Scumleague FF 2015 (Locke, Yiley, TD37!)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Yiley
Yiley
He/Him
Goon
Yiley
He/Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1350 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:09 am

Post by Yiley »

Well I guess I can accept divisions, because I'm in the playoffs. I'll take divisions
Permanent scum read
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1351 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:18 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

In post 1349, Locke Lamora wrote:
Oh yeah, I'd never claim that divisions don't add an extra element of luck to the process.
I just think that people spend so much time talking about whether teams did or didn't deserve their record but they gloss over the fact that the fundamental H2H structure of most fantasy football leagues is a fairly flawed way to determine which team is 'best', however you want to define it. If you actually want to address what we might define as unfair records, we should just stop using single H2H matchups.

But why are we adding luck to the process when the process already comes with plenty of luck built in?
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1352 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:33 am

Post by Rob14 »

D3, he's saying divisions increase luck, not decrease it. I think you're saying divisions decrease luck, for some reason. Not sure your rationale for that.
Locke Lamora
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1353 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:55 am

Post by Locke Lamora »

No, he hates divisions, he's definitely not saying that. I'm not speaking for everyone but I would say reasons include: people like the matchups that mean a little bit extra (particularly with the schedule set up to have the three divisional matchups the last three weeks); they like some semblance of rivalry with certain teams (even if it's just for a season or two); and in some cases they like the fact that pretty much anyone can get into the playoffs, regardless of experience or skill level.

I'm not sure everyone would phrase the last one that way, but fundamentally I think adding more randomness keeps teams interested that otherwise would not be because the competition is always going to cluster more closely around the mean when you add extra luck, and that gives you more variety in playoff (and in our case relegation) teams from year to year.
If ya smell what The Locke is cookin'!

"Locke Lamora and Andrius, defying all logic since 1081."
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1354 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:28 am

Post by AGar »

With twelve teams, there's no good way to do the schedule. Divisions don't make it better in that aspect, but it definitely adds some different aspects of fun to it. Rivalries can grow and you can look forward to a revenge match down the line. Yes, there's a level of suck inherent when one of the four best teams misses the playoffs, but just doing twelve teams in a line for an online only league kinda makes shit boring. It's one thing for my money league where we all hang out on Sundays and drink and shit talk. It's a different story for MS L1 where I've only met 1 of the 12 in person and very briefly at that. There's some other things cultivated from other leagues (I still have never beaten LL I'm pretty sure in anything fantasy related) but that's about it.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1355 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:15 am

Post by Rob14 »

I'd much rather have rivalry weeks than divisions. Basically, designate three rivalry weeks where games don't count toward standings, but they allow teams to pick their opponents mutually (before the draft) and play for bragging rights. This is already possible in Yahoo's system.

The advantages include:

- No randomness. Every team would play every other team ONCE in games that affect regular season standings. This addresses the argument that divisions are good because it gives a rationale for which teams you're playing twice.
- No BYEs needed to achieve every team playing every other team once. Some players made the valid point that BYEs are boring earlier in the thread.
- Allows rivalries. I'd love to be pitted against Lamora and Agar twice next season, but that is awful from a division standpoint because they consistently compile great teams. Rivalry weeks allow the "real" rivalries to play twice without care toward balance. The games are still interesting, because you can choose opponents that you really would want to beat.
- No divisions needed. Reduces the playoff implications of arbitrary randomness.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1356 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:16 am

Post by Rob14 »

^ Not sure if that would work in L2 and L3, where longstanding rivalries are not as much a thing due to turnover, but it could absolutely work in L1.
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #1357 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:40 am

Post by pickemgenius »

no randomness----fantasy football

choose one.

the biggest voice of the division stuff is the guy who had the fewest points scored on him for the year.

so

welcome to fantasy football. shit happens.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1358 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:44 am

Post by AGar »

In post 1355, Rob14 wrote:I'd much rather have rivalry weeks than divisions. Basically, designate three rivalry weeks where games don't count toward standings, but they allow teams to pick their opponents mutually (before the draft) and play for bragging rights. This is already possible in Yahoo's system.

The advantages include:

- No randomness. Every team would play every other team ONCE in games that affect regular season standings. This addresses the argument that divisions are good because it gives a rationale for which teams you're playing twice.
- No BYEs needed to achieve every team playing every other team once. Some players made the valid point that BYEs are boring earlier in the thread.
- Allows rivalries. I'd love to be pitted against Lamora and Agar twice next season, but that is awful from a division standpoint because they consistently compile great teams. Rivalry weeks allow the "real" rivalries to play twice without care toward balance. The games are still interesting, because you can choose opponents that you really would want to beat.
- No divisions needed. Reduces the playoff implications of arbitrary randomness.

I was unaware this was a thing that could be done.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1359 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:16 pm

Post by Rob14 »

In post 1357, pickemgenius wrote:no randomness----fantasy football

choose one.

the biggest voice of the division stuff is the guy who had the fewest points scored on him for the year.

so

Not looking for no randomness, just less. Plus I want to rematch vs Agar and Lamora.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #1360 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:26 pm

Post by Talitha »

Due to my untimely elimination I must proceed to take out my frustration by crushing mith this week in the GL league.
Axxle
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1361 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Post by Axxle »

Having weeks not counting for record will make actual player bye weeks a bit weird to draft towards.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #1362 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:41 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

If a week didn't count, I'd probably ignore it completely. Takes the fun out of it
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #1363 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:32 am

Post by PokerFace »

I agree with kmd i would rather all things mattered
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #1364 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:48 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 1210, Kublai Khan wrote:Whoever wins L1 sets the league setup rules?

I still like my idea. Instead of arguing in thread about pros and cons of blablittyblahblah, let's give power and glory to the winner. Want to change who we run things? Then win.

Winners change things. Losers gripe.

(is a griper who has barely managed to stay in L2 for another year.)

(L2 4 life!)
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1365 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:50 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

In post 1353, Locke Lamora wrote:No, he hates divisions, he's definitely not saying that. I'm not speaking for everyone but I would say reasons include: people like the matchups that mean a little bit extra (particularly with the schedule set up to have the three divisional matchups the last three weeks); they like some semblance of rivalry with certain teams (even if it's just for a season or two); and in some cases they like the fact that pretty much anyone can get into the playoffs, regardless of experience or skill level.

I'm not sure everyone would phrase the last one that way, but fundamentally I think adding more randomness keeps teams interested that otherwise would not be because the competition is always going to cluster more closely around the mean when you add extra luck, and that gives you more variety in playoff (and in our case relegation) teams from year to year.

A) I'm not convinced this is actually true. In fact, in L2 this year it seems like we got the opposite result, with three weeks to play every game other than one mattered in the playoff race for D2 and D3 but that would've been the case without divisions as well. But none of the games in D1 mattered in the last three weeks but without divisions suddenly every game PEG played would've been vitally important.
B) L1 was so devoid of rivalry last year that we picked some arbitrary thing to create divisions on; this year in L2 they were completely random. I feel no sense of rivalry with any of them, nor anyone else I could be paired up with. We've already got PF making divisions for next year based on arbitrary criteria. Rivalry might've mattered once, it's not exactly important after so many years of relegation.
C) This argument is goofy, getting rid of divisions will make results more correlated to what little skill this game requires and that's a bad thing? Look if you'd decided you wanted players from Florida teams in the draft and picked up Lamar Miller, Doug Martin, and Blake Bortles you'd be in the playoffs and everyone at the time of the draft would've thought you mad. There's more than enough variance already for "good" players to lose and "bad" players to win.

In post 1357, pickemgenius wrote:no randomness----fantasy football

choose one.

so

Ooh an ad hom, let me try one. Or maybe we shouldn't listen to the guy who only made the playoffs because he randomly got placed in the bad division. I know you don't care about the facts but I started making these arguments last year when IS (who I don't even like) got minorly screwed by the divisional structure in L1.
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #1366 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:55 am

Post by Flameaxe »

Someone should get ddd some cheese

Edit: I would be less inclined to return next year with the rivalry week schedule.
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
Locke Lamora
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1367 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:28 am

Post by Locke Lamora »

The divisional matchups do mean more just because they count towards the tiebreaker. It might only be a little bit more overall because that doesn't come into play very often, but a divisional win helps your playoff chances more than a non divisional one. As for whether scheduling the last three games in-division makes for more or fewer late-season decisive matchups, I don't know, and anecdotal evidence is irrelevant when trying to prove or disprove it. Maybe I'll run a bunch of simulations to find out but what people believe about it won't be based on actual statistical evidence.

I'm not arguing that any of these reasons are good or that they make the league better for players who are actually 'good'. You just asked why we do it, and I made some suggestions for why people like it this way, in spite of the fact that it introduces more luck into the process. It is goofy from the perspective of making the results favour the better teams, but as we've seen, the teams who sneak into the playoffs as a result of the divisional structure are happy about it, and the teams who get an easier matchup in the playoffs as a result probably aren't bothered either.

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1368 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:06 am

Post by Rob14 »

Ah, well. Then I hope I'm not in a division with Lamora and Agar next year I guess, since it'd be unbalanced as hell. Guess no enduring rivalries. ;(
Locke Lamora
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1369 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:17 am

Post by Locke Lamora »

I'll happily be in a division with you guys, sounds good.

Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1370 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:27 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 1364, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 1210, Kublai Khan wrote:Whoever wins L1 sets the league setup rules?

I still like my idea. Instead of arguing in thread about pros and cons of blablittyblahblah, let's give power and glory to the winner. Want to change who we run things? Then win.

Winners change things. Losers gripe.

(is a griper who has barely managed to stay in L2 for another year.)

(L2 4 life!)

Well all I need is just for one of the people who qualifies for league two to not play again next year and I'll be back!
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #1371 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:28 am

Post by Flameaxe »

In post 1369, Locke Lamora wrote:I'll happily be in a division with you guys, sounds good.

Yeah you guys should do this
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #1372 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:53 am

Post by T-Bone »

The griping will just change too "so and so only made the playoffs cause of his easier unbalanced schedule" so sure let's do away with divisions so we can hear that one next year! Then the year after that we can just do EPE! It's the only fair solution!
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1373 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:14 pm

Post by AGar »

In post 1369, Locke Lamora wrote:I'll happily be in a division with you guys, sounds good.

I like a good challenge.

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1374 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:05 pm

Post by Rob14 »

Challenge? Good. Unbalanced? Not good. I don't think it's a good idea to throw three of the five best teams into the same division next year. I wouldn't be opposed to two of us together, ofc. I've been in Lamora's division twice in a row (he made playoffs once, I made playoffs once) so I'd kind of like to continue that so I can win the tie-breaker and then never be in the same division again. :P

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”