A Queue for Games with Short Deadlines?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #12 (isolation #0) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:39 am

Post by pirate mollie »

the first site I played mafia on the deadlines were 12 hours and there was 12 hours of night chat and the games almost always had over 20 globally diverse players. the next few sites I played on the day rounds were 24 hours, 12 hour night rounds with no nightchat. the lynches were always plurality based.

I had a hard time adjusting when i first joined this site cos pple worked at a much slower pace than what I was used to. what I have learned is to take my time in games and I have really enjoyed that aspect of this site, but it took a while to get there. what is interesting is that both formats require different skill sets for town and scum.

eta: whoops it posted before I wanted it to. mina I think this is a really good idea, thank you for bringing it up.
whew!
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #51 (isolation #1) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:30 am

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 50, zoraster wrote:My problem is the more obstacles you put between wanting to mod and getting to mod the fewer people will mod. That's usually an acceptable price because it improves the quality of our games. I agree we shouldn't run a new queue like marathons, but at the same time I think requiring stuff of people running a game that will last a week will make it difficult to maintain a mod supply after the novelty wears off.

I also think we would need to replace a queue to make this one work. We've spread ourselves pretty thin across different games. The micro queue would be the natural queue to be replaced (for two main reasons: (1) it's already closest to running short games with small numbers and (2) it's a queue that overlaps heavily with other queues.), but a larger reshuffling might work.

I am really not understanding as to why short games is not a good idea to have its own queue with its own list mods that are not list mods anywhere else. I nominate faraday.

i think merging it with micros is a terrible idea - sorry zoraster! - they are 2 completely different animals. micros still adheres to majority lynches (mostly) but the shorter dl queue wld have to mostly do plurality lynches which totally changes the dynamics of the game. <------ I feel like this is pretty important to take in consideration! I have played short games where they tried to do majority lynches and it just didn't work out in the long term.

yeah, I think mod experience shld be required and games shld probs get reviewed. I REALLY do not support a cap on the numbers of players that can play a set up. I once played the 24/12 day/night round set up with 34 players; it can be done. I ran a game with 28 players 1 time as well so I KNOW that it can be done.
whew!
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #53 (isolation #2) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:47 am

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 52, hiplop wrote:^ It can be done, and it can be awesome. I definitely don't think their should be a cap

if you only had one game running at a time, or even 2 it could work pretty well.

yeah I think 1 or 2 games wld probs be best just given the burnout rate with fast-paced games and how intense they get.
whew!
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #56 (isolation #3) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:06 am

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 54, zoraster wrote:I'm not saying to merge the two. I'm saying to replace it.

The more queues we add the more we fracture the playing community. To an extent that's fine as we want to provide variety that helps retention of players. But past a certain point we start to see too much fracturing and a bunch of underutilized queues.

More simply put, we cannot offer queues for every single preference.

but it makes no sense to replace micros with this type of queue I don't think. the primary draw for micros is that players have a much smaller playerlist to manage, not the shortened deadlines. If you want to replace a queue why not marathons cos there is always a fallback to that 1 on skype or scumchat or the other mediums we have. I have seen a lot of great game designs in marathons fall to the wayside cos pple cld not commit to a game that lasted nearly 4 hours due to mechanics.
whew!
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #58 (isolation #4) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:33 am

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 57, zoraster wrote:
In post 56, pirate mollie wrote:
In post 54, zoraster wrote:I'm not saying to merge the two. I'm saying to replace it.

The more queues we add the more we fracture the playing community. To an extent that's fine as we want to provide variety that helps retention of players. But past a certain point we start to see too much fracturing and a bunch of underutilized queues.

More simply put, we cannot offer queues for every single preference.

but it makes no sense to replace micros with this type of queue I don't think. the primary draw for micros is that players have a much smaller playerlist to manage, not the shortened deadlines. If you want to replace a queue why not marathons cos there is always a fallback to that 1 on skype or scumchat or the other mediums we have. I have seen a lot of great game designs in marathons fall to the wayside cos pple cld not commit to a game that lasted nearly 4 hours due to mechanics.

Marathons aren't really a queue, they're just a special event we run every now and then. And it's not an acceptable substitute for a consolidation or replacement of a real queue.

okay so why does there need to be a substitution queue at all? I think the whole idea of a quickie queue is that it wld attract new players who find the sisyphustic efforts that is required in rome to be daunting. several pple have pointed this out.

I think micros shld have its own special space cos of the smaller playerlist required and sometimes pple only want to sort out 8 other players. I guess what i am struggling with is that micros appeal to peeps who want smaller playerlists and a quickie queue wld appeal to pple who want shorter dls. <--- those are 2 different things so why wld you want to replace 1 with the other? this is what I am not understanding.
whew!
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #81 (isolation #5) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:16 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 72, zoraster wrote:By the way: this is me being receptive to the idea.

yaye! Image
whew!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”