False Positives - Bastard or not?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (isolation #0) » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:06 pm

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

About false positives in general (insane cop, etc). In open setups, they are not bastard. In closed setups, they are.

To make scum look for something that is not really there (can only work in closed setups) does seem semi-bastard at least.
"You've been furthering the win condition of the Mafia even better than the Mafia." - Dierfire
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (isolation #1) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:08 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 8, BROseidon wrote:Miller with a cop is also bad design, so...
Why? If it is an open setup, then it makes the Cop just a little less reliable. Assuming that the Miller flips as Miller.
"You've been furthering the win condition of the Mafia even better than the Mafia." - Dierfire
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (isolation #2) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:15 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 10, Dwlee99 wrote:I hate open setups. Soooo much. So easy to break the game.
Not necessarily. These games can still be balanced. A breaking strategy implies that one team has an advantage over the other team by employing the breaking strategy. But it has already been proven that even with optimal strategies (such as Follow The Cop and others) the game can still be balanced.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (isolation #3) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:33 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 12, Dwlee99 wrote:My first open setup there were a certain amount of each type of role. Mass claim led to systematic lynches. It was stupid because there was no way to stay safe from PoE because of the claims.
Well, if you had many PRs, then it is not the fault of open setups in general.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (isolation #4) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:15 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

I would suggest calling it something different than Godfather (if you want to use this role), to avoid any confusion. It is best not to diverge from how the Godfather role is conventionally understood. When I see a Godfather role, I immediately associate it with "when investigated by a cop, returns town". The role name then acts as a abbreviation for the description, so that it is easily understood by others without requiring the effort to explain it. Breaking this means that people end up being confused.

This is why I don't like roles that do not have a single definition, like the Vanilla Cop.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (isolation #5) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:20 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 25, Zachrulez wrote:Well for the purposes of normal games the Vanilla Cop only does have a single definition, as does the godfather. Variants are actually being named to prevent confusion.
Oh. Never mind then. I missed that part.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (isolation #6) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:34 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

The Wiki didn't seem very clear on whether it is common to name variants. The Normal guidelines were also at the bottom of the article (which made me overlook them). Would it not make more sense to make the Normal definition the primary definition on the Wiki and move the variations to a subsection at the bottom instead?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”