Shortnight

6 Players

2 Mafia Goons

4 Vanilla Townies

• Daystart
  • Players are split into two groups of three, with one mafia in each group.
  • Day 1, players must lynch amongst the people in their group.
  • If both mafia are lynched d1 in both groups, town wins.
  • If one mafia is lynched d1, that mafia vengekills one of the players from his group.
  • If no mafia are lynched d1, the town players who were lynched must agree on a vig kill. If the kill is on mafia, the game continues in LYLO. Otherwise, mafia wins.

Spoiler: 5P Instant LYLO
Game Name: 5P Instant LYLO Mafia
Players: 5
Roles: 3 Vanilla Townies, 2 Mafia Goons
Modifiers: White Flag Mechanic

This game is extremely fast paced. Basically, 5 players (2 scum, 3 town) start the game already in LYLO. The town have 10 days to decide who they want their sole lynch candidate to be, and when 3 people have voted this person, the game is over.

If the person lynched was town, the scum win by having 50% or more of the votes.
If the person lynched was scum, the town wins because of the white flag mechanic.

Spoiler: Forest Fire
This is a 9 Player Open Setup which contains the following roles:
2 Arsonists

6 Trees
1 Firefighter

Setup Notes:
  • Arsonists have a single factional night action. They may choose to prime a single target, or to ignite all previously primed targets.
  • Firefighter blocks the priming of a target ONLY on the night in which they are being primed.
  • Trees become Tree-stumps upon being lynched, allowing them to continue posting in the thread.
  • Firefighter, Trees, Tree-stumps, and Arsonists are all vulnerable to being primed and ignited.
  • Players are not told when they are primed, Arsonists are not told if the priming was successful.
  • Tree-stumps cannot vote, and do not count as a vote for endgame purposes.

Arsonist Role PM wrote:[Player Name],

Welcome to Micro 379: Forest Fire!

You hate nature, and trees, and things that are green. The sight of the forest outside of your home fills you with disgust. In fact, if the whole thing went up in smoke and flames you wouldn't be bothered one bit. Actually....that kind of sounds like a good idea...

You are an
Arsonist
, along with your partner [Player Name]. You may post in the thread and vote as you see fit. Your additional abilities are listed below.

Abilities
:
~ Factional Communication: During the night phase you may talk with your partner [Private Topic Link]here[/Private Topic Link].
~ Factional Pyrotechnics: Each night phase either you or your partner may take one and only one of the the following actions:
  • Prime
    a target for ignition by dousing them with gasoline.
  • Ignite
    all previously primed targets by lighting them on fire and thus killing them.

Win Condition
:
~ You win when only
Arsonist
aligned players are left alive, or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

Confirmation
:
~ Please confirm by responding
with your role
via PM.

Tree Role PM wrote:[Player Name],

Your leaves are green, your roots are long, and the creatures of the forest marvel at your very sight. Your life is simple, and quite frankly, that's exactly how you like it. Kind of makes you wonder though...how long will things stay that way?

You are a
Tree
, and aligned with the
Forest
. You may post in the thread and vote as you see fit. Your additional abilities are listed below.

Abilities
:
~ Stumped: Upon being lynched you become Tree-stumped. This means you will still be allowed to post in the thread, but you will not have a vote. Being killed in any other way overrides this ability, and will cause you to be removed from the game.

Win Condition
:
~ You win when only
Forest
aligned players are left alive.

Confirmation
:
with your role
via PM.

Firefighter Role PM wrote:[Player Name],

You love nature, and trees, and things that are green. The sight of the forest outside of your home fills you with joy. In fact, if the whole thing went up in smoke and flames you might just consider suicide. Dang, you better keep your eyes open...never know what might happen...

You are a
Firefighter
, and aligned with the
Forest
. You may post in the thread and vote as you see fit. Your additional abilities are listed below.

Abilities
:
~ Fire Prevention: Each night phase you may choose one other player to douse with water. The doused player will be immune to being primed for ignition during that night phase.

Win Condition
:
~ You win when only
Forest
aligned players are left alive.

Confirmation
:
with your role
via PM.

Spoiler: Double Chance of 50%
Mafia Godfather
(Appears "innocent" to cop investigations and as "not vanilla" to vanilla cop)
Mafia Goon
(Appears "guilty" to cop, appears "vanilla" to vanilla cop)
Town Cop
(Appears "not vanilla" to vanilla cop)
Town Vanilla Cop
(Appears "innocent" to Cop)
Un-informed Miller
(Appears "guilty" to Cop, appears as "vanilla" to vanilla cop, this person does not know he is the miller)
Vanilla Townies

No special rules. No mod notes. Day start.

Designer note: This is called Double chance because of the presence of two different cops, each of them can get a mafia or not mafia result but there is only 50% of the "mafia" results to be correct

Spoiler: SemiOpen
A
2 Mafia Goons
1 Innocent Child
1 Named Townie
3 Vanilla Townie
B
2 Mafia Goons
2 Town Masons
3 Vanilla Twonie

Choose one of the above two randomly as the setup. Daystart.

Innocent child have choice of when to reveal.

Spoiler: Modern Trio
Pick one of the following three set-ups at random:
1 Jailkeeper, 6 Townies vs. 2 Goons
1 Jailkeeper, 1 One-Shot Friendly Neighbor vs. 1 Mafia Role Cop, 1 Goon
1 Motion Detector, 1 One-Shot Friendly Neighbor vs. 2 Goons

Clarifications:
A Motion Detector detects whether their target is performing an action that Night.
If the Friendly Neighbor is jailkept, their ability is still used up.
The Mafia Role Cop can use their ability as well as make the mafia nightkill in the same Night.

Sample Role PMs:
Jailkeeper PM wrote:You are a Jailkeeper.

Every night you may throw someone in the jail. This will both protect them and prevent them from taking any night actions.

You win with the town.

One-Shot Friendly Neighbor PM wrote:You are a One-Shot Friendly Neighbor.

Once during the game, during the Night, you may send your friendly greetings to a player of your choice. This will confirm your alignment to them.

You win with the town.

Motion Detector PM wrote:You are a Motion Detector.

Every night you may pick a target. At the end of the Night you will receive "Motion detected" if they took an action and "No motion detected." if they did not.

You win with the town.

Mafia Role Cop wrote:You are a Mafia Role Cop. XXX is your partner.

Every Night you may talk to XXX here and one of you can go out and kill a player of your choice. In addition, you get to investigate a player every Night and find out their role.

You win with the town.

Vanilla Townie PM wrote:You are a Vanilla Townie.

Your power is your vote. Use it wisely!

You win with the town.

Mafia Goon PM wrote:You are a Mafia Goon. XXX is your partner.

Every Night you may talk to XXX here and one of you can go out and kill a player of your choice.

You win with the mafia.

Motivation:
The idea of the set-up is to make three balanced set-ups using fun modern roles (i.e. Jailkeeper rather than the more straightforward Cop role) and to combine them into a semi-open to have more variety and to introduce some uncertainty into the set-up (which would hopefully motivate players to scumhunt rather than rely on power roles or claims). It being semi-open also makes for more interesting fake-claiming decisions for the mafia. The end-result should hopefully be just a good solid game of mafia every time it's played.

Spoiler: I am the Joker
Game concept: I am the Joker!!!!!

2 Mafia Goon

1 Joker

6 Townies

Mafia can’t kill
During day Joker creates 3 parcels and send it to random people.
1 of the parcels contain a deadly bomb
1 of the parcels contain a healing portion
1 of the parcels contain a deadly virus
The receiver auto opens the parcel they receive. Deadly bomb kills the receiver instantly, Virus infects and causes a pain full death on 2nd night. Healing portion is sharable between players.

Spoiler: Grey Flag Nightless
  • 6 Vanilla Townies
  • 3 Vengeful Mafia

• Nightless (i.e. the Mafia have no normal nightkill; most nights are skipped)
  • Daytalk (i.e. the Mafia can talk in their private thread during the day; otherwise the Mafia would have very little opportunity to talk)
  • White Flag (i.e. the Mafia lose when all but 1 member is dead)
  • When the
    first
    Mafia member dies, the game goes to a normal Mafia night, rather than the night being skipped, and the Mafia (including the killed member) get to agree on a townie to kill. This only happens once, and is the only kill they get (apart from manipulating the lynch).
  • When the
    second
    Mafia member dies, the town immediately wins (due to the White Flag rule).
  • Mafia win if enough Townies are lynched that the Town loses control of the lynch vote (i.e. no longer outnumbers the Mafia).

This is an improved version of my Black Flag Nightless setup. The improvements: the win conditions are simpler; scum have a method to get rid of townies who are dominating discussion; town get an advantage for getting their first scumlynch in early (because scum have to make their kill with less information); balance fixes

EV is 45.9% to town. As for swing, the EV becomes about 78% to town after a scumlynch day 1, and 33% to town after a townlynch day 1; I consider this an acceptable amount of swing in such a small setup

Spoiler: 09:12

Generate a random number between 1 and 12, take the roles corresponding to that and the two following hours. (11 o'clock is Town Babysitter, Mafia RB, Town Vanilla Cop, for example.) Add five Vanilla Townies and a Mafia Goon.

Spoiler: Desperation

Spoiler: Corrupt a Wish
(1) The Setup is the following:

2 Mafia Goons

1 Cop

1 Doctor

1 Jailkeeper

1 RoleCop
(Reveals the target's role, including the way how it works – see below! –, but doesn't reveal the target's alignment)
3 Vanilla Townies

Most precisely, it would be
great
for the town if this were the Setup!
If only
the Mafia didn't ruin everything for them!

(2) But, in the pre-game phase, the Mafia corrupts almost everything for the town. They pick
one
Power Role for each of these modifiers:

One
Power Role will NOT be in the game at all. (No player gets neither the Power Role, nor a PM for the role)
One
Power Role gets totally corrupted (see below!)
One
Power Role gets partly corrupted (see below!)
One
Power Role will be working as normal.

The players who has the Power Role (determined randomly, as in every other games) will
still
receive the normal PM, as if everything were okay... (In other words: apart from the Mafia no players get informed whether the Power Roles are working normally or not.)

(3) The corrupted roles work as detailed here:

– A
Corrupted Cop
gets a
Guilty
result on everyone, but gets an
Innocent
result if they target self
– A
Partly Corrupted Cop
gets the
Macho
modifier
– A
Corrupted Doctor
is
Quack
(their protection will not work at all)
– A
Partly Corrupted Doctor
is a
Weak Doctor

– A
Corrupted Jailkeeper
Jails the
same player each Night and this player is selected by the Mafia pre-game
. Getting jailed in this way must be a delighted thing for this player because the action of the Corrupted Jailkeeper prevents all actions performed on and by the jailed player
except for
getting Nightkilled. (If the player chosen for getting jailed every Night dies, the Jailkeeper is simply a Quack; their actions are getting ignored.)
– A
Partly Corrupted Jailkeeper
acts like a
Roleblocker
; they prevent every action performed
by
the player but don't prevent any actions performed
on
the player.
– A
Corrupted RoleCop
gets a
Vanilla
result on everyone. In addition, the Mod reveals the
real
result of their investigation in the Mafia Quicktopic. By targetting self, they get a
Normal RoleCop
result.
– A
Partly Corrupted RoleCop
reveals the role sent to the target via their role PM, but doesn't reveal whether the role itself is corrupted or not. By targetting self, they get a
Normal RoleCop
result.
– For making everything clear: a
Normal RoleCop
reveals both the role and the Corruption Level (eg. Playerxxxx is a Weak Doctor, Playerzzzz is a Corrupted Jailkeeper)

(4) At the flip, both the Power Roles and their Corruption level will be revealed. This means the following messages, respectively:
– Corrupted Cop ; Macho Cop ; Cop
– Quack Doctor ; Weak Doctor ; Doctor
– Corrupted Jailkeeper ; Roleblocker ; Jailkeeper
– Corrupted RoleCop ; Role PM Cop ; RoleCop

(5) Natural Action Resolution Applies

(6) If A Corrupted Cop or a Corrupted RoleCop targets a jailed or roleblocked player, they still get the corrupted result (Guilty or Vanilla, respectively, in the latter case the investigation result doesn't appear in the Mafia QuickTopic; they get an "Investigation failed" message). Anyone else gets a "No Result" on a jailed or roleblocked player, except for the Doctors, who don't get a message at all whether their protection worked or not. If a Weak Doctor targets a jailed or roleblocked Mafia, they won't die.
The same happens if a jailed/roleblocked player sends the investigation: a Corrupted Cop / RoleCop gets the Guilty and the Vanilla result, everyone else get a "No Result" PM; Doctors get no information about their protection. (Jailed Weak Doctors don't die if they target a Mafia.)

(7) Here's an example for a possible Setup:

– 2 Mafia Goons
– 1 Doctor
– 1 Partly Corrupted Jailkeeper (in practice, a RoleBlocker; the player gets a normal Jailkeeper PM)
– 1 Corrupted RoleCop (the player gets a normal RoleCop PM)
– 4 Vanilla Townies

(As we can see, in this Setup there's no Cop but only the Mafia knows this...)

(8)
Good Luck, Townies! ^_^

*Note if you want to provide a review for Desperation or Corrupt a Wish please PM me the score(s)
Co-host of The USL Show
Whatisswag
Whatisswag
Goon
Whatisswag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Post by Whatisswag »

God, I seen so many of these micro setups ideas before (I mean I saw these ideas loike up to 3 months ago)
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:04 am

Post by wgeurts »

"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:05 am

Post by wgeurts »

"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

Aneninen
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Very Important Pigeon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:36 am

Post by Aneninen »

Same here...
I entered my idea in the very next post: – Corrupt a Wish!
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

That's the reason I requested everything be PMed to me... less chance of missing things.
Co-host of The USL Show
Aneninen
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Very Important Pigeon

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:02 am

Post by Aneninen »

Sorry; I dont remember – either I forgot to send over a PM about the post, or I sent it and it disappeared. (It happened before.)
Nevertheless, PM has been sent with the score for Desperation right now.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:41 pm

Post by Ether »

I'm not going to vote, since I haven't played mafia in years, so all of these would technically get a 0 from me. Also, the fact that I typed this post at all proves that fun is completely alien to me. Nonetheless:

Vengeball:
I'm not partial to multiball games. Any setting where the game can keep going after town has lost the majority is automatically iffy to me, and giving the town a vengekill means that this can happen as early as Day 2. This is just...so swamped with scum, which makes sense since they don't have nightkills to wear things down, but also means that there are no crosskills and you have so many many scum you need dead. The vengekill mechanic is kind of weird, since it's gone at LyLo, and as long as the town has the majority it's better just to vote so you can try to get a godfather, so I guess really it's just there for when town is the minority but the game's still on? This is one of those setups that makes me go "Huh, interesting" at a glance, and then get disillusioned as soon as I start actually thinking about it.

Shortnight:
Maybe? My gut reaction was "Ugh, the game starts with two 3-player LyLos?" but that isn't really fair, since the groups aren't segregated, so it's just a six-player game with two Day 1 lynches, and players grouped up so you can potentially clear people after a lynch. Which isn't a bad thing. It's unclear if they both get revealed at the same time or as they happen.

5P Instant LyLo:
Lovers Mafia is this game with an extra day and an extra townie. For reference, town wins in Lovers about 31% of the time, which is weird because they'd do almost twice as well if they lynched randomly. Sometimes this game makes no goddamn sense.

Forest Fire:
Maybe! It'll be kind of weirdly long for a micro, between the tree stumps and the fact that mafia won't be killing most nights. If you hate how you always die in mafia games and you have to stop talking, this is the game for you. This might be townsided, but it's hard to say, because as we've just established, towns are kind of dumb.

Double Chance of 50%:
Aesthetically I would have liked it if the two cops got positive results on each other and one member of the mafia, instead of adding the miller. But this is probably a little better for the town, even if it's less tidy. I do love setups where scum can argue their way out of guilties, and I think uninformed millers definitely have a place--maybe even a bigger one than informed ones, in open setups. But a 50% chance of a result being wrong, and in the vanilla cop's case outing a power role in the process, and each cop being completely blind to one of the scum...I don't know, this is all the town has going for it, and it seems a little weak to me. Maybe?

SemiOpen:
That 2 mafia/2 confirmed townies/3 vanilla thing just doesn't work. Scum wins 90% of the time. I invented SCIENCE! and I wish it were balanced, I really do. But it isn't, and the scientific method means that that's something we just have to accept. This one doesn't even have daymasons, which are more fun to play than masons, which are more fun to play than solo confirmed innocents. I don't get the rationale for giving two different setups when anyone who claims in either will be confirmed anyway.

Modern Trio:
Eh, seems all right. (Gaolers aren't really modern, though. They've been around for a long, long time. That doesn't make them any less classy.)

I am the Joker:
What?

Grey Flag Nightless:
I do like setups that force scum to behave differently. At nine players and only one nightkill across the game, it's a large enough game that I'd kind of expect those EVs to mean it's a bit townsided in practice. I'm probably overestimating town, though.

09:12:
I think the clock format is interesting, but the roles themselves just seem haphazardly thrown in. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what obscure roles got added (why do you need both a follower and a rolecop?), or what got paired up with what. (Do the babysitter and the mafia roleblocker really need to be together? Can't you just let the poor thing have its vengekill?) I guess at least the strongman was sandwiched between two protective roles (what happens when a jailer and a doctor target each other? This needs to be determined beforehand), so there's that. I say all this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's fun to play.

Desperation:
I am not convinced that scum need to have a vengekill in a 2:7 game with a night phase. Yes, a tracker becomes a cop at that point, but back in my day we actually had cops, and scum did fine. The desperado role is interesting, so there's that.

Corrupt a Wish:
This one also seems like you're giving scum more nice things than they need for a fair fight. Most of their setup decisions are pretty obvious, too. The fully corrupted gaoler and rolecop are both beneficial to the scum (which scum do not need) instead of useless; they can pick whether they'd rather have their own rolecop, or a 2/7 chance of vanillifying a power role plus not having to deal with a roleblocker. That corrupted gaoler is also incredibly swingy. Then you'd want to leave the cop out, since your corruption slot is taken and you don't want a functional cop. There aren't too many combinations that'll actually be used here in practice, and none of them are much good for town.

I typed that out, and then I read the earlier pages of this thread, and BBmolla and Cheery Dog both had different takes on this. So I guess it's not obvious.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Klingoncelt
Klingoncelt
Jack of All Trades
Klingoncelt
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:21 pm

Post by Klingoncelt »

Where do we vote?
Klingoncelt: "The whole scumteam slipped on page 1. It's the new meta. Sheep me because my reads are so accurate that whoever I name gets mod-converted to scum."
-
MiniDeathStar
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:45 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 111, Klingoncelt wrote:Where do we vote?

By clicking on the big "Vote Here" links
Co-host of The USL Show
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:25 pm

Post by Ether »

I did the larges too. Obviously these aren't fun votes, because that poll already finished, and also because I am no fun.

Kill All Townies:
Huh. Maybe? It's hard to think about how a game of this would actually go. But I kind of like the idea of keeping town lynches up when they're often drowned out in multiball games, and it's an interesting strategy element for scum. I'm not sold on giving the town a vig, though...and at the same time, this setup still faces the standard multiball issue that town can lose the majority entirely while the game still lurches on.

Elemental Large:
The whole schtick seems completely arbitrary. Is there any strategy to which kill to use? Then eventually you kill two doctors, and the other two become completely useless except as named townies, because even if a scumbag dies, its teammates will pick up its element anyway. The serial killer makes this swingier, but it can be outed at any point by the tracker--there isn't a ton of concern for its wellbeing, and honestly just not that much reason for it to exist. I think a large game with scum themed as elements could be interesting, but this isn't the way to do it.

Charge Me Up!
Um...this is really convoluted. I don't even know how to review this. It has a deterministic way of choosing roles, but I don't know if I'd actually class it as an open setup. It might be an interesting theme game?

Two Choose One:
Those town choices don't seem much like choices. Maybe you'd choose doctor over cop--if you can kill the roleblocker, you can do cyclic protection that way--but the vig choice is dumb and the people who take it should be judged. I don't know if I'm comfortable with the fact that it's a 3:1:12 setup packing a lot of town power, but I'm not comfortable with serial killers in general. You threw it in to make it swingier, and make it swingier it did.

Rebels and Assassin Unite In The Palace:
This is a Rebels in the Palace variant, and that's a bad start. I don't know why anyone thought it could possibly be a good idea to take 4:8 Nightless, which is already townsided, and change it so the scum can't identify each other--which would make the game really boring and random even if it weren't horribly imbalanced--and they have a single point of failure and could lose at any time.

Now you're making it bigger? Why would you do that? I get that two of the three roles added are scum, but this just isn't something you can salvage. I'm sorry.

I don't get why you would put a claimable town role into a nightless setup. The vengekill isn't even useful; the vengeful rebel isn't getting lynched. Assassins in the Palace really is a brilliant game, but like RitP before it, this game missed the point.

Double Matrix 6:
Day/Night 1: mafia lynched: 2:3:10
Day/Night 2: mafia lynched: 1:3:8
Day/Night 3: werewolf lynched: 1:2:6
Day/Night 4: werewolf lynched: 1:1:4
Day/Night 5: last mafia lynched: 0:1:3 - this is LyLo
Day/Night 6: last werewolf lynched: 0:0:3

This is a hypothetical 18-player multiball where there are no protections and no crosskills. Town has to lynch perfectly every single day to keep the majority and win--its only mistake here is not managing to eradicate one entire scumgroup early. I just...really don't like games where you need to rely on crosskills to win. This isn't a judgment on Double Matrix 6, this is a judgment on all multiballs forever. But this is what you're getting. I feel like this setup's Double Matrix 6's power role density is too low--it's okay to have 1 power role in a 9-player Matrix 6 game, but in an 18-player game with 6 scum, I'm not convinced you can throw in a cop and a gaoler and call it a day.

Cult in the Jungle Republic:
Titus asked for a review, and I already gave it. The below is a tl;dr.

Jungle Republic, with five scum in a twelve-player game, is pretty unique. Not my thing, but definitely unique. I don't feel like this setup really lives up to that brand--that's not even a measure of how good or bad it is, it's just the fact that it isn't a god-forsaken malaria-ridden swamp of scum roles from Day 1. (At least from Day 1.) It's just a large open setup with a cult in it, and a kind of weak town. (Also, it says it has 24 players, but only 19 are listed.)

I sent Titus a bunch of reasons not to trust cults, but I forgot a big one. They get bigger faster than you'd expect. With a mafia group, the town is losing one player every night. With a cult, the town is losing one player AND the cult is gaining one. So that's one more reason.

Small Street:
3/17 is really, really low--taking that 80 credit hit to recruit a fourth is pretty much mandatory, and that in turn limits them really heavily if I'm understanding the role distribution rules. And if the town also understands those rules, well, that's gonna hurt even more. Scum are just caught between a lot of awful options here. What are you expecting them to do?
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

Scum can overdraw in small street.

One pattern I expect to see a lot is that scum will turn a few townies bulletproof and have one of their own claim to be turned bulletproof after a night of not turning anyone, forcing town to lynch in the bulletproof pool. Scum can also opt to play the game partially killless or with white flag enabled to make up for both recruiting a fourth player and having expensive roles.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:29 am

Post by Ether »

I mean...I guess forcing the scum to self-handicap a ton is giving town something where the roles themselves are more useful as a puzzle to solve than as what they actually do? (Roles like the public vanilla and the mafia rolecop action suggest that this is not actually a Small Town setup at all, just a split role/alignment game.) I don't know, it all looks like a mess to me.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:39 am

In post 115, Ether wrote:I mean...I guess forcing the scum to self-handicap a ton is giving town something where the roles themselves are more useful as a puzzle to solve than as what they actually do?

Enabling white flag for better roles isn't self-handicapping as much as it's a simple trade-off. The setup is perfectly playable for scum without overdrawing pre-game, although it limits the number of solid game plans. While approaching the setup as scum's puzzle will definitely be a part of the game, scum have enough ways to keep the town guessing.

(Roles like the public vanilla and the mafia rolecop action suggest that this is not actually a Small Town setup at all, just a split role/alignment game.)

It's not a smalltown setup, no. I called it smalltown-like because it shares smalltown's main characteristic, the public fixed role list.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:29 am

Post by Ether »

Enabling white flag is self-handicapping, if they choose that.
Turning lots of townies bulletproof and letting them know is self-handicapping, especially when townies chosen for their incompetence get replaced, if they choose that.
Having 3 scum in a 17-player game is self-handicapping, if they choose that.
Restricting scum to only a small selection of roles that the town can see is self-handicapping, if they choose that and can't keep town convinced that they chose a different option.

Many of the roles here are filler roles as far as the town's concerned, so maybe it'd work out in the end, but it all just fits together really awkwardly for me.

Yeah, that's just called a split role/alignment game. Small Town is a variant of that, not the other way around.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:01 am

In post 117, Ether wrote:Enabling white flag is self-handicapping, if they choose that.
Turning lots of townies bulletproof and letting them know is self-handicapping, especially when townies chosen for their incompetence get replaced, if they choose that.
Having 3 scum in a 17-player game is self-handicapping, if they choose that.
Restricting scum to only a small selection of roles that the town can see is self-handicapping, if they choose that and can't keep town convinced that they chose a different option.

this is just another way of saying, "scum decide on the setup but they can't have everything without offering up something"

Many of the roles here are filler roles as far as the town's concerned, so maybe it'd work out in the end, but it all just fits together really awkwardly for me.

all roles are either useful to the town or game-changing in town's possession

delayed voyeur is a bit boring but that's it
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 am

Post by Ether »

I don't agree with either of those statements (or think that "potentially useful" and "filler crammed in for the sake of being another nonvanilla" are mutually exclusive categories), but there you go. I don't really have anything else to say about it.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

The following are the setups for the Mini Open competition.

Please review on a scale from 0 to 10. A setup that you rank as 10 is a setup that you would always sign up for when possible. A setup you rank as 0 is a setup you would never play.

Remember this is your opinion of what you want to play, you do not need to rate a setup based on balance, originality, or anything else along those lines. Its if you would play it.

You may vote for setups in the category you entered, but may not vote for your own setup.

Spoiler: Sharing is Caring
13 Players

1 Mafia Y-shot Rolecop
1 Mafia Y-shot Doctor
1 Mafia Y-shot Framer

1 Town X-shot Cop
1 Town X-shot Jailkeeper
1 Town X-shot Vigilante
7 VTs

• Daystart
  • "X" starts as 4, and decreases with each shot spent by one of the power roles.
  • "Y" starts as 4, and decreases with each shot spent by one of the power roles.
  • If X or Y goes below 0 in one night, all actions by that team will fail and no shots will be spent.
  • Every time a Town Power Role dies, X increases by 1.
  • Every time a Mafia Member dies, Y increases by 1.

Spoiler: W15++

Spoiler: Hot Potato
I've crafted what I think could be a fun game for 12 total players with 3 mafia vs 9 town. There are 5 unique role pms which I've detailed below and a special mechanic which I'll explain right now!

As the game title suggests, there is a hot potato that'll be passed around day-to-day that acts as a bomb. Flavor wise I was thinking it to be a bomb the IRA disguised as a Potato and hid in a garden of sorts but that's just flavor. The main point is that any mafia that Nights Kills town that would have had the Potato/Bomb at the start of the day phase dies as well (and the potato is removed from the game). Quite a simple concept on it's own. But I figure it's sort of fun for this 1-shot PGO giver to be juggled for a while.

of course, 3 mafia vs 8 vanilla and 1 PGO (the equivalent of the above mechanic is scum-sided [imo]). Thus there are a few things to note that makes it a lot less so.

1) The person who starts off as the potato holder functions as a named townie, which is very important in the event the potato will be traced from person to person.
2) 2/3 scum cannot hold on to the potato
. If it's passed to scum, they must select some town person to pass it to during the intermittent night phase . Thus, if it's ever claimed that a bomb holder passed to scum yet someone else got it the next day, town should have almost confirmed scum on their hands. I say almost because I've included a scum role that could disrupt that chain of events.

Hot Potato Role Pms

Town Potato Enthusiast –
Hello [Playername], and welcome to Hot Potato Mafia!

You are a
Potato Enthusiast

As a wee Irish lad/lass, you’ve always had a fondness for potatoes. They’re so useful! In fact the entire country functions around them. But today, you decide to use one for a bit of fun. With the potato poached from a stranger’s garden, it’s time to gather your friends and play HOT POTATO!

You start with the Potato.

During the first day phase you may pass the potato to another person of your choosing using the command
##Toss Potato: [Playername]

You may change your target as many times as you like up until I post the end of day scene. If you fail to submit a target, or your last target choice was lynched, a new target will be randomized from the living players other than you.

You also have your voice and your vote. Try to use both to root out (get it?) those interlopers trying to stop you from playing a most fun game.

You win when all Mafia are eliminated

Town Vanilla –

You are
Vanilla

It looks like a group of the village children are gathering to play a nice fun and violent game of HOT POTATO! Better join in!

If you have the Potato at the start of a day phase, you may pass the potato to another person of your choosing using the command

You may change your target as many times as you like up until I post the end of day scene. If you fail to submit a target, or your last target choice was lynched, a new target will be randomized from the living players other than you.

You have your voice and your vote. Try to use both to root out (get it?) those interlopers trying to stop you from playing a most fun game.

You win when all Mafia are eliminated

Mafia Interceptor –

You are a
Mafia Interceptor

Along with your partners [Playername], [Rolename], and [Playername], [Rolename], you comprise the mafia faction and can make your faction’s nightkill.

You may talk here [link to mafia PT] at all times.

As a former college Rugby player turned IRA member, you know your way around catching potatoes, using them in place of actual rugby balls.

During the day phase you may attempt to block a pass that the current potato holder makes (except from if the Bomb handler has it) by using the command
##Intercept: [Potato Holder] to [Receiver]
. If both names match, you will have successfully intercepted the potato and may either hold on to it for the night phase and the next day phase (and then pass it) or pass it immediately during the night phase.
NOTE: If you are passed the Potato WITHOUT specifically Intercepting correctly, you CANNOT hold on to the Potato after the current night phase.

If you have the Potato at the start of a night or day phase, you may pass the potato to a townie of your choosing using the command

You may change your target as many times as you like up until I post the end of night/day scene. If you fail to submit a target, or your last target choice was killed/lynched, a new target will be randomized from the living town players.

If submitting the Nightkill, use the command
##[Playername] Nightkills: [Playername]

You also have your voice and your vote. Try to use both to get your bomb back!

You win when Mafia and Town have equal numbers during any Night or Day phase.

Mafia Heat Sensor –

You are a
Mafia Heat Sensor

Along with your partners [Playername], [Rolename], and [Playername], [Rolename], you comprise the mafia faction and can make your faction’s nightkill.

You have some fancy heat sensing goggles from your field operation days assassinating high profile targets. They should come in handy for spotting a hot bomb, or a potato.

During the day phase you may attempt to scan a player in search of the potato by using the command
##Heat Scan:[Playername]
. Results come in the form “HOT” or “NOT” and will be received at the start of the night phase. You may change your target as many times as you like up until I post the end of day scene

If you have the Potato at the start of a night phase, you may pass the potato to a townie of your choosing using the command

You may change your target as many times as you like up until I post the end of night scene. If you fail to submit a target, or your last target choice was killed, a new target will be randomized from the living town players.

Mafia Bomb handler –

You are a
Mafia Bomb handler

You came prepared; armed with a defusal kit, helmet, and very nice hand-sewn gloves from your mom. If anyone can take on this potato, it’s you.

In the event the current potato holder passes you the bomb, you may elect to keep it until the next day phase.

If you have the Potato at the start of a night or day phase, you may pass the potato to a townie of your choosing using the command

You may change your target as many times as you like up until I post the end of night/day scene. If you fail to submit a target, or your last target choice was killed/lynched, a new target will be randomized from the living town players.

It should be noted that if at any point the bomb does go off, Even numbers alive during the day phase immediately get changed to Odd (assuming no no-lynches), and you might as well have been playing in a 9p vanilla setup with the key difference that there's a named townie in the mix, and possible bomb interactions... so I find it adequately town sided as it should be after a successful detonation.

The interceptor is there to counter a holder explicitly claiming who they are passing to, because that'd basically be an uninterruptable cop-shot and the bomb handler doesn't do enough to stop that on it's own.

Bomb handler is the Godfather of this setup, and functions exactly like a vanilla townie, except for the fact that other mafia can never pass him the potato.

Heat Sensor is a way for the scum to make a safe kill if they hit the Potato holder during the day, since they can kill them at night safely.

I believe Lylo's with the bomb in play become a 50/50 split with 1, 2, or 3 scum alive chance wise.

It's not terrible if non-GF scum get handed the potato because they can kill anyone, pass it to a person of their choice, and kill that person the next night. They are at risk of getting outed for a day of course. On the flip side, a potato holder has relative immunity to being lynched (and most of the time a potato holder will be town).

So there you have it:
Hot Potato Mafia!

(PS - it's possible to add 1-2 vanilla townies to the setup with other roles unchanged. But to have a better idea of the number balance, it'd have to be run once or twice)

Spoiler: Shotout to Anti
[
1 - Mafia Goon
1 - Mafia Compulsive Desperado-Inventor
1 - Mafia Backup Compulsive Desperado-Inventor

1 - Town Tracker
9 - VT

MODNOTE: daystart
MODNOTE: both desperado inventors get turned off when the next day is LYLO, aka they can't act if there are 2 or fewer town players than scum players alive.
MODNOTE: desperado must be used in that day, or it's forfeited
MODNOTE: the PM you get when you get a desperado shot is public knowledge.
MODNOTE: desperado shot extends the deadline by 2 days. this is a special rule and should also be made public knowledge.

ROLE PMS
You are a Mafia Goon, along with your partners x and y.

Abilities:
-> Factional Communication [Passive, Night, Misc] - During Night phases, you may talk with your partners here.

-> Factional Kill [Active, Night, Misc] - During Night phases, one member of your faction may attempt to kill a player. The player performing the kill may not take any other action that night.

Win Condition:
-> You win when your faction gains majority or nothing can prevent this from happening.

You are a Mafia Compulsive Desperado-Inventor, along with your partners x and y.

Abilities:
-> Factional Communication [Passive, Night, Misc] - During Night phases, you may talk with your partners here.

-> Factional Kill [Active, Night, Misc] - During Night phases, one member of your faction may attempt to kill a player. The player performing the kill may not take any other action that night.

-> Desperado Gift [Active, Night, Compulsive] - During Night phases, you
must
PM me a player. That player will receive a one-shot Desperado ability for use the next day:

You've been gifted an invention!

-> Desperado [Active, Day, 1-shot] - Target a player
in the game thread
. If that player is aligned with Mafia, they will die immediately; otherwise, your ability will fail and you will die instead. In either case, the day will continue.

If this ability is not used today, it will be lost.

If you do not name anyone before deadline,
the ability will be gifted randomly.
If, during a Night phase, there are no more than two more Town players than Mafia players alive, you will permanently lose this ability.

Win Condition:
-> You win when your faction gains majority or nothing can prevent this from happening.

You are a Mafia Backup Compulsive Desperado-Inventor, along with your partners x and y.

Abilities:

-> Backup [Passive] - When the Mafia Compulsive Desperado-Inventor dies, you will inherit their ability.

Win Condition:

You are a Vanilla Townie.

Abilities:
-> None

Win Condition:
-> You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

You are a Town Tracker.

Abilities:
-> Track [Active, Night] - During Night phases, you may PM me a player to learn who they targeted that night.

Win Condition:
-> You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

You've been gifted an invention!

-> Desperado [Active, Day, 1-shot] - Target a player
in the game thread
. If that player is aligned with Mafia, they will die immediately; otherwise, your ability will fail and you will die instead. In either case, the day will continue.

If this ability is not used today, it will be lost.

Spoiler: Matrix 14

Spoiler: Unnamed Setup
7 townies, and 2 groups of 2 scum each.
each of the scumteams has a nightkill and a watcher. the watcher can send the kill and watch at the same time.
The townies have 1 watcher and all the rest are VTs.
In addition, there town has a general 2-shot BP; meaning, the first two townies that are supposed to get killed at night won't; this means that if both scum shoot one townie one night, that only counts as one BP-shot lost.

Spoiler: Friends and Friends and Enemies
Mafia Goons

Town Masons
(Masons know each other but not the Lovers)
Town Lovers
(Lovers know each other but not the Masons)
Vanilla Townies

No special rules, no mod notes. Day start.

Designer note: This is an extension of the setup "Friends and Enemies", by splitting a group of 3 masons into two pairs of two masons (the balancedness should remain the same)

Spoiler: Pick Your Poison 2
Mafia chooses 2 roles out of 4 for town.
Town chooses 1 role out of 3 for mafia.

Town roles to choose from:
Cop
Vigilante
Watcher
1-shot Bulletproof JailKeeper.
Mafia roles to choose from:
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Godfather
Mafia Ninja

Add Mafia Goons and Vanilla Townies until we get 3 Mafia, 10 Town.

Note: Mafia selects during pre-pre-game. Town selects during pre-game (day 0) by public votes. Town is not informed of Mafia's selection.

Spoiler: Paranoia
3 Mafia Goons
1 One-shot Paranoid Gun Owner
1 Doctor
8 Vanilla Townies

Special rules:

• The Paranoid Gun Owner activates automatically on the first Night during which it is targeted, killing any and all roles that target it on that Night.
  • Each Night, in addition to submitting a kill, the mafia may make a guess as to which player is the One-shot Paranoid Gun Owner. If they guess correctly, the Paranoid Gun Owner is prevented from triggering during that Night.

Sample role PMs:

Mafia Goon wrote:You are a
Mafia Goon
, along with your partners
X
and
Y
. You share a private topic in which you and your buddies may talk during pregame and Night.

Each Night, you and your buddies may choose a player to kill, specifying which of you carries out the kill.

In addition, each Night, you and your buddies may submit the name of a player whom you believe to be the One-shot Paranoid Gun Owner. If you are correct, the One-shot Paranoid Gun Owner's ability will be prevented from triggering during that same Night. It is not possible to permanently use up the One-shot Paranoid Gun Owner's ability in this way (e.g. if you prevent it from triggering on Night 1, it can still trigger on Night 2). You will not be informed if you guessed correctly.

You win when the only players left alive are mafia or when nothing can prevent the same.

One-shot Paranoid Gun Owner wrote:You are a
One-shot Paranoid Gun Owner

On the first Night during which you are targeted by either the mafia kill or the doctor, you will involuntarily kill any and all players who targeted you that Night.

The mafia have the ability to guess which player has your role each Night. If they identify you correctly on any Night, your ability will be prevented from triggering even if somebody targets you. However, it is not possible for you to permanently use up your ability this way (e.g. if your ability is prevented from triggering on Night 1, it can still trigger on Night 2). They will not be informed if they guessed correctly.

You win when all mafia are dead and at least one town player remains alive.

Doctor wrote:You are a
Doctor

Each Night, you may target a player other than yourself. Your target will be protected from both the mafia kill and the One-shot Paranoid Gun Owner's ability during that Night.

Vanilla Townie wrote:You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no abilities other than the vote.

Spoiler: Maintaining Law, Order and Shallow Relationships
2 Mafia 1-shot PGOs (active)

1 Town Cop
1 Town Jailkeeper
6 Town Compulsive Visitors

The Mafiosi performing the nightkill can also arm himself. PGO shots can't be blocked. Factional kills and PGO kills are indistinguishable.
Co-host of The USL Show
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:39 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

All votes are due by April 17th, 5PM PST

Winners will be announced April 18th
Co-host of The USL Show
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:50 pm

Post by wgeurts »

You didn't add Anen's and my setup to the micro form.
"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:06 am

Post by quadz08 »

I believe that's because, as previously stated, you did not follow the entry rules?
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:08 am

Post by wgeurts »

In post 123, quadz08 wrote:I believe that's because, as previously stated, you did not follow the entry rules?

Yeah, but he was generous and added them to the list under the link. So I thought he had added them anyway >_>.
"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

Return to “Mafia Discussion”