A Queue for Games with Short Deadlines?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:59 pm

Post by farside22 »

If you do it I would seperate it.
1) because games take long to fill
2) to make it easier on the list mod.

The games should be no larger then a mini and balanced, no bastard games allowed and must be reviewed by someone in the community that approved the game.
Also game days are no longer then 7 days seems fair.
Quickie mafia games have a nice ring to it.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #6 (isolation #1) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:13 am

Post by farside22 »

In post 5, wgeurts wrote:Or it's run like the micro queue with a normal queue and an open/mini-theme. Large games wouldn't fit the fast-pace I agree though.
7 days is still long compared to most forums. 3 days is a long day on most sites and would be better.

Okay so minimum 2 day deadlines max would be 3 days.
But yea you could run a micro, open or mini in the game.
I'm just being clear it should not be bastard and as I feel a little burned by some games is say reviewer is necessary
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:23 pm

Post by farside22 »

In post 10, saulres wrote:
In post 4, farside22 wrote:must be reviewed

I predict that if that becomes a requirement, the queue will be very long, because it takes such a long time to get games reviewed. Maybe start it off with a subset of established Open games?

In post 9, IceGuy wrote:If you introduce such a queue, please separate the games by time zones.

For me, playing a game with (mostly) Americans wouldn't work with short deadlines. Most of the posting happens when I sleep.

Maybe areas rather than time zones. US has what, five time zones? Six? But I bet they could all play together no problem.

I was t talking about doing the normal review
I said a player who has played mafia and can balance a set up.
Hell I could check 3 games and call it a day.

zoraster wrote:My worry is about the supply of these games from mods. I don't want us to create a dead queue. We already have low supply for Micros, and I think this would be like that only much, much worse.

I didn't know micro's were not having a lot of mod's.
Maybe start this idea with micro's only then and see how it goes.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #38 (isolation #3) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:23 am

Post by farside22 »

In post 35, zoraster wrote:It'd have to be a very long trial. My worry isn't about the first month but rather about going on. The first bit of any sufficiently new queue will have people who are doing things because it's interesting. If a queue is brought in to appeal to a broader segment of the potential population, it'd need to provide consistent games.

I have concerns about the overall effect of the game ecosystem too, but these are harder to evaluate in any meaningful way.

I have other concerns too, but they're second order concerns that are more issues to resolve to make a queue work than they are about whether it's a good idea to do at all. Some of these:

1. To what level of quality should we hold these games? Are they more like Marathons where any mod can do it with no supervision or do we require some sort of experience and game review?
2. How will our listmod work? I would imagine the turnaround between end of sign ups and game beginning needs to be as quick as possible. That's probably not a problem for any listmod to begin with, but running that queue for months on end will be much more onerous.

1) Experience required. I still think anyone who has 6 months of experience could review the game and should.
2) meh I think having a backup list mod could work..
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #121 (isolation #4) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:16 am

Post by farside22 »

The idea of this is to get some new people who like shorter games and seeing if as they progress they may want to play games with longer deadlines.
I read someone saying that mods could just shorten there deadlines and this is true but how many people will find that mod or look for that mod or even know where that game is?
That is why I like the idea of a trial period with quick deadlines. I still think deadlines that are 2-4 RL days is ideal.
See if it brings in new people, keep the games small and if things work well go from there.
That is why it's called a trial period.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”