What's wrong with percentage?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #21 (isolation #0) » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:56 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 6, Iecerint wrote:Maybe you could introduce a role where a player can choose between a sure result of lower power or a risk result of higher power.

That way, the player makes a meaningful gambling decision, so they don't feel like they are at the mercy of the RNG.

This feels like it would likely end up being a false decision :/
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #22 (isolation #1) » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:58 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Also there really isn't a reason to add anything else to this thread because randomness is so obviously terrible that we shouldn't even need this thread.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #53 (isolation #2) » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 33, BBmolla wrote:A setup where a mafia chooses if a cop's result is sane or insane every night is interesting as fuck tho

If this is completely unrestricted, then it's bad.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #54 (isolation #3) » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:43 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 51, KarmicGuide wrote:That said... I think it is pretty hard to win as scum if you're new. I don't know if the data backs me up on that or not, but it's my hunch. Especially if the whole scum team is new.

Don't think this is intrinsically true - I was arguably much scarier as scum as a newbie b/c I was relatively decent at baseline, so people underestimated me and gave me towncred for kind of bad reasons. I have a much, much broader toolkit now as scum, but people understand that bag of tricks much better, so I have to be far more strategic in how I use things.

Like, Xenoblade vs. Capcom Madness were night and day in terms of how I got through those games.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #64 (isolation #4) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:01 am

Post by BROseidon »

The difference is that daily doubles are relatively low-impact in the game, whereas in a mafia game a single action going off or not can have massive repercussions.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #72 (isolation #5) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:24 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 71, LicketyQuickety wrote:As for semi-random unreliability I do have a suggesting for a role I can think of off the top of my head. It would function much like a jailkeeper, but with more choice elements. So there is a 30% chance that this role can investigate the person of their choice, a 30% chance that they protect a player of their choice and a 40% chance that the ability fails. I think its is important to stay away from strictly 50% chance because of the psychological effect it has on people, but a three-way people might be able to deal with better. It is really all a matter of perspective on what is desired when it comes to these statistics, and whether mafia at its core should be a static game or a dynamic one with probability.

Okay, why.

What does this role add to the game. How does the rng make the role interesting other than "because it's rng"
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #75 (isolation #6) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:42 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 73, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 72, BROseidon wrote:
In post 71, LicketyQuickety wrote:As for semi-random unreliability I do have a suggesting for a role I can think of off the top of my head. It would function much like a jailkeeper, but with more choice elements. So there is a 30% chance that this role can investigate the person of their choice, a 30% chance that they protect a player of their choice and a 40% chance that the ability fails. I think its is important to stay away from strictly 50% chance because of the psychological effect it has on people, but a three-way people might be able to deal with better. It is really all a matter of perspective on what is desired when it comes to these statistics, and whether mafia at its core should be a static game or a dynamic one with probability.

Okay, why.

What does this role add to the game. How does the rng make the role interesting other than "because it's rng"

Choice. It makes for a richer role that would otherwise not be utilized.

What are you choosing between?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #90 (isolation #7) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:45 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 77, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 75, BROseidon wrote:
In post 73, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 72, BROseidon wrote:

Okay, why.

Choice. It makes for a richer role that would otherwise not be utilized.

What are you choosing between?

You are choosing Two people and the possibility to have a positive utility result for.

Okay, let me phrase this in a better way:

Does this choice actually mean anything relative to what a non-random version would.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #99 (isolation #8) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:24 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 93, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 90, BROseidon wrote:
In post 77, LicketyQuickety wrote:You are choosing Two people and the possibility to have a positive utility result for.

Okay, let me phrase this in a better way:

Does this choice actually mean anything relative to what a non-random version would.

What is your definition of non-random?

Actions controllable by one or more players, and only controlled by said players.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #100 (isolation #9) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:25 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 96, Davsto wrote:
In post 94, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 91, Davsto wrote:
In post 88, AlwaysInnocent wrote:
In post 87, Davsto wrote:That's because the point I am repeating should make it clear enough that randomness is often undesirable. If you include randomness in a game, I guarantee that 99% of the time, after the game has finished, be at least one player will be going "ugh, and we could have won if X had happened/didn't happen", with X being a random element.
I agree. Some people think this has to do with the obsession with winning. Not at all. If I lose, I just want to make sure I fucked up (or one of my teammates), rather than the imaginary dice.

This. Do I play for fun? Sure. You know what's not fun? Losing, not because you didn't play well enough, but because the Random Number Gods decided to say "fuck you".

Damn, you mean I got VT again! If I was cop I would totally have a better chance at "winning".

Role distribution is an entirely unavoidable element of randomness. This is a really bad argument, seriously.

Also individual win rates don't necessarily vary that much by PR.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”