A Queue for Games with Short Deadlines?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #102 (isolation #0) » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:15 am

Post by Porochaz »

I read this a while back and was completely against it. I've had some time to think and I am still a bit against it but I guess for different reasons.

I would for one, be more interested in seeing A. unique player slots per game and B. Games run per time period to give us more info.

Also Im against replacing any queue and I am not sure why it has been brought up.

Every single queue caters for something different and each of these are wide ranging. Micros were created for people who don't have time for a larger game, and whilst I can see the point in moving them back to minis, they start to become diluted. I would bet that the people playing in micros are different to those playing in minis and larges.

I also think that replacing the open queue is potentially a bad idea, now my knowledge of open games is very little, mainly because I hate having the mystery of the game being ripped out of it, but again I'm betting the players who play opens are different from those who play closed games. Also for me, the main point in it, is for new mods and leaves them with just mini normals to get their one games experience (which might not be a bad thing, especially because there is more demand for them at the moment and it also means they are forced to make a setup) which will jam up the queue. I am also against changing the modding conditions to compensate.

The other 3/4 main queues (including large normals), are probably more mixed with players, but really replacing one of these would be a bad idea (and not being considered as far as I can see) especially for something that other sites already offer.

What's more for something that your already established player base decided they didn't want. Now I can see why you would want to attract more people to the site and certainly time frame would be one of the bigger issues facing getting new players in. I mean let's look at expanding the site, if that's your want but lets not lose a portion of your userbase because of this notion that we have to replace something.

My biggest issue when I saw this thread a few days ago was that it would take players and mods from other parts of the site, and whilst I think that could happen, I don't think it's going to be a big migration. Quick games are going to attract either players who are new and want that quick game or older players who don't want to make that 3 month commitment anymore. It's once again a different player base, and whilst I think that may compete with micros a bit, I don't see it as an issue.

---

TL;DR that graph is unhelpful in that different types of games attract different types of people (imo), replacing a queue is a silly idea for that reason. This new type of game, would mostly attract people who aren't playing otherwise. So my preference would be to add, not replace.

Oh and because I didn't bring up why I'm still against it, its mainly because I've never seen a game in that timeframe work well, I think it allows people who are game whores to get even worse (so a strict limit would be good) and attracts a meta that isn't necessarily good for the site. (although from what I've seen of our current meta anyway, its not much of a point) I also worry that it becomes a diversion for the new players coming in. My worries aren't so much with players on the site, more with players coming in and ignoring the longer games when they can get a shorter fix.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #103 (isolation #1) » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:16 am

Post by Porochaz »

Also can we not turn this into a "that shouldn't be replaced - this should" thread. Each queue has it's own pro's and con's and the whole idea of replacing one is a dumb one.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #105 (isolation #2) » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:35 am

Post by Porochaz »

I think thats quite easy, if you are able to create a queue that is sustainable and has a few games running out of it each week after a few months, and it does not negatively impact the rest of the queues then I'd say that it's a success, if you are only able to fill one a week and it's the same users constantly then I'd consider that a failure.

I mean I look at it like the marathon thread, I can see people getting bored of it pretty quickly once the novelty has worn off, except for a small handful of players. I predict thats what would happen here and if that does happen then you say it was a failed experiment, if it kicks off like the micros did, then yay!
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #114 (isolation #3) » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Post by Porochaz »

In post 103, Porochaz wrote:Also can we not turn this into a "that shouldn't be replaced - this should" thread. Each queue has it's own pro's and con's and the whole idea of replacing one is a dumb one.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #143 (isolation #4) » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:44 am

Post by Porochaz »

Urgh, this is still a thing thats being considered. I was hoping it would die.

I don't see a point in this, the thing about mafiascum was that it was different from other sites which ran mafia games. But I understand the reasoning, get more people interested in the site yadda yadda. I do wonder about the syphoning from the rest of the site, I can see a large majority of players settling for a 2 hour game over a longer commitment, which would effectively kill the rest of the site. However if that's what people are looking for, who am I to disagree.

What I did and still completely object to is a merging/killing off of one of the queues. There is no point, zor (for now I am addressing you). For reason I and others have given before. Each thread caters to its own specific subset. You replace one of those, you lose a subset. How do you guard against it?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”