Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6575 (ISO) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Why go to all the trouble of a competitive pokemon thread when there's a perfectly good thread right here nobody's using?
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6576 (ISO) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:50 pm

Post by DeathNote »

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/colorless-midrange-1/

Artifact/devoid... I wanna make it work somehow!!!!
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6577 (ISO) » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:04 am

Post by Siveure DtTrikyp »

That deck isn't currently midrange at all - it's very much an aggro deck right now.

I also don't quite get why it has to be nearly mono blue.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6578 (ISO) » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:25 am

Post by DeathNote »

Oh I figured since all the aggro decks were kinda faster then me, that I must not be aggro but I can change that.

I just only have a few blue spells. Whats confusing about that? Should I be playing more blue for what I am running?
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6579 (ISO) » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:11 am

Okay, sorry, yes, it is probably actually aggro/midrange, but there is a difference between aggro/midrange and midrange/aggro, and I try not to call a deck midrange unless it's primarily midrange.

Slow aggro is still aggro, it just usually isn't great against other aggro decks.

On mono blue - it's not the blue spells that confuse me, it's the lack of any other colour of spell. I don't see any big reward for being mono blue, other than maybe you stretching your mana to fit a bunch of... probably not actually that great colorless lands?

On why aggro is a bad matchup - you have a bunch of creatures that are significantly slower than most other aggro plans, and your removal is basically worthless against aggro. Not that removal is great in blue ever (why I think you may want to try play more colours).
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #6580 (ISO) » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:39 am

Post by chamber »

hedron archive and reality shift likely need to be cut for better cards, not sure what.

edit: whirler rogue needs to be a 4x too I think?
Taking a break from the site.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6581 (ISO) » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:29 pm

Post by DeathNote »

Ok so then colorless doesn't work is what you're saying ^.^ I wanted to try and make a colorless deck work but it seems hard.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6582 (ISO) » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:07 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 6581, DeathNote wrote:Ok so then colorless doesn't work is what you're saying ^.^ I wanted to try and make a colorless deck work but it seems hard.

I think you can do it, but Hedron Archive and Reality Shift are not good cards, especially for an aggro deck like what you're working on.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6583 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:51 am

When you say colorless, what do you mean?

If you're talking about true colorless, that works so little that you didn't even try it - you ran blue.
If you're talking about devoid colorless, sure that can work, I just don't think you have the right payoffs in mono blue. Foundry of the consuls/rogues passage/tomb of the spirit dragon are all pretty mana intensive, so you dont get some huge payoff for drawing multiples, and if run less you still are likely to draw one/two and have better mana (possibly good enough to play 2 colours). (And rogue's passage in the same deck as whirler rogue? What?)

U/R is nicer, but yeah - you're currently playing two red spells. I think you can fit more of the red devoid eldrazi into the deck, as a lot of them care about tons of colorless.

Hedron archive doesn't accomplish very much here - the ramp doesn't look relevant at all, and 6 mana draw 2 is terrible, and you dont have anything that cares about noncreature artifacts/colorless spells.

Anyway, my take on making some big theme to build your deck around is you have to compete with decks that don't have any theme and are just running a pile of good cards. Staying on theme restricts your available cards and unless you have some reward for staying on theme (like the ruination guide) you're just playing a pile of cards that are worse than someone else's pile. Artifact decks pre-rotation had ensoul artifact - and that card was good enough that you could just warp your deck around having tons of artifacts to enable it. Currently the big colorless synergies are all just eldrazi.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #6584 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:19 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I really want to make RG Landfall Ramp work (Omnath deck, basically), but I just don't know if it will. Keeping fingers crossed for OGW.

Currently playing my (lowbudget) BG Elves still, which was originally mostly netdecked but with my own sideboard and putting in a 1x Might of the Masses for something (I don't even remember what I cut) because I was flooding the board anyway and it was kind of nice.

Just drafted a Greenwarden P1P1 in my last draft, so that'll be in the deck soon too, because more Shamans of the Pack is awesome.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #6585 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:49 am

Post by InflatablePie »

Just gonna leave this here for anyone looking to try Standard on a budget. RB Eldrazi Aggro, with various upgrade paths depending on your budget/card pool.

(he also did an article on standard land destruction and it looks fun, shame I can't justify the cost even if I cut corners on the fetches/tangolands)
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6586 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:57 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

Letting Ythan know that I'm netdecking the hell out of GP Indy when my brew fell apart in testing.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #6587 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:46 am

Post by Ythan »

RIP a unique soul.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #6588 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:17 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Thinking about selling my Ulamog (BFZ), but I was hoping for a price spike after it made top 8 at GP Quebec. Anyone know why it hasn't and whether I can hope for a spike after this or if I should just cash out?
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6589 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 6588, theelkspeaks wrote:Thinking about selling my Ulamog (BFZ), but I was hoping for a price spike after it made top 8 at GP Quebec. Anyone know why it hasn't and whether I can hope for a spike after this or if I should just cash out?

Probably because he isn't a planeswalker.
Wouldn't expect much in the terms of price increase until after standard rotates tbh - out of every single person I play Magic with, I'm the only one who runs Ulamog in almost any mode despite the fact that other players have him.

My view might be limited because I'm still relatively new to Magic but that's my two cents.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #6590 (ISO) » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:42 am

Post by InflatablePie »

So even though I wasn't planning on supporting MTGO after they ditched the old client, I remembered I had a THS Block Constructed deck that was worth like ~25 tickets and saw a really cool Standard deck I wanted to dick around with in my free time. And with my schedule lately, I haven't had time to play any Standard in-person. So I sold all of that off and built this deck with ~20ish tickets (probably closer to like 17-18, but I had to get the cards from a myriad of different bots).

Spoiler: list
Land (25)
3x Blighted Cataract
4x Evolving Wilds
4x Tranquil Cove
5x Island
9x Plains

Creature Removal (17)
1x Celestial Flare
2x Pacifism
4x Silkwrap
4x Stasis Snare
4x Planar Outburst
2x Citadel Siege

Card Draw (10)
3x Ugin's Insight
3x Monastery Siege
4x Sphinx's Tutelage

Permanent Removal (5)
3x Quarantine Field
2x Suppression Bonds

Other (3)
1x Starfield of Nyx
2x Negate

Sideboard:
4x Arashin Cleric
1x Dampening Pulse
2x Orbs of Warding
2x Cranial Archive
1x End Hostilities
1x Celestial Flare
2x Negate
2x Dispel

Source for the deck is here, although I made some changes:
-1 Pacifism / +1 Celestial Flare
-1 Ugin's Insight, -1 Dampening Pulse / +2 Monastery Siege
-1 Suppression Bonds / +1 Citadel Siege
-1 Blighted Cataract / +1 Plains
SB: -1 Dispel, -1 Dragonlord's Perogative / +1 Dampening Pulse, +1 Celestial Flare

As usual with every list I post, the SB probably needs tweaking.

The entire point of the deck is to grind out a win through Sphinx's Tutelage. Tons of spot removal, mostly enchantments (save Celestial Flare, which I'm trying one main/one side as I want two in the 75 for Lumbering Falls), some board wipes, and so on. Citadel Siege works great as a Pacifism you can move around, and Monastery Siege is a pretty good CA engine, working well with Tutelage and the one copy of Starfield. Starfield does turn on our opponent's removal as the deck runs zero creatures otherwise, but it also makes for a nasty engine with Monastery Siege and sometimes allows you to put your opponent dead to both damage and mill on your next turn. Finally, there's two Negate mainboard because the deck has a very hard time coming back from a resolved Ugin. Negate usually has a decent target (some Jeskai spells, Atarka Red pump spells, Bring to Light, and so on) but worst-case we can just pitch it to Monastery Siege if we don't think we need it.

Still fiddling around with the deck a bit, but it's a lot of fun so far and super cheap! I might consider trading towards it in paper, especially considering not much of this deck rotates out with the next rotation (save the Sieges, Tranquil Coves and a few SB cards). I mean obviously it may not be viable, but this isn't exactly a tier 1 deck anyway.

Obviously the mana base needs work but I don't have the ~50 tix for fetches and tangolands, but it's not too bad without them honestly.

bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6591 (ISO) » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:30 pm

Post by bv310 »

Fwiw, I'd consider getting back in to MTGO. They've improved by leaps and bounds in the past year-ish of dev time.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6592 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:40 pm

I was thinking suppression bonds would be terrible. Then I realized "hey, no other way to get rid of planeswalkers, right?"

Still can't beat ugin, but whatever... maybe try disdainful stroke?
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #6593 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:45 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

That's why there's two MB Negate :P

also yeah, thinking of cutting a Cranial Archive for a Stroke, since it's basically a 5th Negate against Control/Ugin/planeswalker decks.

Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #6594 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:48 pm

Post by Ythan »

Pie playing mill? Love it.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #6595 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:49 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 6590, InflatablePie wrote:Still fiddling around with the deck a bit, but it's a lot of fun so far and super cheap!

Mill's cheap because it's shit but it's also the most fun. This is a blessing.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6596 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:07 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Got to see my opponent play the sad post-attack land online tonight. He attacks with his Cliffside Lookout into my 3 open mana on turn 3, I cast Grave Birthing and block to kill his Lookout, he then plays Sandstone Bridge second main phase. I could feel his sadness.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #6597 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:39 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 6591, bv310 wrote:Fwiw, I'd consider getting back in to MTGO. They've improved by leaps and bounds in the past year-ish of dev time.

I hadn't played MTGO in a while, but I wanted something to do to pass some time before the Server downtime later, and it was ISD flashback drafts. So I log on, buy some tickets, it crashes. I go to my collection and it shows 2 tickets, which I assume I already had. I had just tried to buy 14. I go back to the purchase page, it immediately crashes again. Finally I get into it. I join the draft, I'm the first person, cool I'll go do some other stuff, seems like a while has passed so I go back to look at it, 10 seconds left on pack 1, no visual or audio cue that the draft had started. The program is a piece of shit.
Taking a break from the site.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6598 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Post by DeathNote »

I may not be very good at this game or constructed, but I am doing awesome in FNM. I have won two weeks in a row!!!
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #6599 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

did a bfz swiss because I had play points???

went 1-2 with UR devoid because I punted g3m3 two ways. Other deck I lost to had Planar Outburst, Scatter the Winds, the blue sphinx landfall dude, ugins insight...

Meh, won a pack, draft was free nbd. Also picked up two Prairie Streams to fix my mana a bit for UW Marshmallows. Dropped two Evolving Wilds for them, think I might drop one of each basic if I pick up two more, dunno what the right way to slot those in with if I don't plan on acquiring fetches. Don't think I want 4 wilds though.

Return to “The Arcade”