Mastin Academy

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #227 (isolation #0) » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Post by T S O »

I'm taking over Mastin Academy. Direct all questions to me. I may also start posting from my mastin2 account, so don't be alarmed if I start making jokes on it.
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #231 (isolation #1) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:09 am

Post by T S O »

In post 229, mastin2 wrote:Yeah, just so newbies are aware, TSO is trolling; he is not me.

One of my classic jokes!
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #234 (isolation #2) » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:06 am

Post by T S O »

Alternatively, grease up those wheels and hop the fuck on.
-Marquis
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #256 (isolation #3) » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:51 am

Post by T S O »

What
would
mastin do?
-Marquis
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #273 (isolation #4) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Post by T S O »

In post 265, Plotinus wrote:how can i improve?

I had this problem for a while where I basically expected that 9/10 games as town, or scum, but in particular the former, I was going to single-handedly have to win the game by myself, and when this didn't happen I would feel disappointed and angry at my failure to do it.

I didn't really get over the issue, I just kinda accepted that I couldn't be the saviour all the time. As well, I was dying within the first night or two so often that no matter how well I played on day 1 or 2, I'd be dead and scum would probably just dismantle town anyway.

As for scum, constantly getting Guiltied seemed to remedy that issue nicely.
-Marquis
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #298 (isolation #5) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:56 am

Post by T S O »

In post 227, T S O wrote:I'm taking over Mastin Academy. Direct all questions to me. I may also start posting from my mastin2 account, so don't be alarmed if I start making jokes on it.
-Marquis
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #299 (isolation #6) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:57 am

Post by T S O »

In post 297, xRECKONERx wrote:mastin i rlly want ur opinion of my play

You need to listen to others more, and you also need to push your own reads more. You need to be aware that sometimes you're wrong, and you need to doubt yourself less.
-Marquis
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #303 (isolation #7) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:00 am

Post by T S O »

Anyone else for advice?
-Marquis
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #307 (isolation #8) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:23 am

Post by T S O »

Advice shall be granted. Speak now.
-Marquis
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #310 (isolation #9) » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:40 am

Post by T S O »

In post 308, Jake from State Farm wrote:I'd like advice on how to improve, please

Thank you

What specifically is your problem? Towngame, scumgame, scumhunting? I'm not omniscient, Jake. I just seem like it.

In post 309, Untrod Tripod wrote:do me next, TSO

I think what ails you is your secret desire to create a Wild West-style unmoderated wasteland where all can run free, and frolic in the piranha-infested waters. Much as you wanted to, you feel held down, chained by your fellow moderators. Your subconscious has even created a name for this bastion of liberty. It's screaming out to me. The same words, over and over. "FORUM 26, FORUM 26."

That, or you need to improve your Tinder game by bombarding women with dick pics immediately upon match.
-Marquis
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #313 (isolation #10) » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:55 am

Post by T S O »

Well, it's kinda difficult to produce a panacea for every ailment there is. Could you be slightly more specific, UT?

Davsto - a pleasure.
-Marquis
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #318 (isolation #11) » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:18 pm

Post by T S O »

In post 315, Jake from State Farm wrote:
In post 310, T S O wrote:What specifically is your problem? Towngame, scumgame, scumhunting? I'm not omniscient, Jake. I just seem like it.

I play well imo, meaning people usually do good at reading me as town and I feel they can't read me as scum but I have trouble convincing people to lynch the person I feel is scum especially when I put together a case I feel is good. I also have trouble changing my focus when people don't make good cases.

So, the issue isn't finding scum, it's convincing others that you have. It's likely a charisma issue, then.

How do you go about convincing people to vote your suspect? 90% of the time, hanging your case out there isn't going to get you anywhere near a lynch, at least not by itself. If you complain that nobody's voting the obvious scum after you've made your great case, people are likely to become even more resistant. It can get to the stage where people may wilfully not vote your suspect, simply because it's you pushing it. Cases are as much about how you push them, and people's perceptions of you, than the actual content within them.

You have to try to cajole people into voting. You're the catalyst for success here - if you do nothing, town are just going to trip over their own incompetency and lose, so you have to be actively pushing your own plans and scumreads constantly. If you can, picking up powerful allies is a great way to go about it. If nobody is going for your case, you should explain why the case they
are
going for is bad. You can straddle the line between honesty and dishonesty in your appraisal of these other cases - you might be lying, but it's all for the greater good, so feel no guilt.

Getting into an argument with your suspect is likely to do no good, unless the points are close to irrefutable, and allows them to throw up a smokescreen. At least one person will dismiss the argument as TvT if you do this. If they start pushing you as scum, don't waste time defending yourself - you need to continue your push. If you really have to respond, be as succinct and cutting about it as you can. And above all, don't show doubt. People trust confidence. Inside, even the best players have occasional doubts about the scumreads they're pushing, but your case dies when you yourself publicly lose faith in it.
-Marquis
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #319 (isolation #12) » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:19 pm

Post by T S O »

With regard to your second point - you shouldn't feel guilty for other people lacking communication skills.

My troll takeover of mastin's thread suddenly became serious. Huh.
-Marquis

Return to “Mafia Discussion”