Song Contest 90 (Results up!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (isolation #0) » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:47 am

Post by toolenduso »

Bookmark'd
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (isolation #1) » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:56 am

Post by toolenduso »

All right I have no idea whether people will like my entry or not but I really like the song so it's worth entering it I think.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #77 (isolation #2) » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:23 am

Post by toolenduso »

No love for Daisy?

The first song is boss.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #115 (isolation #3) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Post by toolenduso »

Hooray!

Also, AFI. Whoah.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #142 (isolation #4) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:05 am

Post by toolenduso »

OK here's the youtube playlist in case anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9wW2QjW95G

Left out: Spain, Western Sahara

All the songs are in order, but there's a randomize button in the playlist window once you start playing it that will automatically shuffle them for you.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #153 (isolation #5) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:56 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 145, Plotinus wrote:other things that are yellow: the beeping of the cashier scanning items at the shop, sirens, the squeal of tires, the screech of the tram wheels as it turns the corner, the sound of metal being cut with one of those saw thingies that makes the bright sparks.

songs are better without sounds like these in them.

Oh man you are
not
going to like my song.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #235 (isolation #6) » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:23 am

Post by toolenduso »

First contest where I've actually felt like my entry was the best. It's just that there wasn't a whole lot here that I really liked. Pretty sure Kugelmugel is winning.

My top 10, in order:

Kugelmugel - Mick Jenkins - Shipwrecked: This was pretty cool. Liked the track a lot and the watery sounds. Good rapper. 8/10. Second listen: Ha, I just heard the line "I felt like a saint when I drew that breeze." Nice. Mood change around three minutes in is pretty cool, love that kind of aggressive stutter-step beat. Guess I'd like to hear more from him. This might get my top vote just by virtue of there not being a whole lot else impressive in this contest. 8/10.

NZ - Pusha T - Numbers on the Boards: Very interesting track, love the controlled, sudden silencing of the samples. The rapping's decent. 7/10. Second listen: Really like this one actually. 8/10.

Western Sahara - Larry Gus - The Eternal and the Ephemeral: This is very pretty, in a very clever way, and I really like it. Might actually be my favorite song in this contest, but I'll wait to see how it stacks up on a second listen-through. 9/10. Second listen: OK last time I think I was just excited to have something I actually liked. Upon re-listen, I found myself enjoying it but not caring a whole lot. Like there have been songs in the last two contests that I really liked. This one doesn't rise to that level, but I do appreciate the composition quite a bit. 8/10.

IoM - Meshell Ndegeocello - Friends: This is pretty cool. Feel like this is one I want to listen to again. Like the track a lot and the meandering, atmospheric nature of the song. 8/10. Second listen: That acoustic sample is pretty cool. Lyrics are a little lame, but I don't care a ton about that. Not as lame as the lyrics from that Meg whatsername song or Zola Jesus. Still like this a lot though. 8/10.

India - Melt-Banana - SYEBWYH: Pretty awesome guitar work, fun high-energy song. 7/10. Yeah I like this quite a bit. Think I'll bump it up one. 8/10.

Chad - Victim Effect - Backwoods Gunman and Tricky Lawyers: Interesting intro to the song; the mood changes completely like four times before the vocals begin. This song was pretty good. Hits the nostalgic in me, this is pretty much the stuff I grew up with. 8/10. Second listen: I feel about the same as the first time. 8/10.

Italy - The Uncluded - Boomerang: Like the rapper, but not big on the female vocalist. Just sounds like she's intentionally putting very little volume behind her voice/failing to really commit to the pitch. Not a type of experimentation I'm fond of. Liked the music. 7/10. Second listen: Reminds of Flobots now. Yeah I'd like this more if the female singer/rapper was different. Should still make top 10. 7/10.

Sri Lanka - The Go-Betweens - Streets of Your Town: Very pleasant to listen to and kinda catchy, but a little boring. I feel like I might like the album as a whole. 6/10. Second listen: Yeah I like this one, I'll bump it up. 7/10.

St. Lucia - Panda Bear - Boys Latin: This is nice to listen to. 7/10. Second listen: Yep. 7/10.

Switzerland - Monarch - Perform: Very pretty, both vocally and musically. Good singer, interesting use of what I assume is guitars. 7/10. Second listen: Reminds me of Deas Vail. I do like this just because it's so pretty. Still 7/10.

Note: I messed up the ratings for these but by the time I realized I was too far in to do anything about it (because I felt lazy). Every rating should be one point down basically.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #243 (isolation #7) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:30 am

Post by toolenduso »

I think reck's reviews are reason enough to keep coming back to the song contest.

In post 240, xRECKONERx wrote:shitty-on-purpose/Bright Eyes sound

This is hilarious, and a great description of Bright Eyes.

In post 240, xRECKONERx wrote:Slovenia (AFI): In high school, my basketball team walked out to AFI.

Hahaha I can just see a bunch of skinny pasty-white kids walking out of the locker room in their uniforms and they've got the emo hair and they're wearing guyliner and just putting no effort at all into the game.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #323 (isolation #8) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:35 am

Post by toolenduso »

Wow wasn't expecting that many points but it's my highest total yet. Cool! Glad some people liked it.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #328 (isolation #9) » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:42 pm

Post by toolenduso »

I. Wanna rock and roll all night. And rabble every day.

Return to “General Discussion”